What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Real" fans and the right to hold an opinion... (1 Viewer)

Agree or disagree with the statement ""Only people who have season tickets, have supported

• EXTREME agreement - This is absolute truth

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Agree strongly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Agree slightly

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • On the fence

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Disagree slightly

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Disagree strongly

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • EXTREME disagreement - This is laughable

Votes: 154 89.0%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I asked this in the Shark Pool as the original context was sports but I think this likely applies to other areas. So I'm asking it here too.

Here's the question: How do you feel about this statement?:

"Only people who have season tickets, have supported the team and were at every game should have an opinion on the University or team and this team's performance."
I heard a fan say this (who is a season ticket holder and a very nice and well meaning person) and thought it was pretty interesting. I think you could apply it just as well to things like politicians or other areas.

What do you think?

J

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not agree with that statement.

ETA: I know plenty of people that have been season ticket holders for years that are clueless about the team and the sport.

Last edited:
Joe,

Why exactly did you find this comment interesting?

MM
Hi MM,

I disagree with it. But I'd rather hear what you guys think about it. And I'll admit, part of this is me trying to gauge how far out of norm the statement is. This was actually said in another non FBG area and I see people agreeing with the statement. So I wanted to ask here.

J

This is just one step down the slippery slope. Pretty soon, only those who have purchased a subscription will be able to comment in the FFA. ;)

We're on to your game, JB.

This is just one step down the slippery slope. Pretty soon, only those who have purchased a subscription will be able to comment in the FFA. ;)

We're on to your game, JB.
:lmao:

Yes, that would be where the argument could go. But this isn't about that I promise. This really is someone I know who said this and I'm trying to figure out which one of us is off base.

J

Well the original sentence is quite flawed as it doesn't take into account fans of a team who don't live in the area of the team.

As far as it applying to other real world situations, I can see some validity in the argument that you shouldn't complain if you don't like the way the gov't is handling things if you don't even bother to vote.

Joe,

Why exactly did you find this comment interesting?

MM
Hi MM,

I disagree with it. But I'd rather hear what you guys think about it. And I'll admit, part of this is me trying to gauge how far out of norm the statement is. This was actually said in another non FBG area and I see people agreeing with the statement. So I wanted to ask here.

J
I would bet that most who would agree with that statement are snobby season ticket holders or boosters who foolishly think they should have a say-so in what teams do and whatnot.

Well the original sentence is quite flawed as it doesn't take into account fans of a team who don't live in the area of the team.

As far as it applying to other real world situations, I can see some validity in the argument that you shouldn't complain if you don't like the way the gov't is handling things if you don't even bother to vote.
Yes I don't think this person was talking about fans who no longer live in the area and obviously can't attend games. I think it was more of a "there are a lot of people in this city making noise but only us fans who have season tickets and are truly committed should be able to have an opinion".

J

Disagree completely. Many serious fans are unable to attend regularly for many reasons, such as economic, geographic, time/schedule constraints, family obligations, etc. And many season ticket holders aren't really fans, such as corporate or other business-related ticket holders.

Some teams have waiting lists for season tickets of a decade or more. Most teams would need a stadium capacity of over a million to accommodate all of their fans. Any way you slice it, it's a stupid statement on its face and doesn't warrant debate.

Disagree with it to the point of requiring season tickets but I think it has some valid elements to it.

This debate here raged locally about 18 to 24 months ago when there was a faction of people who were adamant that the local NFL team should be bring in some QB who played for a college team that's popular around here. #15. Tom Tupa or Tim somebody or something like that.

One side claiming to be Jaguars fans but they need to sign #15, other side saying then you're not real Jaguars fans then.

There are obviously two sides to this. Anyone has a "right" to an opinion of whatever kind. We are not into thought control yet.

But to an extent, those who are more invested, believe, with some justification, that their opinion has more validity. They have put their money where their opinions are.

One of the most ridiculous absurd phenomena in sports - fans arguing about who is more legit and proclaiming themselves in some fashion a better fan than another for some ridiculous irrelevant reason. As a Packer fan, I see it all the time as our fans tend to think we're somehow special, our stadium is some sort of heavenly temple and our team and fans are on a higher level than others. Even worse are American-based fans of Euro soccer teams, who constantly pretend that the bandwagon they hopped on is somehow more legit than the bandwagon some other guy hopped on.

You can't really compare it to politics even if you reach the same conclusion. Discussing politics has the potential of changing something important. Discussing sports is just a social pastime.

With politics, people have a right to be equally represented (a vote). Dismissing or excluding someone from a sports discussion because they don't know enough? Who cares?

To answer this poll... If the person is actually saying you cannot give any opinion unless you see every game - that's absurd. If they are saying only people who see every game have worthwhile opinions - I'm only in slight disagreement with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's dumb. People like to think their opinions matter more than others. By saying this, they can feel superior to others. I bet if a season ticket holder told this guy an opinion other than his, he'd still figure out a way to exclude that person's thoughts.

I think it's dumb. People like to think their opinions matter more than others. By saying this, they can feel superior to others. I bet if a season ticket holder told this guy an opinion other than his, he'd still figure out a way to exclude that person's thoughts.
Says the guy with barely even 20K posts. :rolleyes:

When I was Carolina Hurricanes STH it was frustrating. The place either had empty seats or we were invaded by the other teams fans, even during the year they won the Cup. Fans who loudly voiced their opinions(usually dumb ones, like why didn't we sign Peter Forsberg) but didn't put their money where there mouth was, were annoying to me. The time commitment alone to being a STH is significant. For this reason most STH are probably more educated on the team than most non STH. There is a big difference between going to games vs watching games on TV. You are just more immersed in everything.

Having said that, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Many people want season tickets for certain teams and they are not available, so they should not have an opinion? That is dumb.

You can't really compare it to politics even if you reach the same conclusion. Discussing politics has the potential of changing something important. Discussing sports is just a social pastime.

With politics, people have a right to be equally represented (a vote). Dismissing or excluding someone from a sports discussion because they don't know enough? Who cares?

To answer this poll... If the person is actually saying you cannot give any opinion unless you see every game - that's absurd. If they are saying only people who see every game have worthwhile opinions - I'm only in slight disagreement with that.
Hi 17,

I think the person means the only worthwhile opinions are those from season ticket holders. I don't think they were trying to silence anyone. Just say only "their" opinions matter.

And for politics, I see it sort of like can a person living in California have an opinion on the Texas governor. And really beyond the "the governor might run for president one day and then it does affect me". Just right now today.

But even that's not a fair comparison. I know tons of super hardcore fans that are extremely knowledgeable who are not season ticket holders.

J

Hi 17,

I think the person means the only worthwhile opinions are those from season ticket holders. I don't think they were trying to silence anyone. Just say only "their" opinions matter.

And for politics, I see it sort of like can a person living in California have an opinion on the Texas governor. And really beyond the "the governor might run for president one day and then it does affect me". Just right now today.

But even that's not a fair comparison. I know tons of super hardcore fans that are extremely knowledgeable who are not season ticket holders.

J
Not to mention that it's only an opinion. It's not like the opinions are being used to make decisions. Maybe in rare cases it does. But I'm guessing most front office decisions are made without the team execs weighing what the fans want.

I think many front office decisions do consider the impact from fans - but it is extremely short-sighted to think that a fan's impact is limited to season-ticket holders. For professional teams, and most major colleges, the economic impact from people who do not attend games is far greater than the ticket revenue generated by game-going fans.

Not to mention that game-going-fan does not have a monopoly on sound decisions when it comes to his/her favorite team - on the contrary, its more likely that game-going fan has a biased perspective that would create bad decisions.

The funny part is some of the season ticket holders I run into at Caps games(the sport I attend the most)are not very knowledgeable about the sport or what is going on with the team except that Ovechkin scores a lot and they love it.

Some Redskins season ticket holders are the same way.Almost to the point of loving the team too much to even have the ability to be critical about them in any way.

Just because you have season tickets means you get to see the games in person more and that's about it.

For what it's worth, I asked the person if they really meant it. I asked, "Do you really believe, 'Only people who have season tickets, have supported the team and were at every game should have an opinion on the University or team and this team's performance.'. If so, can you help me unpack that some about who is allowed to have an opinion? Thanks."

The answer was:

"of course I do, we are they only ones who invested monies into the program"
:unsure:

J

For what it's worth, I asked the person if they really meant it. I asked, "Do you really believe, 'Only people who have season tickets, have supported the team and were at every game should have an opinion on the University or team and this team's performance.'. If so, can you help me unpack that some about who is allowed to have an opinion? Thanks."

The answer was:

J
So has anyone that bought team paraphernalia, paid taxes that went towards the stadium, etc.

The answer was:

J
You could extend his logic into some other areas and get him in a corner quite easily.

Going back to politics, I wonder if he feels Sheldon Adelson's opinion is more important than the X million Americans whose net worth add up to his.

The answer was:

J
So has anyone that bought team paraphernalia, paid taxes that went towards the stadium, etc.
This.

The answer was:

J
This.
Yes, The first person said only season ticket holders could have an opinion. This was from a person who agreed with the season ticket holder's opinion. When I asked if he really meant it, he said the thing about contributing "monies". Which I guess is quite a bit different from season ticket holders as tons more people have contributed money in the form of going to a few games or buying gear and such.

J

Only people who have season tickets, have supported the team and were at every game should have an opinion on the University or team and this team's performance.
That's quite a stupid opinion. But it's one someone is perfectly entitled to have. For free, even.

It doesn't matter if you live in Iraq, never been to a game, and never spent one dollar on the team in any capacity. If you are a fan and know your stuff, your opinion is worth just as much as anyone else who is on your knowledge level.

Even if you aren't a fan, but know your stuff, same thing.

Your friend it a total shortsighted moron to the point where I could probably not be friends with someone lacking the basic brain capacity it takes to realize that is an idiotic opinion.

NCCommish said:
IvanKaramazov said:
TheIronSheik said:
Says the guy with barely even 20K posts. :rolleyes:
Says the guy who hasn't even hit 50k yet
:bow:

Users who are viewing this thread