What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I Thought It Was Jackie Robinson [i]Day[/i] (1 Viewer)

Limp Ditka

Footballguy
I'm watching the Phillies / Astros game and everyone is wearing #42.

This is getting silly. Should we expect 60 days of this since it's the 60th anniversary?

I'm watching the Phillies / Astros game and everyone is wearing #42.This is getting silly. Should we expect 60 days of this since it's the 60th anniversary?
About a half dozen midatlantic and northeast games were rained out on the original date so those teams will be making up that event.

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.

have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back.

:scared: :cry:

nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back.
Sucks that the guy who opened doors for countless minorities, and who endured filthy, incomprehensible insults and daily death threats, had to be so inconvenient as to ruin your experience of watching major league baseball on your HDTV. :kicksrock:

nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back.
Sucks that the guy who opened doors for countless minorities, and who endured filthy, incomprehensible insults and daily death threats, had to be so inconvenient as to ruin your experience of watching major league baseball on your HDTV. :kicksrock:
he wasn't the only one.

he wasn't the only one.
Does this mean we're going to have Milton Bradley day in 50 years?

he wasn't the only one.
Would we all have to do something stupid as a tribute?

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :goodposting: :excited:
lmao at hating jackie robinson day

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :thumbup: :wall:
the announcer backed me up in the 9th inning of the game. cubs sent a pinch hitter to the on-deck circle and announcer says, 'well, they're all wearing 42, so can't really tell who it is.'oh, and let me change my original statement: i don't hate the day, i just hate the fact that they all wear 42. why not all wear brooklyn dodgers uniforms?

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :thumbup: :wall:
the announcer backed me up in the 9th inning of the game. cubs sent a pinch hitter to the on-deck circle and announcer says, 'well, they're all wearing 42, so can't really tell who it is.'oh, and let me change my original statement: i don't hate the day, i just hate the fact that they all wear 42. why not all wear brooklyn dodgers uniforms?
its a slight inconvenience one game out of 162 for a great person that transcended generations. dont see the hate here. dont get spreading it out over different days but.

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :wall: :wall:
No kidding. Hard to get more petty than this. 42

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :wall: :wall:
All you have to do is open up a gametracker, if it's really bothering you not knowing who's out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
bweiser said:
shadyridr said:
bweiser said:
i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :rant: :loco:
No way they were serious. I am pretty sure most baseball announcers know almost every player in the league and could tell them apart without numbers. Just a bad joke.

bweiser said:
shadyridr said:
bweiser said:
i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :lmao: :lmao:
No way they were serious. I am pretty sure most baseball announcers know almost every player in the league and could tell them apart without numbers. Just a bad joke.
nope, he said, 'i think that's (i forget who) in the ondeck circle.' a few seconds later, it was, 'oh, sorry, its kosuke ####udome.'

I don't get anyone's problem with this. You should know your own team and if you watch more baseball than that you shouldn't have much problem identifying most players. The teams that missed the chance to wear 42 did so when they got the chance. My only issue is that a player like Larry Doby isn't treated the same way despite breaking the barrier in the same year in the other league. At least the American League games should honor Doby with his number on the same day or every team should honor the first AA in their franchise history if their team reaches back that far.

IMO, I don't think the segregation should ever be forgotten and honoring Robinson keeps those memories alive. Especially since the Dodgers did so before most of the nation was ready to have it happen.

bweiser said:
shadyridr said:
bweiser said:
i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :shrug: :banned:
nope, he said, 'i think that's (i forget who) in the ondeck circle.' a few seconds later, it was, 'oh, sorry, its kosuke ####udome.'
Major problems with that announcer if he couldn't identify Kosuke.

bweiser said:
shadyridr said:
bweiser said:
i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap.have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :fishing: :thumbup:
So youre telling me we're supposed to believe he couldnt tell the one Japanese guy apart from the rest of the Cubs because he was #42?

Jackie's probably rolling over in his grave watching a piece of garbage like A Rod wearing his number in his honor.

he wasn't the only one.
Mandatory earplugs instead of a 42 for the home team?

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :fishing: :thumbup:
the announcer backed me up in the 9th inning of the game. cubs sent a pinch hitter to the on-deck circle and announcer says, 'well, they're all wearing 42, so can't really tell who it is.' oh, and let me change my original statement: i don't hate the day, i just hate the fact that they all wear 42. why not all wear brooklyn dodgers uniforms?
So youre telling me we're supposed to believe he couldnt tell the one Japanese guy apart from the rest of the Cubs because he was #42?
Reading this thread, I was sort of struck by that also. Wait, what? :lol:

The Cubs and Braves will wear No. 42 jerseys to celebrate the anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the game’s color barrier in 1947. The teams planned to wear the uniforms on April 15 — the anniversary of the day Robinson broke the color barrier — but the game was postponed due to inclement weather.
:mellow:  

Users who are viewing this thread