What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duce Staley's knees (1 Viewer)

GreedoShotFirst

Footballguy
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...ttis/index.html

"This year, he (Bettis) may be leaned upon even earlier. Staley skipped practice on Wednesday, and a team source said he is strongly contemplating having arthroscopic surgery to drain fluid from both knees -- meaning Bettis likely would hit the ground running once the regular season begins."

Hello, anyone paying attention to this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bettis is way up the ladder on age & workload.

Could PIT be in the market for a RB?

Calling MIA...calling DEN...

This is interesting because I was wondering who the RB3 is in Pittsburgh.Staley is getting oldBettis is oldThese 2 could easily miss a lot of time this season. Who would be able to run the ball here?

This is interesting because I was wondering who the RB3 is in Pittsburgh.

Staley is getting old

Bettis is old

These 2 could easily miss a lot of time this season. Who would be able to run the ball here?
Verron Haynes (3RB/FB), Willie Parker, Noah Herron, John KuhnThat's who they have on the squad at the moment.

This is interesting because I was wondering who the RB3 is in Pittsburgh.

Staley is getting old

Bettis is old

These 2 could easily miss a lot of time this season. Who would be able to run the ball here?
Always thought that Veron Hayes had a little burst. Was a good 3rd down back last year and wouldn't be surprised if he got more carries.

Always thought that Veron Hayes had a little burst.
Yeah, but he gets hurt by a mild breeze. Haynes is not the answer.Willie Parker looks good, real good. Until he shows he can't do it, I am thinking this kid could be a BIG surprise for the Steelers if given an opportunity. They gave him some extended playing time late last season against a stingy Buffalo defense and all Parker did was hang 100+ rushing yards on them.

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselved here. This isn't a season ending injury to Staley, right? It is August 5, I think he will be ok come the regular season...and if he does miss some time, Bettis is the short term answer.

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselved here. This isn't a season ending injury to Staley, right? It is August 5, I think he will be ok come the regular season...and if he does miss some time, Bettis is the short term answer.
of course we're getting ahead of ourselves. It's not even pre-season yet. What the hell else are we suppossed to do with our time??

Yeah, but he gets hurt by a mild breeze. Haynes is not the answer.Willie Parker looks good, real good. Until he shows he can't do it, I am thinking this kid could be a BIG surprise for the Steelers if given an opportunity. They gave him some extended playing time late last season against a stingy Buffalo defense and all Parker did was hang 100+ rushing yards on them.
:goodposting: thx

Of Course Staley will be back, however Pittsburgh fans have seen Staley's true colors already. The guy is always dealing with injuries. Clearly Pittsburgh is a team that will be looking for a RB in the near future. Whether a guy like Parker is given a fair chance, who knows? But I like what I've seen of him so far, and Cowher seems to like the kid.

This is distressing.Staley looked SO good running the ball last year when he was healthy; with his injury history, this could easily be a harbinger of things to come.Willie Parker becomes a VERY live deep sleeper, IMO.

This is distressing.

Staley looked SO good running the ball last year when he was healthy; with his injury history, this could easily be a harbinger of things to come.

Willie Parker becomes a VERY live deep sleeper, IMO.
agreed.especially about mid-season, if the Bus is carrying the load.

If it's just a scope to drain the knee(s), I wouldn't see him being out of action for longer than 2-3 weeks. If the docs aren't cleaning out any cartilage, or doing any repairs the recovery time for this type of procedure is generally pretty quick. I remember Joe being big on "Fast" Willie Parker last year in an update or something so he may be worth a late-round flyer, especially given the histories of Duce and Bus lately.

If it's just a scope to drain the knee(s), I wouldn't see him being out of action for longer than 2-3 weeks. If the docs aren't cleaning out any cartilage, or doing any repairs the recovery time for this type of procedure is generally pretty quick.

I remember Joe being big on "Fast" Willie Parker last year in an update or something so he may be worth a late-round flyer, especially given the histories of Duce and Bus lately.
Parker has shown good speed and decent vision in a limited role. However, time will tell if he's an every down back. He's certainly not a sledgehammer in the classic Steeler RB mold... in fact, much has been made of his 100+ yd performance against Buffalo but IIRC, he was held pretty well in check most of the game until ripping off a run of about 30-40 yds in the 4th quarter. Of course, if he can pop one for 30-40 yards every game, he'll do nicely, but I can imagine if Parker gets any extennded number of starts, you're liable to see 100 yds and a TD one week and 42 yards on 19 carries the next.

I can imagine if Parker gets any extennded number of starts, you're liable to see 100 yds and a TD one week and 42 yards on 19 carries the next.
So in other words you're saying he could play on the level of a Clinton Portis? :excited: Portis in 2004:

29/148

20/69

23/94

20/58

25/53

36/171

17/70

34/147

17/81

17/37

6/17

31/148

23/80

35/110

10/32

Even the best RB's can't put up 100 yards and TD every week.

:goodposting: from the deep sleeper article, click here

I can imagine if Parker gets any extennded number of starts, you're liable to see 100 yds and a TD one week and 42 yards on 19 carries the next.
So in other words you're saying he could play on the level of a Clinton Portis? :excited: Portis in 2004:

29/148

20/69

23/94

20/58

25/53

36/171

17/70

34/147

17/81

17/37

6/17

31/148

23/80

35/110

10/32

Even the best RB's can't put up 100 yards and TD every week.
I think those numbers there would represent a yardage upside if he were to get 16 starts, yes. However, his TD numbers would be low because Bettis will see all the action inside the 10. 1200 yards and 2-3 TDs would be a reachable number if he had 16 starts.

Dear God,

My only starting running back in Misfits V is LT2. Should Bettis and Staley go down, please let Fast Willie Parker get the starting job. I really need this one. Thanks buddy.

Give my best to the Missus,

val

Pure speculation here, but what about Ricky Williams? With the Steelers having a week 4 bye and Ricky allowed to return week 5 I can see a deal getting worked out.

Pure speculation here, but what about Ricky Williams? With the Steelers having a week 4 bye and Ricky allowed to return week 5 I can see a deal getting worked out.
Not a chance. The Steelers avoid players with off-the-field baggage like the plague. Ricky's got more than anyone in the league right now... he's more likely to end up anywhere but Pittsburgh.

This is one of the worst matchups between player and team I have ever heard. Ricky Williams is the antithesis of what Pittsburgh stands for.

I'll bet my house and car that this will never happen.edited to add complete guessing: although, if we are looking for a one year solution, and DFoster and EShelton work out in CAR, I think Pgh could do a lot worse than Nick Goings until they draft their RBotF.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is sad news fgor me - I actually have had Staley taregtted as a very nice value RB3. A split backfield in Pitt doesn't work as I wouldn't want to roster both Duce and Jerome.

:goodposting: from the deep sleeper article, click here
:thumbup: I specifically remember reading that Cecil.

with both bettis and staley sitting yesterday, haynes worked with the first team in the goal line drill, and parker worked with the 2nd team.

So, just thinking out loud....who are the best RB FAs out there now? ChatmanI dont think Amos Z has a home (although they wouldn't bring him back)Who else?

The Dolphins are sitting on a basketball squad full of RB's after last seasons buy anyone that looks like a RB, my coin would be on William Green in Cleveland being shopped for a 2nd rounder. :thumbup:

Depending on Droughns - if he really is not looking good the Browns will not let Green go - if Droughns can be a suitable backup in CLE (or the starter for that matter) Green is very much a possibility - And I'd be ecstatic - having spent 22% of my salary cap on his ### in one league in the hope that between him and Suggs I'd have a solid starter...

So, just thinking out loud....who are the best RB FAs out there now?

Chatman

I dont think Amos Z has a home (although they wouldn't bring him back)

Who else?
Chatman would be interesting.William Green would be a possibility. Imaging WG running wild on the Brownies twice a year, he'd love it!

my coin would be on William Green in Cleveland being shopped for a 2nd rounder.

:thumbup:
Which GM do you think is smoking enough crack to deal a second rounder for William Green? I can't see anyone being able to part with anything more than a 6th rounder, IF that....

The Dolphins are sitting on a basketball squad full of RB's after last seasons buy anyone that looks like a RB, my coin would be on William Green in Cleveland being shopped for a 2nd rounder.

:lmao:

The Dolphins are sitting on a basketball squad full of RB's after last seasons buy anyone that looks like a RB, my coin would be on William Green in Cleveland being shopped for a 2nd rounder.

You're kidding, right? please?I'd let him come practice for a conditional 5th or 6th rounder....but a 2nd? :11:

You're kidding, right? please?I'd let him come practice for a conditional 5th or 6th rounder....but a 2nd? :11:
agree with this - Green would not command as much as Droughns did which was a fourth if memory serves

Depends on what the Steelers are after. How long is Staley out? If he's only out until mid-season (or less), I think they stand pat with their current group.Just this year?Every down runner or limited carries?As of now, they could sign (in addition to those mentioned):Hearst (FA)or trade for:Goings CAR (however, given the inuries that occur there, I doubt they'd trade)Long shot:A-train (Dallas has good backs & could afford the trade right now)

damn, the eagles got rid of that dude at the right moment
This is NOTHING new.How'd Hugh Douglas, Jeremiah Trotter, Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent look the year after they left the Eagles?

Former Eagles players are CURSED, why aren't teams getting this? Andy Reid & co are DEAD on with their evaluations of their players.

NFL GMs/coaches take note. If Andy Reid lets a guy go, DON'T EVEN WASTE TIME CONSIDERING HIM.

I think Pittsburgh will be much more inclined to sign a Ty Wheatley or Eddie George, both of whom are bruising runners in the mold of Bettis and Staley, then to trade any draft pick for Green or something. If they wre really goign to go the trade router, I'd expect them to be look for Musa Smith (but divisional trades are uncomon) or Najeh Davenport. But Pittsburgh really likes ot build through the draft, so I find it hard to believe that they'd part with a pick b/c of Staley's knee.That said, Pittsburgh is going to have a very tough time winning the division again. Between losing Burress, Ward's holdout, Roethlisberger's non-helmeted numb skull (maybe he doesn't wear a helmet b/c he can't find one big enough to fit his swelled head), and now Staley's knee issues, I think Pittsburgh's offense is in more than a little disarray. Can you imagine if Ward holds out, and they open the season with Randle-El and Cedric Wilson as the starters? They'd face eight in the box every single down.

Ricky isn't allowed to return in week five...he's allowed to return in week six.

damn, the eagles got rid of that dude at the right moment
This is NOTHING new.How'd Hugh Douglas, Jeremiah Trotter, Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent look the year after they left the Eagles?

Former Eagles players are CURSED, why aren't teams getting this? Andy Reid & co are DEAD on with their evaluations of their players.

NFL GMs/coaches take note. If Andy Reid lets a guy go, DON'T EVEN WASTE TIME CONSIDERING HIM.
:mellow: Staley showed tremendous power and burst when he played last year. The fact that he is injured... again is not suprising. The Eagles will fall apart at somepoint especially with the mess that no one wants to acknowledge right now because they have been oh so successful. Staley is a good fit for Pitt when healthy and at the begining of last year it looked as if the Eagles made a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread