What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you rather: draft Maurice Jones Drew or Steven Jackson (1 Viewer)

Who would you rather have?

• Steven Jackson

Votes: 60 36.1%
  • Maurice Jones Drew

Votes: 106 63.9%

• Total voters

draquaman

Footballguy
I'm doing a .5 PPR league and Steven Jackson got picked up right before MJD. I'm in need of a back up RB so I'm trading for one of these guys. Who's better and why?

My case for Steven Jackson:

The Falcons offense (especially with Julio back) is p cool. SJax should get a ton of goal line looks. If they're leading games a lot, they'll run a lot.

But

He's 31. (though Fred Jackson is 33 and he did awesome last year)

He's already having hammy issues (the other one now)

Falcons are a pass first team

I hear their O-line sucks

My case for MJD:

He's not really old.

He looked good in preseason

Questionable QBs means they're running a lot

But

McFadden is behind him

Raiders offense. lol

That's all i can think of

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Jackson is done yet. As long as he is on the field he is the starter and a 3 down back for Atlanta. So if he's playing I see him having more value than mjd. Problem is he probably won't even come close to playing a 16 game season.

I can see mjd playing 16 games. Aside from a recent injury he has been pretty durable in his career. Over the course of the season my bet is that mjd outperforms sjax. Only BC sjax will get injured. Those hammies...

Jackson will not play ten games but will have a few big games with a couple of TDs.

MJD will play all season and be steady. I don't expect any big games though.

The shark move is to draft mjd around his adp, let someone else take sjax, and draft devonta freeman a few rounds later.

Factoring in age, touches and recent injury history I don't think it's quite fair to paint SJax as that much more of an injury risk than MJD (he is but it's not like we're comparing SJax to some fresh faced rookie with a spotless injury history). Assuming that we cannot accurately predict which one of these players will go down first, I'd rather have the guy with less competition and in the higher powered offense. You have to imagine SJax has a higher TD ceiling this year. During a complete bust of a year last year he still managed to somehow score 7 TDs.

It's close and the answer could easily just be to avoid both but I don't think MJD is the no-brainer here.

Oak always seems to be able to run pretty good but they never have a RB play a full season.

Even Rashad Jennings was good in Oaklands Offense.

If you are playing the odds, go with the younger RB. Even though MJD sucked, he was recovering from a Lis-franc and in less than optimal shape than he wanted to be in. So that could explain his bad season. He also was healthier overall than Sjax was last year and played more games. He is looking pretty healthy this offseason and Jax missed the whole preseason which is often bad news. (MJD missed a lot of time last year as welI due to holdout) I do agree that if all things are equal I would expect Jackson to do better due to the offense.

SJax will have more points per game but since I expect him to miss games MJD will have more fantasy points at the end of the season.

I voted for MJD, but if I feel like I need to draft either of these two for RB depth, I had a poor draft. I have zero faith in either.

Both are risky, and obviously SJax is the bigger health risk, but I'd still draft him over MJD. Falcons are going to score a lot more points than the Raiders and the Raiders will probably be playing from behind a lot, so SJax would be better if (a big if) he doesn't lose a hammy.

Freelove said:
I like both. :shrug:

I like MJD a little better, though.
yeah, I like both, too.

I got a few stats and notes on them from various rotoworld blurbs and pff articles

this is assuming ppr, btw

I drafted jackson last year, so I might be a little biased towards liking him --- week 1 he had a big 50 yd run on his way to 122 total yards and 8 targets.

thought I was right on the money 'til he hurt himself the following week.

the guy should get plenty of td opps in that offense, especially with the pi enforcement, and I don't really have faith that the rookie will unseat him.

so, here are a few stats ---- bear in mind, gonzo is gonzo, so rather than a te out running routes they'll keep the te home to block and run more 3 wide stuff, probably as their base now that they have jones and white back (at least for week 1)

this also may shunt more targets jackson's way, as they have a few line issues, and I imagine he's the dump off hot read.

so, here are a few stats ----- turns out I actually only have one stat.

Steven Jackson put up an ugly 2.6 YPC against Base. His 4.7 YPC against Nickel was much better. (courtesy pff)

remember, he'll probably see a lot of nickel, and they brought in jon asamoah at guard who was a pretty good run blocker in kc for charles last year.

pretty sure I have more stats on mojo:

Not only was Jacksonville’s run blocking pathetic last season, it received the worst grade given out by PFF in the last six seasons (-108.0)

In 2013, while Gerhart was cruising through a wall of Vikings typically engaged with light defensive fronts, he didn’t meet with resistance until 4.12 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, on average Jones-Drew, on the other hand, was hit just 1.14 yards past the line of scrimmage, on average.

The Raiders finished with the third-highest TTP to RB (total target %) --- --- OAK was also 2nd in snaps by rb in route in 2013 -- reece 267, jennings 212

so, you have mjd exiting a dumpster fire after a season where he hurt his knee early in the year, and then his hammy towards the end.

the guy is excellent at catching the ball, which is a great fit because oakland likes to throw to the rb, and I believe oakland was so down on mcfadden last year they benched him for jennings, who then put up 584 yards and 6 td in 7 games.

since then oakland has apparently aimed to build on their running game, as they've been upgrading their o-line by adding LT Penn, RG (former RT) Austin Howard, and 3rd round rookie LG Gabe Jackson --- with last year's 2nd rounder, Menelik Watson, at RT

wouldnt touch freeman at all.

sjax is certain for another soft tissue injury. anyone remember him dominating the defense and breaking free for a 60 yard td only to inexplicably blow his hammy with no contact?

ill take mjd soley on his 40 yard preseason td run. he looked spry. he showed burst. they should lean on him and hell, mebbe he makes a resurgence in receptions to really bad his stats.

i do like both. atl has nobody else at all. freeman and quiz seem mediocre.

wouldnt touch freeman at all.

sjax is certain for another soft tissue injury. anyone remember him dominating the defense and breaking free for a 60 yard td only to inexplicably blow his hammy with no contact?

ill take mjd soley on his 40 yard preseason td run. he looked spry. he showed burst. they should lean on him and hell, mebbe he makes a resurgence in receptions to really bad his stats.

i do like both. atl has nobody else at all. freeman and quiz seem mediocre.

Agree. It certainly looks good for MJD to get back to getting more receptions. Jax totally misused him in his last few years. Schaub(as long as he lasts) will be likely taking the checkdowns with MJD and he's a great target for a rookie like Carr.

I like MJD, but the problem is that week in and week out defenses are going to exploit the questionable QB situation and force Oakland to beat them through the air until they can put up some Ws playing that kind of game. I have a hard time believing the Raiders can do it.

That said, if you're in a ppr league, this probability (along with the inevitable McFadden injury) might actually make MJD the better pick. He's a good pass catcher on a team that will likely play from behind with a comparitively weaker WR corps (to Atlanta's), so he can give you some points no matter where Oakland is sitting on the scoreboard. Jackson's got hands too, but Atlanta doesnt need him to contribute in that facet of the game the same way Oakland will need their backs to. And yes, Atlanta is the more likely team to run down the clock sitting on a lead, but Id prefer MJD trying to take it to the house on every play in a game Oakland's trailing over Jackson grinding down the clock 2 yards at a time.

In a non-ppr Jackson would be the better conventional pick, but I just don't like the idea of going with a RB coming back from an injury on the wrong side of 30, particularly when he sits out the preseason. MJD is coming back too, but at least he played and looked good recently. You already know he's good to go. Personally I would go with him despite the (most likely temporary) time share and the probability of defenses stacking the box. He's the more likely back to return to form and will be involved in all facets of the game due to Oakland's shortage of talent.

SameSongNDance said:
Factoring in age, touches and recent injury history I don't think it's quite fair to paint SJax as that much more of an injury risk than MJD (he is but it's not like we're comparing SJax to some fresh faced rookie with a spotless injury history). Assuming that we cannot accurately predict which one of these players will go down first, I'd rather have the guy with less competition and in the higher powered offense. You have to imagine SJax has a higher TD ceiling this year. During a complete bust of a year last year he still managed to somehow score 7 TDs.

It's close and the answer could easily just be to avoid both but I don't think MJD is the no-brainer here.
Injury risk or loss of speed ability is the question or both. I say both with SJax, and think MJD is the better pick here.

PPR: (Recent ADPs: MJD 7.12/ Jackson 9.02).

I'd grab Jackson as RB3 or 4 even if same ADP . And hope he ''goes off'' that bye week/week you need him. He was RB13 the final 5 weeks of last season.

I don't see MJD have any difference making weeks I just think the floor and ceiling are both higher if healthy with Jackson :shrug:

How many carries will McFadden get? He can be had pretty late in most drafts.

The guy never really panned out other than 1 decent year, but there's got to be some upside there at the end of a redraft.

When is the last time two consensus 2nd round picks from the year prior fell down draft boards this far the subsequent year? I think it's a pretty interesting situation, SJax's specifically. I understand people have lost faith in SJax remaining healthy, but the situation is essentially the same (depending on how much of a thread you believe Freeman is). It's the same situation that had everyone all over his nuts, i.e the possibility of turning in Turner type performances plus some receptions on top.

Really, the same applies to MJD. It's not like he wasn't facing stacked boxes on JAC.

It's hard to imagine absolutely hating both these players at their current prices.

Just took MJD and SJAX back to back in the 7th/8th rounds of my FFPC last night..

Seems like good value to go along with Montee and Alfred Morris.. Hoping one of them is a solid weekly performer

When is the last time two consensus 2nd round picks from the year prior fell down draft boards this far the subsequent year? I think it's a pretty interesting situation, SJax's specifically. I understand people have lost faith in SJax remaining healthy, but the situation is essentially the same (depending on how much of a thread you believe Freeman is). It's the same situation that had everyone all over his nuts, i.e the possibility of turning in Turner type performances plus some receptions on top.

Really, the same applies to MJD. It's not like he wasn't facing stacked boxes on JAC.

It's hard to imagine absolutely hating both these players at their current prices.
S Jax situation is probably improved since last year. ATL bolsters their OL and their main redzone target, Gonzalez is gone.

S Jax situation is probably improved since last year. ATL bolsters their OL and their main redzone target, Gonzalez is gone.
they lost their starting right tackle

they lost their starting right tackle
Baker? I'm no ATL homer but it seemed like the general sentiment amongst them was that this wasn't some huge loss. Mathews is the their future anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

fantasy is a fickle sport

People draft Toby Gerhart and Rashad Jennings in the 4th round, these guys go 4 rounds later. I don't see a massive difference. If your going to take a slow boring RB might as well take the ones that last till you already have your teams first 6-7 players.

The one thing Oakland has been able to do the last handfull of years is run the ball. MJD was a first round pick on the JAGS with horrific QB's. He's 29 now so clearly not the same guy but he may still have some gas left in the tank.

Jackson I don't think has much left honestly. His appeal is entirely based on the situation. He can fall into the end zone 10 times in that offense, and grind out 3.5 YPC. It's going to be pretty ugly with him, but if he's on the field he's probably a viable option every week to plug your nose and put him at RB2.

I drafted both back to back last night and happy with them as rb3 and rb4. The price is too good not to take a shot. I'd much rather take a shot at them then a sankey, Moreno, miller.

I'd say SJax has a higher upside but more injury risk while MJD has a little better floor. Personally if I had to choose between the 2 I'd choose and have chosen SJax. You just need to make sure you draft a few other alternatives for if, when,he gets hurt.

I think MJD will post solid numbers each week but nothing spectacular. I like him as an occasional flex play, bye week, and injury replacement. I wouldn't want him as my starter.

IMO, MJD is better than SJax now, but his situation is so crowded. I don't know if this can be a cream rise to the top type situation for an older veteran. Jackson edge for FF for now.

I really wanted MJD to sign with a top team as depth. He is a very solid NFL player that totally deserves a "taste" of what NFL success is like.

Well these guys looked terrible.

MJD had a rough matchup but wow. Anyone see this game? I certainly didn't. Just no where to run or did he look bad?

Jackson certainly didn't look terrible with the 12 carries he got :shrug: He actually looked quite slimmed down from last year.

Probably just going to be TD dependent like Turner was. Fine for a inury/bye week fill in that offense.

Users who are viewing this thread