What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012 San Diego Chargers **** (2 Viewers)

Chargers | Are A.J. Smith, Norv Turner safe? Mon Jan 2, 08:45 AM The fates of San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith and head coach Norv Turner may not be decided immediately. Team president Dean Spanos is said to have struggled with what to do about Smith. He has long been a believer in Turner and credits Smith with the bulk of the decisions that have shaped the franchise into a perennial contender. Spanos could decide to keep Smith, yet suggest some changes in how he operates and how the personnel department goes forward. For all his faith in Turner, Spanos might also suggest some changes in how the coach goes about managing a game.Our view: We think Turner is certainly gone, and Smith may also be out the door with him. The Chargers would like to make a run at a coach like Jon Gruden.
I do not like taking time, sounds like the Spanos family is waffling. Norv better be gone. I can see them keeping AJ, but to me his shine is starting to wear off big time. What are they going to do with that Defense???

The worst thing they could do is take a considerable amount of time to make a decision. What have they been doing the past couple of months? The decision should be made, and the press conference should be tomorrow to announce it.

Norv should be out and they should be putting the full court press on Gruden. I personally think Smith's performance also warrants getting fired, but I don't know as much about how easy it would be to find a quality replacement.

Hey JWB, Rivers mgiht have saved Norv's job

Norv Turner might live to coach another day in San Diego, after all. Lombardi spoke with a Chargers team source who said many people within the organization are behind Turner and would like him to return despite a second consecutive dark January. Team president Dean Spanos has said he’ll closely examine the season as a whole before making any decisions. “I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that Norv Turner is going to get fired,” Lombardi said. “Philip Rivers, the quarterback, wants him back, and I think it’s certainly … when Philip Rivers wants you back, it really works out.” La Canfora believes Rivers has the clout within the organization to save his coach. “Philip Rivers is the franchise, they paid him like a franchise quarterback, he’s played like a franchise quarterback, he attributes a lot of that to Norv Turner’s influence on him,” La Canfora said. “When you really play this forward and how they finish and the role, and the power and command of that franchise quarterback, that can sway ownership.”

Chargers | Philip Rivers wants coach to return Mon Jan 2, 01:21 PM

San Diego Chargers QB Philip Rivers is lobbying for head coach Norv Turner to return to the team next season.

They didn't replace Marty until February, so dragging their feet in avoiding making a decision isn't new to this franchise.

They need a change somewhere though. I don't follow them enough to have an opinion on Smith, although his handling on Vincent Jackson and Darren Sproles has been terrible. I do follow them enough to say they lose at least 2 games a year because of their coach and he's got to be the one responsible for thisteam always struggling before Thanksgiving.

Wouldn't be too horrified if Norv and AJ come back. The more I think about it, the more I think their losses were O line, injury related. What I really want is new defensive coordinator!

They both need to go. The organization needs a complete change of culture starting from the top. Please send Norv and AJ packing.

Oh boy.

I'm thinking Spanos isn't the best guy to have owning an NFL team. Seemingly very wishy-washy/indecisive. I hope he can make up his mind this time before all the prime candidates are already hired - unlike 2007.

For sure a new DC at least. I have no clue who that will be.

Over the last 3 years, the Chargers are 1 game over .500. Eventually you can't make enough excuses to justify considering this team as anything but mediocre. How can you keep your existing top level in place given that reality?

True....but they are one fumbled snap (vs KC) or one Chicago not running out of bounds (Chic v Denver) play from being the #4 seed in playoffs. I think they might have made some noise in playoffs as they could likely beat Cinci, Houston, Baltimore.....but not Pit, NE

I don't know a single fan that wants Norv back and they are all pretty adamant about it. If Spanos brings him back I think he's taking a big risk with the fans. It's not like Norv hasn't been given a fair shake and this is a standard fan knee-jerk reaction. He's had his shot and he's blown it. It's time to move on. If Rivers wanted Norv to stay perhaps he should have played better and saved his job that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they get a new d coordinator and AJ can some how come up with a few pass rushers this offseason they will be fine, easier said then done based on his last few offseasons. The offense is fine but health will always be a question

:loco:

Like I've said before, the real problem with the Chargers is ownership. Seems like they're letting the inmates run the asylum.

If they get a new d coordinator and AJ can some how come up with a few pass rushers this offseason they will be fine, easier said then done based on his last few offseasons. The offense is fine but health will always be a question
Agreed. I think if they can get some Def playmakers (other than Weddle), move Jammer to safety, and get a better def coordinator.....they will win AFC West next year....

Agreed. I think if they can get some Def playmakers (other than Weddle), move Jammer to safety, and get a better def coordinator.....they will win AFC West next year....
They weren't exactly lights out against the run either. The defensive front 7 is not good. Unless they come up with a stud NT they need to abandon the 3-4.

Over the last 3 years, the Chargers are 1 game over .500. Eventually you can't make enough excuses to justify considering this team as anything but mediocre. How can you keep your existing top level in place given that reality?
8-89-7

13-3

30-18....

CMON MAN!!!!Wow. What is it going to take?
I think one more year with Norv and AJ is warranted. Getting a new coach and GM means 2- 4 year rebuild. New system, new FA, etc. I think this team is close...and window is closing. I have more optimism with some continuity than getting a whole new makeover. If they are not competitive next year...then sell the farm.

8-89-7

13-3

30-18....
Sorry. Last 2 years.
wasn't a dig, but had me wondering....
2008 was also 8-8... and due to the Jets loss in 2009 overshadowing the 13 wins that season, I can see where the confusion set in.

season ticket holders should revolt by not renewing....give them what they want and move them to the armpit that is, los angeles...

Sounds like Dean was turned down by the coaches and/or GM's he was interested in. I expect the Chargers will force Norv to add one or two coaches to his staff that they would be comfortable with as an interim coach, and Norv's leash will be really, really short next year.

CMON MAN!!!!Wow. What is it going to take?
I think one more year with Norv and AJ is warranted. Getting a new coach and GM means 2- 4 year rebuild. New system, new FA, etc. I think this team is close...and window is closing. I have more optimism with some continuity than getting a whole new makeover. If they are not competitive next year...then sell the farm.
are you kidding?That Defense is terrible, LBs? stink. DL? a joke. Secondary? did you see Jammer and Cason this year? We gave weddle the farm. Ughnot to mention the OL has to be rebuilt oh and add in that Vjas/Mathews and Gates cant stay healthyThis division sucks, down right sucks and the chargers are middling at 8-8. Fire em all and start over guess we have to wait till 2013 though.

Interview with Kevin Acee today.

A month ago he expected AJ and Norv to be fired, but as of Sunday he'd changed his mind and is not surprised that they'll be around for another year. The fact that players like Rivers, Gates, Weddle, and Dielman lobbied to keep Norv probably made a difference. Spanos isn't super impressed with the potential replacements who are available this year, so if Spanos ultimately wants to fire AJ and Norv, he'd prefer to wait a season before trying to find their replacements. Acee can't fathom a situation in which defensive coordinator Greg Manusky is retained. He was outcoached in several games this season.

A month ago he expected AJ and Norv to be fired, but as of Sunday he'd changed his mind and is not surprised that they'll be around for another year. The fact that players like Rivers, Gates, Weddle, and Dielman lobbied to keep Norv probably made a difference. Spanos isn't super impressed with the potential replacements who are available this year, so if Spanos ultimately wants to fire AJ and Norv, he'd prefer to wait a season before trying to find their replacements. Acee can't fathom a situation in which defensive coordinator Greg Manusky is retained. He was outcoached in several games this season.
What good coaches will be available next offseason that aren't available now? Sounds like he's waiting for someone in particular.

Last edited by a moderator:

What good coaches will be available next offseason that aren't available now? Sounds like he's waiting for someone in particular.
Or it's BS. Or he's waiting until he moves the team to LA.

Huh? Guys like Fisher and Gruden aren't impressive? Is Belichick going to be available next year? Jim Harbaugh? :loco:

CMON MAN!!!!

Wow. What is it going to take?
Close to what?

'jonessed said:
'DanFouts said:
'Black said:
CMON MAN!!!!

Wow. What is it going to take?
Close to what?
Moving to L.A. and starting over. I can't see that vote for a new stadium passing at this point - can you? You think that's an accident?Also Spanos saves about $12M in dead front office money by not firing these guys this year.

Close to what?
C'mon jonessed. Turnarounds in the NFL can happen extremely quickly, especially when you have an elite QB already on board. While the talent level the past couple of seasons has been overrated IMO (another reason why the criticisms of Norv are overblown), a couple impact rookies, an impact FA on defense, and better luck (health, handling snaps) and this team could easily go 11-5/12-4 next year. I wouldn't have been angry if AJ and Norv had been let go, but I didn't see any of the rumored replacements being a significant upgrade. Gruden has been out of the game for a few years now, and while I like Fisher, it's not like he won every year in Hou/Tenn. He rode McNair hard and had success, but he didn't make the playoffs 11/17 yrs. Yet Norv barely misses the playoffs due in large part to horrible luck and you guys are ready to behead him.

Close to what?
C'mon jonessed. Turnarounds in the NFL can happen extremely quickly, especially when you have an elite QB already on board. While the talent level the past couple of seasons has been overrated IMO (another reason why the criticisms of Norv are overblown), a couple impact rookies, an impact FA on defense, and better luck (health, handling snaps) and this team could easily go 11-5/12-4 next year. I wouldn't have been angry if AJ and Norv had been let go, but I didn't see any of the rumored replacements being a significant upgrade. Gruden has been out of the game for a few years now, and while I like Fisher, it's not like he won every year in Hou/Tenn. He rode McNair hard and had success, but he didn't make the playoffs 11/17 yrs. Yet Norv barely misses the playoffs due in large part to horrible luck and you guys are ready to behead him.
Serious question: when was the last time the Chargers added either multiple impact rookies or an impact FA on defense, much less both in one offseason?I agree that the talent on the roster is overrated, but I am apparently a lot more pessimistic than you are about how effectively that will be addressed this offseason.

Close to what?
Serious question: when was the last time the Chargers added either multiple impact rookies or an impact FA on defense, much less both in one offseason?I agree that the talent on the roster is overrated, but I am apparently a lot more pessimistic than you are about how effectively that will be addressed this offseason.
Obviously recent drafts and FA moves haven't produced much, or else we wouldn't be having this discussion. My guess is that the Bolts will be more aggressive in FA due to the urgency of the situation. As far as drafting - who knows, but one of these years a 1st rounder has to be a hit, right? Even Matt Millen gets it right every once and awhile.

Close to what?
Obviously recent drafts and FA moves haven't produced much, or else we wouldn't be having this discussion. My guess is that the Bolts will be more aggressive in FA due to the urgency of the situation. As far as drafting - who knows, but one of these years a 1st rounder has to be a hit, right? Even Matt Millen gets it right every once and awhile.
Ah, so we're down to counting on the "even a blind squirrel finds a nut eventually" factor. Do you realize just how bad things have gotten that you have essentially said you hope A.J. can perform as well as Matt Millen?

Users who are viewing this thread