What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oakland A's thread (1 Viewer)

Dr. Awesome

Footballguy
I planned on firing this up after the World Series but Billy Beane has made a big trade. So let's get it underway. Sad the season came to a close so soon but taking it to game 5 and finishing the season as AL West division champs is a great accomplishment. We'll see how the team fares next season. Meanwhile, Pennington was traded away and we landed another former Diamondback, Chris Young.

Though Billy Beane forecast an unusually quiet winter just last week, the A's general manager was back to his old ways on Saturday, swinging an early offseason deal with the D-backs that brought him veteran center fielder Chris Young.In exchange for Young and cash considerations totaling $500,000 to offset the All-Star's salary, the A's traded away infielder Cliff Pennington and infield prospect Yordy Cabrera, who was then flipped to the Marlins in a deal for reliever Heath Bell.The addition of Young immediately, albeit presumably, brought into question the fate of speedy table-setter Coco Crisp, set to make $7 million with the A's in the final year of a two-year contract. But Beane, speaking on a conference call Saturday night, denied that Crisp is suddenly on the trade block."There's no need to go down that road," Beane said. "Everybody knows how important this guy is to our team. He also has the benefit of being a personal favorite of mine."Those around Crisp -- notably left fielder Yoenis Cespedes, right fielder Josh Reddick and outfielder and designated hitter Seth Smith -- also seem safe. The same cannot be said of 2012 clubhouse ringleader Jonny Gomes, who appears to be the odd man out and, in turn, targeted for free agency, after Beane said Young's presence "will have an impact" on the possibility of his return.Having five proven outfielders on hand is a good problem to have, Beane noted, as surplus is often diminished because of injuries. This team understands that just as much as any other, after a season in which Crisp and Cespedes combined to miss 75 games as a result of injuries. So added depth, particularly in the form of Young, is always welcomed."We had a very productive outfield last year and were able to get a lot of playing time for everyone involved," he said. "We had, in my opinion, one of the deeper outfields in the game, and I think this is another way of duplicating that."This is a really good player and someone whose talent we've admired for a long time."Beane entered into conversations about Young with longtime friend and Arizona general manager Kevin Towers the day after Oakland lost Game 5 of the AL Division Series to the Tigers. The pair has made plenty of headlines in recent years, including an August deal that brought shortstop Stephen Drew to the A's. Pennington's absence bodes well for the return of Drew, who holds a $10 million mutual option.If either side declines, Drew will become a free agent. But Beane sounded intent on preventing that, saying he plans to contact Drew's agent, Scott Boras, very soon.Young, who turned 29 last month, is a career .239 hitter with a likable combination of power and speed. In seven Major League seasons, each with Arizona, he's averaged 24 home runs and 21 stolen bases, all while showcasing excellent defense -- a common trait among Oakland's outfield.Young finished the 2012 campaign with a slash line that read .231/.311/.434, getting off to a hot start by hitting .410 with a 1.397 OPS through mid-April, before injuring his right shoulder while crashing into the outfield wall and posting a dismal .206 mark the rest of the way. A quadriceps muscle injury ended his season in September, but Young said Saturday he's fully healthy.Moreover, though strictly a center fielder since high school, he said playing the corner positions "is not a challenge I wouldn't be willing to take or figure out.""I'm excited about a new opportunity," he added. "Just watching Oakland on TV and having a few friends who ended up getting traded over there and playing there, I've just heard amazing things. I'm excited to help."Young, who played under Bob Melvin during the manager's time at the helm in Arizona, will make $8.5 million next season. He is also carrying an $11 million club option for 2014 that includes a $1.5 million buyout, created when he signed a five-year deal worth $28 million before 2009.With that in mind, combined with the prospect of Drew's $10 million option, Beane confirmed the team's payroll will definitely increase from the $55 million budget it held this year.For Pennington, who was Oakland's longest tenured position player, he departs the only team he's ever known, having enjoyed parts of five seasons with the A's, who selected him with their first pick in the 2005 Draft.Pennington hit .215 with a .278 on-base percentage and .311 slugging mark for Oakland this season. Such production led the A's to bring in Drew in late August, and Pennington subsequently was moved to second base. His departure frees up the everyday spot for Scott Sizemore, whom Beane revealed Saturday will indeed move from third base back to his natural second base. Jemile Weeks and Adam Rosales, meanwhile, give the A's depth there, and Josh Donaldson will resume everyday duties at the hot corner.It's a group Young watched with close attention down the stretch."Honestly, I was pulling for them," he said. "I've always been a fan of the teams that have been able to beat the odds."

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the deal for the Oaklands. They're buying low on Young; his defense is worth about his $8.5M salary over a full season. The Coliseum won't do his offense any favors though. Beane now has way more OF that he needs but he has plenty of time to make more moves.

The A's declined their part of the $10M mutual option they held on Stephen Drew. They'll pay a $1.35M buyout but plan to continue negotiating with Drew and Boras.

Grant Balfour's $4.5M option was picked up.

The A's declined their part of the $10M mutual option they held on Stephen Drew. They'll pay a $1.35M buyout but plan to continue negotiating with Drew and Boras.Grant Balfour's $4.5M option was picked up.
Picking up Balfour's option was a no-brainer. Really hoping Drew comes back but 10 million seemed silly. Glad they declined but dealing with Boras is always a headache.Free agents have clearly avoided coming to Oakland the past several years despite the A's making numerous offers. It's going to be very interesting to see if making the playoffs is going to change the perception of playing across the bay from the World Series champions.

The free agent SS crop is pretty dismal. They traded away Pennington and their best long-term minor league SS prospect Yordy Cabrera this month, although Cabrera isn't a great prospect or Major League ready. Beane will have somebody to play short before the music stops. He has OFs and bullpen arms to deal. It should be interesting :popcorn:

Oakland signed Bartolo to a one year deal. Reportedly for a 3 million base with lots of incentives. He's been pitching well in winter leagues so they decided to take a gamble on him.

Oakland signed Bartolo to a one year deal. Reportedly for a 3 million base with lots of incentives. He's been pitching well in winter leagues so they decided to take a gamble on him.
Watching Oakland it seemed like starting pitching was strong. Colon is a little long in the tooth.

Watching Oakland it seemed like starting pitching was strong. Colon is a little long in the tooth.
You can never have too much pitching. $3M is a bargain if Colon's arm has another 150 IP in it. Unfortunately, I think this move signals the end of the Amanda McCarthy era in the East Bay.

Melvin named Manager of the Year.
:thumbup: I'll take it, but if I had been able to vote I would have picked Showalter. They both did an incredibly job and can't really argue against either.
The O's barely outscored the opposition in a weaker division. :shrug:
I thought Baltimore exceeded expectations more than Oakland. Then again I'm an overly optimistic homer who picked Oakland to finish above 500. There's a big difference between a winning record and the second highest winning percent in the AL while winning the division but I thought Baltimore would be lucky to sniff 81 wins. Nonetheless I'm happy. Who are they going to get at shortstop? If Drew doesn't come back...maybe Lowrie?

'Dr. Awesome said:
Who are they going to get at shortstop? If Drew doesn't come back...maybe Lowrie?
Houston controls Lowrie for two more years. Considering he's one of a small handful of Major Leaguers on their 40 man, I don't see them giving him up.FA SS is pretty thin. Jason Bartlett is an East Bay native but hasn't hit for a couple of years. Yuni Betancourt is pretty terrible. Beane has extra OF and pitching to deal and three months to do it. Yunel Escobar can probably be had for a song. Asdrubal Cabrera may be available.

'Dr. Awesome said:
Who are they going to get at shortstop? If Drew doesn't come back...maybe Lowrie?
Houston controls Lowrie for two more years. Considering he's one of a small handful of Major Leaguers on their 40 man, I don't see them giving him up.FA SS is pretty thin. Jason Bartlett is an East Bay native but hasn't hit for a couple of years. Yuni Betancourt is pretty terrible. Beane has extra OF and pitching to deal and three months to do it. Yunel Escobar can probably be had for a song. Asdrubal Cabrera may be available.
There's been talk Houston is open to moving him. It always depends on the cost. Yeah, I'd be okay with Yunel. Wanted him last year before they landed Drew but don't think they should give up anything of significance. Thankfully Miami has him now. Toronto for whatever reason seemed to value him somewhat highly.

Ugh on Yunel. Getting Drew back is ideal, IMO. Cabrera would cost money + prospects, and is a lousy defender. Not really sure how he fits in with Clevo and all those groundballers.

I'd like to see the A's go after Matt Carpenter of the Cards for 3B. He's blocked at the corners by Craig and Freese.

Ugh on Yunel. Getting Drew back is ideal, IMO. Cabrera would cost money + prospects, and is a lousy defender. Not really sure how he fits in with Clevo and all those groundballers.I'd like to see the A's go after Matt Carpenter of the Cards for 3B. He's blocked at the corners by Craig and Freese.
Yeah, Drew is target #1. Still would take Escobar over Pennington. Guess winning the AL West still hasn't raised my standards much. :yucky: Carpenter would be a fantastic acquisition. I'd love to see them land a 3rd baseman. I'm not sold on Donaldson being the answer, though he did start hitting once he wasn't allowed to butcher the catcher position. Maybe that took a big toll. :shrug:Boston reportedly is considering going after Chili Davis and making him their hitting coach. Get your damn dirty paws off our coaches! :rant: Oakland's minor league pitching coordinator since 2008, Gil Patterson, has left us for the Yankees. Sad day. Gil started with Oakland in 96, left for Arizona for a bit, but has allegedly played a big role in helping our young arms perfect their craft. Let's hope his replacement, Scott Emerson, keeps up the great work. Reds GM says he's open to moving one of his shortstops (Cozart, Gregorius) if he can find a lead off hitting outfielder. There's always that Japanese shortstop the Yankees couldn't sign last offseason. And lastly, for the long time Oakland Athletic fans, Walt Weiss has been named manager for the Colorado Rockies. :thumbup:

'Dr. Awesome said:
'Good said:
Ugh on Yunel. Getting Drew back is ideal, IMO. Cabrera would cost money + prospects, and is a lousy defender. Not really sure how he fits in with Clevo and all those groundballers.I'd like to see the A's go after Matt Carpenter of the Cards for 3B. He's blocked at the corners by Craig and Freese.
Yeah, Drew is target #1. Still would take Escobar over Pennington. Guess winning the AL West still hasn't raised my standards much. :yucky: Carpenter would be a fantastic acquisition. I'd love to see them land a 3rd baseman. I'm not sold on Donaldson being the answer, though he did start hitting once he wasn't allowed to butcher the catcher position. Maybe that took a big toll. :shrug:Boston reportedly is considering going after Chili Davis and making him their hitting coach. Get your damn dirty paws off our coaches! :rant: Oakland's minor league pitching coordinator since 2008, Gil Patterson, has left us for the Yankees. Sad day. Gil started with Oakland in 96, left for Arizona for a bit, but has allegedly played a big role in helping our young arms perfect their craft. Let's hope his replacement, Scott Emerson, keeps up the great work. Reds GM says he's open to moving one of his shortstops (Cozart, Gregorius) if he can find a lead off hitting outfielder. There's always that Japanese shortstop the Yankees couldn't sign last offseason. And lastly, for the long time Oakland Athletic fans, Walt Weiss has been named manager for the Colorado Rockies. :thumbup:
I assume Hamilton's untouchable.Crisp for Cozart is something I'd be completely behind.

Tyson Ross sent to San Diego for SS Andy Parrino and P Andrew Warner. Parrino doesn't hit for power or average. Doesn't seem to steal bases either.

Tyson Ross sent to San Diego for SS Andy Parrino and P Andrew Warner. Parrino doesn't hit for power or average. Doesn't seem to steal bases either.
A.J. Kirby-Jones is the most intriguing guy in the deal. He's a three true outcomes 1B with 89 BB, 128 SO and 21 HR in the California League. His slash line was .248/.382/.461. I know it's the Cal League and he's 24 years old. Chances are he'll never reach the show but it's fun to over-project minor league sluggers.

'Eephus said:
'East Coast Bias said:
A.J. Kirby-Jones is the most intriguing guy in the deal. He's a three true outcomes 1B with 89 BB, 128 SO and 21 HR in the California League. His slash line was .248/.382/.461. I know it's the Cal League and he's 24 years old. Chances are he'll never reach the show but it's fun to over-project minor league sluggers.
It's a great deal just for dumping Ross. Seems like a great guy but just isn't someone I ever wanted on the mound. GPJ makes some great points in the baseball thread - there are some things to like about this deal. I'll take the young potential over the proven mediocrity, even if the young guys are long shots.Bud Selig on moving to San Jose - You're not going to get a ####### answer.

'Eephus said:
'East Coast Bias said:
It's a great deal just for dumping Ross. Seems like a great guy but just isn't someone I ever wanted on the mound. GPJ makes some great points in the baseball thread - there are some things to like about this deal. I'll take the young potential over the proven mediocrity, even if the young guys are long shots.Bud Selig on moving to San Jose - You're not going to get a ####### answer.
I honestly have no idea how Tyson Ross ended up on the MLB roster, much less making dozens of starts. He is horrible.

Do the A's have any plans to shore up their abysmal infield?

They have a couple OF pieces, and young pitching. They need to upgarade at least 2 of 4 of the IF spots.

Do the A's have any plans to shore up their abysmal infield? They have a couple OF pieces, and young pitching. They need to upgarade at least 2 of 4 of the IF spots.
There are still a lot of moving pieces. Cincy could be a potential trading partner. So could Cleveland. Barring that, they might just roll the dice with Parrino. But given the lack of money, a team like Oakland kind of has to wait for the dust to settle on the big guys and then pick from the rubble.

Do the A's have any plans to shore up their abysmal infield? They have a couple OF pieces, and young pitching. They need to upgarade at least 2 of 4 of the IF spots.
There are still a lot of moving pieces. Cincy could be a potential trading partner. So could Cleveland. Barring that, they might just roll the dice with Parrino. But given the lack of money, a team like Oakland kind of has to wait for the dust to settle on the big guys and then pick from the rubble.
:goodposting: Though I'm not going to call it absymal. They're going to give Weeks another shot at 2nd. As they should. They're good enough at first. Looks like Donaldson is going to be given some rope at 3rd. At catcher it seems reasonable to see how Norris comes along. Shortstop is a glaring hole but as mentioned above, there are still a lot of moves Beane can make. We'll see how things shake out once the dust settles. Sure it's not as nice as being the Yankees and buying stars at every position, but for a lower budget team who has difficulty recruiting free agents, I'm comfortable gambling on most of the current roster. And no matter what Oakland acquires in the offseason, Beane will surely make whatever moves necessary once the season gets underway and needs become apparent.

From mlbtraderumors:

The A's announced that they designated infielder Brandon Hicks and right-hander Jim Miller for assignment. They added Arnold Leon, Grant Green, Shane Peterson and Michael Ynoa to the 40-man roster in related moves.
The Royals have been shopping top prospect Wil Myers but only in exchange for starting pitching, reports Yahoo Sports' Jeff Passan. Earlier this week, Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reported that Kansas City was known to be at least listening to offers for Myers and top position players like Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, Mike Moustakas and Eric Hosmer. The only untouchable Royals appear to be Alcides Escobar and Salvador Perez due to their team-friendly contracts --- "executives consider [Perez's deal] the best in the game," Passan writes.The Royals have discussed trades with the Rays, Mariners, Diamondbacks and Athletics, Passan reports. While Myers would be of interest to any team, he is of particular value to low-payroll teams like the Rays and A's given that Gordon and Butler have large contracts and Moustakas/Hosmer are Scott Boras clients.

The A's announced that they designated infielder Brandon Hicks and right-hander Jim Miller for assignment. They added Arnold Leon, Grant Green, Shane Peterson and Michael Ynoa to the 40-man roster in related moves.
Hicks was just traded to the Mets. Dealing SS appears to be the new market inefficiency
The Royals have been shopping top prospect Wil Myers but only in exchange for starting pitching, reports Yahoo Sports' Jeff Passan. Earlier this week, Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reported that Kansas City was known to be at least listening to offers for Myers and top position players like Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, Mike Moustakas and Eric Hosmer. The only untouchable Royals appear to be Alcides Escobar and Salvador Perez due to their team-friendly contracts --- "executives consider [Perez's deal] the best in the game," Passan writes.The Royals have discussed trades with the Rays, Mariners, Diamondbacks and Athletics, Passan reports. While Myers would be of interest to any team, he is of particular value to low-payroll teams like the Rays and A's given that Gordon and Butler have large contracts and Moustakas/Hosmer are Scott Boras clients.
Dayton Moore is in job-saving mode.

I'm seeing that Ryan Sweeney wasn't tendered by the BoSox. I thought he was very underrated wouldn't mind seeing the A's picking him back up

'mr fancypants said:
I'm seeing that Ryan Sweeney wasn't tendered by the BoSox. I thought he was very underrated wouldn't mind seeing the A's picking him back up
The Oaklands already have nine OFs on the 40 man roster :shrug:

'mr fancypants said:
The Oaklands already have nine OFs on the 40 man roster :shrug:
Beane is going for a baker's dozen. Sweeney is a decent outfielder. No power whatsoever. A's have no need for this guy. I would be unhappy if he returned to Oakland. They're more than stacked in the outfield.

Good to see Nakajima sign with the team. Hopefully he'll pan out and Russell will be ready for the majors as this contract comes to an end. Scouting reports have his defense as being less than ideal and probably better suited at second. But there aren't a lot of options so here's hoping he's decent. Also, that's one helluva leg kick he has. Good grief. Wonder if that's going to translate well. :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD_3zgKA-UE

Good to see Nakajima sign with the team. Hopefully he'll pan out and Russell will be ready for the majors as this contract comes to an end. Scouting reports have his defense as being less than ideal and probably better suited at second. But there aren't a lot of options so here's hoping he's decent. Also, that's one helluva leg kick he has. Good grief. Wonder if that's going to translate well. :unsure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD_3zgKA-UE
Ichiro says he is a good hitter and will play solid defense. We're good here.

The Athletics have signed manager Bob Melvin to a two-year contract extension, the team announced. The deal will keep the reigning AL Manager of the Year in Oakland through 2016.Melvin, 51, replaced Bob Geren as manager back in June 2011. The club has gone 141-120 under his watch, including a surprising 94-68 finish this past season. The rookie-laden Athletics won the AL West, overtaking the Rangers on the final day of the season.Melvin previously managed the Mariners (2003-04) and Diamondbacks (2005-09), winning the NL Manager of the Year award back in 2007. His lifetime record as a big league skipper is 634-628.
-MlbtraderumorsGlad to see him extended. Hoping they'll work out a deal for Parker soon enough.

First crack at lineups:vs LHP1. Crisp - CF2. Young - LF3. Reddick - RF4. Cespedes - DH5. Carter - 1B6. Sizemore - 3B / Donaldson - 3B7. Nakajima - SS8. Weeks - 2B9. Norris - Cvs RHP1. Crisp - CF2. Moss - 1B3. Reddick - RF4. Cespedes - DH/LF5. Jaso - C6. Young - LF of Carter - DH7. Donaldson - 3B8. Nakajima - SS9. Sizemore - 2BSome notes:-With Young/Reddick/Crisp all + defenders, I think Cespedes is the worst defender out of the bunch. And given his hammy issues, best to save his legs as much as possible and limit him to hitting, with some spot duty in the OF here and there. Against righties, this team is loaded. I think Smith might see some time at DH, but he's going to get pinched a bit this year.-Getting Sizemore back and presumably healthy is going to be a nice boon to infield depth. He can push Weeks at one position, and Donaldson at the other. Can he defend well enough to stick at either? Or is he just a utility guy? Parrino's minor league stats are idiotic, but maybe best to get him regular AB's in the minors until he's ready for a starting spot. Or convert him to 2B?Concerns (excluding pitchers):-Jaso/Norris defense-Offensive production from 2B/3B/SS-Hitting lefties overall w/o Gomes.

Users who are viewing this thread