What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Long-term dynasty buys. Whatcha got? (1 Viewer)

Good Posting Judge

Footballguy
Discuss guys who are in the minors now and their potential fantasy impact, either this year or next.

I really like Joc Pederson of the Doyers. Obviously LA's OF is crowded, but people said the same thing when Puig was in the minors, and they promoted him on merit.

I'm almost positive that Pederson could out-produce Crawford right now, who's been completely lost this year. His numbers are inflated a bit by a sky-high BABIP, but all of his peripherals are good: walk rate? 17.5%, check. Line drive rate? 23.5%! Power? ISO of .257, with 7 HR so far this year. And 7 SB on top of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gregory Polanco (OF, PIT) RF is his for the taking but he probably has to wait for super two. Power, speed, maybe AVG... he's got it all.

Andrew Heaney (SP, MIA) Fernandez-lite potential impact? Marlins are typically aggressive in their promotions.

Everyone knows about Jon Gray and Eddie Butler in the Rockies system but there's another pitcher who I think might actually beat them up this year, particularly if there's another injury or two in the next couple of months - Dan Winkler.

He's been flying below or at the fringe of prospect radar because he lacks top end stuff (89-91 MPH), but he's consistently missed bats (9.5 K/9) and has above average control with a deceptive right-handed delivery that is supposedly hard for hitters to pick up. Through the first month and a half in AA Tulsa he's outpitched both Butler and Gray and through 6 starts and 37 ip has a 1.22 ERA, .730 WHIP, 10.0 K/9, 2.4 BB/9.

Going back the end of last year his AA numbers are 11 starts, 63 ip, 1.98 ERA, .942 WHIP, 9.0 k/9, 2.8 BB/9

Gregory Polanco (OF, PIT) RF is his for the taking but he probably has to wait for super two. Power, speed, maybe AVG... he's got it all.

Andrew Heaney (SP, MIA) Fernandez-lite potential impact? Marlins are typically aggressive in their promotions.
Yeah, Polanco's promotion seems like it's imminent.

Taveras also seems like a guy who's going to come up around beginning of June 1 for arb. reasons. He's been playing in CF at Louisville, presumably to take over for the Bourjos/Jay poop-platter in center.

Yeah, Polanco's promotion seems like it's imminent.

Taveras also seems like a guy who's going to come up around beginning of June 1 for arb. reasons. He's been playing in CF at Louisville, presumably to take over for the Bourjos/Jay poop-platter in center.
I think Taveras is going to be up sooner. The Cards fans are starting to get a bit restless. Leitch predicted on Twitter that he's up a week from today.

(Separately, there's an ***official*** prospects thread a few threads down. I'm no good posting judge, but sometimes the judge must be judged.)

I'll just list the Tigers since that's what I know:

SP Robbie Ray (AAA): Will get his first ML start tomorrow at home vs Houston which should be a decent match-up for him. He'll end up pitching a game before Doug Fister does this year, but he won't be sticking around very long. He's got a 1.53 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 4/1 K/BB ratio and he's only allowed one homer in 30 innings. Short term he's the team's #6 starter, next year he'll have a shot at the rotation with the possible exodus of Max. Dombrowski says he's a #3 pitcher "at least," but a strong year in AAA while getting a handful of major league starts will help him. Definitely a deep keeper and dynasty play with results coming within two years. Definitely worth a look tomorrow if you need a fill.

OF Ezequiel Carrera (AAA): Known in fantasy circles for his energy bursts, he's a rosterable player in deep mixed leagues and AL only if and when he gets a call. With Andy Dirks still out another month, any injuries to Tiger OFers will result in Carrera getting a call. He's got a .380 OBP and 6 steals in Toledo.

C James McCann (AAA): He's going to be a terrific defensive catcher, skilled at handling pitchers, throwing out baserunners, and minimizing passed balls. He is starting to hit for average and while there is some power potential, it hasn't yet been harnessed. Not any kind of fantasy option but he could be a good backup SIM league catcher as soon as next year.

SS Eugenio Suarez (AA): Slick fielding SS has shown some power this year with a .530 slugging so far and he's always been a walk machine. Some consistency here will earn him a promotion to Toledo soon, and he could be in the mix for major league at bats later this summer. Starter upside with his glove and pop, could have dynasty interest at some point.

RP Cory Knebel (AA): Tigers first round pick a year ago, he's got 57ks and a .89 WHIP in 41 minor league innings. He's got a high 90s fastball, a plus curve and he has pretty much over-matched hitters at low A and AA. He's a college kid who closed three years at Texas and you might actually see this arm later this year in Detroit. Projects as a set-up man and closer but has some work to do with his control. Definitely a dynasty guy to keep on the radar.

Not quite on radar yet: SP Jake Thompson (A+), SP Johnathan Crawford (A+), and OF Steven Moya (AA). Those guys are not destined for Detroit until 2016 although Moya could move quicker because he's got intriguing power, but probably nothing to see here until later. 2B Devon Travis (AA) probably also worth mentioning as a possible future starter with the big club, but he's still figuring out AA at the moment. He has been an absolute monster through high A though.

Graduated: 3B Nick Castellanos, I'm sure you already know him but he's going to be very good.

I'm in two leagues where all the guys that could be called up this year and make an impact, are taken. I understand looking for lightning in a bottle for 2014 but I also like looking at prospects in the top 200 that might be a mid season call up next year, or a star in 2016. I don't need someone to remind me to pick up Gregory Polanco, he gone.

I'm in two leagues where all the guys that could be called up this year and make an impact, are taken. I understand looking for lightning in a bottle for 2014 but I also like looking at prospects in the top 200 that might be a mid season call up next year, or a star in 2016. I don't need someone to remind me to pick up Gregory Polanco, he gone.
Billy Burns (Oakland AA) hits for a ton of OBP and steals bases, but ranks slightly ahead of Ben Revere in terms of power. He's also a tremendous fielder, and a guy that I think Oakland targeted specifically from the Nats. I think his fantasy output is going to out-strip his prospect status by a good deal. In a couple years.

Billy Burns (Oakland AA) hits for a ton of OBP and steals bases, but ranks slightly ahead of Ben Revere in terms of power. He's also a tremendous fielder, and a guy that I think Oakland targeted specifically from the Nats. I think his fantasy output is going to out-strip his prospect status by a good deal. In a couple years.
He's currently slugging .276 in the Texas League.

Delino DeShields Jr. was doing a bit better at the same level before getting beaned in the face a few weeks ago. DeShields appears to have played himself out of his chance to be a middle infielder like his dad, which will really hurt his fantasy value.

I wouldn't start up the MLB stolen base tracker thread for either one just yet.

Delino DeShields Jr. was doing a bit better at the same level before getting beaned in the face a few weeks ago. DeShields appears to have played himself out of his chance to be a middle infielder like his dad, which will really hurt his fantasy value.

Low slug due to low average, he only as one hr in his career. But his k/bb is 1, and he has more walksthan k's in his career.

Low slug due to low average, he only as one hr in his career. But his k/bb is 1, and he has more walksthan k's in his career.

The speed is intriguing but he can't depend on MLB pitchers to put him on base. He has to be able to hit enough to keep them honest.

This is a huge year for him. He'll be 25 by Labor Day. I think he has to get through AA and AAA this season. Craig Gentry has a similar skill set with superior defense so there may not be room on the 25 man next year either.

Tommy La Stella has been rumored to take over 2B for the Braves imminently. Not much in the way of HR or steals, but probably solid everywhere else.

Another OBP machine is Robert Kral, catcher for the Pads who's currently at AA. He's been wildly overmatched through his first 35 games there (end of last year, beginning of this one)

Josh Hader (Astros lefty) has been putting up good-for-anywhere numbers in the very hitter-friendly Cali league.

Kris Bryant--CHC.

The second player taken in last year's draft. He can rake. He plays 3B, but if Mike Olt sticks, then Bryant will probably become a LF.

Tommy La Stella has been rumored to take over 2B for the Braves imminently. Not much in the way of HR or steals, but probably solid everywhere else.

Another OBP machine is Robert Kral, catcher for the Pads who's currently at AA. He's been wildly overmatched through his first 35 games there (end of last year, beginning of this one)

Josh Hader (Astros lefty) has been putting up good-for-anywhere numbers in the very hitter-friendly Cali league.
LaStella is rumored to be up by Thursday.

He's kind of a know commodity and doesn't do much for counting stats, but can at least get on base so that's an upgrade from Struggla.

Indians 1B/DH prospect Jesus Aguilar is an interesting one. He had a breakthrough in the Venezuelan winter league, hitting 327/403/597 with 18 HR in 58 games, and he's followed that up with a 337/430/606 line at AAA Columbus.

At 6'3, 265 the power should translate well to MLB if he can handle the pitching. Or he might be the next great AAAA slugger. We could find out soon as the Indians don't have a lot standing in his way.

A longer-term player to watch is Rockies 3B Ryan McMahon. 19-year-old with 9 HR already this year in A ball. Obviously he's a long ways off but power prospects in Colorado are always intriguing.

Mookie Betts.
He's been on a tear. Wonder if the Red Sox will trade him? Not really a place for him at 2B with Pedroia.
Yah, he is probably the most blocked prospect in baseball right now. Maybe they can move him to OF but I'm guessing he will be used as a prized trade chip.

The ideal scenario for most Boston fans would be to trade for Giancarlo Stanton. The Sox have the prospects and the money to do it, just depends on if/when the Marlins would deal him. It would take a king's ransom but the Sox can do that with the likes of Betts/Owens/Barnes/Cecchini/Middlebrooks/Swihart/Vazquez etc... No clue how much it would take but the Sox have the ammo to do it.

Josh Vitters is pretty "blocked" also.
but he's not much of a prospect anymore.

He could probably handle a COF position and has some MiLB experience there. The Cubs are currently giving those ABs to Lake, Ruggiano, Coghlan and Kalish which says a lot about Vitters' standing in the organization.

Speaking of Cubs "prospects", our old friend Brett Jackson was just activated from the DL. Iowans: please make sure your storm shutters are secure.

Kyle Parker is doing well in AAA at Colorado Springs. Also, Coors.
The Colorado OF/1B picture is pretty crowded right now. I think his best case scenario for the next few seasons is that the Rockies let Cuddyer walk at the end of this season, and he takes that RF/1B spot as more of a straight platoon player. Then in 2016 he could conceivably have a shot at 1B if Morneau also leaves.

RP Cory Knebel (AA): Tigers first round pick a year ago, he's got 57ks and a .89 WHIP in 41 minor league innings. He's got a high 90s fastball, a plus curve and he has pretty much over-matched hitters at low A and AA. He's a college kid who closed three years at Texas and you might actually see this arm later this year in Detroit. Projects as a set-up man and closer but has some work to do with his control. Definitely a dynasty guy to keep on the radar.
Promoted to AAA because no one can hit him at AA.

Ben Lively. It'd be a long term hold (High-A Bakersfield) but he's been almost unhittable in a hitter's league (54K/3BB, 0.63 ERA)

One guy I just picked up in my deep keeper is OF David Dahl.

Fangraphs write-up:

The Year in Review: Dahl had a nightmare 2013 season. The 10th overall draft pick in the 2012 amateur draft received an opening day assignment to Low-A ball but that was quickly overturned and he was demoted to extended spring training for disciplinary reasons. He then returned to that level in late April but appeared in just 10 games in ’13 thanks to a torn hamstring.

The Scouting Report: Dahl is a rare true five-tool talent. He makes excellent contact and has an advanced feel for hitting. He could eventually hit 20+ home runs but is still learning to tap into his left-handed pop on a consistent basis. He is an above-average runner, which helps him play an excellent center field and he also has a strong arm.

The Year Ahead: Dahl will no doubt return to Low-A ball and look to put his disastrous ’13 season behind him. He posted a 1.048 OPS during his debut season in 2012 so the raw talent is definitely there; he just needs to find a way to channel his energies in an effect manner on the baseball diamond.

The Career Outlook: The Alabama native will turn 20 in early April so time is still on his side. He has the talent to be an outstanding big league outfielder if he can continue to mature both on and off the field.
Baseball Prospectus and fangraphs have both done recent reviews on him saying he could be a top ten prospect by the end of the year. So far he has 8 homers, 9 steals and a 270/310/527 line at High A and he's likely going to be bumped to AA soon. Probably not on the horizon until 2016 at the earliest, but this could be a quick riser in the prospect rankings with the kind of power and speed he's showing this year, and the fact he'll get to play at Coors someday.

One guy I just picked up in my deep keeper is OF David Dahl.

Fangraphs write-up:

The Year in Review: Dahl had a nightmare 2013 season. The 10th overall draft pick in the 2012 amateur draft received an opening day assignment to Low-A ball but that was quickly overturned and he was demoted to extended spring training for disciplinary reasons. He then returned to that level in late April but appeared in just 10 games in ’13 thanks to a torn hamstring.

The Scouting Report: Dahl is a rare true five-tool talent. He makes excellent contact and has an advanced feel for hitting. He could eventually hit 20+ home runs but is still learning to tap into his left-handed pop on a consistent basis. He is an above-average runner, which helps him play an excellent center field and he also has a strong arm.

The Year Ahead: Dahl will no doubt return to Low-A ball and look to put his disastrous ’13 season behind him. He posted a 1.048 OPS during his debut season in 2012 so the raw talent is definitely there; he just needs to find a way to channel his energies in an effect manner on the baseball diamond.

The Career Outlook: The Alabama native will turn 20 in early April so time is still on his side. He has the talent to be an outstanding big league outfielder if he can continue to mature both on and off the field.
Baseball Prospectus and fangraphs have both done recent reviews on him saying he could be a top ten prospect by the end of the year. So far he has 8 homers, 9 steals and a 270/310/527 line at High A and he's likely going to be bumped to AA soon. Probably not on the horizon until 2016 at the earliest, but this could be a quick riser in the prospect rankings with the kind of power and speed he's showing this year, and the fact he'll get to play at Coors someday.
:goodposting:

Love those Colorado prospects. Ryan McMahon is another one to keep an eye on from their farm.

Mookie Betts (AA-BOS) seems kind of exciting: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-prospect-mookie-betts-continuing-torrid-stretch-at-double-a-portland?ymd=20140429&content_id=73771814&vkey=news_bos

Hitting .405 this year in AA and a middle IF with .200 ISO and over .900 OPS last year.

oh yeah, 38 Sb last year and 13 so far this year.
He is making his first ever minor league start in CF today.

He's blocked in the infield, but he's not blocked in the OF.

Promoted to AAA because no one can hit him at AA.
I like to hear stuff like this. Ray is already their #6 starter, but as a RP ii's even better news in terms of finding him a spot in the majors.

Mookie Betts (AA-BOS) seems kind of exciting: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-prospect-mookie-betts-continuing-torrid-stretch-at-double-a-portland?ymd=20140429&content_id=73771814&vkey=news_bos

Hitting .405 this year in AA and a middle IF with .200 ISO and over .900 OPS last year.

He is making his first ever minor league start in CF today.

He's blocked in the infield, but he's not blocked in the OF.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mookie-is-coming/

Mookie Betts is hitting .400. Mookie Betts has reached base in 70 consecutive games. Mookie Betts walks more often than he strikes out. Mookie Betts doesn’t have a position, but it doesn’t matter. Mookie Betts is coming.

He is making his first ever minor league start in CF today.He's blocked in the infield, but he's not blocked in the OF.
Any peabrain could see this coming

He is making his first ever minor league start in CF today.He's blocked in the infield, but he's not blocked in the OF.
You gonna ruin another thread pisspot?

HellToupee said:

Would be happy to see some of the prospects you'd like to share.

At the start of the season Betts was considered blocked in CF by Jackie Bradley. Obviously Bradley is not having a good year, but he's still young and still a factor in where Betts ends up playing.

HellToupee said:

Would be happy to see some of the prospects you'd like to share.
Please see mine liver lips

Betts called up to AAA.

Red Sox downplayed suggestions that he'll be in the majors soon or even this year but it's looking more possible.

Users who are viewing this thread