What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO Hard Knocks 2014: Atlanta Falcons (1 Viewer)

Discussed this in the Hard Knocks threads. I think it'll be Steelers as I think the NFL will make the calculation that they are the most likely of these 3 to return to the playoffs and thus become ineligible. Not surprised it's down to those 3 - I know the Chargers were supposedly interested but I can see the league nudging them out because of the chance to get these three.

-QG

It would be fantastic if the Steelers got the role for HBO this year... would be a HUGE subscription boost for HBO as well.

Great, Pitt.

Pandering to all the bandwagon wannabee fans with no real connection to the City

They should totally pick a team that no one except a few thousand people would be interested in seeing. Why would HBO do something as dumb as choose a team with a large fan base?

They should totally pick a team that no one except a few thousand people would be interested in seeing. Why would HBO do something as dumb as choose a team with a large fan base?
What NFL team has only a 'few thousand' fans? This isn't arena football.

I highly doubt it's the Giants. They are such an old school type team, they don't want something like this going on around them and they just aren't exciting. There are no loud mouths or extremely animated players. Nothing screams GREAT TV like Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin. If it gets spicy enough, maybe they'll even get some "gosh darnits" on camera.

I'd love to see a team like Cleveland. A team that has been so bad for so long that appears to be so close to having some serious weapons and being a contender. New coaches, one of (if not THE) best receivers in the league, a new RB with potential. Either a new QB or someone exciting like Sammy Watkins from the draft.

Now that I think of it, it should just be to whichever team Manziel goes to. The media would love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
steveski said:
I highly doubt it's the Giants. They are such an old school type team, they don't want something like this going on around them and they just aren't exciting. There are no loud mouths or extremely animated players. Nothing screams GREAT TV like Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin. If it gets spicy enough, maybe they'll even get some "gosh darnits" on camera.

I'd love to see a team like Cleveland. A team that has been so bad for so long that appears to be so close to having some serious weapons and being a contender. New coaches, one of (if not THE) best receivers in the league, a new RB with potential. Either a new QB or someone exciting like Sammy Watkins from the draft.

Now that I think of it, it should just be to whichever team Manziel goes to. The media would love it.
You're describing the first Bengals Hard Knocks y'know with that Browns description ;)

The tempting part for the NFL to do the Giants is that you have such an old school coach like Coughlin - it's a rare chance for them in that it may be the only chance to get him. None of those 3 teams "want" to do it - but the rules will compel them.

-QG

I kinda hope it's the Bears outta those 3 teams

Be interesting to see Jay Cutler in various scenarios

Brandon Marshall and if he still has issues with his multiple personality disorder that he talked about a few years back

The progression of Alshon Jeffrey

Hearing the thought process of the QB guru in Marc Trestman

steveski said:

I could see the Giants ownership doing it if they felt it was "good for the league" and wouldn't be a detriment to the team. Coughlin, old school as he is, can be pretty cagey and I could see him using this to his advantage should it go that way.

That said, longshot, at best.

steveski said:

I could see the Giants ownership doing it if they felt it was "good for the league" and wouldn't be a detriment to the team. Coughlin, old school as he is, can be pretty cagey and I could see him using this to his advantage should it go that way.

That said, longshot, at best.
They don't have a choice per league rules. While clearly the NFL would prefer a team be cooperative it's not a choice.

-QG

Bruce Arians doesn't want 'Hard Knocks,' not a fan of reality TVBy Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

Here's the deal: If an NFL team hasn't appeared on HBO's documentary series Hard Knocks in the last 10 years, hasn't reached the playoffs the last two seasons, or didn't just hire a new coach, they can be mandated by the league to take part in the show.

And that means the Cardinals, who just missed the playoffs last season (and would have made it if the postseason included 14 teams), are candidates for Hard Knocks 2014, which tapes and airs during training camp. This does not sit well with coach Bruce Arians.

"I think it's a total distraction to what you're trying to accomplish," Arians said via AZCentral.com, "because everything about Hard Knocks is getting on television and being an individual. And it's a team game."

Arians, who might be one of the most interesting people in the league, says he'll clam up if the Hard Knocks cameras end up in Arizona this summer.

"I don't watch reality TV," he said. "It does nothing for me so I don't really want to be on reality TV. I would have to change totally how I coach. It would not be acceptable to a lot of people, and I've been down the road with some people."

If this all sounds familiar, it should; back in October, Arians said the show was "an embarrassment to players," adding that, "I think when players are released, some of the things that are said between coaches and players are too personal, and nobody else's business."

Arizona is one of eight teams -- along with the Steelers, Bears, Bills, Giants, Jaguars, Rams and Raiders -- that the league could force to take part in the series. Early indications, according to AZCentral.com, are that the Cards won't be featured. That's good news for Arians, but bad news for Mike Tomlin or Tom Coughlin, our favorites to end up with the short straw.

It's a shame Cardinals' Bruce Arians dislikes 'Hard Knocks'

Kent Somers

The Arizona Cardinals have never been featured HBO's Hard Knocks, which annually takes viewers behind the scenes at an NFL training camp. And if coach Bruce Arians has his way, that streak will continue during his tenure.

"I think it's a total distraction to what you're trying to accomplish," Arians said, "because everything about Hard Knocks is getting on television and being an individual. And it's a team game."

Arians' stance is understandable, but fans of the show should wish he didn't feel so strongly. That's because no team would be more fun than the Cardinals this summer.

That starts with Arians, who is entertaining and quotable, adjectives rarely used to describe NFL coaches.

Here's just a sample from last season, Arians' first in Arizona.

Asked what he thought of some of his players viewing him as a father figure: "I don't like that," he said. "I'm the cool uncle you like to have a drink with. Everybody had that uncle, that you just love that uncle. He might call you a little (expletive) or something. That's me."

On not having his players do organized stretching before practices or games: "I know this — if a guy starts chasing you with a gun, you're not going to stretch."

On not giving his players too much time off during the off week: "Too many times when a guy gets a day off, he gets tased in Miami, South Beach, or something. We don't want any of that stuff."

To running back Andre Ellington, after the rookie had hair yanked out during a game: "What can I tell you, baby, we'll get you some more."

Responding to quarterback Carson Palmer, who asked if Arians included himself when saying there were a bunch of great looking athletes in the Cardinals' locker room: "Yeah, buddy. Sixty and sexy!"

On living life at full speed, going for the green on the golf course and throwing deep on the football field: "No risk-it, no biscuit."

Arians conducts some of the best news conferences in the NFL; just imagine what he must be like with his players, behind closed doors.

If Hard Knocks was around, however, Arians wouldn't be Arians, according to Arians.

"I don't watch reality TV," he said. "It does nothing for me, so I don't really want to be on reality TV. I would have to change totally how I coach. It would not be acceptable to a lot of people, and I've been down the road with some people."

Arians also doesn't like that private conversations with players, assistant coaches and management are made public on the show.

Although he could, Arians wouldn't have to carry the Hard Knocks series for the Cardinals. Attractive story lines abound.

Safety Tyrann Mathieu, the Honey Badger, is trying to recover from two torn knee ligaments in time to play in the season opener.

Even without Hard Knocks around, defensive end Darnell Dockett has stirred the pot at camp before by tweeting that he brought an alligator with him. Imagine what Dockett would be like with cameras around.

Pass rusher John Abraham, who turns 36 on Tuesday, has more sacks than any other active player and could be in his last season.

Palmer's dry wit was a hit on Hard Knocks in 2009 when the show featured the Cincinnati Bengals.

"All individuals, nothing about team," Arians said in response to that.

HBO hasn't announced this year's featured team. While the Cardinals don't want to do it, they are one of eight teams that could be compelled. Last year, the league adopted rules that allow it to force teams to participate. There are three criteria: a team can't have a new head coach, can't have made the playoffs the past two seasons and can't have been on the show the past 10 years.

Early indications are the Cardinals aren't going to be featured this year.

Report: Seattle Seahawks are finalists for ‘Hard Knocks’

By Stephen Cohen

It’s not TV, it’s HBO. And this summer, it might be the Seattle Seahawks in prime time, according to ESPN’s John Clayton.

In an appearance on 710 AM’s “Wyman, Mike and Moore” on Wednesday, Clayton reported that the Seahawks are one of eight teams who could be featured on this year’s version of HBO’s “Hard Knocks.”

Clayton’s report comes one day after NFL spokesperson Greg Aiello denied that the New York Giants, Chicago Bears and Pittsburgh Steelers were the three finalists for this year’s program.

The show would give fans upset at the Hawks’ lack of prime-time matchups a chance to see the squad in a whole new light. The documentary series — a joint venture of HBO and NFL Films — takes viewers inside an NFL training camp, giving fans an opportunity to experience the ups and downs of preparing for a new football season. There’s plenty of drama, as the show generally highlights several players whose roster spot is less than assured, and it undoubtedly provides an opportunity for football fans to see their favorite players behind the scenes.

The NFL ultimately decides which of the league’s 32 squads will be featured on the show. Teams looking for exposure may volunteer for the starring role, But rules enacted last year allow franchises with new coaches, teams that have been in the playoffs at least once in the past two years, or teams that have done the show once in the past decade are exempt from being forced into appearing.

The playoff provision would apply to the Seahawks, so it will be up to them to decide if they’d like to star in the upcoming season. The team has turned down the invitation two years in a row.

While the program is certainly an entertaining way to gain some insight into the NFL and would give the Hawks massive exposure outside of Seattle, Clayton’s report begs the question: Would appearing on it be a good idea for a team attempting to become the first to repeat as Super Bowl champs since the 2004 New England Patriots?

The “Hard Knocks” experience is certainly intrusive, as teams allow cameras places usually reserved for only players, coaches and team employees. And the track record for participating teams doesn’t exactly scream success. In eight seasons of the show, featured teams are just 67-61, with playoff appearances just half of the time. None advanced past their conference championship games.

Critics have argued that allowing an outside presence into a team’s facility creates a distraction for players and coaches. But others point out that NFL teams are used to being in the spotlight, and appearing on the show is hardly different from their daily exposure.

What do you think, Seahawks fans?

I think Jacksonville...while they are actually interesting, if you take what they were 365 days ago, this would be the downside to the deal from the HBO perspective (if a team volunteers, you gotta take them)...with that said, if it is JAX, they may have walked into a neat situation.

Hmm...can't say that sounds too exciting to me. Don't they seem a little boring and veteran-y? The Falcons are too classy for this.

Of course I'll watch, I'd watch any team. Can't say there is too much I'm looking forward to about it though...

Rotoworld:

The Falcons will be featured on HBO's Hard Knocks this summer.

The Falcons could have declined participation because they made the playoffs two years ago. Instead, they chose to volunteer. Hopefully, we'll get a glimpse into Julio Jones' rehab off another right foot surgery and rookie RB Devonta Freeman's progress. The show premiers Aug. 5.

Jun 12 - 12:26 PM

I am interested in a number of Falcons stories:

1. Julio's recovery from his foot injury.

2. Continued development of Matt Ryan and a closer look at his leadership capabilities.

3. Improvements to the offensive line.

4. The role that rookie RB Freeman will play.

5. The role that Steven Jackson will play.

6. How the Falcons will address the recent loss at the LB position (Vilma?)

7. Roddy White can be outspoken; however, with the recent tragedy he has experienced, will he keep a lower profile?

I am sure there are a number of other stories that HBO will uncover.

I am interested in a number of Falcons stories:

1. Julio's recovery from his foot injury.

2. Continued development of Matt Ryan and a closer look at his leadership capabilities.

3. Improvements to the offensive line.

4. The role that rookie RB Freeman will play.

5. The role that Steven Jackson will play.

6. How the Falcons will address the recent loss at the LB position (Vilma?)

7. Roddy White can be outspoken; however, with the recent tragedy he has experienced, will he keep a lower profile?

I am sure there are a number of other stories that HBO will uncover.
White can be outspoken and can also be an absolute idiot while he is being outspoken.

#### him.

From a fantasy perspectivce, I'll be interested in seeing which TE emerges. From a story, I'm also interested in seeing how Roddy and Julio are dealing with coming back to training camp with the personal unrest they have, both having had their brother's shot, and Roddy's was killed.

There were a number of issues for the Falcons on the offensive line and with the defense last year, so it will be interesting to see how they address all of those issues.

It's too bad that this isn't the year that Brian Banks was attempting to fulfill his NFL dream, as that would have made for a very compelling story!

Here are some of the types of comments from Roddy White's twitter that we may have to look forward to:

"All them jurors should go home tonight and kill themselves for letting a grown man get away with killing a kid"

"Watching NFL countdown and they talking bad about Aldon Smith but I'm willing to bet Keyshawn Tom and cris have all driven drunk no doubt"

"Aldon smith isn't right in any way form or fashion but come on guys don't act like you never [drove drunk] you just got away with it"

"A lot of stuff get swept under the rug at university's don't understand why penn state had to tell the media we got a coach rapping kids"

"You know that's gone hurt the university you can't control a grown man I just think they should've got him arrested and that's the end"

"I would send my kid there if he wanted to go he wasn't rappin football players that's a great program that joe pa ran"

Dimitroff: All on board with 'Hard Knocks'

By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

The Atlanta Falcons aren’t the only team that will have to be comfortable with an inordinate amount of cameras at training camp.

Part of the process of HBO’s "Hard Knocks" trailing the Falcons includes a trip to Houston, where the Falcons and Texans will hold a pair of joint practices (Aug. 13-14) leading up to their Aug. 16 preseason matchup.

The film crew won’t travel on the plane with the Falcons, but it will be inside Houston Methodist Training Center for the Falcons’ arrival.

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff thoroughly discussed the matter with the Texans.

"I’ve talked to the general manager, Rick Smith, and Smitty [Mike Smith] has talked to Coach [bill] O’Brien, and they are comfortable with it," Dimitroff said. "[Hard Knocks] will not be showcasing the other team that we will be visiting. They’ll continue to focus on our team."

Dimitroff reiterated how the Falcons are totally behind the decision to be a part of "Hard Knocks" this season. It was far from a mandate from team owner Arthur Blank. In fact, the Falcons wouldn’t have accepted the invitation had Smith not signed off on it.

HBO approached the Falcons about "Hard Knocks" four of the past five years.

"This was not a brand play, period," Dimitroff said. "We think the series will give the fans that in-depth look; the idea of being able to see what the Atlanta Falcons are truly about and how we run our organization and how we’re mindful and professional about how we carry on our business."

Smith and Dimitroff had a two-and-a-half hour meeting with the folks from "Hard Knocks" and weighed all the pros and cons.

"This was a collaborative organizational decision," Dimitroff said. "This was made with the input of several people: the owner, the president, the general manager, the head coach, our entire communications team. We did a lot of work and a lot research on this.

"Myself and Smitty spent a lot of time with the 'Hard Knocks' crew. We asked a lot of questions and ran a lot of different scenarios by them. And we felt very comfortable after our meeting with them."

Skeptics wonder if "Hard Knocks" will be a needless distraction for a team coming off a 4-12 season. And taking on such an endeavor seems to counter Smith’s conservative approach.

"At the end of the day, the simple fact is Arthur mentioned to Smitty that he ultimately had to be comfortable with this decision as the head coach of this football team," Dimitroff said. "If Smitty wasn’t comfortable with any aspect of this, we would have moved on from the decision. Smitty was comfortable, and we decided to go through with it."

Smith addressed the decision to be on "Hard Knocks" through a statement released by the team.

"We are looking forward to connecting with our fans across the country as the program chronicles our 2014 training camp," Smith said. "The series will give fans a behind the scenes look at the competition between players as we build our roster and prepare for the season. We are looking forward to the start of camp in late July."

HBO debuts "Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Falcons" on Aug. 5.

Roddy does say some dumb stuff on Twitter, and I get that some people don't like him for it, but on the field, he's usually pretty entertaining. Last year at camp, he was joking around, throwing passes with the QBs, tackling Harry Douglas when he wasn't looking, etc. The receiving corps is usually pretty much like brothers messing with each other, so they should add to the show IMO.

Hopefully Weatherspoon will still be part of the show, as he's definitely the biggest personality on the defense. The storylines of Freeman and Hageman's rough upbringings will surely be featured at times. Mike Tice getting in the faces of the O-line and hurling expletives should also be entertaining.

The Falcons aren't the most exciting team they could have chosen, but I think they've got a lot to work with to make a good show.

From a fantasy perspectivce, I'll be interested in seeing which TE emerges. From a story, I'm also interested in seeing how Roddy and Julio are dealing with coming back to training camp with the personal unrest they have, both having had their brother's shot, and Roddy's was killed.
Personally, I'm not expecting much value fantasy-wise from the TE position. They elected to roll with Toilolo and Pascoe, and Mike Smith has said that they will no longer have an "F" tight end that moves around like Gonzalez, and that the TEs will be more "Y" inline tight ends. IMO, Toilolo is more of a red-zone threat and Pascoe a blocking tight end. I've also read that they may go to a 3WR base on offense.

The player who benefits most fantasy-wise from Gonzalez retiring may very well be Harry Douglas.

Atlanta Falcons: Introduction to training camp

Excerpt:

Will the increased cameras and attention ultimately be a distraction? The Supervising Producer of NFL Films, Ken Rodgers, doesn’t seem to think so as he states, “We’ve been shooting training camps since 1967,” he started before he told one of his favorite stories about NFL Films.

The story goes that NFL Films founder Steve Sabol convinced the legendary Green Bay Packers Coach Vince Lombardi to allow him to film his training camp for a day. After the day was over, Sabol was packing up his gear and film before Lombardi approached him and said, “I want you to come back tomorrow.” Sabol then apologizes to the famous coach by saying that he only brought enough film for one day of shooting. To which Lombardi replies, “the players won’t know that, they practiced harder today than they have all training camp; I’ll see you tomorrow.”

If this show was a woman, I'd marry her. Not only is there awesome behind-the-scenes access, but to me it signals the official start of another football season.

:football:

.1 Baltimore Ravens (2001) 10-6 [1-1in playoffs] (SB Champs previous year)

.2 Dallas Cowboys (2002) 5-11 (same as previous year)

.3 Kansas City Chiefs (2007) 4-12 (9-7 previous year)

.4 Dallas Cowboys (2008) 9-7 (13-3 previous year)

.5 Cincinnati Bengals (2009) 10-6 [0-1] (4-11 previous year)

.6 New York Jets (2010) 11-5 [2-1] (9-7 [2-1] previous year)

.7 2011 n/a

.8 Miami Dolphins (2012) 7-9 (6-10 previous year)

.9 Cincinnati Bengals (2013) 11-5 [0-1] (10-6 [0-1] previous year)

.10 Atlanta Falcons (2014)

Users who are viewing this thread