What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 49ers 2012 thread (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
THIS IS NOW THE OFFICIAL 2012 THREAD FOR THE REG SEASON

The 49ers are now officially in their offseason.

We had a fantastic 2011 season, or at least one that exceeded EVERYBODYS expectations going into this year. But the NFC championship was a tough loss. Tough loss.

So whats the next order of business? When do we start seeing moves, changes, etc?? Find out by opening this thread for all of your 49er 2012 needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on a fantastic season, Niners. As a Ravens fan, I was pulling hard for a HarBowl but it just missed happening.

What do you guys think you need to address in the off-season? I'd suspect an upgrade at WR would be one thing and maybe some help on the back end of the D.

Congrats on a fantastic season, Niners. As a Ravens fan, I was pulling hard for a HarBowl but it just missed happening.

What do you guys think you need to address in the off-season? I'd suspect an upgrade at WR would be one thing and maybe some help on the back end of the D.
Whatever you do, make sure you lock up Patrick Willis for the rest of his career. I was in awe watching him last night. 52 was all over the field.

Congrats to you 49er fans. You guys are on the brink of a nice long run in the NFC West. It's only going to get better.

This will definitely be an interesting offseason. Not sure what the thought process was for fans who are geographically closer to the team, but I figured a potential Super Bowl appearance was two years away. Management needs to be careful and not act like just because the team got so close, they need to go grab those last couple of pieces, possibly sacrificing part of the future. This team is young all over, with potential studs all over, and they just need some more time together.

As a Rutgers fan also, I'm loving the mocks that have them grabbing Mohamed Sanu at the end of the 1st. He's exactly the type of WR the Niners need. Excellent route runner, physical, great blocker, and incidentally has a hell of an arm if you want to get into some trickery. You'll hear people speculate the team needs more of a downfield threat, and while that may be true, I don't see it as being that important (maybe useful is the better word) in this offense, at least at a high draft pick/FA price. WR in the 1st, some defensive backfield help beyond that, and a couple interior pieces for the OL.

Need to resign their key guys (smith, Snyder, Morgan come to mind immediately). Itd be nice to bring Brooks but he is probably expendable if he gets too pricey. Ditto for Goldson, although he is an underrated goat from last night.

Priorities: another WR who can step in and contribute now, either in the draft or FA. They should look to upgrade at both safety spots if possible, although I understand that elite safeties are tough to find. A distant third is upgrading the right side of the line, although I think A Davis is improving quite a bit and Snyder was decent at RG after they finally benched Rachal, who probably shouldn't be in the league.

Hate to have to bring this up after he just put up such a fantastic season, but the team is going to need a long term plan for life after Justin Smith. Just such a key component to the D, but his play will tail off... eventually :(

Sign Rogers, Franchise Goldson, Let Morgan walk, keep Ginn if they can for cheap, Trade up for a wr in the draft, draft a guard, a pass rusher, and then another wr.... and just maybe try and sign djax.

2 years @ 8 Mil sounds fine. Maybe kind of a lowball offer to Smith, but it could be his true market value, maybe even too high. It's fair given his production overall, and the 49ers have a lot of FA's to sign. I think they need to make the QB position open to competition, and while it may not seem fair to Smith, the 49ers can't keep trying to fit the offense around him, this time holding it back instead of opening it up. Smith never had to compete for the position. Sure he had a Troy Smith or a Shaun Hill behind him, but they were never long term solutions.

The 49ers need to start thinking QBOTF soon. They could make a run and fall short again in the playoffs. The probablity of them dropping back a bit is there, and Smith has to show he can drive the ball downfield if his defense slips up from this past season going into next season.

BTW, Billick of all coaches should know Elite QB's don't grow on trees.

Niners have offered Alex Smith a 2 year deal at 8 million per season according to Cowherd.
Interesting thoughts on this earlier today from Brian Billick:http://t.co/wcpkRnKi
Billick is an idiot. He played fantasy football with Baltimore when he ditched Dilfer for Elvis Grbac and they predictably didn't repeat.Grbac was a disaster. Sure he had better numbers, but he didn't mesh with the team and they predictably collapsed in the playoffs. And now 10 years later he's using his own failure as the basis for advising the 49ers. Priceless.

Also Alex Smith is more accurate than Trent Dilfer was. Dilfer couldn't hit a deep ball to save his mother's life. Smith at least has a shot at it when he heaves the ball up.

Billick is an idiot. He played fantasy football with Baltimore when he ditched Dilfer for Elvis Grbac and they predictably didn't repeat.Grbac was a disaster. Sure he had better numbers, but he didn't mesh with the team and they predictably collapsed in the playoffs.
Please, there's no way the team would have repeated with Dilfer at QB. The guy has a career 58-55 record; he got extremely lucky to land temporarily in a situation where he had one of the greatest defenses ever assembled, so the fact that he sucks didn't make the team lose.Career postseason numbers for Dilfer: 43.7% completions, 4 TD, 4 INT, 66.0 QB rating. Putrid.

Sign Rogers, Franchise Goldson, Let Morgan walk, keep Ginn if they can for cheap, Trade up for a wr in the draft, draft a guard, a pass rusher, and then another wr.... and just maybe try and sign djax.
Why let Morgan walk? He will be cheap after his injury and I'm not sure he is much worse than Crabtree.

China--don't let Morgan walk at all. I disgree with "trading up for a WR"; who would you trade up for? You aren't going to get Blackmon. Its a very deep FA WR class, I think we can fill an immediate need there and Morgan can be a great WR2/3.

Drummer--agree with you, 2 yrs @ $8m is fine for Alex. I think we already have the QBOTF in Kaep. It was great he got to sit all year, big adjustment from the Rifle at Reno to Harbaugh's system.

..and :lol: CalBear

It's really a shame that the D played possibly the best playoff defense in history during that game and we still couldn't win thanks to KW but moreso the offense. I have a feeling that he won't say it, but KW tried to do too much on the 2nd fumble because he knew the offense wouldn't be able to do anything.

Anyway, I'm still torn on Smith. We will obviously be resigning him, but if someone like Peyton became available, I'd think we HAVE to go for him. I really hope kaep is developing since we really don't know, we can't take ANOTHER early round draft bust like Rachal, Balmer, Mays, Davis (vs. Earl Thomas), that's been the real killer for this team over the past few years.

It's really a shame that the D played possibly the best playoff defense in history during that game
Oh for heaven's sake. The Giants defense was 25th in points against this year, 27th in yardage against, 20th in net yards/attempt against, 23rd in rushing yards/attempt against. The only place where they performed well at all was in turnover generation.

It's really a shame that the D played possibly the best playoff defense in history during that game
Oh for heaven's sake. The Giants defense was 25th in points against this year, 27th in yardage against, 20th in net yards/attempt against, 23rd in rushing yards/attempt against. The only place where they performed well at all was in turnover generation.
He's referring to the 49er defense.

China--don't let Morgan walk at all. I disgree with "trading up for a WR"; who would you trade up for? You aren't going to get Blackmon. Its a very deep FA WR class, I think we can fill an immediate need there and Morgan can be a great WR2/3.Drummer--agree with you, 2 yrs @ $8m is fine for Alex. I think we already have the QBOTF in Kaep. It was great he got to sit all year, big adjustment from the Rifle at Reno to Harbaugh's system...and :lol: CalBear
Agreed, on all accounts.For some reason I really think a guy like Meachem would be a good pickup for us. Big target with some decent wheels. Has a knack for finding the endzone with limited targets. Can catch the deep ball well.He would compliment VD very well, especially with Morgan on the other side.

China--don't let Morgan walk at all. I disgree with "trading up for a WR"; who would you trade up for? You aren't going to get Blackmon. Its a very deep FA WR class, I think we can fill an immediate need there and Morgan can be a great WR2/3.Drummer--agree with you, 2 yrs @ $8m is fine for Alex. I think we already have the QBOTF in Kaep. It was great he got to sit all year, big adjustment from the Rifle at Reno to Harbaugh's system...and :lol: CalBear
Agreed, on all accounts.For some reason I really think a guy like Meachem would be a good pickup for us. Big target with some decent wheels. Has a knack for finding the endzone with limited targets. Can catch the deep ball well.He would compliment VD very well, especially with Morgan on the other side.
I like your idea--Meachem would also stretch the field, which none of our current WRs (do we count Ginn as a real WR? I'd sure prefer not to) can do.

That's just as absurd; the Niners gave up 472 yards to New Orleans and 352 to the Giants. 26 first downs to New Orleans, 20 to the GIants. Compare that with the real dominant playoff defenses and it's not close. For example, the 2002 Bucs held the Niners to 228 yards, 14 first downs, and forced 5 turnovers, and held the Raiders to 269 yards, 11 first downs, and forced 5 turnovers again. And they're not even in the top 2 playoff defenses of all time.

That's just as absurd; the Niners gave up 472 yards to New Orleans and 352 to the Giants. 26 first downs to New Orleans, 20 to the GIants. Compare that with the real dominant playoff defenses and it's not close. For example, the 2002 Bucs held the Niners to 228 yards, 14 first downs, and forced 5 turnovers, and held the Raiders to 269 yards, 11 first downs, and forced 5 turnovers again. And they're not even in the top 2 playoff defenses of all time.
I think he means in franchise playoff history.I think?

Either way, it's excusable hyperbole in a thread for 49ers fans.

Either way, it's excusable hyperbole in a thread for 49ers fans.
No. Please don't open the door for that. 49er message boards are bad enough. I'd hate for that to be represented here.Because I will jump on those posts too.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/01/28/aldon-smith-arrested-for-dui-in-miami/

Niners rookie linebacker Aldon Smith has been arrested and booked into jail in Miami Beach on DUI charges, according to KTVU in Miami.

Smith was booked into jail at 9:32 a.m. EST this morning. The bond was listed at $1,000.

At about 1 a.m. EST, Smith sent a message, via Twitter, that read: “Does anybody sleep #Miami #oceanave #letsgo”

Smith’s arrest comes days after he capped a debut season that included 14 regular-season sacks, the second-most by a rookie in NFL history. The No. 7 overall pick in the draft, Smith added two sacks in San Francisco’s two postseason games. He was a two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Month and is a candidate to be named the league’s Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Smith is subject to a possible fine or suspension for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

Nobody mentioned Harbaugh winning Coach of the Year?? WTH...

Congrats, coach!!!

A Smith lost out to Von Miller for DROY, Justin Smith, Willis, and Bowman all got Defensive player of the year votes, with Justin coming in 3rd in the voting behind Suggs and J Allen. Alex Smith came in 3rd for Comeback player behind Stafford and D'Qwell Jackson (LB, CLE).

Heres the voting breakdown:

COACH OF THE YEAR

Jim Harbaugh, 49ers, 45

Mike McCarthy, Green Bay, 3

John Fox, Denver, 2

DEFENSIVE PLAYER

Terrell Suggs, LB, Baltimore, 21

Jared Allen, DE, Minnesota, 14

Justin Smith, DE-DT, 49ers, 6

Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, N.Y. Giants, 5

Patrick Willis, LB, 49ers, 2

NaVorro Bowman, LB, 49ers, 1

Charles Woodson, CB, Green Bay, 1

COMEBACK PLAYER

Matthew Stafford, QB, Detroit, 21

D'Qwell Jackson, LB, Cleveland, 15

Alex Smith, QB, 49ers, 7

Steve Smith, WR, Carolina, 3

Elvis Dumervil, DE, Denver, 2

Andre Carter, DE, New England, 1

Eli Manning, QB, N.Y. Giants, 1

OFFENSIVE ROOKIE

Cam Newton, QB, Carolina, 47

Andy Dalton, QB, Cincinnati, 3

DEFENSIVE ROOKIE

Von Miller, LB, Denver, 39

Aldon Smith, DE-LB, 49ers, 11

A Smith lost out to Von Miller for DROY
:thumbdown: Didn't Von Miller miss some time due to injury? Aldon's feat was way more impressive... all those sacks while only playing on "passing downs".

Sorry I don't believe in the whole "sign this guy to be a wr2" mentality. I think you go for wr1 gamebreaker potential every time and let your wr2 be the losing wr in that training camp battle. Morgan has already proven he's not wr1 material and is also coming off a severe injury, not going to be worth the $ despite being a "good guy".BTW I never mentioned anything about drafting blackmon, that's a pipe dream. I think you look for big physical guys with good separation ability and ball skills a la dez bryant or hakeem nicks, both of who went in the late 1st round i believe (michael floyd anyone?). The niners are hurting bad for wrs, so it makes sense to go both wr in draft and FA. I wouldn't mind if they went guard early as well, but the Kilgore kid shows promise.

SI's offseason preview was pretty questionable. Listed Brooks as a guy the team could live without - sorry, but olbs who can get you 5-10 sacks, hold up well against the run, and play 3 downs don't grow on trees.

Not sure how I feel about Snyder. He is probably a below average RG but he was so much better than Rachal it seemed like he was a lifesaver. If they lose him, they better be sure that one of last year's rookies will be ready to go, or that there is a decent veteran option available.

SI's offseason preview was pretty questionable. Listed Brooks as a guy the team could live without - sorry, but olbs who can get you 5-10 sacks, hold up well against the run, and play 3 downs don't grow on trees. Not sure how I feel about Snyder. He is probably a below average RG but he was so much better than Rachal it seemed like he was a lifesaver. If they lose him, they better be sure that one of last year's rookies will be ready to go, or that there is a decent veteran option available.
Ben Grubbs and Carl Nicks are expected to become available. :wub:

Baalke has been extended through 2016.

It's undoubtedly coachspeak to boost his ego but Harbaugh says he envisions Kyle Williams as the #1 wr in a year or so.

Obama is tampering. Says he'd love to see Vernon in a Bears uniform. Pretty sure he just lost my vote.

SF has allowed Shantae Spencer to seek a trade. Can't imagine a trade will get worked out for our #4 cb. He's probably getting cut (assuming his cap space would come off the books). He's going to be an upgrade for some teams.

Goldson says he'll be shocked if he doesn't return. If we also keep Brooks, Rodgers, Alex Smith, and Morgan (assuming none get too pricey) I think every Niner fan would be stoked. Ginn would also be a welcome return but I'm okay if they lose him.

Baalke has been extended through 2016.It's undoubtedly coachspeak to boost his ego but Harbaugh says he envisions Kyle Williams as the #1 wr in a year or so_Obama is tampering. Says he'd love to see Vernon in a Bears uniform. Pretty sure he just lost my vote.SF has allowed Shantae Spencer to seek a trade. Can't imagine a trade will get worked out for our #4 cb. He's probably getting cut (assuming his cap space would come off the books). He's going to be an upgrade for some teams.Goldson says he'll be shocked if he doesn't return. If we also keep Brooks, Rodgers, Alex Smith, and Morgan (assuming none get too pricey) I think every Niner fan would be stoked. Ginn would also be a welcome return but I'm okay if they lose him.
Was just reading that the 49ers had somewhere around 39 mil available ( rolling over unspent 2011 $$$) to spend this season. I really hope they do lock up all the free agents that played well last season. If they are in a spending mood, they have the $$$ to go grab one of the top WRs available. Be interesting to see if Baalke follows last years blueprint or goes out & gets a few high dollar free agents.

'goldenchild said:
'drummer said:
:thumbdown: Didn't Von Miller miss some time due to injury? Aldon's feat was way more impressive... all those sacks while only playing on "passing downs".
Take away Justin Smith and get back to your myopia.
huh?
Without Justin Smith, Aldon wouldn't have as much an impact on 3rd down passing situations. That's why Aldon was effective on "situational downs". Von Miller also had more tackles than Aldon. Take away the overall performance of the d-line and Justin Smith, then you have Patrick Willis' name called every play. With Aldon having less sacks.

'Dr. Awesome said:
Baalke has been extended through 2016.It's undoubtedly coachspeak to boost his ego but Harbaugh says he envisions Kyle Williams as the #1 wr in a year or so_Obama is tampering. Says he'd love to see Vernon in a Bears uniform. Pretty sure he just lost my vote.SF has allowed Shantae Spencer to seek a trade. Can't imagine a trade will get worked out for our #4 cb. He's probably getting cut (assuming his cap space would come off the books). He's going to be an upgrade for some teams.Goldson says he'll be shocked if he doesn't return. If we also keep Brooks, Rodgers, Alex Smith, and Morgan (assuming none get too pricey) I think every Niner fan would be stoked. Ginn would also be a welcome return but I'm okay if they lose him.
Sign all 4 of them to two year deals. They still need a Real QB and #1 WR. Brooks can be expendable, but I'd keep him for depth. Rodgers can be this regime's version of Walt Harris, so CB depth is important. None are worth a large contract.

'goldenchild said:
'drummer said:
huh?
Without Justin Smith, Aldon wouldn't have as much an impact on 3rd down passing situations. That's why Aldon was effective on "situational downs". Von Miller also had more tackles than Aldon. Take away the overall performance of the d-line and Justin Smith, then you have Patrick Willis' name called every play. With Aldon having less sacks.
I had a feeling this was what you were getting at, just wanted to be clear...I'm not a big fan of "well if you take away this, then that" arguments. Are you saying that any rookie could have replicated Aldon's performance b/c of Justin Smith? :no:Don't get me wrong... Von Miller is a beast, and of course I'm being biased, but I still think what Aldon did was more impressive.

SF has a lot of cash to spend. Doesn't mean they HAVE to spend it but here are some of the bigger fa's available.

Any favorites from that list? VJax would be an upgrade. Go cheap and bring in Meachem? Steve Johnson? Laurent Robinson? Trade the draft pick for Mike Wallace? Carl Nicks to beef up the o-line? Mario replacing Brooks would be a move straight out of Madden! Finnegan instead of keeping Rodgers? Dump Smith to grab Flynn?

SF has a lot of cash to spend. Doesn't mean they HAVE to spend it but here are some of the bigger fa's available.

Any favorites from that list? VJax would be an upgrade. Go cheap and bring in Meachem? Steve Johnson? Laurent Robinson? Trade the draft pick for Mike Wallace? Carl Nicks to beef up the o-line? Mario replacing Brooks would be a move straight out of Madden! Finnegan instead of keeping Rodgers? Dump Smith to grab Flynn?
If VJax can't perform consistently with Rivers, then he won't do anything with Smith. Although I'm not so sure I would want Rivers either.I still think we should go for Meachem.

I'm not a fan of Desean, but he would definitely be a guy that could stretch the field. Meachem would be cheaper, obviously.

Some of your suggestions are straight out of Madden ;)

'goldenchild said:
'drummer said:
huh?
I had a feeling this was what you were getting at, just wanted to be clear...I'm not a big fan of "well if you take away this, then that" arguments. Are you saying that any rookie could have replicated Aldon's performance b/c of Justin Smith? :no:Don't get me wrong... Von Miller is a beast, and of course I'm being biased, but I still think what Aldon did was more impressive.
Andre Carter had 12.5 sacks in his second year, doubling his rookie season. Guess who was on the D-Line then? You're dismissing Miller for being benched for a half, and thinking a situational player who is a rookie with one of the Top 2 defensive front sevens in the League (which a lot of Aldon's sacks were compiled of favorable 3rd down and other passing situations against a lot of scrub QBs to add) is more impressive because of a sack total, whereas Miller as a rook had one of the most important stats well over Aldon: tackles, and against the run at that. Miller had to fill and learn be a motor. Aldon was the extra gear of Justin Smith's and the other Vet's engine. Nice to have that extra gear when you need it, against the NFCW too. You already played take away by dismissing a starter over a situational player. While being Webzone about the 49er defense. I'm still trying to keep Wingnut from linking that crap board here. Can you help a Brutha out? TIA.ETA: A lot of Aldon's sacks were in the hybrid 4 man front, with he standing up. On 3rd down. With Willis and Bowman as well as Justin, RayMac, and Soap.

Billick is an idiot. He played fantasy football with Baltimore when he ditched Dilfer for Elvis Grbac and they predictably didn't repeat.Grbac was a disaster. Sure he had better numbers, but he didn't mesh with the team and they predictably collapsed in the playoffs.
Please, there's no way the team would have repeated with Dilfer at QB. The guy has a career 58-55 record; he got extremely lucky to land temporarily in a situation where he had one of the greatest defenses ever assembled, so the fact that he sucks didn't make the team lose.Career postseason numbers for Dilfer: 43.7% completions, 4 TD, 4 INT, 66.0 QB rating. Putrid.
Billick actually calls it one of his biggest mistakes (in life, not just football) ever. He said he should have kept Dilfer on the team. The effect it had on the other players was far bigger then he ever expected.

huh?
I had a feeling this was what you were getting at, just wanted to be clear...I'm not a big fan of "well if you take away this, then that" arguments. Are you saying that any rookie could have replicated Aldon's performance b/c of Justin Smith? :no:

Don't get me wrong... Von Miller is a beast, and of course I'm being biased, but I still think what Aldon did was more impressive.
Andre Carter had 12.5 sacks in his second year, doubling his rookie season. Guess who was on the D-Line then? You're dismissing Miller for being benched for a half, and thinking a situational player who is a rookie with one of the Top 2 defensive front sevens in the League (which a lot of Aldon's sacks were compiled of favorable 3rd down and other passing situations against a lot of scrub QBs to add) is more impressive because of a sack total, whereas Miller as a rook had one of the most important stats well over Aldon: tackles, and against the run at that. Miller had to fill and learn be a motor. Aldon was the extra gear of Justin Smith's and the other Vet's engine. Nice to have that extra gear when you need it, against the NFCW too.

You already played take away by dismissing a starter over a situational player. While being Webzone about the 49er defense. I'm still trying to keep Wingnut from linking that crap board here. Can you help a Brutha out? TIA.

ETA: A lot of Aldon's sacks were in the hybrid 4 man front, with he standing up. On 3rd down. With Willis and Bowman as well as Justin, RayMac, and Soap.
You must have missed the bolded part. ;)

huh?
I had a feeling this was what you were getting at, just wanted to be clear...I'm not a big fan of "well if you take away this, then that" arguments. Are you saying that any rookie could have replicated Aldon's performance b/c of Justin Smith? :no:

Don't get me wrong... Von Miller is a beast, and of course I'm being biased, but I still think what Aldon did was more impressive.
Andre Carter had 12.5 sacks in his second year, doubling his rookie season. Guess who was on the D-Line then? You're dismissing Miller for being benched for a half, and thinking a situational player who is a rookie with one of the Top 2 defensive front sevens in the League (which a lot of Aldon's sacks were compiled of favorable 3rd down and other passing situations against a lot of scrub QBs to add) is more impressive because of a sack total, whereas Miller as a rook had one of the most important stats well over Aldon: tackles, and against the run at that. Miller had to fill and learn be a motor. Aldon was the extra gear of Justin Smith's and the other Vet's engine. Nice to have that extra gear when you need it, against the NFCW too.

You already played take away by dismissing a starter over a situational player. While being Webzone about the 49er defense. I'm still trying to keep Wingnut from linking that crap board here. Can you help a Brutha out? TIA.

ETA: A lot of Aldon's sacks were in the hybrid 4 man front, with he standing up. On 3rd down. With Willis and Bowman as well as Justin, RayMac, and Soap.
You must have missed the bolded part. ;)
I'm just having fun with your post. :P

huh?

Your argument that playing in the NFC West & against scrub QB's helped Smith, couldn't be more off. He averaged more sacks against pro bowl type QB's than against scrubs. He also averaged more sacks against the rest of his schedule than against the NFC West. Carry on with your anti-49er bias.

Users who are viewing this thread