What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2014 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Redskins expected to fire Mike Shanahan

Mike Shanahan is expected to be fired as coach of the Washington Redskins, multiple people familiar with the situation said.

One person with knowledge of the matter said Sunday that Shanahan “definitely” will be dismissed and the only question is whether the move will come Sunday night or Monday.

Another person with ties to the organization said Saturday night the move was certain and is expected to come Monday.

In the Fox pregame show, Jay Glazer went through coaches on the hot seat and said whether they were in, out, or maybes. Mike Shanahan was a definite out.

Later, Glazer had a list of 12 possible head coaches. He said all 12 were on teams' lists. There is only one current vacancy. The conclusion is that for the coaches that are out, Glazer knows who is on their interview list.

The coaches that are out are: Shanahan, Swartz, and Frazier.

The list of coaches that will be interviewed: Adam Case, Jay Gruden, Greg Roman, Darrell Bevel, Mike Zimmer, Ray Horton, San Quinn, Mike Pettine, Jack Del Rio, Ken Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith, Bill O'Brien.

In the Fox pregame show, Jay Glazer went through coaches on the hot seat and said whether they were in, out, or maybes. Mike Shanahan was a definite out.

Later, Glazer had a list of 12 possible head coaches. He said all 12 were on teams' lists. There is only one current vacancy. The conclusion is that for the coaches that are out, Glazer knows who is on their interview list.

The list of coaches that will be interviewed: Adam Case, Jay Gruden, Greg Roman, Darrell Bevel, Mike Zimmer, Ray Horton, San Quinn, Mike Pettine, Jack Del Rio, Ken Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith, Bill O'Brien.
One more thought: if my conclusion is correct, the Redskins are moving forward with hiring a coach with Allen running the show. Not clear how or if Snyder will be involved.

So the leading candidate is Cowher from the sounds of it. Or extremely wishful thinking from the media in DC. Given how the legacy of the Red Lobster is now down the toilet I don't have a good feeling for Bill Cowher.

So the leading candidate is Cowher from the sounds of it. Or extremely wishful thinking from the media in DC. Given how the legacy of the Red Lobster is now down the toilet I don't have a good feeling for Bill Cowher.
I don't think anyone knows the leading candidates. There's so much misdirection and guesswork, much of it funneled through NFL reporters anonymously, that's it's just as hard to find reliable information right now as it is during the last week before the draft. Those are the 2 times of year where rumors and direct misinformation are rampant.

I'd urge everyone to read this: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/28/beware-smokescreens-and-misdirections/

Mike Jones at least has talked to people in the organization, doesn't work for Dan Snyder, and isn't one of the national reporters used regularly by coaches and front offices to leak things (Like Schefter and Glazer are).

If Snyder pursues a big-name coach, he could wind up having to pay more than $20 million for two coaching staffs combined.

It remains to be seen whether either Cowher or Jon Gruden have interest in returning to the sideline — and working for Snyder. Earlier this month, Cowher was critical of Snyder, saying that Washington’s problems “start from the top.” But years ago, Schottenheimer said he would never coach for Snyder, and a month later, he agreed to do so.

Meanwhile, Gruden has said he intends to return to “Monday Night Football” for another season rather than coach in 2014.

Snyder also could have a hard time persuading Briles to leave Baylor for the NFL. The 58-year-old coach has maintained a strong bond with Griffin, attending several Redskins games in the past two seasons. And he has a reputation of success when it comes to reclamation projects. He turned around the University of Houston’s football program and now has developed Baylor into a powerhouse. Griffin helped spearhead those efforts at Baylor. But one person familiar with Briles’s thinking said he believed it to be “a long shot” that Briles would leave his native Texas and the school where he is considered royalty. Another wondered if he could handle the politics of the NFL or the bright, high-pressure spotlight in D.C.

One former NFL executive said he expected the Redskins to pursue Whisenhunt, who also is rumored to have drawn interest from Houston and potentially from Detroit as well. The 51-year-old Whisenhunt, who played tight end for the Redskins from 1989 to 1990, currently serves as offensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers and has helped Philip Rivers revive his career. Whisenhunt coached Arizona from 2007 to 2012 and guided the Cardinals to their first Super Bowl appearance in the 2008 season, and then in 2012 had the team off to a 4-0 start. But Arizona lost nine straight games, finished the year 5-11 and missed the playoffs a third straight year.

Meanwhile, another league insider said Grimm could also receive consideration from Redskins officials. And a third person called it possible that Raheem Morris, currently Washington’s defensive backs coach and the former head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, could receive consideration as either the head coach or defensive coordinator. Todd Bowles, another former Redskins player and Arizona’s current defensive coordinator, also has been mentioned as a possible defensive coordinator candidate for Washington.

Firing Shanahan creates another void within the organization as well because he also had final say on all personnel moves. Bruce Allen holds the title of general manager, but he is known more for contract negotiation and salary cap management than talent evaluation, so Snyder could have to bring on a general manager to work alongside Allen.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/if-the-redskins-fire-mike-shanahan-there-is-a-list-of-coaches-who-could-replace-him/2013/12/29/788c68e2-70c8-11e3-9389-09ef9944065e_story.html

If a personnel guy is hired, and I hope one is, I think a good one may be available shortly: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/29/mckenzie-could-be-out-in-oakland/

So much in expecting to get a first round pick for Counsins
I don't think any Skins fan (at least the sane ones) seriously thought there was ever a chance of that happening. I did think there was a chance for a 2nd if he played well and a 3rd if he was decent. Now its looking as if it is probably just best to hold onto him. I don't think they'll get a 3rd.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m

The #Redskins are planning for a press conference around 10 am tomorrow, where they are expected to announce their coaching change.
Caution: Rappaport has been used to leak things from various front office sources in the last 3-4 weeks, so this may or may not be true.

edited to add

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980 3m

From #Redskins Senior VP RT @tonyylee: The Redskins have not scheduled a tomorrow morning 10am press conference

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the summary. Schefter/Mort and JLC echoed that Shanahan is definitely gone as have the Skins beat writers.

That list of coaches is interesting. Our team obviously has all their eggs in the RGIII basket, so most importantly, we have to find a guy who can set him straight and help develop him. I'm not saying we need an enabler, but we need a guy who can mentor him a bit and develop him as a passer. Whether that comes from the head coach or a coach/coordinator that he'd bring along with him. Secondly, I think we need to have a player personnel guy. Obviously Allen is not a true GM. He is more a business guy. Promote Allen to whatever and bring in a good personnel guy and make him GM. Look at all the successful NFL franchises, pretty much all of them have a personnel guy who is not the coach. You may point out NE/Belichick, but I'd argue he has hurt his team with his personnel decisions.

Here is how I would prefer them:

1. Bill O'Brien - Probably most people's favorite, but for me, this only works if he comes with a true GM/personnel guy. It seems that O'Brien will be able to name his price with a team and I assumes that would mean he'd want full control (just guessing). As would any of the other big names, Cowher and Jon Gruden, I do think O'Brien would be a great fit for Griffin III and would immediately command respect from the team. Plus he already has experience with successful NFL teams (NE) and also with navigate through a circus atmosphere and make things better right away.

2.) Jay Gruden. I think he's done extremely well with Dalton. Dalton, to me is a mediocre QB, but he has made him more than that and the offense has been powerful. Seems like he has deserved a head coaching spot for a while, but at least to my knowledge, he hasn't even been close other than having a few interviews. Not sure why he was looked over like that. Another plus is that he probably would not be as demanding for control as some of the bigger names might be.

3.) Darrell Bevell. He has experience and has had success with QB's and offenses pretty much anywhere and working with different types of offenses (pass heavy with Favre and run heavy with Seattle). He is a good play caller and worked with with Russ Wilson. Seems like all the QB's who played for him, loved him.

The rest of that list I am so-so on.

No to Wiz, he is a good coordinator, but he did bad things in AZ.

Gase intrigues me, but he has been QB coach and offensive coordinator for a Peyton Manning lead offense. Not exactly a tough gig.

Not sure Greg Roman could do it withouth Harbaugh.

I like Lovie Smith, Zimmer and Horton and wouldn't be upset if they hired any of these guys, but as mentioned above, I'd prefer an offensive minded head coach.

southeastjerome said:
Gopher State said:
So much in expecting to get a first round pick for Counsins
I don't think any Skins fan (at least the sane ones) seriously thought there was ever a chance of that happening. I did think there was a chance for a 2nd if he played well and a 3rd if he was decent. Now its looking as if it is probably just best to hold onto him. I don't think they'll get a 3rd.
Yeah, there were only a few Redskins fans who seriously think Cousins is that good right now. But, since they tend to be the types of people who call into radio shows, it makes it seem like there are more of them out there than there really are.

However, I don't think anyone needs to overreact and start concluding that Cousins sucks either. There's no reason to overreact in either direction based on just a few games. If most of his mistakes the last couple weeks have been the type that can be fixed with coaching, then there may still be some teams out there who are interested in him.

In no certain order, these would be my candidates: Bevell, Roman, Jay Gurden, O'Brien, Shaw, Sumlin, Zimmer. I really, really, really hope we don't go and get someone like Cowher or John Gruden.

Shanahan is meeting with Snyder right now. There's word from a couple beat reporters that Snyder has him out running sprints in order to pass a conditioning test. "To put him in the best position to win."

They tried to get a 7th round pick for Shanahan but nobody was biting. He refused demotion to the practice squad.

I thought Bill O Brien was all set for the Texans job. Did he turn it down?

The fact that they got rid of every single coach on this team makes me think that a coach has been decided

Last edited by a moderator:
Press conference between 12 and 12:30.

I halfway expect Kyle to run through the room making fart noises.

Is Shanny still blaming the salary cap for the Skins problems? for christ sakes even the blindest Kevin sheehan/Eric Bickel/Chris Russell like homer has given up on that theory

I was just happy to not see Cowher, Jon Gruden, and Whisenhunt on it.

Shanahan - "When we first came here, we knew we were in some tough situations relative to the salary cap,"

Users who are viewing this thread