What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the value of the #1 overall selection (1 Viewer)

jurb26

Footballguy
Reading the other thread on various RBs got me thinking about this. I would assume that either R.Bush or L.Maroney will be the top picks in every dynasty league next year. Granted of course that something odd does not happen. What are these guys/picks really worth at this point in time though. Do most see a big difference in the value of the 2 players? In other words, would you be just as content with the #2 pick as you would the #1? What would you be willing to give up or expect to get in return for these picks?

I like Bush the best and I do see a difference in value, but others see it the opposite way so the general percieved value will be similar between the 1.1 and 1.2.I think if those 2 were involved in an initial dynasty draft they would go near the tail end of the 1st round in a 12 team league.So IMO the value of the 1.1 and 1.2 rookie pick is around a 5-10 ranked RB (Lamont Jordan, Steven Jackson, DD, etc). Very similar value to that grouping if you really want Bush or Maroney.Once they are drafted the team that has them won't give them up for anything outside of an LT or something, so you have to pay a ton right off the bat to get a shot at em.

I like Bush the best and I do see a difference in value, but others see it the opposite way so the general percieved value will be similar between the 1.1 and 1.2.

I think if those 2 were involved in an initial dynasty draft they would go near the tail end of the 1st round in a 12 team league.

So IMO the value of the 1.1 and 1.2 rookie pick is around a 5-10 ranked RB (Lamont Jordan, Steven Jackson, DD, etc). Very similar value to that grouping if you really want Bush or Maroney.

Once they are drafted the team that has them won't give them up for anything outside of an LT or something, so you have to pay a ton right off the bat to get a shot at em.
ROOKIES ARE OVER VALUED every year! Just look at this years class for example other then CADDALAC and Brown who wasn't a bust? And neither are RB-1 STATUS YET THOUGH cADDALAC HAS POTENTIONAL TO BE IF/ WHEN HE GETS HEALTHY!

I like Bush the best and I do see a difference in value, but others see it the opposite way so the general percieved value will be similar between the 1.1 and 1.2.

I think if those 2 were involved in an initial dynasty draft they would go near the tail end of the 1st round in a 12 team league.

So IMO the value of the 1.1 and 1.2 rookie pick is around a 5-10 ranked RB (Lamont Jordan, Steven Jackson, DD, etc). Very similar value to that grouping if you really want Bush or Maroney.

Once they are drafted the team that has them won't give them up for anything outside of an LT or something, so you have to pay a ton right off the bat to get a shot at em.
ROOKIES ARE OVER VALUED every year! Just look at this years class for example other then CADDALAC and Brown who wasn't a bust? And neither are RB-1 STATUS YET THOUGH cADDALAC HAS POTENTIONAL TO BE IF/ WHEN HE GETS HEALTHY!
That was painful to read. I mean damn, dude. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

So IMO the value of the 1.1 and 1.2 rookie pick is around a 5-10 ranked RB (Lamont Jordan, Steven Jackson, DD, etc).  Very similar value to that grouping if you really want Bush or Maroney.

That was painful to read. I mean damn, dude. :rolleyes:
:goodposting:

What do you think you'd have to give up to get Caddy or Ronnie in a dynasty league right now???I'd bet the owner of them woudn't take anything outside of a top 5-10 RB, which is what it will cost to get the 1.1 or 1.2 in this coming years rookie draft.

#1 pick next year is worth more than all but the top 12-15 RBs, the elite WRs (chad, holt, TO, randy, steve smith), and Manning/Mcnabb. Same as the formula was posted ( i think by beto?) would dictate - about a mid 2nd in an initial dynasty draft.

If I had the #1 pick, I wouldn't give it away for many players... I'll see if I can make a list.LTAlexanderJamesCadillacSJacksonMcGaheeMossChad JohnsonManningMaybe:McNabbHoltKJonesRBrownThere seems to be a dearth of solid dynasty RBs right now.

So IMO the value of the 1.1 and 1.2 rookie pick is around a 5-10 ranked RB (Lamont Jordan, Steven Jackson, DD, etc).  Very similar value to that grouping if you really want Bush or Maroney.

Cadillac Williams is no Reggie Bush.

What do you think you'd have to give up to get Caddy or Ronnie in a dynasty league right now???I'd bet the owner of them woudn't take anything outside of a top 5-10 RB, which is what it will cost to get the 1.1 or 1.2 in this coming years rookie draft.
:goodposting: Usually the guy drafting at #1 in a rookie dynasty draft has horrible RB's. Why would he trade a future stud unless it was an incredible offer? At that point it is too expensive for the risk involved to trade for a guy like RBush before the start of the season. You may be better served to wait until mid-year and make a move. At least at that point you will have a better idea if he will be a stud.

How about the 1.01 next year or Larry Johnson?
RBs like LJ, Portis, JJones, Westbrook (in PPR leagues) are much tougher calls.also, add Lamont Jordan to the list of RBs that are worth more than the #1.

In my dynasty league this past offseason I had the #2 overall pick, and I wanted to make sure I got Caddy. I traded Deuce Mcallister for the #1 overall pick. I then drafted Ronnie and Caddy. At the time of the trade I probably should have gotten a bit more value, as everyone was so high on Deuce, but I really wanted the top 2 backs. My team was of course 2nd last so I wasnt exactly set up for a championship run this year.

In my dynasty league this past offseason I had the #2 overall pick, and I wanted to make sure I got Caddy. I traded Deuce Mcallister for the #1 overall pick. I then drafted Ronnie and Caddy. At the time of the trade I probably should have gotten a bit more value, as everyone was so high on Deuce, but I really wanted the top 2 backs. My team was of course 2nd last so I wasnt exactly set up for a championship run this year.
I think that trade was about right. Deuce in the preseason was ranked around #6 RB and is still relatively young (injury aside). If you were in contention, I doubt you would have done that deal.

:rubs hands together:Dynasty owners that give up on rooks in the first 7 weeks of the season = good eatins' :thumbup:

So basically you can get Brown or Cadillac - two guys who have proven at least a little, for the same price as you'd pay before the draft? :no:

If so, rookie picks are insanely overpriced, and I'll always take a young proven player instead.

I like 3 backs this year. Deangelo Williams, Maroney and Reggie Bush. Maroney will probably carry the highest grade. I'm not real clear on what teams would take them. 49ers? Vikings? Jets? Because of that I would tend to value the #1 pick a little below average this upcoming season.

I like 3 backs this year. Deangelo Williams, Maroney and Reggie Bush. Maroney will probably carry the highest grade. I'm not real clear on what teams would take them. 49ers? Vikings? Jets? Because of that I would tend to value the #1 pick a little below average this upcoming season.
Just remember, a few years back, when people thought Minnesota was a good spot, and therefore Michael Bennett was better than LT?

I like 3 backs this year.  Deangelo Williams, Maroney and Reggie Bush.  Maroney will probably carry the highest grade.  I'm not real clear on what teams would take them.  49ers?  Vikings?  Jets?  Because of that I would tend to value the #1 pick a little below average this upcoming season.
Just remember, a few years back, when people thought Minnesota was a good spot, and therefore Michael Bennett was better than LT?
Or this year when Arrington was drafted way too high because of his situation and the lack of competition in Arizona. Talent wins out, situations change.

I traded Walker for what i'm 99% sure will be the #1 pick in our rookie/FA draft next year. This team is 0-7, and has little chance of winning more than 1 game this year. I think seeing how Walker is coming back from a serious injury and may not have Farve there next year, is clearly worth moving him for Bush. Don't you guys agree?

Or this year when Arrington was drafted way too high because of his situation and the lack of competition in Arizona. Talent wins out, situations change.
Or Deuce, or Eddie George over Lawrence Phillips, or Emmitt Smith over Blair Thomas.

I traded Walker for what i'm 99% sure will be the #1 pick in our rookie/FA draft next year. This team is 0-7, and has little chance of winning more than 1 game this year. I think seeing how Walker is coming back from a serious injury and may not have Farve there next year, is clearly worth moving him for Bush. Don't you guys agree?
Very nice.

It all severely depends on which team drafts which running back. If Reggie Bush goes to Arizona, I would pass on him and go after Maroney unless Arizona completely revamps that line next year. The situation plays a huge effect into which back will be successful or not.

Let's be reallistic here. I don't think any of those guys would go 1st round in an initial dynasty draft very often, if at all.This year in initial dynasty drafts, Ronnie, Caddy, and Benson had ADP's in the early 3rd round coming out of what was regarded as being one of the best RB classes in recent history.

Likewise, dealing with the #1 rookie pick this early is VERY risky. For all we know, Bush or Maroney stay in school, and who knows where any of these guys end up. There certainly have been plenty of RBs the last few years drafted in the first round that ended up drafted into a grim situation where they were behind another young RB without much PT in the foreseeable future (Perry, LJ, Benson).

Javon Walker is an elite WR who was in the bunch with moss, to, cj, holt prior to his injury. its a big gamble but if he comes back and produces prior to that injury i think thats a loss for you.its a big gamble either way but not a slam dunk for you.

Hello Mr Cueless

2 years ago I traded Foster for the #1 pick in a dynasty league. Then I traded the #1 pick and my 2nd round pick for Harrion and Taylor

I think that trade was about right. Deuce in the preseason was ranked around #6 RB and is still relatively young (injury aside). If you were in contention, I doubt you would have done that deal.
That seems like an awful lot to give up for a rookie draft pick, any rookie draft pick. I mean McAllister was a known and proven top 10 RB who was fairly young on top of it. I can't imagin having to give up a proven top 10 performer at that RB position for a guy who may of may not make it in the NFL altogether. Am I undervaluing the picks or players though?

If I had the #1 pick, I wouldn't give it away for many players... I'll see if I can make a list.

LT

Alexander

James

Cadillac

SJackson

McGahee

Moss

Chad Johnson

Manning

Maybe:

McNabb

Holt

KJones

RBrown

There seems to be a dearth of solid dynasty RBs right now.
What about guys like:Portis

Palmer

S.Smith

S.Moss

Jordan

Bulger

Fitz

I just traded M. Harrison for C. Simms(In a start 2 QB league) and a 2006 1st rounder (Probably 1,2,or 3 pick). I already had depth at WR and could afford to trade away Harrison and I'm currently in 1st place in my division at 6-1 and tie for the best overall record. I think I made out like a bandit in this deal, now all that has to happen in for Bush and Morroney to declare and I will be set. Many peeps in my league thought I was crazy to trade a proven WR for a rookie pick and a unproven QB.

I've got two first round picks next year, one will be somewhere in the middle and one near the end of the first round, and I'm hoping to trade them for an earlier pick (1.1, 1.2, or maybe 1.3).IMO, there's no doubt RBush is going to be a stud, and this is my one chance to get him.

I am feeling really good about trading Reggie Williams in the offseason for a #1 pick to a team that is now battling for the worst record. This could mean that I turn Reggie Williams into Bush or Maroney:)

Hey Buckeyedawgs, is this a new word being developed at THE Ohio State University?Typos are one thing, but....

:confused:

So, how high is the #1 overall dynasty pick Bush's value now? What kind of trades are you seeing for people who are trying to land him or what would you expect to be offered for that pick?

So, how high is the #1 overall dynasty pick Bush's value now? What kind of trades are you seeing for people who are trying to land him or what would you expect to be offered for that pick?
Good thread bump. I was wondering the same lately and was ready to post a topic. Unfortunately, I don't own the #1 pick in any of my leagues. I would love to see what others are offering/being offered for the right to Bush.

Man, I wish I had the 1.01 - I'd trade that sucker away for a huge return. Someone asked me if he should take an offer of Palmer + Caddy/RBrown (his choice) for the 1.01.If people are offering stuff like that, I'd sell in a heartbeat.

Just to give people an idea of how the 1.1 owners value the pick.I offered Steven Jackson, Andre Johnson, 1.10, all my 2007 picksfor1.1Was rejected.In another league I offered Larry Johnson for 1.1 and it was accepted. Doesn't look so good at this point, but I don't like the aging KC offense and Bush is 7 years younger.Bottom line, owners of the 1.1 are valuing it like a top 5 RB...AT MINIMUM. This is just from my experience, but I'd venture to guess it's like this in most dynasty leagues.

Just to give people an idea of how the 1.1 owners value the pick.

I offered Steven Jackson, Andre Johnson, 1.10, all my 2007 picks

for

Was rejected.

In another league I offered Larry Johnson for 1.1 and it was accepted. Doesn't look so good at this point, but I don't like the aging KC offense and Bush is 7 years younger.

Bottom line, owners of the 1.1 are valuing it like a top 5 RB...AT MINIMUM. This is just from my experience, but I'd venture to guess it's like this in most dynasty leagues.
Since you both own the 1.01 and you're trying to get the 1.01 in another league, would you have take your offer or Sjax etc? I know I would've.

I've got two first round picks next year, one will be somewhere in the middle and one near the end of the first round, and I'm hoping to trade them for an earlier pick (1.1, 1.2, or maybe 1.3).

IMO, there's no doubt RBush is going to be a stud, and this is my one chance to get him.
It will take more than a middle 1st and late first to get Reggie Bush (#1 overall in 99.9% of dynasty rookie drafts). I have the #1 overall in a dynasty league (played for championship in 2005, and acquired this pick 2 years ago), and I wouldn't trade the #1 overall for anything less than the #2 and someone like TO.

Just to give people an idea of how the 1.1 owners value the pick.

I offered Steven Jackson, Andre Johnson, 1.10, all my 2007 picks

for

Was rejected.

In another league I offered Larry Johnson for 1.1 and it was accepted. Doesn't look so good at this point, but I don't like the aging KC offense and Bush is 7 years younger.

Bottom line, owners of the 1.1 are valuing it like a top 5 RB...AT MINIMUM. This is just from my experience, but I'd venture to guess it's like this in most dynasty leagues.
Since you both own the 1.01 and you're trying to get the 1.01 in another league, would you have take your offer or Sjax etc? I know I would've.
Note: As high as people are on Bush, I seem to be overly high on him.I guess it all depends on my team makeup. I was somewhat scared to make that offer and in retrospect am almost happy it got rejected. Having decent depth and no real immediate needs it was an offer that I could afford, but if I was in a position where I was thin without much depth I would likely rather have the Jackson side of the deal.

The bottom line is that it was definitely over-paying for Bush, but let's face it, to get him your gonna have to overpay...and most likely grossly overpay. The person who drafts him likely won't trade him away once they have him on their roster, so it's now or never to get Bush.

I was just offered McGahee and his first (9th overall) & his second (19th) for the pick.I am thinking about taking that.I believe McGahee will bounce back, and he is proven.

I was just offered McGahee and his first (9th overall) & his second (19th) for the pick.

I am thinking about taking that.

I believe McGahee will bounce back, and he is proven.
He might give up more, that deal sounds almost exactly like what i offered except i added in Andre Johnson and all my 2007 picks.

I would think the 1.01 is shade off the value of the top RB tier (LT, SA, LJ, Edge in Indy), but a notch above the 2nd tier (Jordan, Rudi, Portis, Caddy).

Just how much seperation has Bush created over the next backs on the list do you guys think? Williams seems to be flying up the board and Maroney was neck and neck with Bush in a lot of peoples minds only 3 months ago. Then you have White who could land in a situation as nice as Pit from a lot of Mock drafts! Personally, I have landed picks 1.02, 1.03 and 1.04 in this up coming draft. I aquired all these 1st with the intention of ONE of them landing me Bush. Now, it looks like I might have to deal at least 2 of them just to move up and get him. :cry: :wall: Damn you Bush, why did you hve to play so well this year. I liked it more when only I thought you were the sure fire top RB in the draft. :hot:

Just how much seperation has Bush created over the next backs on the list do you guys think? Williams seems to be flying up the board and Maroney was neck and neck with Bush in a lot of peoples minds only 3 months ago. Then you have White who could land in a situation as nice as Pit from a lot of Mock drafts! Personally, I have landed picks 1.02, 1.03 and 1.04 in this up coming draft. I aquired all these 1st with the intention of ONE of them landing me Bush. Now, it looks like I might have to deal at least 2 of them just to move up and get him. :cry: :wall: Damn you Bush, why did you hve to play so well this year. I liked it more when only I thought you were the sure fire top RB in the draft. :hot:
I would just take Maroney, Williams and White and :D

Some time in mid-November'ish, I offered the #1 pick in exchange for LJ (before he really went on the extended tear), but was still declined.

jesus man, I think you're in MUCH better shape than the guy with 1.01 and I think you know that too, quit making us salivating over your picks :P

I would just take Maroney, Williams and White and :D
jesus man, I think you're in MUCH better shape than the guy with 1.01 and I think you know that too, quit making us salivating over your picks :P
I suppose your both right. It just chaps my butt that I went to all that trouble targeting Bush way back in September and now I would have to pay through the gills just to get him. Landing those 3 RBs would be a nice way to get over the hurt though. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread