What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alshon Jefferey (1 Viewer)

DansRams

Footballguy
Alshon weighs in at 6'3 216.....How many "experts" were way off on him? I think he runs a 4.5 and starts shooting back up draft boards next week.

Alshon weighs in at 6'3 216.....How many "experts" were way off on him? I think he runs a 4.5 and starts shooting back up draft boards next week.
What will he weigh on Jan 1 2013? Of course he had lots of incentive to drop the 40 lbs because his livelyhood depended on it. I wonder what he will do after he gets paid ;)

What will he weigh on Jan 1 2013? Of course he had lots of incentive to drop the 40 lbs because his livelyhood depended on it. I wonder what he will do after he gets paid ;)
Still assuming the rumors were true?? :confused: The guy didnt drop 30lbs in a couple of weeks.

Still assuming the rumors were true?? :confused: The guy didnt drop 30lbs in a couple of weeks.
Oh, he was a porker alright. Did you see pics of him?

here's an article from a couple of weeks ago speaking with jeffery's trainer about what he's been doing lately. seems like he's incredibly unmotivated and unwilling to succeed to me too... :rolleyes:

a photo of him where he looked a bit overweight shows up on the internet. THE INTERNET. panic and a plunge down draft boards! oh my!

i think this was an overreaction of the media (and members of this forum) more than it was a kid packing the pounds and being lazy. JU, you saying he'll pack it all back on when he's paid... you're basing this on what? a hunch? or are you basing it off of that photo we saw a few months back? and being that i'm in a league with you i've seen this kind of thing before... rueben randle?

jeffery has done nothing but work his tail off his whole career. he was the only target in the gamecocks passing game and teams played him that way. when lattimore went down it was even more so. people talk about putting too much weight on 40 time or this and that at the combine but people were putting too much WEIGHT on a photo. (pun intended) as it states in the article if you watch his 2011 season, his poor numbers weren't due to laziness or lack of effort. it was due to press/multiple coverage and lackluster QB play.

Last edited by a moderator:
here's an article from a couple of weeks ago speaking with jeffery's trainer about what he's been doing lately. seems like he's incredibly unmotivated and unwilling to succeed to me too... :rolleyes:

a photo of him where he looked a bit overweight shows up on the internet. THE INTERNET. panic and a plunge down draft boards! oh my!

i think this was an overreaction of the media (and members of this forum) more than it was a kid packing the pounds and being lazy. JU, you saying he'll pack it all back on when he's paid... you're basing this on what? a hunch? or are you basing it off of that photo we saw a few months back? and being that i'm in a league with you i've seen this kind of thing before... rueben randle?

jeffery has done nothing but work his tail off his whole career. he was the only target in the gamecocks passing game and teams played him that way. when lattimore went down it was even more so. people talk about putting too much weight on 40 time or this and that at the combine but people were putting too much WEIGHT on a photo. (pun intended) as it states in the article if you watch his 2011 season, his poor numbers weren't due to laziness or lack of effort. it was due to press/multiple coverage and lackluster QB play.
No doubt it will be interesting watching him either prove people wrong, or do exactly what a lot of people think he will do. I don't know what will happen but I'm not willing to take that chance until the 2nd round of rookie drafts. No way in hell I spend a 1st rd pick on Jeffrey. He's a good risk in the 2nd however.

I like him as a late 1st rounder. Sure there's risk but he has terrific talent if he can show he has enough speed to compete at the next level.

Still not a fan. He has a naturally soft physique no matter what the scales said on one particular day. I think he'll struggle with his weight. More importantly, I wasn't convinced by what I saw on the field. Good height and hands. Pretty limited speed and quickness.

I think separation will be an issue for him. Nevermind the fact that he seems like the type who might have issues staying focused and working hard.

Still not a fan. He has a naturally soft physique no matter what the scales said on one particular day. I think he'll struggle with his weight. More importantly, I wasn't convinced by what I saw on the field. Good height and hands. Pretty limited speed and quickness.

I think separation will be an issue for him. Nevermind the fact that he seems like the type who might have issues staying focused and working hard.
Based on what?

his handlers did a great job of getting him to lose the weight... be curious to see how many reps he does at 225 since if he went on a crash diet, it will effect strength and endurance. sure he will be able to run a little quicker for less than 5 seconds since he is lighter, but the wall comes much faster during a bench press.

I think the real concern going forward is self motiviation and discipline. Great hands only take you so far. You have to be a professional and not take for granted the opportunity presented by being selected in the 1st or 2nd round. During OTA's and camp, the guy lining up accross from you or is behind you on the depth chart does not care where you were drafted. The front office may at first, but the will ultimately realize that the cost/benefit for keeping a player on roster trumps everything else.

the yo yoing of weight is a concern to me (eyeball test since he won't weigh in every week and press guides are notoriously rounded in the player's favor). the lack of being able to separate from college CBs is probably a bigger concern.

Based on what?
Based on the fact that he entered fall practice as a fat pig.

I think EBF is right on when he said Jeffery looks soft. Even if he does lose weight that has to factor in since he's not a burner.

hmm i read he was undecided if he was going to run. i didn't see that he wasn't going to... have to wait for the pro day then like blackmon. i agree the next most interesting thing will be where his strength is at now.

and now he won't run at the combine: BOOOOO!
If ever there was one who needed to run at the combine, Jeffery was it.
Yeah, that seems like a pretty big red flag - if he hasn't had enough time to get in shape to run a half-way decent time by now...I was excited to see if he could do well at the combine as I think he has great ball skills, but this is ruins most if not all of my enthusiasm for him.

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying this as some madeup media/message board story. The guy admitted recently that he played the past season at over 230 pounds. Obviously if he weighed in at 216, you can pretty well assume that over 230 isn't his ideal playing weight. It wasn't "just a photo", the guy basically admitted that he played his whole season 15-20 pounds overweight.Whether it was laziness, a bad decision to purposely pack on pounds, or something else, the guy was too big and slow this past season. That is a fact. Not something madeup by the media or message boarders.

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying this as some madeup media/message board story. The guy admitted recently that he played the past season at over 230 pounds. Obviously if he weighed in at 216, you can pretty well assume that over 230 isn't his ideal playing weight. It wasn't "just a photo", the guy basically admitted that he played his whole season 15-20 pounds overweight.Whether it was laziness, a bad decision to purposely pack on pounds, or something else, the guy was too big and slow this past season. That is a fact. Not something madeup by the media or message boarders.
if you want to base your decisions off of a still photo go ahead. i didn't say he wasn't overweight. i'm saying that regardless of his weight he still played well with the poor QB play and coverage he received this year. the kid has a huge stride and moves effortlessly. it makes him look like he's not even trying. if you just want to ignore the gametapes and throw it all out based on a photo showing a belly go ahead. i think he could prove alot of the naysayers wrong. saying someone is big and slow based off of a still photograph is pretty silly, but thats just me i guess.

if you want to base your decisions off of a still photo go ahead. i didn't say he wasn't overweight. i'm saying that regardless of his weight he still played well with the poor QB play and coverage he received this year. the kid has a huge stride and moves effortlessly. it makes him look like he's not even trying. if you just want to ignore the gametapes and throw it all out based on a photo showing a belly go ahead. i think he could prove alot of the naysayers wrong. saying someone is big and slow based off of a still photograph is pretty silly, but thats just me i guess.
He was big and slow all this season. Forget the picture, all you had to do was watch him play this year - he was nowhere near as dominant.

He was big and slow all this season. Forget the picture, all you had to do was watch him play this year - he was nowhere near as dominant.
did you happen to see the qb's throwing him the ball (and where they were throwing the ball) or the coverage he was getting all season long? might want to take another look, there's more than meets the eye.

Still not a fan. He has a naturally soft physique no matter what the scales said on one particular day. I think he'll struggle with his weight. More importantly, I wasn't convinced by what I saw on the field. Good height and hands. Pretty limited speed and quickness. I think separation will be an issue for him. Nevermind the fact that he seems like the type who might have issues staying focused and working hard.
I may disagree with you about soccer, but I 100% agree with you about Jeffrey.Late 2nd/early 3rd type player.

did you happen to see the qb's throwing him the ball (and where they were throwing the ball) or the coverage he was getting all season long? might want to take another look, there's more than meets the eye.
The QBing was horrible, but Jeffery was not himself, he just wasn't. He did not look like the same dominant player he was two years ago. At times, he looked very good, but not consistently, even taking the QB woes into consideration. He looked sluggish to me.

What's with this nobody running at the combine Bullcr@p? Weak sauce. Friggin Calvin ran in someone else's shoes and Julio ran on a broken foot. Bunch of pansies this year.

The QBing was horrible, but Jeffery was not himself, he just wasn't. He did not look like the same dominant player he was two years ago. At times, he looked very good, but not consistently, even taking the QB woes into consideration. He looked sluggish to me.
How many games did you watch and could you list them please?

'werdnoynek said:
'bengalbuck said:
'werdnoynek said:

It's the moobs that are scaring people. WRs shouldn't have moobs, that should be a rule. It tells me he doesn't care enough to work hard enough to be a stud.

You guys are nuts, I'm buying...for what seems like nothing at this point. You guys are making it out to seem like he is Darius Miles or Kwame Brown. I would still take him at 1.6 1.7 1.8 :shrug: .... but apparently that wont be needed anymore, lots of bold statements with small amount of info going on here. Was anyone saying Jeffery was 'soft' two years ago? Are people totally forgetting the crazy ceiling this guy showed?

You guys are nuts, I'm buying...for what seems like nothing at this point. You guys are making it out to seem like he is Darius Miles or Kwame Brown. I would still take him at 1.6 1.7 1.8 :shrug: .... but apparently that wont be needed anymore, lots of bold statements with small amount of info going on here. Was anyone saying Jeffery was 'soft' two years ago? Are people totally forgetting the crazy ceiling this guy showed?
:goodposting: Anyone that looks at the "fat" picture, is and should be concerned, but 88 for 1517 and the ability it takes to do that against the level of competition he faced, shouldnt be ignored. I would be very happy to get him at 1.10/1.11

I would love for this to be the last time I ever see the word experts in quotes.

He's ranked by everyone as about the 4th/5th WR, and everyone acknowledges that he's got great upside. I don't think the draft community is being overly negative on the guy.

I would love for this to be the last time I ever see the word experts in quotes.

He's ranked by everyone as about the 4th/5th WR, and everyone acknowledges that he's got great upside. I don't think the draft community is being overly negative on the guy.
I would love for this to be the last time there is a worthless comment in the SP...oops guess I messed that up :banned:

big day tomorrow (today) for jeffery... time to be somebody.
What do you expect?
i had no idea what to expect... given the smear campaign that was going on this past year. i loved what i saw from him on tape since he was a freshman but the media (and some people here) couldn't get over his recent fat pictures and claiming he was lazy.i think his performance today should silent some people. i read he ran around 4.4 which was huge for him. he's one of the few guys in this draft who can be #1 receivers. he may have bumped himself into the first round with his performance imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread