What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Jones, WR, Tenn. (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
EDITED AGAIN TO AVOID CONFUSION -- THIS THREAD IS FROM LAST YEAR TWO YEARS AGO ---

I've been hearing about this kid all throughout camps, including in scouting reports like this one:

SCOUTING REPORT: WR Brandon Jones has arguably been the most impressive rookie so far this offeason. Jones (6-1, 212) has a chance to make an immediate impact because the Titans have little depth at the position. Jones is a big, fast, explosive receiver who runs good routes. He's shown the ability to stretch the field, and he is good about dropping his weight when he comes out of a break. Jones needs to become more polished on his intermediate routes, however, and will have to work more at getting off the jam.
Having finally had a chance to watch this kid in action during preseason games, I have to say I am super impressed. There is something about him that makes me think he will be a very special WR, and I will go out on a limb and say that I think he will have the best numbers of his WR class this year.There are two things I especially like about him.

1. Situation.

On paper, his situation is about as good as you can expect. Think Anquan Boldin 2 years ago. A changing offense with solid veteran QB play but no real entrenched go-to WR group to speak of. Yes, Bennett was solid last year, but I don't think he is the answer. Calico has done his best trainer's table impression for how long now? I see a potent pass offense with room for someone to step up.

2. "It" factor.

This one is tougher to describe. When watching the kid in the games, he looked incredibly poised and confident out there. He looked very smooth, glided through his routes effortlessly the way a guy like T.O. does. He just looked way too comfortable out there for me to believe he is a rookie. He has that same "men among boys" quality that Boldin possessed his first year.

Bottom line is I very much like what I see from this kid. Glancing back through his stats in the preseason (for whatever that is worth) he certainly appears to be involved in the offense.

What are others' thoughts on Jones?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been hearing about this kid all throughout camps, including in scouting reports like this one:

SCOUTING REPORT: WR Brandon Jones has arguably been the most impressive rookie so far this offeason. Jones (6-1, 212) has a chance to make an immediate impact because the Titans have little depth at the position. Jones is a big, fast, explosive receiver who runs good routes. He's shown the ability to stretch the field, and he is good about dropping his weight when he comes out of a break. Jones needs to become more polished on his intermediate routes, however, and will have to work more at getting off the jam.
Having finally had a chance to watch this kid in action during preseason games, I have to say I am super impressed. There is something about him that makes me think he will be a very special WR, and I will go out on a limb and say that I think he will have the best numbers of his WR class this year.There are two things I especially like about him.

1. Situation.

On paper, his situation is about as good as you can expect. Think Anquan Boldin 2 years ago. A changing offense with solid veteran QB play but no real entrenched go-to WR group to speak of. Yes, Bennett was solid last year, but I don't think he is the answer. Calico has done his best trainer's table impression for how long now? I see a potent pass offense with room for someone to step up.

2. "It" factor.

This one is tougher to describe. When watching the kid in the games, he looked incredibly poised and confident out there. He looked very smooth, glided through his routes effortlessly the way a guy like T.O. does. He just looked way too comfortable out there for me to believe he is a rookie. He has that same "men among boys" quality that Boldin possessed his first year.

Bottom line is I very much like what I see from this kid. Glancing back through his stats in the preseason (for whatever that is worth) he certainly appears to be involved in the offense.

I like him quite a bit as a very late sleeper. They have 3 rookies there and he was not the highest drafted but you hit the nail on the head at least as far as I am concerned. He just doesn't "look" like a rookie and the job is wide open. You can't beat his value. I picked him up in the 14th round of a 10 team keeper league and one of the guys (someone who is always in the playoffs) actually asked who he was. Course this was one night before the Titans' 2nd preseason game so I am sure he knows who he is now. I just hope he continues to improve and wins the job.edited for spelling.

8 Targets (6 Mcnair, 2 Volek) All 8 in the first half. Receptions 5 (3 McNair, 2 Volek). Of his 5 receptions, All went for 1st downs, and 4 were on 3rd down pass plays. The previous game was 1 catch on 1 targetI think your right on with the 'IT' factor. Assumming he can nail down the #2 WR position and keep Calico on the sidelines, a new offense, veteran QB who has lost his goto receiver, you never know. However, it was against a depleted ATL defense, missing 5 starters. I would like to see him start another game, before I target him for a late round redraft pick.

1. Situation.

2. "It" factor.

I like him quite a bit as a very late sleeper. They have 3 rookies there and he was not the highest drafted but you hit the nail on the head at least as far as I am concerned. He just doesn't "look" like a rookie and the job is wide open. You can't beat his value. I picked him up in the 14th round of a 10 team keeper league and one of the guys (someone who is always in the playoffs) actually asked who he was. Course this was one night before the Titans' 2nd preseason game so I am sure he knows who he is now. I just hope he continues to improve and wins the job.edited for spelling.
From what I have seen of him thus far I have to imagine that they will have a very difficult time keeping him off the field. Can any Titans homers tell us what the local word is on this kid?

1. Situation.

2. "It" factor.

From what I have seen of him thus far I have to imagine that they will have a very difficult time keeping him off the field. Can any Titans homers tell us what the local word is on this kid?
Again, as Ive repeatedly said since May, Jones will take over the #2 job this year in TEN. While I think Calico sucks, it has nothing to do with his ability and everything to do with Jones'.

I have to admit I was very impressed with what I saw of Jones 2 nights ago. Hard to believe he looks so polished after playing so sparingly in college.I'm a Courtney Roby owner in a dynasty league with 25 roster spots. I drafted him ahead of Jones in the rookie draft back in April :( .Any word on Roby's prognosis?? If Jones starts opposite Bennett, could Roby serve as the #3 wideout??? Not to hijack or anything, just a few questions.

He dropped a lot of balls at OU. He never tried too hard and was the 3/4 receiver his senior year because of it. I like him, but I will laugh very hard if he plays a lot as a rookie in the NFL.

Not a Titans' homer, but a Sooners' homer.Just don't agree with the "it" comments. "It" is what Brandon lacks. He has all the tools.He didn't play sparingly throughout his career at OU. He was the unquestioned #1 WR throughout the early part of 2003 before Mark Clayton ripped the role away from him. Then in 2004, Mark Bradley took his starting job away.Jones has all the talent in the world, but has lapses in concentration. On paper, he's more of an NFL WR than both Clayton and Bradley. But he doesn't have "it". He certainly has potential, but I have a hard time believing that he'll avoid mistakes that will put him on the bench.

(KFFL) Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans WR Brandon Jones (shoulder) did not practice Sunday, Aug. 21, due to a shoulder injury.

1. Situation.

2. "It" factor.

I have grabbed this kid in all 3 of my leagues this year. I should have written more about him in my WR tier thread. I see him in a very good situation. For thos of us not sold on the McNair to Bennett hook up I would invite you to look at this 6'1 210lb WR. Calico cannot stay healthy and while Chow has said there will be a short passing game they will try and stretch the field...I think this kid has a great shot to make some major waves.I just WW and picked him up in my dynasty/keeper league...didn't have room but I made room for him. he really might surprise some people this year.

1. Situation.

2. "It" factor.

Nice post Otis. I am beginning to see the light on this guy. I have yet to see him play so I'll reserve final judgement until then, likely next week. Anyway, how do we resolve the difference in the "IT" factor? Seems there is some disparity in opinions on him.

Nice post Otis. I am beginning to see the light on this guy. I have yet to see him play so I'll reserve final judgement until then, likely next week. Anyway, how do we resolve the difference in the "IT" factor? Seems there is some disparity in opinions on him.
I think this is a pretty subjective thing so the only way to come to any conclusion for yourself is to watch the kid play. GB the NFL Network. They have been replaying the preseason games during the day. I've see the Titans game twice already...

I'm with you on a couple things here, Otis. First, GB the NFL Network and TiVO! Watched this game 2x last night. This guy really had the look of the go-to guy for McNair. That's a very nice position to be in, considering it made Mason a good WR1 for many years. I was very impressed with his ability to get off the line, adjust for the ball inflight, make the tough catches, and mostly just that inate ability to know the exact angle and location of the defender. Don't know how to best describe it, but he had several catches where he just ran the route exactly right to set the defender up, then knew how to step out/around/through the defender after making the catch.I'm a bit concerned about the comments coming fro OU fans. The NFL is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league/business. If he doesn't have it in him to continue to work, every day, every practice, every game....he won't ever live up to the potential he's already shown. It's a red flag, imo. A big one.With all that said. Watch the game again, and watch Roby. That kid is doing everything right. Same thigns Jones showed, but he really impressed (me, anyway) in that 2nd game. He got his bell RUNG on that kick-off return early. Then still made 2 or 3 very tough catches where he KNEW he was about to get crushed by the defender. Stayed focues, looked the ball in, and took the hit. He ran a couple deep outs and deep comebacks that were just dead perfect and totally undefendable (word?). If Jones has work-ethic problems, Roby is someone to watch. I thought Roydell Williams looked pretty good too. Had a few drops (tough catches, so doubt they are listed as drops), but looked like a nice big target and does a good job of opening up.Anyway, I'm really, really starting to warm up on McNair. These rookie WR's looked like 2nd/3rd year guys in that game. What I'm watching for now is consistency. If they can look that good this weeks game, I'm definitely going to look at nabbing a few of them late (in my deeper leagues). The only thing I'm doing for sure, atm, is bumping Bennett down a bit. I was a bit too high on him, and I just think McNair might pick out either Jones or Roby as his next "guy." We'll see.

Good post Indy, thanks for the comments.I agree that this Roby kid looks good too. All three of these rooks are damn solid, and I think this incoming Tenn WR crop will make some noise. As a group these guys are underrated IMO.

http://www.titansonline.com/news/titans_ne....php?PRKey=2952

comments on Roby and Jones there.

Our three rookie receivers right now have 17 catches in two games, and all of them have a reception over 30 yards. They’ve done a nice job. Brandon (Jones) is strong and physical. He banged his shoulder a little bit, was sore but he just played right through it. It was good to see.

snip

We may have a couple of guys miss practice for a day or so, but really nothing’s that going to set us back. Gregg Guenther had a mild concussion, so we’ll have to evaluate that in the next day or so. Brandon’s (Jones) shoulder is sore. He could’ve finished the game, but he’s a little sore today. I thought he was going to need most of the week to recover from the knee last week, and he missed one day and came back. He’ll be able to practice.

I'm thinking Fisher is appreciating his toughness/resillience over Calico. 'nother thing going for him.

"Hey, I'm Brandon Jones ... I play for the Titans ... I went to school at OU ... I like football." Sorry, that's the best impression I could muster on short notice. I'll work on it.

He reminds me of a poor man's Anquan Boldin. I guess that makes him similar to David Givens. He has good size and all-around skills, but I don't think he'll ever be elite.

He reminds me of a poor man's Anquan Boldin. I guess that makes him siliar to David Givens. He has good size and all-around skills, but I don't think he'll ever be elite.
good call. definitely a guy who gets by on toughness more than pure talent. the oklahoma WR coach must be doing something right to produce 3 gems in one draft. im already on the travis wilson bandwagon for next years rookie drafts.

I like him and drafted him late on one dynasty league. But there's other youth in TEN that I like about as much. Word early on was that Jones was the most NFL ready of the trio, so he better make the most of any opportunities he gets.Anything could happen, and I would take him over Roby and Williams in a redraft, but I doubt I would take any of them.

1. Situation.

2. "It" factor.

Again, as Ive repeatedly said since May, Jones will take over the #2 job this year in TEN. While I think Calico sucks, it has nothing to do with his ability and everything to do with Jones'.
Just for those who have him floating around in their dynasty leagues, Brandon Jones has already displaced Calico as TEN's starting WR across from Bennett

Targets for week twoJones 6Calico 2unofficial scan of the play by play.edit to add two more targets to Jones...

Paging COlin....paging COlin, homer input would be appreciated. I picked up Jones as my WR6 in a dynasty league and would be interested in hearing anything you have to offer.TIA

Just for those who have him floating around in their dynasty leagues, Brandon Jones has already displaced Calico as TEN's starting WR across from Bennett
:confused:
Can we get a link diesel?
I watched the game.EDIT TO ADD:

If you ever have a question like this about anyone, look at the NFL.com gamebooks.

Titans Starters last week:

Offense

WR 81 B.Jones

LT 72 B.Hopkins

LG 69 Z.Piller

C 77 J.Hartwig

RG 75 B.Olson

RT 71 M.Roos

TE 88 E.Kinney

WR 83 D.Bennett

QB 9 S.McNair

TE 84 B.Troupe

RB 29 C.Brown

Defense

LE 93 K.Vanden Bosch

LT 90 R.Starks

RT 92 A.Haynesworth

RE 98 A.Odom

LLB 59 P.Sirmon

MLB 55 B.Kassell

RLB 53 K.Bulluck

LCB 26 A.Woolfolk

DB 40 J.Sandy

SS 25 Tank Williams

FS 28 L.Thompson

Paging COlin....paging COlin, homer input would be appreciated.

I picked up Jones as my WR6 in a dynasty league and would be interested in hearing anything you have to offer.

TIA
HK, Im about the biggest Titans homer on this board, along with WMI, BigReese and a couple others.

Ive said all along that Jones would displace Calico this season, though it surprises me that he did it so quickly. Calico is a waste.

Jones has looked very good, and looks to have a bright future in the league.

Colin believes Jones' value is somewhere south of Peter Warrick's.

Edit to add: Any chance we get some of the guys who said Calico will be the #1 in TEN by the end of this year into the thread? :D

I picked up Jones as my WR6 in a dynasty league and would be interested in hearing anything you have to offer.

TIA
HK, Im about the biggest Titans homer on this board, along with WMI, BigReese and a couple others.

Ive said all along that Jones would displace Calico this season, though it surprises me that he did it so quickly. Calico is a waste.

Thanks, Jones got a lot of love on these boards in the pre-season, so I figured he was worth a flyer (you were probably one of the guys pimping him, if so...double thanks!) ....great news if he is the starter now.

TIA

Edit to add: Any chance we get some of the guys who said Calico will be the #1 in TEN by the end of this year into the thread? :D
Bennett -- a really valuable, good #2. Not effective as a #1.Calico -- vs. Baltimore he played sans knee brace. This is a very good sign. He made a couple of really nice catches, too. Great #3 to stretch the field. Hasn't dropped a pass to my knowledge, which was previously his rap.

Jones -- the guy really looks good. Fluid. CATCHES the ball. Good YAC. And, yes, the word is #2 over Calico.

Observations: Bennett would have more production as the #2, than #1. Move Jones to #1 and get what you can, then have Bennett at #2. The McNair really likes Jones, too. Now, if McNair goes down, Bennett's value will rise.

I have been on this bandwagon for awhile also, but as stated above even I'm suprised if he's truly the WR2 already. It'll be good to see if he gets the start again this weekend. Did Calico get banged up at all, in practice maybe??Keep watching this guys, as I really just get the feeling that McNair doesn't like/trust Bennett to be a WR1 / go-to guy. This may be a great pick-up in a few weeks if things keep developing between McNair and Jones.

Can you imagine how their wrs will look next year? I do believe Calico will gradually get better as the year progresses but I doubt he will catch B.Jones. I could see the Titans WRs able to be mentioned with the top 5 wr trios in the league two yearsExcuse the comparision of B.Jones reminds me a lot of D.Mason.The question is if he can develop into a number 1?

Can you imagine how their wrs will look next year? I do believe Calico will gradually get better as the year progresses but I doubt he will catch B.Jones. I could see the Titans WRs able to be mentioned with the top 5 wr trios in the league two years

Excuse the comparision of B.Jones reminds me a lot of D.Mason.

The question is if he can develop into a number 1?
:confused: I can't imagine a WR who reminds me less of Mason.

Mason 5'10", 190

Jones 6'1", 212

If anything, the way he runs and moves out there, Jones reminds me quite a bit of T.O.

Did Calico even get a chance this year?!
I think he is still limited by the injury - it was questionable whether he would ever have what he had pre-injury and it appears that he definitely has not fully recovered.Jones had an excellent training camp and looks to be the team's WR of the future. I like the kid a lot and drafted him in two leagues as a flyer WR.

Did Calico even get a chance this year?!
:ptts: Hard to get a chance when you aren't healthy and are a 3rd year project to begin with. He could produce a game here and there (like he's done in the past). But he's not ready to be a consistent threat obviously.

Between having 2 solid RB's, 2 solid pass catching TE's and Drew Bennett in the picture, the #2 here should of been a late round flier. Given Calico was a sleeper favorite, that late round flier was probably Troupe, Kinney or Jones. It is wait and see with all of them.

Everytime I've seen Jones on the field this year, he's been making an impact...In my opinion, STUD in the making. :thumbup: Get him now, if it's not too late, for your dynasty league.

Didn't get a chance to see the Titans'/Colts game...looking at the stats, McNair spread the ball around alot. Titan's homers?...Jones still #2? And who the heck is Bo Scaife?

At this point, I just really don't know what to make of Chow's O. Just seems to be content to NOT make any noise. Seems like the guys that get targets are making plays, but there just isn't anyone breaking out of the general malaise. Hoping this is just an adjustment period, but starting to lose hope for any Titan to make a significant impact (in FF terms). Still think Jones looks great whenever the action comes his way, just not happening; and really isn't for ANY of the Titan WR's.

Didn't get a chance to see the Titans'/Colts game...looking at the stats, McNair spread the ball around alot. Titan's homers?...Jones still #2? And who the heck is Bo Scaife?
Scaife is the #3 TE...6th round pick this year. Excellent pass catcher, and since the Titans offense is 70% TEs, they use 3.Jones is still the #2, and looked good. McNair missed him when open a couple times.

Roydell is about to bump Calico out of the #3 job.

The FBG post game write-up says Jones didn't play much in the second half when the Titans needed to air it out, but he was involved in the passing game in the first half and looked good. Anyone have any insight on why this happened? Seems like things should be the other way around...

Not sure why BJones wasn't involved in the 2nd half, but I agree he looked pretty good the few passes thrown his way. Had a great scrappy run-after-catch where he maintained his balance, spun and picked up about 6-7 more yards.Another poster mentioned it, he just seems to have "It", whatever it is. He has the looks of a special player in the making.

The FBG post game write-up says Jones didn't play much in the second half when the Titans needed to air it out, but he was involved in the passing game in the first half and looked good. Anyone have any insight on why this happened? Seems like things should be the other way around...
Id want to know who did the write up and if they actually watched the game.

We may be seeing the development of another NE type offense where any player may be featured any given week. I think any expectations for Jones for this year - and beyond - must be tempered until Chow's tendencies and preferences are clear. All the talent in the world isn't as important as having the opportunities to produce (i.e., targets).

Users who are viewing this thread