What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Foo Fighters are the greatest rock and roll band of all time (1 Viewer)

I just got into them (I've listened to a couple songs from One by One each day for the past week). Enjoyable, but not revolutionary. Top 250.

Ghost Rider said:
safariplanet said:
Enjoyable, but not revolutionary.
:blackdot: Their 2nd and last albums are both really good, in particular, but in general, they are a good, not great, band. I wouldn't put them near the top of the decade for either the 90s or the 00s.
I don't know. Not every band can be "revolutionary". Some bands just go out and rock. The Foo Fighters consistently produce really, really, really solid albums and perform the heck out of them live. I think "good" is a little bit of a slight. With all the one hit wonder, flash in the pan bands in our single mp3 downloading era, they have a ton of great material. I'd definitely rank them at the top of the 00's.

Only newer band I listen to consistently. Also. the double disc was the only "Album" I have actually bought in the last ten years.

With that in mind, they are no doubt my favorite band of the decade especially when you take into account their live shows.

I'd say easily Top Ten band of the 00's, and arguably a Top Ten band of the 90s.
I think if you switch the decades you're right. Their 00s music was just watered down 90s stuff IMO. That Wheels song or whatever it's called is just horrible. Grohl should stick with the drums.ETA: I'm digging Them Crooked Vultures though. Good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never really listened to them but I am ordering the following from the library.

In your honor

The colour and shape

Greatest Hits

I never really listened to them but I am ordering the following from the library.In your honorThe colour and shapeGreatest Hits
For greatest hits I am number 19 of 19 holds on 0 copies. :hot: Must be a new one they are waiting on.

I'd say easily Top Ten band of the 00's, and arguably a Top Ten band of the 90s.
I think if you switch the decades you're right. Their 00s music was just watered down 90s stuff IMO. That Wheels song or whatever it's called is just horrible. Grohl should stick with the drums.ETA: I'm digging Them Crooked Vultures though. Good stuff.
Don't get me wrong, I prefer their 90s music. But they only had half a decade's worth of music in the 90s, and they had a lot more competition in the 90s for a Top Ten list.

Top 5 easily. Personally theyre my favorite band (if you see them live, they will climb your list quickly).

For anyone interested, heres something I found last night on the Pirate Bay torrent site: 2 discs of their B-Sides. 36 songs...I downloaded and theyre all legit and great quality...listening to it now on my phone....

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3617988/Fo..._%28Complete%29

Disc 1:

01. Winnebago

02. Podunk

03. How I Miss You

04. Ozone

05. Gas Chamber (BBC Evening Session Recording)

06. The Colour And The Shape

07. Down In The Park

08. Drive Me Wild

09. Requiem

10. Baker Street

11. Dear Lover

12. Walking After You (New Version)

13. A320

14. Iron And Stone

15. Have A Cigar

16. Make A Bet

17. Fraternity

Disc 2:

01. The One

02. Walking A Line

03. Sister Europe

04. Danny Says

05. Life of Illusion

06. Win Or Lose

07. Planet Claire (Live NYC)

08. Normal

09. Never Talking To You Again (Live in Hamburg on December 1, 2002)

10. Darling Nikki

11. I'm In Love With A German Film Star

12. FFL

13. Kiss The Bottle

14. Spill

15. I Feel Free

16. Skin And Bones

17. World (Demo)

18. Born On The Bayou

19. The Sign

And just for kicks (from PirateBay):

Their entire Discography (7 studio CDs, minus the greatest hits)

And Greatest Hits

:goodposting: Their 2nd and last albums are both really good, in particular, but in general, they are a good, not great, band. I wouldn't put them near the top of the decade for either the 90s or the 00s.
I don't know. Not every band can be "revolutionary". Some bands just go out and rock. The Foo Fighters consistently produce really, really, really solid albums and perform the heck out of them live. I think "good" is a little bit of a slight. With all the one hit wonder, flash in the pan bands in our single mp3 downloading era, they have a ton of great material. I'd definitely rank them at the top of the 00's.
So true, but most of their material ranges from good to very good; in other words, rarely truly great, which is why I wouldn't call them among the best of anything. They do what they do well, yes, but that is about it.

:thumbup: Their 2nd and last albums are both really good, in particular, but in general, they are a good, not great, band. I wouldn't put them near the top of the decade for either the 90s or the 00s.
So true, but most of their material ranges from good to very good; in other words, rarely truly great, which is why I wouldn't call them among the best of anything. They do what they do well, yes, but that is about it.
Pretender is truly great in my opinion.

:goodposting:

open to close, Echoes Silence is one of the best "albums" recorded in the past 20 years imo.

(In Your Honor is also solid but the first half there are some ho hum songs).

:shrug:

Not sure where they rank but probably the one big positive out of Cobain's death.
Maybe I'm off base here but, Without Cobain and Nirvana, do the Foo Fighters make it to be anything if they just popped up on their own?I get the feeling like a lot of musicians could have been successful given the backing, and instant popularity the Foos got.

:confused: Their 2nd and last albums are both really good, in particular, but in general, they are a good, not great, band. I wouldn't put them near the top of the decade for either the 90s or the 00s.
Agreed. Everlong is truly great too.

Not sure where they rank but probably the one big positive out of Cobain's death.
Maybe I'm off base here but, Without Cobain and Nirvana, do the Foo Fighters make it to be anything if they just popped up on their own?I get the feeling like a lot of musicians could have been successful given the backing, and instant popularity the Foos got.
Does Lenon ever do anything w/out McCartney...or vice versa? Your statement IMO is more a testament to HOW GOOD Nirvana was going to be. Grohl is uber talented.

Obviously a big fan of Foo Fighters...but

Nobody is better from the 90's than Pearl Jam.

In my opinion, of course.

It's an interesting question. First of all, Dave Grohl is the Foo Fighters, so the question is whether Grohl would have broken out had he not played drums in Nirvana. I happen to think that Grohl is an exceptional talent, both as a songwriter and as a musician (he performed nearly every track on the Foo Fighters' first album), and he was plugged into the music industry. As such, I tend to believe he would have made it, even without Nirvana.

I think if you switch the decades you're right. Their 00s music was just watered down 90s stuff IMO. That Wheels song or whatever it's called is just horrible. Grohl should stick with the drums.
It's not too confusing. He's not an exceptional singer, guitarist, or songwriter IMO. His drumming is what he excels at. I think the Foo is terribly overrated. They are pretty much rock music for 30+ year olds who are stuck in grunge mode and mourning the falling out of traditional alt rock. They are just spinning their Wheels until no one wants to hear them anymore.Grohl on the drums though...that's all I wanna hear. He's incredible on the skins. SFTD by Queens might be the best rock album of the past decade, largely due to his outstanding drum work.

:goodposting: Their 2nd and last albums are both really good, in particular, but in general, they are a good, not great, band. I wouldn't put them near the top of the decade for either the 90s or the 00s.
Yes, they do have a handful of great songs, but that is why I said MOST of their material ranges from good to very good. Sematics perhaps, but that is how I see it. Good band, and damn good live!

I think if you switch the decades you're right. Their 00s music was just watered down 90s stuff IMO. That Wheels song or whatever it's called is just horrible. Grohl should stick with the drums.
It's not too confusing. He's not an exceptional singer, guitarist, or songwriter IMO. His drumming is what he excels at. I think the Foo is terribly overrated. They are pretty much rock music for 30+ year olds who are stuck in grunge mode and mourning the falling out of traditional alt rock. They are just spinning their Wheels until no one wants to hear them anymore.
What is confusing is that you agree that Foo Fighters is easily a Top Ten band of the 90s, yet say Grohl should stick to drums.

It's an interesting question. First of all, Dave Grohl is the Foo Fighters, so the question is whether Grohl would have broken out had he not played drums in Nirvana. I happen to think that Grohl is an exceptional talent, both as a songwriter and as a musician (he performed nearly every track on the Foo Fighters' first album), and he was plugged into the music industry. As such, I tend to believe he would have made it, even without Nirvana.
:goodposting:Grohl and Nirvana found each other. Grohl had ties to guys like The Melvins and some other bands.In an alternate universe, he would have found his way onto some band or started his own early.

:lmao:
It's not too confusing. He's not an exceptional singer, guitarist, or songwriter IMO. His drumming is what he excels at. I think the Foo is terribly overrated. They are pretty much rock music for 30+ year olds who are stuck in grunge mode and mourning the falling out of traditional alt rock. They are just spinning their Wheels until no one wants to hear them anymore.
What is confusing is that you agree that Foo Fighters is easily a Top Ten band of the 90s, yet say Grohl should stick to drums.
Well they certainly wouldn't make my list, but I think it would be ignorant to ignore the effect they've had on the general music listening public. The whole "top10 of the decade" idea is silly since bands that usually show up on those lists are well-known for the most part and are rarely the best bands. I was just using that mindset, I guess. I get lost in my thoughts, sorry.I did like their first couple albums when they came out, but since then they have not done anything noteworthy. They might be a top20 on my list for the 90s.

Well they certainly wouldn't make my list, but I think it would be ignorant to ignore the effect they've had on the general music listening public. The whole "top10 of the decade" idea is silly since bands that usually show up on those lists are well-known for the most part and are rarely the best bands. I was just using that mindset, I guess. I get lost in my thoughts, sorry.I did like their first couple albums when they came out, but since then they have not done anything noteworthy. They might be a top20 on my list for the 90s.
I understand now. Thanks for the clarification.

Top 5 easily. Personally theyre my favorite band (if you see them live, they will climb your list quickly).

For anyone interested, heres something I found last night on the Pirate Bay torrent site: 2 discs of their B-Sides. 36 songs...I downloaded and theyre all legit and great quality...listening to it now on my phone....

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3617988/Fo..._%28Complete%29

Disc 1:

01. Winnebago

02. Podunk

03. How I Miss You

04. Ozone

05. Gas Chamber (BBC Evening Session Recording)

06. The Colour And The Shape

07. Down In The Park

08. Drive Me Wild

09. Requiem

10. Baker Street

11. Dear Lover

12. Walking After You (New Version)

13. A320

14. Iron And Stone

15. Have A Cigar

16. Make A Bet

17. Fraternity

Disc 2:

01. The One

02. Walking A Line

03. Sister Europe

04. Danny Says

05. Life of Illusion

06. Win Or Lose

07. Planet Claire (Live NYC)

08. Normal

09. Never Talking To You Again (Live in Hamburg on December 1, 2002)

10. Darling Nikki

11. I'm In Love With A German Film Star

12. FFL

13. Kiss The Bottle

14. Spill

15. I Feel Free

16. Skin And Bones

17. World (Demo)

18. Born On The Bayou

19. The Sign

And just for kicks (from PirateBay):

Their entire Discography (7 studio CDs, minus the greatest hits)

And Greatest Hits
:banned:

I never really listened to them but I am ordering the following from the library.In your honorThe colour and shapeGreatest Hits
I have been listening to these two albums and I like them. One of these albums was a double and disc two from the library is fubar so I only have half of it. Still waiting on Greatest hits to arrive. It is fun to find a band I like that has so many years of material that I never really listened to. It is nice running music. :thumbup:

I like some of the Foo Fighters stuff.

They kind of remind me of Aerosmith. When they came out in the early 70s, they were pretty good. Had some solid songs, but in an era with Led Zeppelin, the Stones, and the Who, they were really just a band you might like because they were on the radio, but nothing earth shattering. In the 80s, Aerosmith comes back and all of a sudden people love them. Because they were earth shattering?? No, mostly because with hair metal and Brit pop dominating the air waves, they at least sounded like real rock and roll.

The Foo Fighters are the same. When they came out, they were kind of in an era with some good bands all pretty much in their prime, plus they had the ghost of Nirvana to compete with. Fast forward 10 years and they are still around and there are almost no really good popular rock bands anymore played on the radio, so people think of them as standing the test of time, and therefore, really good.

Other than Everlong, I don't know if there is a song they'll be remembered for in 50 years. They come across better in concert than they do on the records, IMO.

I like some of the Foo Fighters stuff.They kind of remind me of Aerosmith. When they came out in the early 70s, they were pretty good. Had some solid songs, but in an era with Led Zeppelin, the Stones, and the Who, they were really just a band you might like because they were on the radio, but nothing earth shattering. In the 80s, Aerosmith comes back and all of a sudden people love them. Because they were earth shattering?? No, mostly because with hair metal and Brit pop dominating the air waves, they at least sounded like real rock and roll.The Foo Fighters are the same. When they came out, they were kind of in an era with some good bands all pretty much in their prime, plus they had the ghost of Nirvana to compete with. Fast forward 10 years and they are still around and there are almost no really good popular rock bands anymore played on the radio, so people think of them as standing the test of time, and therefore, really good.Other than Everlong, I don't know if there is a song they'll be remembered for in 50 years. They come across better in concert than they do on the records, IMO.
Learn To FlyMy HeroThese two are easily recognizeable and still popular after over 10 years.

Over the past few years I've turned into a big Foo fan. Can't wait for the new CD.

eta - I like both White Limo and the teasers on the website... good stuff

I've come to realize that the FFA tends to turn their nose at any (modern-ish) band not named Radiohead, who garners too much mainstream attention.

Just look at the first three rounds of our 00's draft... Some serious snobbery going on in there.

People arguing that they would rather be stuck on a desert island wiith an album made by "Teenage Dirtbusters and The Mummy Dwarf"** than All that you Cant Leave Behind" by U2!!!

**Not an actual band name, but pick any group with a name that sounds like they are trying WAY too hard to be clever and ironic.

The Foos announced the name for their new CD: Wasting Light. The first single, Rope, will be released March 1st on iTunes.

the full track list:

'Bridge Burning'

'Rope'

'Dear Rosemary'

'White Limo'

'Arlandria'

'These Days'

'Back & Forth'

'A Matter of Time'

'Miss the Misery'

'I Should Have Known'

'Walk'

Over the past few years I've turned into a big Foo fan. Can't wait for the new CD.eta - I like both White Limo and the teasers on the website... good stuff
I was going to post this over at the other place. Heard it and figure "Worm will dig this one".

Users who are viewing this thread