What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DirecTV to charge extra for HD games this year (1 Viewer)

Mik789fl

Footballguy
I just hit the DirecTV website and saw the pricing for Sunday Ticket is out for 2005. It's about $220 for anyone who subscribed last year,but here's the kicker,last year they showed several games each week in HD as part of the package,this year there is a "Super Fan" offer for an additional $99 that will offer 100 games in HD during the season,there are a few other enhancements in the "Super Fan" programming but basically we're being charged $99 extra for the HD games. I sent an e-mail expressing my displeasure with this,anyone with the Ticket and HD should be a little upset with this,here's their web-site

http://www.directv.com

I just hit the DirecTV website and saw the pricing for Sunday Ticket is out for 2005. It's about $220 for anyone who subscribed last year,but here's the kicker,last year they showed several games each week in HD as part of the package,this year there is a "Super Fan" offer for an additional $99 that will offer 100 games in HD during the season,there are a few other enhancements in the "Super Fan" programming but basically we're being charged $99 extra for the HD games. I sent an e-mail expressing my displeasure with this,anyone with the Ticket and HD should be a little upset with this,here's their web-site

http://www.directv.com
Best way you can show your displeasure is not pay for it.

I'll agree that this is a B.S. call for many reasons:1) HD was available and included last year -- this is a takeaway from what they used to offer.2) I have the NFL package to follow all games and specifically my team outside of the market I'm in. Last year I could watch these on many occasions in HD; not so in the year coming up unless paying additionally.3) I will be forced into paying for the HD programming without even knowing which games will be broadcast in HD. Last year, many of the offered HD games were from my market, and thus were blacked out. Also, many of the games of "my team" were just shown in standard format.If only the NFL offered competition to other satellite and cable companies to show NFL games, I would be completely done with DirecTV!

Looks like you get the HD games, the RedZone channel and the Mix Game channel where you can watch up to 8 games on 1 channel for the Extra $99.

Looks like you get the HD games, the RedZone channel and the Mix Game channel where you can watch up to 8 games on 1 channel for the Extra $99.
that's correct,but last year we got the HD games with the basic subscription,so in effect,for the EXTRA $99 we're getting the "red zone" and the "mix",is that worth it?

$220's a pretty healthy price increase in itself, isn't it? Wasn't it around $180 last year?*looks at calendar* It's about time they start the payments in advance, too, isn't it? Always loved that part.

that's correct,but last year we got the HD games with the basic subscription,so in effect,for the EXTRA $99 we're getting the "red zone" and the "mix",is that worth it?
The first taste is always free!!! Now that they given us a glimpse of the games in HD, the call is yours is HD, Red zone and Mix worth the $99 dollars... I'll pay it cause I hated watching the games that were not in HD....

The first taste is always free!!! Now that they given us a glimpse of the games in HD, the call is yours is HD, Red zone and Mix worth the $99 dollars... I'll pay it cause I hated watching the games that were not in HD....
The "mix" channel says it requires an "interactive reciever" for proper viewing,what is that,ANOTHER EXTRA!? :loco:

$220's a pretty healthy price increase in itself, isn't it? Wasn't it around $180 last year?

*looks at calendar* It's about time they start the payments in advance, too, isn't it? Always loved that part.
I was just thinking the same thing. About 30% increase without the extra $99.Double lame in that ALL TV will be in HD eventually, so why act like it is something special that should cost more.

I'd say I might dump it, but I doubt that would pan out as true. I'm too used to watching the Steelers each week.

The "mix" channel says it requires an "interactive reciever" for proper viewing,what is that,ANOTHER EXTRA!? :loco:
Oh, yeah...Basically it is the HD DVR.... looks like the $99 covers the HD and Red zone channel :rant:

So now it's about $13 a week for the Ticket with an addition $6 a week for HD? Nice racket to get into. :hot:All in all it isn't a bad deal if you watch it every week, but missing a few weeks really jacks up the per week cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I stuck with TWC instead of switching over to D* merely for the NFL package as I was strongly considering last year. No way would I pay $320 + fees on top of normal monthly programming costs to enjoy NFL in HD... I can live with with 3 sunday day games (2 of which will definitely be HD), SNF & MNF, and the occasional Thursday/Saturday games... all of which should be in HD with my TWC HD plan. I'll catch highlights of other games and spend the $330 on beer and pizza. Not a big fan of providers gouging customers for HD when they've already spent thousands on equipment assuming status quo D* service costs.

My understanding is that DirectTV does have a cusotmer rentention line that some have used to get price breaks and free deals... People politely threaten things like "I am getting HD and am just gonna switch to cable because your equipment is so expensive." I suppose it might be worth threatening to switch back to cable unless they waive the $99 fee for at least this season. Not likely that they'll do it, but it is worth the call to know what the customer retention department is empowered to do for you.Also, each operator has individual discretion to give credits where credits are generally authorized.

Here's a corporate office number that people are calling to express their outrage over the pricing. 310-535-5000

Man, I love DirecTV and the Ticket, but they really screwed up on this one. I predict they are going to have to back off of this - maybe issue something saying that people misunderstood, that the regular number of free HD games will still be available and that this new offer entitles you to EXTRA HD games.Because if they don't, they are going to lose a lot of customers. It's a little crazy to charge your HD viewers extra for something you're already charging them extra for.

Man, I love DirecTV and the Ticket, but they really screwed up on this one. I predict they are going to have to back off of this - maybe issue something saying that people misunderstood, that the regular number of free HD games will still be available and that this new offer entitles you to EXTRA HD games.

Because if they don't, they are going to lose a lot of customers. It's a little crazy to charge your HD viewers extra for something you're already charging them extra for.
:goodposting:

Since I hate watching games in non-HD, I will just go with my over-the-air HD and skip Sunday Ticket entirely. I won't drop DirecTV, since cable sucks much more than DirecTV.Basically, they want $320 for the same programming we had last year. I'm not going to use the 8 games on a single screen or any of the other crap. I'm going to invest $320 into having the best stinking over-the-air HD antenna there is installed and wired to the televisions. Then, I will sit around on the internet while I watch what is being broadcast.Bastards!!! F-ing Bastards!!!!!!!!

It appears the squeaky wheel gets the grease....

According to many of the posts here , those that have been calling asking for a refund of surcharge are getting it.

I recommend putting some effort in talking to a CSR, or even a supervisor, and pushing for credit....

It appears the squeaky wheel gets the grease....

According to many of the posts here , those that have been calling asking for a refund of surcharge are getting it.

I recommend putting some effort in talking to a CSR, or even a supervisor, and pushing for credit....
The only two guys I've seen in that thread who got refunds are one guy who has every package in the world (and is spending $180/mos) and another guy who has been with them since 97 with no late payments. Everyone else is getting the "We're sorry, there's nothing we can do for you" treatment.

First of all, :eek: at this new pricing.Second, and I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere in this thread, but for previous NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers the cost is $199 via 'auto-renewal' or whatever it is called. Also, according to a DirecTV customer service representative, that $199 includes the HD package, which is $99 extra for new subscribers.Customer service representatives have been known to be wrong before, but at least that is promising for those of us who were already NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers.Still, $199 is a lot of change for the Ticket. That's about all I can bear with two kids and a wife competing for my time on a Sunday too. Once more price increase will probably result in it's cancellation...

Second, and I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere in this thread, but for previous NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers the cost is $199 via 'auto-renewal' or whatever it is called. Also, according to a DirecTV customer service representative, that $199 includes the HD package, which is $99 extra for new subscribers.
You've been misinformed just like a lot of people who have spoken to D* customer service reps. Frankly it appears they seemingly did not prep their customer service for this pricing change yet and only people who are calling the retention 800 number are being properly advised, and in limited instances, credited. If you look at the threads from AVS forum which were linked, here was one of many similar customer service experiences:Ok, just got off the phone. At first the CSR in retention did not believe they had moved the HD games to a 2nd teir -- but he was kind enough to look it up on the website.

He then said the HD was still included at the 199.00 auto renewal rate. I said BS and had him call his supervisor to find out what the hell was going on.

5 minutes later he came back on the line and confirmed HD is not included this year at the 199.00 auto renewal price nor at the 219.00 new sub price. I actually started laughing and told him they were out of their minds.

IIRC, Directv shows a number of out-of-market games in HDTV.
The whole point of the post is that Directv will no longer be showing games in HD unless you pay extra for it.
Right, but using the local stations like you suggested does nothing for me, because basically 100% of my football watching is out-of-market games anyway.

BigJim,Thanks for the information. Like I said, customer service reps have been known to be wrong before. Well, I will have to mull over SD Sunday Ticket for $199, as it eating up my entire Sunday was an issue when it was $179.

$189 renewal fee....not a good conversation as no haba espanolI called back and was given a 199.00 renewal fee. No extra HD fee for the ST on either call.

$189 renewal fee....not a good conversation as no haba espanol

I called back and was given a 199.00 renewal fee. No extra HD fee for the ST on either call.
Did you specifically ask about the HD fee or was it just not mentioned?

$189 renewal fee....not a good conversation as no haba espanol

I called back and was given a 199.00 renewal fee. No extra HD fee for the ST on either call.
Did you specifically ask about the HD fee or was it just not mentioned?
I mentioned it on both calls. The reps were saying that when you pay for HD service, you get available HD games. There was a language barrier and some of "let me research this, please hold" pauses. I specifically mentioned about an additional $99 fee for ST HD games. In my experiences (I'm on the 3rd call right now), the $99 fee and the ST HD programming is confusing from what I am getting form the customer service reps...Escalated call...$100 is correct for HD Sunday Ticket games...offered to buy me a HD receiver to keep me as a customer...offered to split the $99 HD fee in half...no, cancelled DirecTV service following the baseball season.

The additional fee for DTV HD service is 10.99 per month and I would pay that, but paying an additional $99 for ST games on top of that was my last straw. It pains me to crawl back to cable after being a DTV subscriber since 1997, but I'll be making that call in the fall.

Hi, for those of us on the edge about renewing the Ticket does anyone know where we can get a listing of what games will be televised this year? I found myself watching the national broadcasts than the ticket last year and wonder if the same will hold true.-PSA

Since I hate watching games in non-HD, I will just go with my over-the-air HD and skip Sunday Ticket entirely. I won't drop DirecTV, since cable sucks much more than DirecTV.

Basically, they want $320 for the same programming we had last year. I'm not going to use the 8 games on a single screen or any of the other crap. I'm going to invest $320 into having the best stinking over-the-air HD antenna there is installed and wired to the televisions. Then, I will sit around on the internet while I watch what is being broadcast.

Bastards!!! F-ing Bastards!!!!!!!!
i'm with you on this, probably won't have the sunday ticket this year or for that matter ever at these prices, but there is no way cable comes back in my house. TWC SUCKS

I just sent an e-mail to DirecTV, that they lost one certain new subscriber.....being a Rabid Patriots fan who had to move from Boston to Philly a month ago. I figured the ST was a no brainer....but that is unacceptable. As I said, due to their outrageous price increases I went from an "almost certain new subcriber" to a "no way in hell". When you consider, if its true, that a year ago you could get HDTV ST for $179, and this year it is up at $320......what is that a %78 price hike?According to my research it looks like the Pats are due 7 (3 MNF, 1 Sun Night, 1 Sat, games vs. NYJ and Pitt) and potentially more National games. Hey if everyone lets them hear it, maybe we can make a difference. I went on to tell them that I'm sure they are hearing of this issues in droves, and that if it doesn't get corrected I will be scheduling a Comcast Install shortly after my June 1 close date.

Hi,  for those of us on the edge about renewing the Ticket does anyone know where we can get a listing of what games will be televised this year?  I found myself watching the national broadcasts than the ticket last year and wonder if the same will hold true.

-PSA
Not a DTV subscriber, but is this what you're looking for?http://www.directvsports.com/Packages/NFLS...icket/Schedule/
Thanks man, but I was looking for the national schedules. I should of just hit nfl.com and not been so lazy.If anyone else is interested: http://www.nfl.com/schedules/tv/national

i'm with you on this, probably won't have the sunday ticket this year or for that matter ever at these prices, but there is no way cable comes back in my house. TWC SUCKS
I'm shocked that you think TWC sucks. I was mad at one point myself about how long it took them to roll out ESPN HD, but once they did their HD package became second to none as mainstream providers go. I'm getting certain Twolves/Twins games in HD, TNT HD and a bunch of other HD channels.

Well, I just went from "I'm seriously thinking about DTV and ST this year" to "Nope, not gonna happen yet again". This is a direct result of their new exclusive agreement with the NFL and I am not gonna support this specific monopoly. I was waiting anxiously for the time I could get the ST on cable or DISH, but had resigned myself when DTV signed the contract. The price increase and HD fee on top was the last straw in my decision making process though. I can drink a lot of beer and still buy tickets to the game when the Vikings visit the Lions for $320.

Thats funny - their website is still advertising that all you need is an HD receiver and ST and you're all set for HD NFL games. The big outrage is gonna be weeks 1 and 2 when Joe Blow fan who has a HD tv but didn't do his research trys to find an HD game on DTV/ST and can't and calls DTV to complain - "I'm sorry sir, would you like to pay $99 to see those games in HD?" = Peeved Joe Blow fan.

LINK

What's the email address to complain about the pricing and such? I am (and I know others would be) willing to send an email about this telling them they lost a possible customer.

I just submitted this to DirecTV:TALK ABOUT FRIDAY THE 13TH! I noticed that the NFL Sunday Ticket package price was posted. However, I was disappointed to see that despite the already steep cost, DirecTV is going to charge another $99 just to get HD games. This pricing is unreasonable. I have already spent a lot of money just for the HD equipment and you are now going to charge an additional $99? Did you even plan to include any discounts to subscribers who are already paying for the HD package like myself? It seems like I should not see this additional charge since I am already paying for HD.

Well, I just went from "I'm seriously thinking about DTV and ST this year" to "Nope, not gonna happen yet again". This is a direct result of their new exclusive agreement with the NFL and I am not gonna support this specific monopoly. I was waiting anxiously for the time I could get the ST on cable or DISH, but had resigned myself when DTV signed the contract. The price increase and HD fee on top was the last straw in my decision making process though. I can drink a lot of beer and still buy tickets to the game when the Vikings visit the Lions for $320.
DirectTV's "exclusive" agreement isn't new. The previous company which DirectTV bought (forget the name) that originally started up satelite offering signed the first contract with the NFL that had a right of first refusal in it. So DirectTV pretty much will get a $ amount the NFL wants from them, and if they take it, they will then be the only service that can offer it. So until the NFL price becomes too prohibitive for DirectTV to stomach (but being it's their biggest money source, probably unlikely) the ticket will remain on DirectTV for some time... This last time round, the it was quite expensive for DirectTV to extend the years on the contract, so it's not surprising they are passing that cost down to the subscribers of their NFL package... if the rank and file keep paying whatever costs, the more likely DirectTV can keep using the additional money to keep their money making NFL contract going. Simple economics, which sux for any non-Direct TV users.

I'm just surprised they can do what they can, but from I have read, the contract with the NFL is pretty solidly worded... so the NFL screwed the pooch on signing this one. Probably figuring at the time that satelite TV wouldn't grow too big... oops!

For what's it's worth I sent an e-mail to one of the sports writers here in Orlando who is an avid fantasy player. He's going to talk to an editor about the price increase and see if they can get it into a column. Maybe a little bad press will at least get DTV's attention.

DirectTV's "exclusive" agreement isn't new. The previous company which DirectTV bought (forget the name) that originally started up satelite offering signed the first contract with the NFL that had a right of first refusal in it. So DirectTV pretty much will get a $ amount the NFL wants from them, and if they take it, they will then be the only service that can offer it. So until the NFL price becomes too prohibitive for DirectTV to stomach (but being it's their biggest money source, probably unlikely) the ticket will remain on DirectTV for some time... This last time round, the it was quite expensive for DirectTV to extend the years on the contract, so it's not surprising they are passing that cost down to the subscribers of their NFL package... if the rank and file keep paying whatever costs, the more likely DirectTV can keep using the additional money to keep their money making NFL contract going. Simple economics, which sux for any non-Direct TV users.

I'm just surprised they can do what they can, but from I have read, the contract with the NFL is pretty solidly worded... so the NFL screwed the pooch on signing this one. Probably figuring at the time that satelite TV wouldn't grow too big... oops!
Was it Primestar? (not positive) When I said new agreement, I meant the recently signed agreement (as in newly extended, which would have been a better choice of words.) It is interesting though - from what you say, DTV can tell the NFL that they can't go anywhere else as long as DTV is willing to pay whatever price the NFL states? That was a hell of a contract by the first company than, and shame on the NFL for signing it. I wonder what kinda money the NFL would have to ask for to get out of it? Personally I don't think the NFL wants out of it though- I think they would like to consolidate the media coverage to a few companies that they can then control (ie. cover it our way or we pull out). Nothing wrong with that per se, but it tends to suck for the consumer.

Well, I just went from "I'm seriously thinking about DTV and ST this year" to "Nope, not gonna happen yet again".  This is a direct result of their new exclusive agreement with the NFL and I am not gonna support this specific monopoly.  I was waiting anxiously for the time I could get the ST on cable or DISH, but had resigned myself when DTV signed the contract.  The price increase and HD fee on top was the last straw in my decision making process though.  I can drink a lot of beer and still buy tickets to the game when the Vikings visit the Lions for $320.

Was it Primestar? (not positive) When I said new agreement, I meant the recently signed agreement (as in newly extended, which would have been a better choice of words.) It is interesting though - from what you say, DTV can tell the NFL that they can't go anywhere else as long as DTV is willing to pay whatever price the NFL states? That was a hell of a contract by the first company than, and shame on the NFL for signing it. I wonder what kinda money the NFL would have to ask for to get out of it? Personally I don't think the NFL wants out of it though- I think they would like to consolidate the media coverage to a few companies that they can then control (ie. cover it our way or we pull out). Nothing wrong with that per se, but it tends to suck for the consumer.
The Networks (FOX, CBS, etc) have also had things in their contracts limiting the NFL to offer the Ticket only to satelite. They do not want their local affiliates to lose out. And they are the ones paying big $$$$$$.During the last round of DTV negotiations, the NFL was looking into PPV for all games. Getting rid of the locals and requiring ALL to pay. They ended up starting their own network first. But be prepared.

1. Don't forget to write your congressman. They love to roast these guys over the fire any time the word monopoly gets bandied about. Can't hurt, might even help.2. I'll be calling next week to express displeasure in the new stated policy. I was going to be cancelling HBO next Monday anyway (after the season finale of Deadwood). But now I will cite my cancellation of HBO as my first strike against the $99 HD fee, with a decision on whether or not to even get the Ticket and perhaps even cancel DirecTV entirely (after my 1 year committment is up) to follow.

Get used to it... and be prepared for the NFL Network to take everything in-house in the next TV deal. That's when the big bucks start rolling in. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread