What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Welker (1 Viewer)

@RapSheet: #Texans S DJ Swearinger's hit to the head of #Broncos WR Wes Welker. Led with his shoulder, but hit the head http://t.co/KPUoRFb71X

@ChrisHansenNFL: Welker has to seriously consider retiring if he has another concussion.

Welker concussed?

Last edited by a moderator:
@RapSheet: #Texans S DJ Swearinger's hit to the head of #Broncos WR Wes Welker. Led with his shoulder, but hit the head http://t.co/KPUoRFb71X

@ChrisHansenNFL: Welker has to seriously consider retiring if he has another concussion.

Welker concussed?
Might have been. Took a headshot and left the game. He wasn't KO'd or anything, but it definitely rang his bell.

The look on Swearinger's face when Manning threw that TD and then went down, sought him out and rubbed it in his face was great. Manning got 15 yards for taunting so you can just imagine what he said. You could easily lip read DJ's response to him

I'm not saying Swearinger isn't an #######, because he is, but that specific hit didn't look awfully dirty to me. He didn't lead with his helmet or launch his feet and Welker wasn't defenseless. It also looks like he likely got the concussion from his head hitting the ground.

@DeepSlant

Swearinger says he's been talking noise since he was 5. Says being vocal & getting in players' heads is an integral part of his game.
Give the man credit. He knows his strengths.

FBG's already speculating the PUP list for Welker if Denver wants to save a roster space for Prater's 4 game suspension. Getting concussed three times inside the space of a year can't be good.

FBG's already speculating the PUP list for Welker if Denver wants to save a roster space for Prater's 4 game suspension. Getting concussed three times inside the space of a year can't be good.
He can't go on the PUP. Only players on the preseason PUP can be put on the in season PUP. Once a player comes off the pre season PUP they cannot be placed on the in season PUP. IR designated to return list requires the player to miss 8 games before they can return.

He can't be placed on the PUP list since he was already active during training camp/preseason.

Oh, i really have no idea

just drew that conclusion from the occasional threads he starts - don't seem very football related

Maybe this whole e-mail is made up.

Op should post it

FBG's already speculating the PUP list for Welker if Denver wants to save a roster space for Prater's 4 game suspension.
wut

are they really -- who said that?

was that a bryant e-mail?
Yup, check your email.
Which email and what did it say exactly? I looked and didn't see mention of PUP.
The Matt Prater suspension email that went out this morning.

FBG's already speculating the PUP list for Welker if Denver wants to save a roster space for Prater's 4 game suspension.
wut

Yup, check your email.
Which email and what did it say exactly? I looked and didn't see mention of PUP.
Ah, thanks, didn't check in there.

Our Take:

Denver doesn't curently have a legitimate threat to unseat Matt Prater on their roster. They likely will sign someone when teams perform final cuts. Although the roster spot is extremely valuable, we don't believe Matt is in any danger of being cut. This situation might force the Broncos into placing Wes Welker (concussion) on the PUP list to juggle the roster spots.

-------------

From that email:

One just gets the sense that we are seeing the unfortunate end to a stellar football career here with Welker. Hope this isn't a season ender, but regardless, I don't think you can really trust him to be a consistent fantasy threat going forward. Too many other options for Denver to go to.

that dude may be a piece of crap, but IMO the penalty on that hit was bs....he leads with his shoulder and is actually attempting to go low on welker but welker turtles up and lowers his head causing the contact to the head.....

wut

Yup, check your email.
:confused:

I'm not saying Swearinger isn't an #######, because he is, but that specific hit didn't look awfully dirty to me. He didn't lead with his helmet or launch his feet and Welker wasn't defenseless. It also looks like he likely got the concussion from his head hitting the ground.
Spot on.

That level of contact is inherent in going over the middle of the field. I've been a Welker fan since his days in Miami. I hope he hangs it up, though.

that dude may be a piece of crap, but IMO the penalty on that hit was bs....he leads with his shoulder and is actually attempting to go low on welker but welker turtles up and lowers his head causing the contact to the head.....
Just saw the replay. I agree. I'm not sure what the defender is supposed to do there. He flung his shoulder at Welker's midsection and Welker ducked his head into it. I think it's time the offensive guys start taking some of the blame on themselves for throwing their heads into the fire in order to avoid a big hit to the midsection. Half the time they get hit in the head it's their own fault, and every time we see a good tackle to the midsection that we applaud for being a nice clean hit it was really just a WR turtle/duck away from being a blow to the head.

When a defender is going for a big hit at some point they have to commit to it. I don't think the defensive player should be penalized for the offensive player ducking into it once they're already committed.

FWIW, John Fox said it looked like a clean hit.

wut

Yup, check your email.
:confused:
There was a Welker specific email and the normal daily email which I checked. Plus an email specifically on Prater which I didn't check for news on Welker. Make sense?

Of course, players could actually try to *tackle* instead of going for the *hit*. I swear DBs used to tackle at one point.

Users who are viewing this thread