What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Closers 2012 (1 Viewer)

Annyong

Footballguy
Let's make this the thread where we speculate on closers and life and love. or just the closer position. either or.

I think Tampa can win a lot of games. What can we expect for Farns?

I had a choice of him, Marshall and Francisco as waiver wire closers and I took Marshall, but I'm on the fence about it

I think Tampa can win a lot of games. What can we expect for Farns?I had a choice of him, Marshall and Francisco as waiver wire closers and I took Marshall, but I'm on the fence about it
marshall is the better pitcher. not sure how he will do in the closer's roll though. The Reds will win a lot of games in the NL central so i think its a good gamble on your part.

Motte will finish as #1 closer. That is a weak division and now that the manager is gone he will nail down the job.

Who would you rather have from these closers, or closers in waiting?

Broxton, Crow, or Holland?

Thortnton, Addison, or Crain?

Johnson, Gregg, or Lindstrom?

Guerra or Jansen?

Who would you rather have from these closers, or closers in waiting?Broxton, Crow, or Holland?Thortnton, Addison, or Crain?Johnson, Gregg, or Lindstrom?Guerra or Jansen?
HollandReedLindstromJansen
To add to this question. I currently have Broxton, Johnson, Thornton, and Jansen. Farnsworth is my only other RP, so I need saves, for sure.Is there any news on those closer situations, or is it still speculation? Everyone besides Guerra is available in my league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guerra or Jansen?
HollandReed

Lindstrom

Jansen
To add to this question. I currently have Broxton, Johnson, Thornton, and Jansen. Farnsworth is my only other RP, so I need saves, for sure.Is there any news on those closer situations, or is it still speculation? Everyone besides Guerra is available in my league.
Speculation. I'm in the same boat as I have no RPs and a higher waiver priority got Marshall.

Guerra or Jansen?
HollandReed

Lindstrom

Jansen
Speculation. I'm in the same boat as I have no RPs and a higher waiver priority got Marshall.
The word I am hearing is Holland is the better long term option but Broxton will get the chance to lose the job. The kid they have in AAA (Kelvin Herrera) is very good but at least one season if not two away from the show.

Thornton will get first crack at it but he is better at setup than closing so Reed will get it by May. Whether he hold sit is another story.

I really like Lindstrom as a sneaky closer - Johnson hurt too much and I think Gregg might have broken into the league with Honus Wagner.

Finally, Jansen is significantly better than Guerra and I can't believe he hasn't already secured the job. Jansen is a very good pitcher.

Who would you rather have from these closers, or closers in waiting?Broxton, Crow, or Holland?Thortnton, Addison, or Crain?Johnson, Gregg, or Lindstrom?Guerra or Jansen?
Draft skills, not roles - Holland, Reed, and Jansen.But then again this is also why I'm ensuring I have 3 of the first 20 closers off the board this year. It's fuglier than usual at the end.

Guerra or Jansen?
HollandReed

Lindstrom

Jansen
The word I am hearing is Holland is the better long term option but Broxton will get the chance to lose the job. The kid they have in AAA (Kelvin Herrera) is very good but at least one season if not two away from the show.

Thornton will get first crack at it but he is better at setup than closing so Reed will get it by May. Whether he hold sit is another story.

I really like Lindstrom as a sneaky closer - Johnson hurt too much and I think Gregg might have broken into the league with Honus Wagner.

Finally, Jansen is significantly better than Guerra and I can't believe he hasn't already secured the job. Jansen is a very good pitcher.
Why don't you homos get in that saves thread for Christ's sake and maybe you'll learn something. (or post your projections)TIA

added Crain to pair with Thornton for a shot at owning the WSox closer for the time being.

i just dont see them handing the role to Reed so early on...

Just in case people forgot what an automatic gold mine the Reds closer spot is, here is a fun link

Cliff notes.... Only five teams in baseball history with more than 15 saves had one reliever record all of them; Dusty Baker managed three.

Cliff notes.... Only five teams in baseball history with more than 15 saves had one reliever record all of them; Dusty Baker managed three.
:confused:
Terribly worded. I think it means that nobody else on the team, besides the closer, recorded any saves.
Sorry, it was c/p from the article. Yes, that's what it means. He is the only guy who always saves his closer for save opps, doesn't rest his closer after multiple days in a row, and obviously never lets other guys finish out longer saves. He is the best possible manager for feeding saves to one guy.

'cheese said:
'the moops said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
'cheese said:
:confused:
Terribly worded. I think it means that nobody else on the team, besides the closer, recorded any saves.
Sorry, it was c/p from the article. Yes, that's what it means. He is the only guy who always saves his closer for save opps, doesn't rest his closer after multiple days in a row, and obviously never lets other guys finish out longer saves. He is the best possible manager for feeding saves to one guy.
Ah, I see.

With Storen's uncertainty, who will get the save opportunities? Lidge or Rodriguez? Will Clippard remain setup guy, or will he get the closer role?

With Storen's uncertainty, who will get the save opportunities? Lidge or Rodriguez? Will Clippard remain setup guy, or will he get the closer role?
Clippard not gonna close, we don't know much more than that at the moment. Everyone is guessing Lidge for now.

Clippard not gonna close, we don't know much more than that at the moment. Everyone is guessing Lidge for now.
Default setting to the veteran, but if Rodrgiuez keeps pitching the way he has been a couple of lemons from Lidge and he'll slide in. If you have room for both, do it, because in the meantime Rodriguez could provide some crazy K numbers. Just hope he doesn't murder your WHIP

Guerra or Jansen?
HollandReed

Lindstrom

Jansen

Why don't you homos get in that saves thread for Christ's sake and maybe you'll learn something. (or post your projections)TIA
Wow - so far Herrerra has remained with the big club. I thought he'd be sent down for one more year of seasoning. He is the closer in waiting.

Default setting to the veteran, but if Rodrgiuez keeps pitching the way he has been a couple of lemons from Lidge and he'll slide in. If you have room for both, do it, because in the meantime Rodriguez could provide some crazy K numbers. Just hope he doesn't murder your WHIP
I saw that inning against the Mets. Rodriguez looked pretty awesome.

Andrew Bailey may start the season on the DL according to rotoworld.

From Buster Olney - Red Sox will know more about Bailey's thumb injury in a couple of days; could backdate DL so he can be activated early in season.

Seems like Mark Melancon is the guy to grab.

I'm dropping Gregorson for another late inning guy, Crain or Herrera, who would you gamble on to get holds/saves? Aceves is also available

I'm dropping Gregorson for another late inning guy, Crain or Herrera, who would you gamble on to get holds/saves? Aceves is also available
Right now? Crain. Capps is awful. Herrera is a better bet to be closing games later this year or 2013 though because Crain isn't anything special himself. Herrera might be. But he has two guys and a broken Soria between him and the job.

Ed Yost:

I’m happy with this group,” Yost said. “We’ve got a real good long guy in Teaford, multiple-inning guys in Crow, Collins and Herrera who can get lefties and righties out.

“We’ve got a good (lefty) set-up guy in Mijares and power at the back of the bullpen with Holland and Broxton.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/29/3523348/royals-finalize-roster-with-teaford.html#storylink=cpy
With the rotation he has, Yost will need every one of those bullpen arms

Seems like D. Johnson understands that using your best RP situationaly and getting outs in the 7-8 innings are just as important as getting three outs with no one on in the 9th. He's so old he's retro now.

White Sox Update:

Bruce Levine ‏- "Unknown closer for today's opener. Manager says the players know their roles on a daily basis."
Don't know why Ventura is not naming Thornton his closer. HE has the best skills. Small sample size, but besides Thronton, Addison Reed has the best skills of the rest.

White Sox Update:

Bruce Levine ‏- "Unknown closer for today's opener. Manager says the players know their roles on a daily basis."
Don't know why Ventura is not naming Thornton his closer. HE has the best skills. Small sample size, but besides Thronton, Addison Reed has the best skills of the rest.
I like the idea of a new manager trying something different. The paradigm that a save opportunity is automatically the highest leverage situation has been in place for over two decades. That doesn't necessarily make it the best strategy. The White Sox have a number of left handed and right handed options. It's early in the season and getting consistent work in is arguably better than waiting around for someone's pre-defined role to present itself. Managers and pitching coaches have tons more situational data to work with than they did in the days of Bruce Sutter and Jeff Reardon. Use it instead of just pushing the red button every time.

White Sox Update:

I like the idea of a new manager trying something different. The paradigm that a save opportunity is automatically the highest leverage situation has been in place for over two decades. That doesn't necessarily make it the best strategy. The White Sox have a number of left handed and right handed options. It's early in the season and getting consistent work in is arguably better than waiting around for someone's pre-defined role to present itself. Managers and pitching coaches have tons more situational data to work with than they did in the days of Bruce Sutter and Jeff Reardon. Use it instead of just pushing the red button every time.
Using your best guy for the 9th is becoming less popular. Tyler Clippard and Mike Adams are kind of good examples of this, among others.

Reed and Thornton pitched the 7th and 8th yesterday, down 1 run. Hector Santiago was warming up for the 9th. Take that for what you will (I'm taking it to the waiver wire, as soon as I figure out who to cut).

What's the story in TB? Is Rodney the frontrunner there now?

What's the story in TB? Is Rodney the frontrunner there now?
Peralta the favorite of Madden, Rodney and Howell both have closing experience and McGee is supposed to be the future closer. I think this could be a mess all year but the two safest pickups are Rodney and Peralta.

Users who are viewing this thread