What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Forum AQA (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
I don't get Reddit, really. The last time I went there, the system told me I had to wait eight minutes between posts. All I wanted to do was thank three people who recognized my work. But I'm stealing the AQA -- All Questions Answered -- thing anyway.

Many of you aren't into Twitter and I understand not everyone is able to join Footballguys as an Insider. Those two outlets have taken much of my time over the past year and I haven't been as present around the Forum as I'd like. I still think of this as home, though.

So, let's keep this little Q&A between us. I won't poach it for the column and I won't tweet it out.

WHAT'S VEXING YOU?

As always, I'd like to avoid team specific advice questions. Make any strategy questions you have applicable for everyone. I'll try to keep up as best I can through the weekend before the inseason schedule takes over again.

What should we expect from Sio Moore? Looks like he won the 3 down job.

Is Kirksey all that he is hyped up to be?

Brandon Spikes, Kevin Minter, Mason Foster, Wesley Woodyard, and Jamie Collins are on my mind the most. My questions may have been answered on the IDP podcast but won't be able to listen to until later.

Last edited by a moderator:
What should we expect from Sio Moore? Looks like he won the 3 down job.

Is Kirksey all that he is hyped up to be?
I have Moore in my High Upside LB3 tier. His upside is dependent on a lot of things, though. He'll have to be in the right place against the run (or the Raiders will go to Miles Burris), have to stay healthy and will have to stick in subpackages when the Raiders decide Mack is ready to play there. You would think the Raiders would use Mack on the line in the nickel, but he wouldn't need any developmental time there. So, it feels like Roach or Moore could sit when it comes to that. The first issue is most important, however. The Raiders love Moore's athleticism but don't fully trust him to do his job consistently yet.

I'm anxious to see if Kirksey can handle an NFL ILB job. I didn't think he stood out in college. And, despite the positive reports in camp, it's notable to me that he didn't beat Craig Robertson out in camp. I think that switch is coming, but there's no guarantee it leads to fantasy value. He's still a LB3 -- even as a starter and full time player -- until he shows more on the field.

Any clarity on 3 down LB roles in Buff. beyond Spikes, is searcy SS?
I believe Searcy is the starting SS. He's had the bulk of the snaps with the first team throughout camp and the beat writers think he'll start.

Looks like Spikes and Bradham for now in the nickel. Rivers may get a handful of subpackage snaps, but I don't think it'll be many. The key will be whether Buffalo uses many Big Nickel snaps with Searcy. It's not clear who he might replace if that happens.

Where is that out of nowhere tacking machine safety coming from this year? It feels like this year, it's a bit harder to identify potential weekly starters who may not even be drafted - the guy who starts out as DB depth but has DB1 upside.There's no one who is really jumping out to me as being in a great situation. I've been looking at the following guys at various points in the offseason but have cooled on most or can't get that excited about others:

Duron Harmon

Shamarko Thomas

JJ Wilcox

Earl Wolff

Marcus Gilchrist

Duke Williams

Brock Vereen

Shawne Williams

Baccari Rambo

Micah Hyde

Which safety will be the better 2-4 year dynasty asset between TJ Ward and Kenny Vacarro?
Vaccaro is a better all-around talent and will fit in any scheme in any role. Worst case, he's a higher variance play like Earl Thomas or Jairus Byrd. I like Ward, but he needs to be around the box on all downs to have elite upside. Vaccaro has youth on his side, too.

I don't think of any safety as a 2-4 year dynasty asset, but Vaccaro would be on the short list of those I'd consider.

RushHour said:
Where is that out of nowhere tacking machine safety coming from this year? It feels like this year, it's a bit harder to identify potential weekly starters who may not even be drafted - the guy who starts out as DB depth but has DB1 upside.There's no one who is really jumping out to me as being in a great situation. I've been looking at the following guys at various points in the offseason but have cooled on most or can't get that excited about others:

Duron Harmon

Shamarko Thomas

JJ Wilcox

Earl Wolff

Marcus Gilchrist

Duke Williams

Brock Vereen

Shawne Williams

Baccari Rambo

Micah Hyde
Gilchrist might be that player based on opportunity. I'm still watching Vereen closely. I think the big influx of talent at the safety position over the past two years has everyone talking about the position. I think Stevie Brown and DJ Swearinger and Donte Whitner are all undervalued. They may not be "out of nowhere" but they fit the Branch-Bell-Chancellor, etc criteria of players you might be able to draft after 15-20 others come off the board. That's the sweet spot for me anyway.

In deeper dynasty leagues, you're generally streaming the matchup guys until you find a trend you like anyway. I'd start with Gilchrist from this group this year and adjust from there.

Who would win in a fight: Chupaconda vs. Squirrelasaurus Rex?

Oh, and what are you deep down, dirty, "Nazis-have-my-mom" feelings on Shazier? I know what your projections are, but how confident do you reeeally feel about him? He's looked out of position a LOT this pre-season, but damned if he doesn't find a way to get in on the tackles anyway. Could he be in line for a Barret Ruud-ian season? Heavy tackles, many of which are 5 yards downfield? I think for dynasty he's got a legit shot to be excellent(especially for FF), but for 2014 I can see where he may have some growing pains. That aside, you think he's a legit LB2 when all is said and done just because he's able to get to so much of the field with that speed/will be dropped into coverage(and likely targeted) a lot?

Same question, sort of, for Joplu. I've heard you mention that Worrilow is in your "near elite" tier because he doesn't have that much legit competition for tackles. Since I'm not the biggest proponent of Worrilow, I sort of feel the same thing can be said for Bartu. Anyway he winds up significantly outproducing his projections without an injury to someone else?

I'll hand up and listen #freeHour2ofTheAudible!

Hi Jene,

Your thoughts on better dynasty potential between Dominique Easley and Quanterus Smith? 14-team league with 2 DL starters where most teams carry 1 backup as well. DL get 2 points per tackle in this league. I know it's a DT vs DE comparison but if Easley is as athletic as what I've read then it seems Belichik could use him at DE as well? Smith rising fast, does he contribute this year?

Just discovered the podcast and have really enjoyed the IDP coverage you and John Norton provide. It has helped me immensely in not only fantasy circles, but, in understanding defense and schemes in general. Thank you!

You seemed unsure of Morgan Burnett's role in the offseason. As a result, you rank him as a DB2 (#21) while the other rankers all have him in their top 10.

Has training camp and the preseason brought any clarity in regard to Burnett's role?

Thanks Jene

Who would win in a fight: Chupaconda vs. Squirrelasaurus Rex?

Oh, and what are you deep down, dirty, "Nazis-have-my-mom" feelings on Shazier? I know what your projections are, but how confident do you reeeally feel about him? He's looked out of position a LOT this pre-season, but damned if he doesn't find a way to get in on the tackles anyway. Could he be in line for a Barret Ruud-ian season? Heavy tackles, many of which are 5 yards downfield? I think for dynasty he's got a legit shot to be excellent(especially for FF), but for 2014 I can see where he may have some growing pains. That aside, you think he's a legit LB2 when all is said and done just because he's able to get to so much of the field with that speed/will be dropped into coverage(and likely targeted) a lot?

Same question, sort of, for Joplu. I've heard you mention that Worrilow is in your "near elite" tier because he doesn't have that much legit competition for tackles. Since I'm not the biggest proponent of Worrilow, I sort of feel the same thing can be said for Bartu. Anyway he winds up significantly outproducing his projections without an injury to someone else?

I'll hand up and listen #freeHour2ofTheAudible!
I don't have clarity on Shazier. I think he showed some flashes that coaching might stick to him and he'll learn to be at least as much linebacker as athlete. You can definitely expect some growing pains. There have been plays where he reads, sheds, takes a good angle and finishes with a punishing hit. There have been plays where his back is to the ball. He'll be fun to watch over the next month.

You can say the same thing for Bartu. But the team didn't have him as the starter over a slow, recovering Weatherspoon early this offseason and it remains to be seen whether he'll have the same consistency Worrilow has had. Basically, we've seen Worrilow perform under similar circumstances. Bartu has flashed but hasn't done it over the longer term inside. That makes Worrilow a back end elite fantasy linebacker with some ceiling left and Bartu a Upside LB3.

Your thoughts on better dynasty potential between Dominique Easley and Quanterus Smith? 14-team league with 2 DL starters where most teams carry 1 backup as well. DL get 2 points per tackle in this league. I know it's a DT vs DE comparison but if Easley is as athletic as what I've read then it seems Belichik could use him at DE as well? Smith rising fast, does he contribute this year?
Easley: Lightning quick interior lineman w/ projectable pass rush upside. Ceiling is near Atkins / McCoy. Going to be high variance if not, however. Much better in DT-required leagues or in sack-heavy systems. Easley isn't an edge setter against the run. He'd be miscast as a 3-4 DE, too. If he doesn't fit as a traditional DT, I think he's more likely to be a situational DT than an every-down DE.

Smith: Recovering well from ACL surgery. Looks better against the run (albeit v 2nd teamers) than I expected. Burst off edge isn't all the way back yet. DE1 if he hits, matchup DE3 if the edge rush doesn't come back and he doesn't fully develop v run. Smith will see some snaps this year, but it'll take an injury for him to see 600+ and have enough volume to put up fantasy numbers.

Is there any clarity regarding who the every down LBs will be for the Bengals or Cardinals?
Cincinnati, definitely. Been Burfict and Lamur since early in OTAs.

Arizona is a little trickier. I think we'll see Foote and Shaughnessy as the every-down backers. John Abraham, Sam Acho, Alex Okafor will rotate in at OLB. Kevin Minter will see some nickel snaps, but I suspect we'll see more six DB subpackages than anything else.

You seemed unsure of Morgan Burnett's role in the offseason. As a result, you rank him as a DB2 (#21) while the other rankers all have him in their top 10.

Has training camp and the preseason brought any clarity in regard to Burnett's role?

Thanks Jene
I don't have Burnett ranked really.

I've separated eight players I like as every-week consistent DB1 options entering the season. I have to list the near-elite players and they are loosely listed by preference, but I'm not reaching for any of that long list of players rounds before any of the others. I'm undervaluing him with his slot toward the end of that list. That's kind of a leftover malaise from the talk that the Packers had been unhappy with him at times and the expectation that Jones would be better in the dime and the now-healthy corners would be better overall.

It has become clear that Telvin Smith probably won't be starting this season. What are your thoughts on him? Lastly, what are your thoughts on JPP this year and going forward. Thanks.

It has become clear that Telvin Smith probably won't be starting this season. What are your thoughts on him? Lastly, what are your thoughts on JPP this year and going forward. Thanks.
If Smith sticks in the nickel all season long, it'll bode well for his chances of unseating Geno Hayes at WLB. I still like Smith in this scheme and he plays bigger than his size. But his size is an issue. His fantasy value was always about what scheme he'd play and how many snaps he'd get. He was never anything like Lavonte David, who could play in any scheme.

Pierre-Paul says he's healthy and his preseason play backed that up. He's just 25 years old and should be entering the prime of his career. Last year -- it was smart to sell high and get full value in case he didn't fully recover from the nerve-related issues in his neck and shoulder. That was never a guarantee. The pendulum swung to where many valued him as a DL2/3. If you can get him for that price, it's an easy call. I have him just outside the elite tier as a top 5-7 projection for 2014. We'll see how he holds up.

How do you see Cameron Wake doing this year? Everything I read said that he looked just as dominant last year as the one prior, but the end of year numbers just weren't there. Does he still have another big year left in him?

How do you see Cameron Wake doing this year? Everything I read said that he looked just as dominant last year as the one prior, but the end of year numbers just weren't there. Does he still have another big year left in him?
Wake tried to play through a mid-grade MCL sprain and wasn't the same after the first month of the season. I think he looked healthy this month.

I've had him just outside my elite tier for months and haven't seen anything to change my mind. Until I see him decline when healthy, I still think there's 45-10 upside.

Do you think the 49ers will just rotate between Wilhoite and Borland at ILB until Bowman returns?
Yes, but I'm not confident on how the snaps break down and who will play where in which package. There wasn't enough Patrick Willis in the preseason to see what they have in mind.

My sense is that Wilhoite will get the majority of snaps -- and maybe all snaps in all packages -- in the first week or two, with Borland getting lots of practice reps. I think the Niners like Borland's instincts and range, but know they have a trustworthy veteran in Wilhoite. So, I'd lean toward rostering Wilhoite for now, but wouldn't start him until there's an established trend and I'd be ready to move on Borland at the first sign of meaningful snaps. And that could be Week 1.

What are your thoughts on the Arizona Cardinals as a whole after losing Dockett, Washington, and Dansby?

Some knowledgeable buddies are telling me they see the Cardinals winning 9+ games this season. Last year they won 10 which makes me wonder were the 3 guys they lost overrated, or do they have some guys that can step in, be productive, and put up good fantasy numbers?

What are your thoughts on the Arizona Cardinals as a whole after losing Dockett, Washington, and Dansby?

Some knowledgeable buddies are telling me they see the Cardinals winning 9+ games this season. Last year they won 10 which makes me wonder were the 3 guys they lost overrated, or do they have some guys that can step in, be productive, and put up good fantasy numbers?
It's not an easy division in which to find nine wins. And if you're forced to find ways to put up 20+ points every week because you have a weak pass rush and now questions up the middle against the run, it makes it that much harder. Vegas has the o/u on Arizona wins at 7.5.

The players they have replacing last year's ILB group aren't anywhere near as talented. That doesn't mean they can't put up meaningful IDP stats, however. I think Foote can be a startable fantasy option. We'll see what comes of Minter, Bucannon and Mathieu.

Is there any clarity regarding who the every down LBs will be for the Bengals or Cardinals?

Arizona is a little trickier. I think we'll see Foote and Shaughnessy as the every-down backers. John Abraham, Sam Acho, Alex Okafor will rotate in at OLB. Kevin Minter will see some nickel snaps, but I suspect we'll see more six DB subpackages than anything else.
did lamur take mlb from mauawhateva or is he just slb?

did lamur take mlb from mauawhateva or is he just slb?
SLB

What do you think of Deone Bucannon in his rookie season?
Still like him. Won't be fantasy relevant until he earns a starting role. Expect that will happen at some point this year. Think Arizona more likely to start him when they get Mathieu back in the lineup full time.

Hi Jene,

Does Duke Ihenacho have any value now that he has been picked up by Washington?

Thanks!
Depends on if he's trusted to start while Meriweather is out. That hasn't been confirmed yet. He'll be in the box if that happens, so there may be some brief DB2 upside there.

Is Sio Moore's apparent three down role contingent on Mack being kept out in subpackages? If Mack progresses quickly, does that keep Moore off the field at all?

New England's secondary is always a gold mine in my scoring system. The scorer there is always very friendly to the box scores.

The problem is, I can't figure out who the starters are...

... how you would rank them in terms of (tackles+assisted tackles)?

Thanks!!

Defensive Back is often a good place to scoop players late, even in a deep deep dynasty setting, so I'm wondering about the upside early for a couple of high talent players: Jimmy Ward and Lamarcus Joyner. While not starters, might they carry a similar gotta play every week upside value as Tyrann Mathieu did last year as inside nickle players? Do they even have nickle duty at this point?

Are there any other interesting nickle type players that will be on the field a lot in high opportunity positions in the field?

Thanks!

Is Sio Moore's apparent three down role contingent on Mack being kept out in subpackages? If Mack progresses quickly, does that keep Moore off the field at all?
It's a great question. I'm not certain yet.

I'd like to see Mack/Tuck/Smith/Woodley in a 4-2-5 with both linebackers on the field but I don't know if that's in the works or not. I would guess that Roach makes more sense than Moore as a between the tackles nickel backer if Mack is used as a hybrid OLB/DE, but that's a guess based on the Raiders' primary concern with Moore that he isn't in position consistently.

Defensive Back is often a good place to scoop players late, even in a deep deep dynasty setting, so I'm wondering about the upside early for a couple of high talent players: Jimmy Ward and Lamarcus Joyner. While not starters, might they carry a similar gotta play every week upside value as Tyrann Mathieu did last year as inside nickle players? Do they even have nickle duty at this point?

Are there any other interesting nickle type players that will be on the field a lot in high opportunity positions in the field?

Thanks!
Joyner and Ward will both see time in the slot. Joyner is much more likely to see base defensive snaps than Ward.

Walter Thurmond and Bradley Roby would be at the top of my watch list to have a Richard Marshall like impact in the early weeks. There will likely be others.

I have kind of a general medical question --- not about me, although I just got an idea for my next question.....

I read a blurb about cooper, the az guard, and it mentioned him suffering from maybe turf toe, I think it was -- anyway, they said doctors cleared him to play as it was about pain management, and he couldn't do any more damage to whatever it was.

I see these kind of things pop up now and again, and I always wonder how is it the guy can't do further damage.

besides just the base chance for anybody to randomly injure anything, isn't the pain a warning from your body, and wouldn't these injured areas always be more susceptible to exacerbation?

not that I'm doubting any doctors.

here's the particular example

GM Steve Keim said G Jonathan Cooper is dealing with a "significant" turf toe injury.
Assured that the injured toe on his right foot couldn't get worse, Cooper returned to practice this week and is encouraged with the results.
tia!

New England's secondary is always a gold mine in my scoring system. The scorer there is always very friendly to the box scores.

Thanks!!
I'm not trying to butt in on anybody's aqa, but that's probably a tough question, right now.

mccourty should be locked in at FS and revis is pretty much locked in as one outside corner, but after that I think it's kind of fluid.

also, remember browner is suspended the first 4 games.

several teams had success last year rolling out 5 and 6 db defenses, so I couldn't even guess how many the pats will field on a regular basis, as I imagine it will be pretty game specific, but look for even more of that kind of thing.

I have kind of a general medical question --- not about me, although I just got an idea for my next question.....

I read a blurb about cooper, the az guard, and it mentioned him suffering from maybe turf toe, I think it was -- anyway, they said doctors cleared him to play as it was about pain management, and he couldn't do any more damage to whatever it was.

I see these kind of things pop up now and again, and I always wonder how is it the guy can't do further damage.

besides just the base chance for anybody to randomly injure anything, isn't the pain a warning from your body, and wouldn't these injured areas always be more susceptible to exacerbation?

not that I'm doubting any doctors.

here's the particular example

GM Steve Keim said G Jonathan Cooper is dealing with a "significant" turf toe injury.
Assured that the injured toe on his right foot couldn't get worse, Cooper returned to practice this week and is encouraged with the results.
tia!
There are some situations where an injury is serious enough that the injured body part isn't likely to be damaged additionally or, if it is, the pain associated with it or the procedure to fix it wouldn't be any more serious than it currently is. A high grade turf toe injury might be one.

However, I struggle with that statement because there's a risk of a compensatory or cascade injury to another part of the body. Your body must compensate for the relative pain, weakness and loss of range of motion somehow. That puts more pressure on other joints, tendons, muscles and may lead to another injury.

Thanks!!
I'm not trying to butt in on anybody's aqa, but that's probably a tough question, right now.

mccourty should be locked in at FS and revis is pretty much locked in as one outside corner, but after that I think it's kind of fluid.

several teams had success last year rolling out 5 and 6 db defenses, so I couldn't even guess how many the pats will field on a regular basis, as I imagine it will be pretty game specific, but look for even more of that kind of thing.
Missed that one somehow...

Today, I'd expect to see Revis/McCourty/Harmon/Dennard. I expect Arrington to be the nickel corner, with Browner playing a role when he comes off suspension. Logan Ryan and Patrick Chung may see some rotational snaps but I think it'll be Harmon/Dennard/Arrington as the supporting starters for now.

Would you start Brad Jones with confidence in Week 1, how likely do you seem him being healthy this year and if his health does hold up, what kind of value do you think he possesses?

I like his upside b/c he seems to run pretty well, I think AJ Hawk is below mediocre (although GB keeps him around), and he seems to be around the ball a lot. However, he has had a lot of trouble staying on the field.

Thanks!!

Today, I'd expect to see Revis/McCourty/Harmon/Dennard. I expect Arrington to be the nickel corner, with Browner playing a role when he comes off suspension. Logan Ryan and Patrick Chung may see some rotational snaps but I think it'll be Harmon/Dennard/Arrington as the supporting starters for now.
So, in essence, you see Harmon as the starting SS in base packages with Arrington taking his spot in subpackages? Or do you see Harmon as a 3 down SS with Arrington taking a LB's spot in the nickel?

The FBG depth charts seem to indicate that someone thinks Arrington and Harmon will share SS snaps with Arrington kicking to the slot in sub packges.

Thanks!!

So, in essence, you see Harmon as the starting SS in base packages with Arrington taking his spot in subpackages? Or do you see Harmon as a 3 down SS with Arrington taking a LB's spot in the nickel?

The FBG depth charts seem to indicate that someone thinks Arrington and Harmon will share SS snaps with Arrington kicking to the slot in sub packges.
I don't have any special insight, but I'll give you an opinion ---- there was a story during training camp about a couple corners getting reps at what people would describe as safety, but one media guy wryly cracked 'belichick would just call inside coverage', and one of these guys was arrington, but I wouldn't think he actually plays any safety.

arrington is a slot corner who does well down there in the traffic, but not so great on outside receivers, so if they're in zone underneath he's got some bleed over to safety, I think, but he isn't what you'd call a ss, and I think belichick just looks at all these guys as db's rather than assigning them labels like fantasy players do.

some people have speculated our depth at corner is now so great he might get bumped out of nickel and into dime, but I'd wait to see that actually happen, and I wonder if the pats may even be in a lot more 'dime' than we're used to, whether it's extra corners, or 3 safety packages, etc.

kc, buffalo, and maybe pitt tended to flood db, and it worked out ok for them --- I'd think the pats have the personnel, but it's probably more a situational thing than an every week defense.

harmon was reportedly the heir at ss early in camp, but I'm really not sure who they plan to roll out there at this point.

I think you have to be very careful here, as probably only 2 spots in this backfield are actually locked down, and things can change in a hurry on the pats.

for example, if I remember right, ryan put dennard on the bench for a good stretch last year.

edit: here's what I was talking about

Would you start Brad Jones with confidence in Week 1, how likely do you seem him being healthy this year and if his health does hold up, what kind of value do you think he possesses?

I like his upside b/c he seems to run pretty well, I think AJ Hawk is below mediocre (although GB keeps him around), and he seems to be around the ball a lot. However, he has had a lot of trouble staying on the field.
I think he'll be listed as probable with a quad injury, if your scoring gives decent points for assists (Seattle scorekeeper gives a lot)I'd roll with him. He scored OK when he played a full game even after the injury knocked him out of the subs, this year GB is supposed to play fast which should lead to more time on the field for the defense.

Jene, what is your best guess on what will happen when Trevathan returns for the Broncos? Any chance Marshall replaces Irving at MLB? Assuming Marshall continues his strong play into the regular season, of course.

On the one hand I could see a parallel with Woodyard finally getting his shot and keeping it from a few years ago due to injury (DJ Williams?). On the other maybe play-calling is a special talent and they'll need to retain Irving in that role. Or maybe even a Trevathan/Marshall platoon to slowly work Trevathan back?

Total speculation I know but tough to roster Marshall for likely just a 4-week stint and also factors into how hard / when to go after Trevathan in trades / waiver wire.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
harmon was reportedly the heir at ss early in camp, but I'm really not sure who they plan to roll out there at this point.

I think you have to be very careful here, as probably only 2 spots in this backfield are actually locked down, and things can change in a hurry on the pats.

for example, if I remember right, ryan put dennard on the bench for a good stretch last year.
This.

I wouldn't be looking for early, sneaky value in New England. I think the front seven will see the majority of value. If something emerges opposite Revis, jump on it. I'd lean Dennard if you're in a deep league and have to make an early bet. But it's a thin call.

PhantomJB said:
Jene, what is your best guess on what will happen when Trevathan returns for the Broncos? Any chance Marshall replaces Irving at MLB? Assuming Marshall continues his strong play into the regular season, of course.

On the one hand I could see a parallel with Woodyard finally getting his shot and keeping it from a few years ago due to injury (DJ Williams?). On the other maybe play-calling is a special talent and they'll need to retain Irving in that role. Or maybe even a Trevathan/Marshall platoon to slowly work Trevathan back?

Total speculation I know but tough to roster Marshall for likely just a 4-week stint and also factors into how hard / when to go after Trevathan in trades / waiver wire.
It's a good thought but I don't see Marshall taking over inside. I suppose it's possible, but they have been looking for options (Chaney-Barrow-Irving) through the offseason and Marshall didn't get much of a look. I wouldn't be heavily on Trevathan returning by Week 5, but it shouldn't be long after that even if he doesn't meet the early rehab goal. If you can get him at LB3 prices or less and have 6-8 weeks to float him on the roster, I'd add him.

PhantomJB said:

It's a good thought but I don't see Marshall taking over inside. I suppose it's possible, but they have been looking for options (Chaney-Barrow-Irving) through the offseason and Marshall didn't get much of a look. I wouldn't be heavily on Trevathan returning by Week 5, but it shouldn't be long after that even if he doesn't meet the early rehab goal. If you can get him at LB3 prices or less and have 6-8 weeks to float him on the roster, I'd add him.
Perfect. Great point about the preseason competition for MLB. Thanks.

The June installment of Eyes had the Bengals DEs listed as:

DE Wallace Gilberry - Depth with DL2 upside
DT/DE Margus Hunt - Sleeper with big long term upside
DE Will Clarke - Developmental long term sleeper
DE Robert Geathers - No value

Now that you've had a full slate of preseason games, how do you see the Bengals DE position shaking out? Gilberry is still listed as the starter with Hunt listed behind Dunlap as LDE. Is there any change to your notes above?

What type of starting lineup (DE/DT vs. DL) and/or roster size would make you consider the non-Dunlap DEs worthy of a roster spot?

Thanks!

The June installment of Eyes had the Bengals DEs listed as:

DE Wallace Gilberry - Depth with DL2 upside
DT/DE Margus Hunt - Sleeper with big long term upside
DE Will Clarke - Developmental long term sleeper
DE Robert Geathers - No value

Now that you've had a full slate of preseason games, how do you see the Bengals DE position shaking out? Gilberry is still listed as the starter with Hunt listed behind Dunlap as LDE. Is there any change to your notes above?

What type of starting lineup (DE/DT vs. DL) and/or roster size would make you consider the non-Dunlap DEs worthy of a roster spot?

Thanks!
Dunlap | Atkins | Peko | Gilberry will be the base starters. Preferred nickel look will probably be Dunlap | Atkins | Gilberry | Hunt.

Dunlap probably plays 2 of 3 series and the majority of nickel snaps.

Geathers and Gilberry probably rotate nearly 50-50 in base snaps.

Hunt will see a few base snaps, but not too many.

Brandon Thompson (and Kevin Vickerson) may see more base snaps early in the season until Atkins is ready to play close to every down.

Dunlap is a DL1 with variance.

Atkins, Gilberry are matchup DL3 for now. Atkins may be more by midseason, Gilberry is still an unknown. Hunt is a priority watch list player who might become a matchup DL3 or better if he wins more snaps in the base defense.

ETA: Clarke may have a hard time making the active roster initially, but could be a low volume substitute at some point this year.

Users who are viewing this thread