What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike and the Mad Dog show (Not Done!) (1 Viewer)

Deranged Hermit

Not cool & Pissed
Anyone in NY have some info on this. I don't listen to them much anymore, but there was a time when they were the best show on the radio IMO......

"Mike and the Mad Dog," the most successful, influential show in sports talk radio history, could soon be history itself. Barring a change of heart, the partnership between Mike Francesa and Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo is not expected to survive to see its 19th anniversary Sept. 5, industry sources with knowledge of the situation said. They may have already done their final show together; their next scheduled broadcast is not until July 11. It is not clear which host would remain on WFAN, only that it would not be both of them. One factor appears to be a fraying of their personal relationship in recent months. Reached on vacation last night, Francesa flatly said, "No comment." Russo, meanwhile, denied knowledge of a potential breakup, and said that his contract, including a no-compete clause, runs through October of 2009. "That is news to me," he said. "I have not heard that...That is fascinating information." Later, he added, "The only thing I can say is I am signed under contract for another year and a half. I don't think WFAN is going to let me out of that...I wish I had leverage like that." They are believed to be among the highest paid sports talk radio hosts in the country. In 2005, New York Magazine reported Francesa made $1.4 million and Russo made $1.3 million. -- Newsday

Last edited by a moderator:
haven't heard anything. but they both take a ton of time off in the summer, so it is not unusual for the show to be just one of them or guest fill-ins. they mainly do the show tgether for special events, ie jersey shore, giants training camp.

havent listened since I got sirius in december. Too many commericals, too many useless segments and waaaaaaaay too little knowledge about current players. (If i have to hear Mad Dog pick Arkansas because he likes "The Running back" (whose name he doesnt know) I'm just gonna lose it)

I heard that Francesa finally gave in to his inner voices and consumed Russo whole like a snake.

Just heard of this myself for the first time today. Apparantly the personal relationsip has gotten worse, which is really no surprise. They seem to ebb and flow with each other that way. You can basically tell the times they hate each other, and the times they really are getting along.

:coffee: Mad Dog apparantly talked about it today early on, but I haven't been listening today.

I always liked the show, although I don't know if it was more habit then anything else. Always liked Mike more then Chris because the arrogance was funny. The rumors on the internet are of the opinion that Mike is the one likely to go, if this is real at all, and that Chris will stay. Mike's contract is up soon - so the rumors go, I don't know this for sure - and he may be looking for a way out so that he can work an easier schedule and not have to deal with callers anymore - rumors include Sunday Night football team in studio and other type stuff.

It could all be postering. It could be for real. If it ends up just being Chris can't say I'll be listening though. Losing Mike and Imus in consecutive years is going to hurt that station because most of the rest of them are just terrible.

Its funny. Everybody (including me) hates them yet everyone still listens to them (almost out of habit like mentioned above).

Its funny. Everybody (including me) hates them yet everyone still listens to them (almost out of habit like mentioned above).
Yes, I think they screen for "annoying" in hiring sports talk guys -- in NY, anyway. I like the low profile/off-hours guys better: Richard Near and Don La Greca (ESPN). I also like Chris and Mike much more when they're each on by themselves instead of together. There is less screaming and Mike is less likely to say the same think five times in a row.

True... I bounce from WFAN to 1050 though based on the topic not so much the personalities...I do like Joe Beningo - Especially as a Jets fan.. When the Jets lose another game in some unimaginable way - especially in the 80's and 90's Joe was the one to seek out to hear a Jets fan REALLY go off the deep end......

They're not what they used to be, and their respective schticks are getting old, but they're still WAY better than anyone in Philly sports radio.

These days I mostly listen to CDs in the car.

Mike and the Dog completely jumped the shark a few years ago for me - Jets were in a huge game in December and Russo "didn't catch it" - not even on Tivo or highlights - guy makes $1M a year to talk NY sports and can't find time to even watch the game! Mike jumped it when he became Parcells life partner.

WFAN jumped he shark when they had - I kid you not - "Yankee Day" all day Yankee talk in January the week the Jets played the Raiders in the playoffs!!!!

Only thing worse than the idiots at WFAN are the sub morons running ESPN 1050 - they are handed a golden chance to thrash the fan and they come in with the same crap like 20/20 updates, too many commercials and garbage like Steven A Smith and Kellerman...

Thank God for Sirius!

Only thing worse than the idiots at WFAN are the sub morons running ESPN 1050 - they are handed a golden chance to thrash the fan and they come in with the same crap like 20/20 updates, too many commercials and garbage like Steven A Smith and Kellerman...
it's hard for me to take a guy who spent years on a local cable access show seriously as a sports journalist.

Not sure what Id do without these two clowns. Been listening forever it seems, and just cant turn it off, despite their lack of knowledge on modern day stuff.

Hope it blows over.

Damn. I remember back when Francesca was doing the sports for Imus and Russo was the weekend fill-in guy. You think Russo's enunciation is bad now? Try almost 20 years ago when for a month I thought his name was "Chris Tippawooso." He used to go off on rants that would have your head spin.

When they first started as a team they were good - lately it's like the steam has run out. Still, it was a good long run.

Bring back Pete Franklin!!! :confused:

Chris talked the first 15 minutes about this today. He seemed very adamit they they will keep working together. He did however admit for about 2 months straight they seemed to argue about everything to do with sports for some strange reason. However since the begining of May he did say they have not been arguing which is true.

I hope they keep going, love the show here in NJ.

Mike and the Dog completely jumped the shark a few years ago for me - Jets were in a huge game in December and Russo "didn't catch it" - not even on Tivo or highlights - guy makes $1M a year to talk NY sports and can't find time to even watch the game! Mike jumped it when he became Parcells life partner.WFAN jumped he shark when they had - I kid you not - "Yankee Day" all day Yankee talk in January the week the Jets played the Raiders in the playoffs!!!! Only thing worse than the idiots at WFAN are the sub morons running ESPN 1050 - they are handed a golden chance to thrash the fan and they come in with the same crap like 20/20 updates, too many commercials and garbage like Steven A Smith and Kellerman...Thank God for Sirius!
It's scary how little Mike knows about sports considering he get paid a mil+ a year to talk about sports. The guy spends half the show reading the sports section of the Daily News and talking about the articles.

The only good radio show left is the Toucher and Rich show. The past couple of weeks have been frigging hilarious.

Mike and the Dog completely jumped the shark a few years ago for me - Jets were in a huge game in December and Russo "didn't catch it" - not even on Tivo or highlights - guy makes $1M a year to talk NY sports and can't find time to even watch the game! Mike jumped it when he became Parcells life partner.WFAN jumped he shark when they had - I kid you not - "Yankee Day" all day Yankee talk in January the week the Jets played the Raiders in the playoffs!!!! Only thing worse than the idiots at WFAN are the sub morons running ESPN 1050 - they are handed a golden chance to thrash the fan and they come in with the same crap like 20/20 updates, too many commercials and garbage like Steven A Smith and Kellerman...Thank God for Sirius!
It's scary how little Mike knows about sports considering he get paid a mil+ a year to talk about sports. The guy spends half the show reading the sports section of the Daily News and talking about the articles.
As an avid hockey fan, I get annoyed the most by the fact that they admittedly don't follow hockey much, but when it comes up as a topic, the two of them (mainly Francesca) all of sudden act like they're experts.

I did listen to Mad Dog at the start of ths how yesterday and basically was saying that the two of them are not going anywhere because they have a contract. He brought that up about 800 times like he brings everything else up 800 times.

I used to live for these guys when I was in middle-high school (1989-1995). Then I went to college in Binghamton (where you could still pick it up most of the way) and stopped listening. I got into talk radio again in 2001 when I started listening to Kornheiser and Dan Patrick. I agree with who ever said it but ESPN blew their golden chance in NY. The only reason I even went back down the dial is because ESPN had the worst 4 hour stint in radio in history. It was Kellerman from 10-12 and then Steven A from 12-2. Aboslutely unlistenable and I went back to Mike and Dog.

Gotta love that these two clowns almost come to blows over whether Don Nelson is a hall of famer..

my wife and I argue about that all the time too

i'm still a huge fan

Very true statement. To think they get paid $1MM+ to produce bad radio that I listen to purely because....well, I don't know why I do, but I do....

So ####### true. It's part of the fabric of NY sports. Some ugly ### plaid fabric.
Since the advent of the MP3 player I no longer carry a discman/radio with me, and as such, never listen to WFAN anymore, including Mike and Chris...Can't say I miss it at all...

Occasionally if I am home during the week, I will flip on YES for the videocast as background noise, but it has become damn near unlistenable...

Those guys are horrible. Their schtick is funny the first 2 or 3 times you hear it but then you just want to put your head through the wall. Russo doesn't know anything about anything (except maybe tennis woo#######hoo) and Mikey the Hut is so pompous that he doesn't realize that he doesn't know anything about modern day sports. Mike is supposed to be pro-Yankees but even as a huge Yankees fan I can't stand listening to fat boy talk about the Yankees either. God bless sirius as I haven't had to suffer through those two dooshbags for a few years now.

yup. i was without sirius for like 2 days and had to the FAN. its unlistenable. Commercials every 2 minutes. Awful.

MikeFrancesa.com is like the "official" unofficial Mike and the mad dog message board. Check out some of these usernames:

:goodposting:

gun to your head

say something funny mike

show some guts

play for pay

ro's emotional friend

the fanaroonie

checker on a checker (my favorite)

spotty eddie erickson

pipe down

use your noodle

back after this

kick in the fanny

til the cows come home

onthefan

mike's diet coke

gee whiz

heres the mink man

lucy goosey

joe dimaggio is joe dimaggio --

a bad job on my part

1st time long time

gag nay

now hold on now

fair point

in a big spot

MikeFrancesa.com is like the "official" unofficial Mike and the mad dog message board. Check out some of these usernames:

:angry:

gun to your head

say something funny mike

show some guts

play for pay

ro's emotional friend

the fanaroonie

checker on a checker (my favorite)

spotty eddie erickson

pipe down

use your noodle

back after this

kick in the fanny

til the cows come home

onthefan

mike's diet coke

gee whiz

heres the mink man

lucy goosey

joe dimaggio is joe dimaggio --

:lmao:

I hate both of them, yet...I listen religiously....I even watch it on YES if I am home.

What loser would WATCH two guys talk sports for 5 hours? Me...

We will all miss them when they go. Think of how awful the alternatives are....Boomer? Joe B? Evan? Michael Kay? No thanks...

I hate both of them, yet...I listen religiously....I even watch it on YES if I am home.What loser would WATCH two guys talk sports for 5 hours? Me...We will all miss them when they go. Think of how awful the alternatives are....Boomer? Joe B? Evan? Michael Kay? No thanks...
if/when they split up will be a sad day in my life but it will probably also be one of the last days I turn to 660 on the AM dial.the rest of the station is unlistenable

I can sort of see the following scenario

Francesa takes over the Morning Drive where he gets to do more Politican stuff and current events and doesn't have to deal with callers (who he despises).

:kicksrock:

gun to your head

say something funny mike

show some guts

play for pay

ro's emotional friend

the fanaroonie

checker on a checker

spotty eddie erickson

pipe down

use your noodle

back after this

kick in the fanny

til the cows come home

onthefan

mike's diet coke

gee whiz

heres the mink man

lucy goosey

joe dimaggio is joe dimaggio

a bad job on my part

1st time long time

gag nay

now hold on now

fair point

in a big spot
I don't get the 3 bolded ones. Care to explain?Really surprised "Fatso and Fruitloops" isn't taken.

checker on a checker is when one of them makes the same pick as the other in the football picks

spooty eddie erickson refers to their producers ineptitude in a big spot.

i dont know about ro's emotional friend, other than that Ro is mikes wife.

The only reason that is the most "successful, influential" show ever is because it is in NYC, if those two hacks were in Milwaukee, they'd be unknowns.

I admit I am not a fan of sports talk radio. Too many commercials and bad arguments? That's not bad sports radio--that's what sports radio is.

Even in a medium with such a low standard, these two guys, completely ignorant of almost every topic they discussed, I would call them no better than average. Any of the nationwide ESPN shows are better; better info, better guests, better conversations.

checker on a checker is when one of them makes the same pick as the other in the football picksspooty eddie erickson refers to their producers ineptitude in a big spot. i dont know about ro's emotional friend, other than that Ro is mikes wife.
Thanks. Isn't that funny. I've been listening to their football picks for YEARS and I've never heard the checkers thing.

checker on a checker is when one of them makes the same pick as the other in the football picksspooty eddie erickson refers to their producers ineptitude in a big spot. i dont know about ro's emotional friend, other than that Ro is mikes wife.
Thanks. Isn't that funny. I've been listening to their football picks for YEARS and I've never heard the checkers thing.
Right, Ro is Mike's wife and I assume the emotional friend refers to that of Sal the Stockbroker's wife.

The only reason that is the most "successful, influential" show ever is because it is in NYC, if those two hacks were in Milwaukee, they'd be unknowns.I admit I am not a fan of sports talk radio. Too many commercials and bad arguments? That's not bad sports radio--that's what sports radio is. Even in a medium with such a low standard, these two guys, completely ignorant of almost every topic they discussed, I would call them no better than average. Any of the nationwide ESPN shows are better; better info, better guests, better conversations.
Mike and The Dog get EVERYONE who is ANYONE on that show. They get great guests. If there is an NHL issue, Gary Bettman is on their show in a heartbeat. Same with the NBA, MLB, NFL, etc. Both guys have gotten lazy, in that they don't watch all the games. But, their show never lacks for high quality guests. I listen to ESPN in the morning and WFAN in the afternoon. I would say M and the MD own any other show in terms of guests. Only Dan Patrick was close..

I really don't get the hate for these guys. I'm thinking it's more of "it's cool not to like them" type of feeling then anything else. When they are on they are funny together, they get just about anyone the show that you could ask for as well.

The only reason that is the most "successful, influential" show ever is because it is in NYC, if those two hacks were in Milwaukee, they'd be unknowns.I admit I am not a fan of sports talk radio. Too many commercials and bad arguments? That's not bad sports radio--that's what sports radio is. Even in a medium with such a low standard, these two guys, completely ignorant of almost every topic they discussed, I would call them no better than average. Any of the nationwide ESPN shows are better; better info, better guests, better conversations.
:confused:

:rolleyes:
Not a good posting as for the guests part. Think its a better show with better info, thats your opinion, but no way does anybody get better guests than Mike/dog.

I really don't get the hate for these guys. I'm thinking it's more of "it's cool not to like them" type of feeling then anything else. When they are on they are funny together, they get just about anyone the show that you could ask for as well.
...because I find them to be annoying blowhards. Hockey is a sport....they should discuss it. I don't want to hear about baseball in January.

Users who are viewing this thread