What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Draft Position (1 Viewer)

T Love

Footballguy
What spot in the draft are you thinking is the best to draft from this year? I don't see a lot of differentiation between the top four backs so #4 is intriguing. I also think #6 may be worthwhile as you get one of the top four backs, or Calvin or Graham. After that, it seems like there are a lot more questions. Maybe getting two players down there would make sense.

What do you see as the best draft position this year (assuming 10-12 man leagues)?

I'm 8 on September 1st. Uh oh. <_<
Obviously every draft is unique. I lived my first 4 picks but after that I felt if was drafting guys just because they were the right guy to take and not because they were the guys I wanted. It was a 12 team big $$ standard league.

I picked 7 last night in my local league. I lucked out getting Lacey with Peyton manning and Calvin went ahead of me. Got Julio jones in the second, Ellington in the third, Vincent Jackson in the 4th.

I really liked a couple teams I got from drafting out of the 6th. Like the person a couple posts above me said, you're guaranteed one of the 6 elite fantasy talents (Big 4 backs, Mega, Graham), and then you can usually pick up an elite WR or low end RB1. From there it's usually pick your poison.

I have the 2nd pick in my major league, and it's been alright. I'm loving being able to grab LeSean or AP guaranteed, but I might wave it about as trade bait if I can garner any interest. Still, having the 2nd-3rd stretch to complete my early picks has been a dream.

Wrote about it in a different thread - but I think 2nd. I think the risk reward takes a serious shift at pick 27 (if the first 26 picks are the top 26 rated players). Chances are somebody - or two - will go break from the 26 meaning you could draft 3rd or maybe 4th and still finish with 3 solid picks,

I have loved my teams drafting from 1.01-1.03 (three drafts).

The middle is awful, and the ends aren't much better. There is a lot of value in the top of the 3rd relative to the rest of the draft so I think this year, like many years, it's a huge benefit to get a top 3 pick.

The middle is awful, and the ends aren't much better. There is a lot of value in the top of the 3rd relative to the rest of the draft so I think this year, like many years, it's a huge benefit to get a top 3 pick.
i dont know about that. i love my draft from the 5 in a 12 tm ppr. i hated the feeling of waiting on rb, but the end result looks promising.

AlwaysRunnyInPhiladelphia
1. (5) Calvin Johnson (Det - WR)
2. (20) Antonio Brown (Pit - WR)
3. (29) Rob Gronkowski (NE - TE)
4. (44) Rashad Jennings (NYG - RB)
5. (53) Joique Bell (Det - RB)
6. (68) Percy Harvin (Sea - WR)
7. (77) Lamar Miller (Mia - RB)
8. (92) Darren Sproles (Phi - RB)
9. (101) Colin Kaepernick (SF - QB)
10. (116) Russell Wilson (Sea - QB)

I was dreading picking at the 12th spot but ended up liking my team it's ppr. I had a couple value picks that fell but all in all I like possibly love it actually!

1.12 Dez

2.1 ball

3.12 Keenan

4.1 Roddy

5.12 ray rice

6.1 B. Tate

7.12 Colston

8.1 E.Sanders

9.12 Romo

10.1 T. West

11.12 j. Stewart

12.1 Nicks

13.12 starks

14.1 Palmer

15.12 grimes

16.1 pats d

17.12 Dan bailey

18.1 latimer

I'm 8 on September 1st. Uh oh. <_<
i loved being at 8.Ideally would probably be 6 or 7 but also depends on who in your league is drafting where.

If you're in the other side of the draft than the other good players then it is just easier compared to being sandwiched between them.

this is probably the first time in years, if not ever, that I would prefer a middle pick over anything else.

I was going to say Top 4 pick for the bolded as well because you get the stud RB in the 1st but also because the 3rd rd this year I do not like, however having the pick in the early 3rd gives you the benefit of taking a WR that may have dropped like Nelson/Brown or upside with Cobb, one of the last dependable RBs in Morris or Bush, or taking the chance on Gronk.

I also dont think pick 10-12 is a bad option because you can lock up 2 top 6, and possibly 2 top 4 WRs, in the first 2 rounds. Then when it comes to the 3rd rd, youre pick is basically a 4th rounder anyway so you arent really losing value of what I view as many of those players going in the 3rd being comparable to 4th rounders.

It's not 8. I felt like is was constantly just missing guys and getting burned on some runs.
I was worried drafting 8/12 and I ended up with Lacy and AJ as my first two picks. It can be a great spot for a shark if the ball bounces your way.

Picked 7th in a 12th am ppr, worked out good for me.

Forte

Lacy

Nelson

Gronk

V Jackson

Crabtree

Floyd

Romo

Kelvin Benjamin

Joique bell

Hunter

Lamar miller

Cooks

Big Ben

Pierce

Kelce

Starks

Walsh

Pittsburgh

What spot in the draft are you thinking is the best to draft from this year? I don't see a lot of differentiation between the top four backs so #4 is intriguing. I also think #6 may be worthwhile as you get one of the top four backs, or Calvin or Graham. After that, it seems like there are a lot more questions. Maybe getting two players down there would make sense.

What do you see as the best draft position this year (assuming 10-12 man leagues)?
The seat between two idiots - doesn't matter where in the draft order

Forte

Lacy

Nelson

Gronk

V Jackson

Crabtree

Floyd

Romo

Kelvin Benjamin

Joique bell

Hunter

Lamar miller

Cooks

Big Ben

Pierce

Kelce

Starks

Walsh

Pittsburgh
Was this the league at the Braille Institute? How do you get Forte in the first and then Lacy in the second?

In any league

Forte

Lacy

Nelson

Gronk

V Jackson

Crabtree

Floyd

Romo

Kelvin Benjamin

Joique bell

Hunter

Lamar miller

Cooks

Big Ben

Pierce

Kelce

Starks

Walsh

Pittsburgh
Was this the league at the Braille Institute? How do you get Forte in the first and then Lacy in the second?In any league
Joique in the 10th, Miller in the 12th. How?

Forte

Lacy

Nelson

Gronk

V Jackson

Crabtree

Floyd

Romo

Kelvin Benjamin

Joique bell

Hunter

Lamar miller

Cooks

Big Ben

Pierce

Kelce

Starks

Walsh

Pittsburgh
Was this the league at the Braille Institute? How do you get Forte in the first and then Lacy in the second?

In any league
I was going to say cross off Forte and then you have a draft that makes sense because the next 6 players were all available a full round after where theyre typically going, and Bell and Cooks are both about 4 rds later than their ADP.

Forte

Lacy

Nelson

Gronk

V Jackson

Crabtree

Floyd

Romo

Kelvin Benjamin

Joique bell

Hunter

Lamar miller

Cooks

Big Ben

Pierce

Kelce

Starks

Walsh

Pittsburgh
Was this the league at the Braille Institute? How do you get Forte in the first and then Lacy in the second?In any league
I was going to say cross off Forte and then you have a draft that makes sense because the next 6 players were all available a full round after where theyre typically going, and Bell and Cooks are both about 4 rds later than their ADP.

Forte

Lacy

Nelson

Gronk

V Jackson

Crabtree

Floyd

Romo

Kelvin Benjamin

Joique bell

Hunter

Lamar miller

Cooks

Big Ben

Pierce

Kelce

Starks

Walsh

Pittsburgh
Well I really got lucky with forte, it was ap, calvin, manning, Rodgers, mcoy, charles... then after I picked forte there was a wr run, that's how I got lacy in the 2nd.As far as the rest not sure , probably lack of research. ..

You can have a good draft from any spot - I had a very good draft from the 9 spot - but only because my opponents picked players in the second and third rounds that should have been 3rd rounders.

When you look at a top 36 list and do a mock, I believe the argumnet stands that that picks 1-4 end up with much better teams than the rest - based mostly on who was selected in the third rounds.

i dont know about that. i love my draft from the 5 in a 12 tm ppr. i hated the feeling of waiting on rb, but the end result looks promising.

Your RBs are hideous !!!!! Your QBs meh! And Antonio Brown with the 20th pick is very questionable

This is a losing team and an injury to Calvin or Gronk and you'r a last place team

Last edited by a moderator:

Your RBs are hideous !!!!! Your QBs meh! And Antonio Brown with the 20th pick is very questionable

This is a losing team and an injury to Calvin or Gronk and you'r a last place team
Brown had at least 5 catches in every game last year, now Sanders and Cotchery are gone, he's a stud regardless but he's gold in PPR. He doesnt have a RB1 but thats what happens when you dont draft a RB in the top 3 rounds. Jennings and Joique if healthy will both be solid RB2 who are also more valuable in PPR. Team looks pretty good to me, although I dont personally like the Miller pick or taking a 2nd QB that early.

I had the same draft position in a 12 team PPR redraft today, and my draft was really similar (I also went with the upside-down strategy):

2. (20) Brandon Marshall (Chi - WR)
5. (53) Toby Gerhart (Jax - RB) -- I was targeting Joique Bell but he went right before Gerhart
6. (68) Cam Newton (QB - Car)
7. (77) Brandon Cooks (NO - WR)
8. (92) Danny Woodhead (SD - RB)
9. (101) Steven Ridley (NE - RB)
10. (116) Mike Evans (TB- WR)
11. (135) Jay Cutler (QB - Chi)
12. (150) Josh Gordon (WR - Cle)

I cringed when I heard I was drafting 1.9 In a 10 man league, then this happened.

QB: R. Wilson, J. Manziel

WR: D. Bryant, Julio Jones, E.Sanders, D.Bowe

RB: L.Bell, R. Bush, J. Bell, L.Miller

TE: J. Cameron, C. Fleener

PK: S. Hauschka

TD: Steelers, Texans

IDP: L. Kuechly

Another 12 team from the 5 spot, but .5ppr. Start 3 WR and no flex.

2. (20) Antonio Brown (Pit - WR) --> 8th WR off the board, passed on Rodgers and Ball
3. (29) Andre Johnson (HOU - WR)
4. (44) Toby Gerhart (JAX - RB)
5. (53) Ryan Mathews (SD - RB) --> Was very fortunate that he was available
6. (68) Jordan Cameron (CLE - TE)
7. (77) Joique Bell (DET - RB)
8. (92) Eric Decker (NYJ - WR)
9. (101) Tony Romo (DAL - QB) --> 13th QB off the board
10. (116) Jay Cutler (CHI - QB)
11. (125) Kyle Rudolph (MIN - TE) --> Rudolph was my targeted TE, and I had planned to grab him in the 8th. Couldn't pass on him here.
12. (140) Andre Williams (NYG - RB)
13-17. Kenny Britt, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mason Crosby, Miles Austin, Jarod Mayo (single IDP)

Passing on Rodgers and Ball in the 2nd was really tough, but I like the way this ended up. Andre has question marks, but I can afford the risk as my WR3. Overall, I'm happy with my depth at every position. I stuck to my guns and waited for a QB. I'll play matchups with Romo/Cutler and probably even Cameron/Rudolph. Should have a weekly advantage at WR and my RBs will keep me competitive.

Brown had at least 5 catches in every game last year, now Sanders and Cotchery are gone, he's a stud regardless but he's gold in PPR. He doesnt have a RB1 but thats what happens when you dont draft a RB in the top 3 rounds. Jennings and Joique if healthy will both be solid RB2 who are also more valuable in PPR. Team looks pretty good to me, although I dont personally like the Miller pick or taking a 2nd QB that early.
In this situation I disagree about taking a 2nd QB early. When you wait at QB and are the 9th or 10th guy to take one, I think going back to back QB, or very close to it, is a great strategy and maybe even necessary for playing a QBBC that can compete with the other top QB's taken early. If you are the last guy to take a QB, then you have to be one of, if not the first, to get a top back up.

Really don't like 8-10

I really want a top 4 RB, Calvin, Graham, or Demaryius with my first pick (that's 7 guys). But for every guy you really like among Lacy, Lynch, another WR, you can extend past the 7th pick and still be happy about your first guy.

In this situation I disagree about taking a 2nd QB early. When you wait at QB and are the 9th or 10th guy to take one, I think going back to back QB, or very close to it, is a great strategy and maybe even necessary for playing a QBBC that can compete with the other top QB's taken early. If you are the last guy to take a QB, then you have to be one of, if not the first, to get a top back up.
I dont disagree but if youre drafting Kaep and Wilson in the 9th-10th you can probably get Rivers/Cutler/Roethlisberger in 12th-13th instead as your backup and not lose much. Those few rounds are where the valuable/upside WRs and RBs go, or possibly TE depending on your strategy.

I dont disagree but if youre drafting Kaep and Wilson in the 9th-10th you can probably get Rivers/Cutler/Roethlisberger in 12th-13th instead as your backup and not lose much. Those few rounds are where the valuable/upside WRs and RBs go, or possibly TE depending on your strategy.
if i dont get a stud QB, i usually go for a homerun backed up by a safe floor. 2 years ago i drafted Ben and RG3 back to back and it worked out perfectly. I won the regular season money and playoff money. i wouldnt have gotten very far with just one or the other. Both were needed especially in the final stretch.

after the first few round i realized i couldnt afford a top shelf QB. So i drafted Kaep as my high ceiling guy and Wilson as my fall back safety. Cutler was drafted between Kaep and Wilson. Rivers has a new OC and some inconsistency from year to year. I didnt want him to be my safety net. Also The 49ers and Seahawks schedules lineup perfectly. i didnt have to pass on much to get my desired committee.

1 is the best spot. Exhibit A from my $120 non-PPR draft tonight.

Mccoy

Brown

Jeffery

Joique

Floyd

Witten

Golden Tate (small reach but I like him this year - Colston went the pick before)

Pierce

Cutler

Ertz

Hyde

Ingram

Jeremy Hill

Three top 20 WRs, #1 overall RB, low RB2, two top 10 TEs (imo), and 4 upside late RB picks.

I'm also high on Cutler this year but other people might see that as a big negative. I think he's ~QB8-10 easily.

Have done a few drafts and I hate #1 this yr unless I can pull Gronk #24. When I can start McCoy/Gronk/Gio or something similar I'm happy. I don't really like the WR in question though or rb/rb/rb myself

cheese said:
Have done a few drafts and I hate #1 this yr unless I can pull Gronk #24. When I can start McCoy/Gronk/Gio or something similar I'm happy. I don't really like the WR in question though or rb/rb/rb myself
Gronk has been available at the 2.12/3.01 in every single league where I've drafted. I seriously considered him but could not pass on both Brown/jeffrey being available. If one on of those guys was NOT available, I would have taken gronk. He went the very next pick (3.02)

I cringed when I heard I was drafting 1.9 In a 10 man league, then this happened.

QB: R. Wilson, J. Manziel

WR: D. Bryant, Julio Jones, E.Sanders, D.Bowe

RB: L.Bell, R. Bush, J. Bell, L.Miller

TE: J. Cameron, C. Fleener

PK: S. Hauschka

TD: Steelers, Texans

IDP: L. Kuechly
I'm not sure when you did this draft but why would you even take Manziel in a 10 team league at all?

I picked 12th in a 12 team non PPR.

QB Romo, Ben

RB Jennings, Vereen, J. Hill, D. Freeman, J. Starks

WR Dez, AJ Green, Michael Floyd

TE Gronk, D, Walker

D Seattle

K Gostkowski

RBs are terrible here, hoping for a big year from Romo. I couldn't pass up Dez and AJ there, but the RBs just fell apart between my 2nd and third picks.

I think the top four are really the best spots this year. The first three rounds will net you a top RB and then usually two top 15 wideouts or Gronk. I did two drafts from #3 and got Charles/ABrown/Jordy and Charles/ABrown/VJax. The middle picks scare me, unless again you can go Lacy, WR, WR. In a draft I did at #6, I took Calvin but by the time #19 rolled around, a lot of RB's were picked clean. Didn't have a late round pick in any drafts, but you probably couldn't go wrong going RB/WR.

For me, it all comes down to how much you trust that Joique/Gerhart/Rashad/CJohnson group. I like each of them as a #2, but not as a #1.

To switch it up, what's the best pick in a 3RR?

We drew slots and the #1 pick could chose his slot. He chose 12th. When it was my choice, 3rd, 9th, 10th, 11th was available. I took the 11th spot.

etc.

...should be pretty good this year.

Two elite WR, choice of Gronk or Julius at the 3.02 is likely, then load up on mid-round RBs like Joique/Rice/etc. and take a QB super late.

1 is the best spot. Exhibit A from my $120 non-PPR draft tonight.

Mccoy

Brown

Jeffery

Joique

Floyd

Witten

Golden Tate (small reach but I like him this year - Colston went the pick before)

Pierce

Cutler

Ertz

Hyde

Ingram

Jeremy Hill

Three top 20 WRs, #1 overall RB, low RB2, two top 10 TEs (imo), and 4 upside late RB picks.

I'm also high on Cutler this year but other people might see that as a big negative. I think he's ~QB8-10 easily.
with great in season management we give your team a 73% chance of making the playoffs

Users who are viewing this thread