What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

Sideways. Made me laugh. Made me thirsty. Good enough.Spanglish. Meh. Too much back and forth from the main characters. Would like to stick my weiner somewhere around the vicinity of Tea Leoni, however.

Saw 3 this weekend:

The Jacket - Pretty decent. Definitely kept me entertained, plus Keira Knightley. What's not to like? :thumbup:

Napolean Dynomite - I know, I know. It's AWESOME, EVERYONE LOVES IT. I think I saw it too late - too much hype. It was funny in parts. I didn't think, however, it was the LAUGH OUT LOUD RIOT people proclaim. :yawn:

The Hostage - Pretty entertaining, mindless, Bruce Willis action movie. Definitely worth a $4 rental. :thumbup:

Hitch ... didn't really care for it. Not so bad that I would actually label it "bad", just didn't think it was as funny as I thought it would be given Will Smith and Kevin James.

Boogeyman: Utter trash
I've heard this from a couple of people. Is there anyone out there that liked this?
It started out okay and had a good vibe going and then just fell apart at the end when it became a monster movie. I had high hopes for it, but the ending just took a lot from the experience.I bought Cursed this weekend. Not a bad flick, Ricci actually looked sort of good in this flick. It seemed to take alot from American Werewolf in London, but money well spent.

Hitch ... didn't really care for it. Not so bad that I would actually label it "bad", just didn't think it was as funny as I thought it would be given Will Smith and Kevin James.
agreed. mildly entertaining, but it didnt need to be 2 hours long. Oceans 12- I couldnt remember what had happened 2 hours after watching it. Terrible.

I've heard this from a couple of people. Is there anyone out there that liked this?
I'm about halfway through it. Not the worst movie ever, but not worth spending any rental $ on either. Many better horror flicks out there.I just saw Hitch with the wife, and was shocked at how cheesy I thought it was. It got rave reviews from a lot of people we know, but we thought it was lame and predictable.

Honestly it started out ok, nothing new but I liked the setting and back story. The rest of it was just awful. The scares were cheap and the effects were just terrible.

Oceans 12- I couldnt remember what had happened 2 hours after watching it. Terrible.
GREAT description of it. I have a feeling if I watched it again I might get it, but I have no desire to do that.

Oceans 12- I couldnt remember what had happened 2 hours after watching it.  Terrible.
GREAT description of it. I have a feeling if I watched it again I might get it, but I have no desire to do that.
Enjoyed the first one, but O12 just drug on and on and on and on and on...

It started out okay and had a good vibe going and then just fell apart at the end when it became a monster movie. I had high hopes for it, but the ending just took a lot from the experience.I bought Cursed this weekend. Not a bad flick, Ricci actually looked sort of good in this flick. It seemed to take alot from American Werewolf in London, but money well spent.
I watched Cursed this weekend, and I didn't even think it was worth renting! When the girl was CGI transforming into the wolf at the end of the movie, I was laughing and thinking that 20 years later and AWIL still had a better wolf transformation."Hitch" - Meh... Smith was good for the part, but the guy that played Albert (Kevin James?) made that movie watchable. AND of course Eva looked hot as hell :thumbup:

Ocean's 12 - boring.

Boogeyman - Not worth renting, but it was better than Cursed :P

Hostage - a fun entertaining movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

about to watch "The Jacket" right now.

I liked it. :bag: Admittedly the end wasn't that good, but I thought it was kinda creepy and had some great camera work.

I thought The Machinist was great. :thumbup:

and I liked The Life Aquatic, but I'm sure it's a love it/hate it type movie

Meet the ####ers - Make sure you see Meet the Parents first..I found it twice as funny as hubby who hadn't seen the first one.Jersey Girl - decent, glad I didnt pay to see it in the theatreBad Santa - Better than I expected, not a Billy Bob fan but it was funny.Mr Deeds - not Sandlers best but ok since it was alright for the whole family.National Lampoons Van Wilder - very funnyOut For a Kill - Don't waste your time...worst movie ever

If you want to rent a horror movie, try "Devour" instead of "Cursed" or "Boogeyman". It's a low budget movie, but you'll recognize some of the actors and it's entertaining and definitely a lot better than the 2 aformentioned movies."The Machinist" is worth renting, just b/c Christian Bale's performance was outstanding.

Saw three this weekend, first two were rentals. Hitch -- mildly amusing but disappointing. Ridiculous plot conflict that could have been resolved by the characters simply talking to each other, combined with stuff happening that does not in real life (movie star falls for nebbish), saved only by some comic takes by Will Smith. Yes, Eva was nice to look at. Thought "How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days" was much better constructed. The Jacket -- liked it a lot. Nice suspense and the scary parts are the psychological kind, which are much more effective than gore fests. Wasn't such a fan of Brody in "The Piano" but he was good in this. Keira Knightley and Jennifer Jason Leigh were v. good too. Batman Begins -- really liked this one. I think it was the best at least since the first. Highly recommended. Liam Neeson gets to play the oracle role better than in Star Wars I; Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Rutger Hauer give it a lot more gravity than the earlier Batman movies. After seeing American Psycho I was guessing Christian Bale would not disappoint in this role and he was up to it. Am curious whether War of the Worlds can stand up to this challenge for top entertaining movie of the summer.

If you want to rent a horror movie, try "Devour" instead of "Cursed" or "Boogeyman". It's a low budget movie, but you'll recognize some of the actors and it's entertaining and definitely a lot better than the 2 aformentioned movies.

"The Machinist" is worth renting, just b/c Christian Bale's performance was outstanding.
A good friend of mine from high school (Jensen Ackles) is the star of that movie. Still haven't seen it.

"The Machinist" is worth renting, just b/c Christian Bale's performance was outstanding.
I agree. It probably wouldn't have been as good without an actor so committed to the role. Amazing and shocking performance by Bale. It was filmed in Barcelona btw, not Los Angeles.

Team America World Police - Outrageous, as expected. Pretty funny.

Super Troopers, Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle - I was pleasanty surprised by both of those. Funny as ####.

The Village - GB low expectations. Not as horrible as I expected.

Saw - Above average horror flick.

Troy, Oceans Twelve - :sleep:

House of Flying Daggers - I liked it, my wife walked out after about 30 minutes. I thought it was better than Crouching Tiger, as good as Hero.

Hostage and Batman Begins - Both were OK, i enjoyed watching them, but will probably never watch either again.(and i am the type of guy who will watch movies repeatedly if they are good)

It seems like I've been on a run of movies that were either disappointing, boring of just plain bad.The Machinist, In Good Company and Be Cool are sitting on the TV at the moment. I think the Machinist will probably be the best one. Be Cool wasn't that good. I felt like they made the movie so John & Uma could dance one more time on screen.Suspect Zero was ok.. Sideways and Closer were disappointing.Ocean's Twelve was abysmal.The Incredibles better than I could've imagined.

Secondhand Lions - Probably a good flick for JB and his kids. Not for me. Don't waste your time if you're a fellow pirate.

The Pacifier -- Watched this with the family last night. It was good for some light humor. About what I expected.

Phantom of the Opera - OK. If you liked the play, you'll like the movie. It's pretty much the same thing. Emmy Rossum is hot.Hitch - Decent. Some good laughs, but the big misunderstanding was stupid.Dr. Strangelove - Hi-freaking-larious. Hadn't ever seen it before.

Saw - Above average horror flick.
I thought it was a fantastic plot idea, but the writing, and more importantly, the acting, was horrid.
:goodposting: Cary Ewles was awful. His acting was completely over the top. The only time he doesn't look out of place in a movie when he's cast in a role where he can dance around in little tights while sporting a pencil thin mustache.

Last edited by a moderator:
Napolean Dynomite: It was okay but not as good as I had been led to believe it would be.

Primer: :confused: This movie definitely would benefit from a directors cut where they include the material that allows this movie to make sense.

Edit to add a few comments on other films mentioned:

Saw: Good idea, poor execution. Whoever decided to cast The Dread Pirate Roberts in this film should be banished to the Fireswamp.

The Jacket: Surprisingly good. Not great, but well worth a viewing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spanglish - It had a "feel good" story. I liked it, but thought it ended awfully fast. It took awhile for the story to develop. My favorite dialogue scene from the movie was...

"Don't go there Mom, because I will go there and you know where there is.

Final Destination 2 - I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. :thumbup:

Swimming Pool - Awful. Just Awful. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Shallow Grave - I couldn't stand it. Hated the characters. :thumbdown:

Lemony Snickets.... - Not bad. I enjoyed it. :thumbup:

Memento - Really enjoyed it. :thumbup:

Saw Ocean's Twelve last week. Couldnt bring myself to turn it off, as I kept expecting it to improve...it did not. :thumbdown: Watched In Good Company this past weekend. Was alright. Funny in spots. Unfortunately, a tad predictable. Something like 22.5 stars out of 4 for me.

The Machinist took a rather normal concept and made it very interesting. I would recommend it to those who like darker movies (Seven, Fight Club)

Users who are viewing this thread