What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desmond Bishop (1 Viewer)

J Giles Band

Footballguy
Calling the good doctor...

Bishop has started Packers camp on the NFI (non-football injury list) due to a calf injury sustained during his pre-camp workouts. Bishop says he expects to be cleared by the beginning of the regular season.

Way too early to panic, but if you combine the fact it doesn't sound like he's gonna be cleared soon (didn't mention him making it back prior to the end of camp), with a similar calf injury costing him multiple weeks last season... is this something we need be concerned with as a nagging/recurring injury moving forward?

Bishop is a stud... but availability is a big part of this game, and can't see him remaining atop the elite tier of LB's for long if he can't stay healthy.

Calling the good doctor...Bishop has started Packers camp on the NFI (non-football injury list) due to a calf injury sustained during his pre-camp workouts. Bishop says he expects to be cleared by the beginning of the regular season.Way too early to panic, but if you combine the fact it doesn't sound like he's gonna be cleared soon (didn't mention him making it back prior to the end of camp), with a similar calf injury costing him multiple weeks last season... is this something we need be concerned with as a nagging/recurring injury moving forward?Bishop is a stud... but availability is a big part of this game, and can't see him remaining atop the elite tier of LB's for long if he can't stay healthy.
No worries everyone, I will be fine and ready to kickarse this season.

Benchwarmers said:
GB wants to be more physical was what I heard. They didn't trade him so he is safe for now.
Bishop is one of the more physical players they have. Rumors are just that. My guess is a team called and asked about his availability. TT took the call to see what they were offering. An "insider" leaked it to the press and someone ran with it that they were shopping Bishop. All the local Packer beat writers checked there sources and said there is nothing to it.

Packers, Bishop set to part ways

http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=25671&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Desmond Bishop’s time with the Green Bay Packers is apparently over.

According to an NFL source, barring an unlikely contract restructure or trade, the Packers will be parting ways with Bishop, who missed all of last season with a ruptured hamstring tendon suffered in the Aug. 9 preseason opener at San Diego.

Bishop did not participate in any of the team’s organized team activity practices, including Tuesday’s final open practice, or the mandatory minicamp last week. The Packers have three OTA practices remaining but they are all closed to the public and media.

Bishop did not respond to a Twitter direct message and his agent, Blake Baratz, did not respond to an iMessage.

Wow :o

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't believe the news about Bishop around the draft, but this here seems pretty definitive. If true, what options would he have on the market, and how high do we bump Jones? Will Jones be 3 down all year?

What the heck is wrong with Bishop?? As good as he was, depth at LB or not, you'd think the Pack wouldn't let a guy go that had his skill set. Maybe he was overrated, or the Pack think he is damaged goods??

What the heck is wrong with Bishop?? As good as he was, depth at LB or not, you'd think the Pack wouldn't let a guy go that had his skill set. Maybe he was overrated, or the Pack think he is damaged goods??
Both DJ Smith and Brad Jones put up good numbers in that spot IIRC. So could be a simple case of economics. Remember the WLB in Indy under Dungy - seemingly every year they'd dump a vet who put up great numbers and get someone cheaper to do almost as well - all the way up to Freddie Keiaho - and with the exception of Witherspoon and Mike Peterson (IIRC) I can't remember anyone else making big fantasy numbers after leaving.

Maybe that is what we are seeing here.

Ok, so if Bradshaw's "best case" was Indy (where he ended up), what's Bishop's "best case" in today's market?

So....

You have a player in Bishop you've developed who anchored your front seven in 2010 and 2011 that you give a decent, but not prohibitive, contract extension. Then Bishop has a major hamstring injury in 2012. You cut DJ Smith, a player who filled in very well when needed. He's immediately grabbed off waivers. You don't re-sign Bishop's primary replacement, Brad Jones, for multiple weeks, then give him a big contact in late March. This is a free agent market where Dannell Ellerbe and others are (arguably) getting overpaid in the early days. You don't actively pursue another ILB in the draft.

Then, you leak rumors that you tried to deal Bishop around the draft, only to deny them. That set off big alarm bells, which we talked about on the podcast last month. Now news breaks weeks later that you're restructuring or releasing Bishop.

Smell fishy?

I'm going to be very interested to see how strongly Bishop is pursued -- his 2010/2011 was better than Jones' 2012. His contract isn't bad.

I'd speculate that his hamstring is bad and the Packers don't see him ever returning to form.

So....

You have a player in Bishop you've developed who anchored your front seven in 2010 and 2011 that you give a decent, but not prohibitive, contract extension. Then Bishop has a major hamstring injury in 2012. You cut DJ Smith, a player who filled in very well when needed. He's immediately grabbed off waivers. You don't re-sign Bishop's primary replacement, Brad Jones, for multiple weeks, then give him a big contact in late March. This is a free agent market where Dannell Ellerbe and others are (arguably) getting overpaid in the early days. You don't actively pursue another ILB in the draft.

Then, you leak rumors that you tried to deal Bishop around the draft, only to deny them. That set off big alarm bells, which we talked about on the podcast last month. Now news breaks weeks later that you're restructuring or releasing Bishop.

Smell fishy?

I'm going to be very interested to see how strongly Bishop is pursued -- his 2010/2011 was better than Jones' 2012. His contract isn't bad.

I'd speculate that his hamstring is bad and the Packers don't see him ever returning to form.
was about to ask about the hammy, is he practicing or doing any work at these OTAs and Minis

This is precisely what I think is going on; His leg probably isn't responding that well and the Pack see the writing on the wall.

Brad Jones single-handedly gave Kaepernick ~100 of his 179 "untouched" rushing yards in the Divisional play-offs. I'd put in a flier waiver pick-up for Terrell Manning as he at least has the instincts to tackle the guy with the ball. If Bishop's hammy isn't right I think TT made a major miscalculation in letting Smith walk. GMs are like hedge fund mangers, hot streaks are normally followed by cold streaks (AJ Smith, Bobby Beathard, Bill Belicheck, Ron Wolf). I think I saw a Reversion to the Mean topic on this board somewhere? Maybe I'll start a "Reasons Why Belicheck is Overrated" topic? Maybe I forgot what this thread is about? Oh yeah, Brad Smith is a nickel LB only.

I live 30 minutes from green bay. Local media doesn't' understand what is going on with bishop. It would seem the packers know something the rest of us don't.

Both DJ Smith and Brad Jones put up good numbers in that spot IIRC. So could be a simple case of economics. Remember the WLB in Indy under Dungy - seemingly every year they'd dump a vet who put up great numbers and get someone cheaper to do almost as well - all the way up to Freddie Keiaho - and with the exception of Witherspoon and Mike Peterson (IIRC) I can't remember anyone else making big fantasy numbers after leaving.

Maybe that is what we are seeing here.
i think that was peterson and david thornton, but you were exactly right in how IND treated LB as fungible commodity in dungy era... not sure if it was post-dungy, but gary brackett was first IND LB to get extension in long time.

whether this describes bishop scenario, not sure, but interesting point...

maybe jene has it right with medical speculation.

How far up is Brad Jones pushed up with this news? Don't see him appearing in rankings yet.
I'd sell him, if Bishop goes a vet is going to be brought in.
I doubt that
Look at the link in my post above, #9. They LOVE Jones. They think he is great in coverage. He is also the highest paid LB on the team, with Bishop, Hawk and Jones all having contracts around $4 million/year (well Bishop's cap hit is $4 million). It is telling that Hawk took a pay cut, Bishop is going to be cut, and the guy with the good coverage skills signed a $4 million or so contract this offseason. Plus, the Packers aren't alone here. PFF graded Jones out positively. I'd say buy buy buy. Jones would have been LB #7 overall in my leagues if the 8 games he started are extrapolated to 16.

I will admit that something is very fishy with Bishop, though, b/c many of us Packer fans love Bishop and hate Hawk...so if the salary is the same, why not cut Hawk. I agree the the good Dr. that maybe there is a problem with his hamstring, or attitude/team chemistry. And I believe (didn't research this, maybe later) that Hawk's cap hit would be $4 million (and his 2013 contract is fully guaranteed), but Bishop's cap hit is much less (and his contract is not guaranteed).

How far up is Brad Jones pushed up with this news? Don't see him appearing in rankings yet.
I'd sell him, if Bishop goes a vet is going to be brought in.
I doubt that
Hope someone else beats San Fran in the playoffs then before the Pack gets them, Jones was the primary reason they lost that game. Kaepernick ran circles around him, totally lost.
Maybe but I don't see Ted Thompson signing a veteran LB, not his philosophy

Ted Thompson's philosophy is not to over pay for anyone. His philosophy is not to play bad players because they're cheap. He finds good players that are cheap...err, cost effective. Since the scrap heap of kids is picked dry, he's probably only going to be reviewing veterans at a discount. Maybe Nick Barnett is on his way home? Nothing behind that comment, just thinking out loud...

He's been released. What's the outcome for the Packers (any guys stepping up into the top 20 LB conversation), and anyone hearing about teams interested in Bishop?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22453398/packers-release-desmond-bishop-vikings-reportedly-interested

The Packers have released linebacker Desmond Bishop after the two sides reportedlycouldn't agree on a restructured deal. As a result, the 28-year-old is now a free agent, although it doesn't look like he'll be unemployed for long.

According to PackerReport.com, the Vikings will make a "strong run" at Bishop, who would likely supplant Erin Henderson in the starting lineup. He's expected to visit the team on Tuesday.

Bishop missed the 2012 season after rupturing his right hamstring, but tells the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he's now "completely healthy," and is "definitely going to be ready for training camp Day 1."

Bishop conceded that his release was "the smart thing to do" from the Packers' standpoint.

“It was just the timing of [the injury] and the emergence of Brad [Jones],” he said. “From a business standpoint, how could you get rid of a healthy player like Brad or AJ [Hawk] and you're putting your faith in a player who is coming off of an injury? So you can understand. It's understandable. That's just how it goes."

In 2011, Bishop was one of the Packers' best defenders, racking up 115 tackles, five sacks, and two forced fumbles in 15 starts.

And if things work out, he could be in Minnesota sporting their new (old) unis next season.

He'll visit the Twin Cities first and then head down to KC and possibly Jacksonville. The Vikings would be idiots to let him get on a plane south without first offering him the kitchen sink. Immediate and palpable upgrade at MLB.

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/desmond-bishops-succesful-return-far-from-a-medical-certainty

The June 2013 study from the American Journal of Orthopedics looked at 10 confirmed cases of ruptured hamstrings in the NFL from 1990 to 2008.

While nine of the 10 players in the study returned to play the next season, only five of the 10 played more than one game following the injury.

In addition, two of the 10 players returned and had major injuries occur to the same leg. One suffered a torn Achilles tendon and another re-ruptured the same hamstring (the player was a linebacker). On this note, it is worth noting that Bishop has already been dealing with a strain in the same hamstring he injured in August.

In its conclusion, the study found hamstring ruptures to be more rare and severe than typical hamstring injuries, such as a strain of the muscle fibers. It also concluded that the low long-term success percentage was indicative of the injury being a “marker for elite-level physical deterioration.”

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/desmond-bishops-succesful-return-far-from-a-medical-certainty

The June 2013 study from the American Journal of Orthopedics looked at 10 confirmed cases of ruptured hamstrings in the NFL from 1990 to 2008.

While nine of the 10 players in the study returned to play the next season, only five of the 10 played more than one game following the injury.

In addition, two of the 10 players returned and had major injuries occur to the same leg. One suffered a torn Achilles tendon and another re-ruptured the same hamstring (the player was a linebacker). On this note, it is worth noting that Bishop has already been dealing with a strain in the same hamstring he injured in August.

In its conclusion, the study found hamstring ruptures to be more rare and severe than typical hamstring injuries, such as a strain of the muscle fibers. It also concluded that the low long-term success percentage was indicative of the injury being a marker for elite-level physical deterioration.
The odds seem to be against Des returning to form. It's a shame that this type of injury has to put pressure on the career of one of the funnest ILB to watch.

In its conclusion, the study found hamstring ruptures to be more rare and severe than typical hamstring injuries, such as a strain of the muscle fibers. It also concluded that the low long-term success percentage was indicative of the injury being a “marker for elite-level physical deterioration.”
Well, this is a very helpful, and depressing, post. Thanks for posting it. :topcat:

Vikings agreed to terms with MLB Desmond Bishop on a one-year, $1.5 million contract.
Assuming Bishop's hamstring holds up -- a rupture cost him all of 2012 -- the move stabilizes and completes a suddenly impressive Vikings linebacker corps. Rather than trot out journeyman special teamer Marvin Mitchell on the weak side, Minnesota will move Erin Henderson back to Will with Bishop playing Mike and Chad Greenway holding down Sam. The Vikings' front seven will continue to be stout after ranking 11th versus the run in 2012. Bishop and Greenway will be the every-down linebackers, worth targeting as LB2/3s in IDP leagues.

i take it their just assuming he'll be a 3 downer until we see some camp action

Bishop's no worldbeater in coverage, but he graded out better per PFF in that regard in 2011 than Henderson did last year. FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread