What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mauck to start, not Volek (1 Viewer)

Deuce'sWild

Footballguy
From the Blogger...QB Mauck To Start In FinaleJim Wyatt, Nashville Tennessean - [Full Article]No. 3 QB Matt Mauck, will get his first NFL start against the Jaguars, barring an unexpected quick recovery by starter QB Steve McNair. Mauck and QB Billy Volek, who has been McNair's primary back-up since 2003, have been told Mauck will start if McNair is unable to play.

From the Blogger...

QB Mauck To Start In Finale

Jim Wyatt, Nashville Tennessean - [Full Article]

No. 3 QB Matt Mauck, will get his first NFL start against the Jaguars, barring an unexpected quick recovery by starter QB Steve McNair. Mauck and QB Billy Volek, who has been McNair's primary back-up since 2003, have been told Mauck will start if McNair is unable to play.
Good news for those of us forced to start the Jags Def.

What's the word on Mauch, is he worth a start if (like me) you are desperate for a QB? Other options, with Peyton out, are Sorgi, Boller or Carr.

Why is Mauck getting the start if McNair cannot play instead of Volek?And what does this suggest as far as the Titans plans at Qb in 2006?

I'm guessing they want to see if Mauck can be the backup next year to whomever is the #1. Not one of the easiest D's to get your first start against.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that the Titans want to do the following: 1) restructure Steve McNair, 2) Trade Billy Volek, and 3) draft McNair's replacement and have McNair mentor that replacement.As to why Volek isn't getting the start, my guess is the Titans feel Volek's preceived value is already as high as it is going to get and starting him could either 1) get Volek hurt, or 2) reduce his preceived value by having a poor game against a tough Jags D.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that the Titans want to do the following: 1) restructure Steve McNair, 2) Trade Billy Volek, and 3) draft McNair's replacement and have McNair mentor that replacement.

As to why Volek isn't getting the start, my guess is the Titans feel Volek's preceived value is already as high as it is going to get and starting him could either 1) get Volek hurt, or 2) reduce his preceived value by having a poor game against a tough Jags D.
:yes: Pretty much, except they just want to get Mauck playing time, not prevent Volek from being exposed to the Jags D. Hes played horribly this year, theres nothing more he can do to hurt his value.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that the Titans want to do the following: 1) restructure Steve McNair, 2) Trade Billy Volek, and 3) draft McNair's replacement and have McNair mentor that replacement.

As to why Volek isn't getting the start, my guess is the Titans feel Volek's preceived value is already as high as it is going to get and starting him could either 1) get Volek hurt, or 2) reduce his preceived value by having a poor game against a tough Jags D.
Excellent post.Is this really a guess or do you know something?

:rant: I am still astounded that Shanahan made the roster decision to keep an obviously unable to go anymore Rice over Mauck, and chose BVP over Mauck as the DEN QB of the future.The guy finally drafts what looks like a capable QB in his 9 years, and he pisses him away to keep from hurting Rice's feelings.

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, it is really a guess, and, no, I don't have any inside information. I'm just processing the information available and extrapolating it with what I see as potential offseason happenings.From the Titans side, McNair has already said he wants to come back and is confident his contract will be renegoiated. I see no reason to be coy about this, so I accept it at face value.Combine this with the fact Volek hasn't done much in his time under center this year, and I think the Titans aren't sold on him as their franchise QB because maybe he isn't a fit for Norm Chow's offense. Hence my comment about preceived value, I think the league still views Volek as the QB from the end of last season, and has not taken much notice of how poor his play has been this season. Again, I think this is a system thing, but I digress.All of that brings me to The New York Jets. I think Herm jumps ship to the Chiefs in the offseason and Heimerdinger's becomes the new HC. Heimerdinger's O obviously flourished under Volek, the team has QB issues out the wazoo and there is an interest in signing TO, who would be a perfect fit with Volek and their scheme. Volek then gets traded, and the Titans draft McNair's sucessor for him to groom.In the meantime, the Titans know they will need a stop gap solution if, or should I say when, McNair gets injured again, so it is time to see if Mauck can be the number two. If Mauck doesn't prove he can be a capable number two, I still think the Titanstrade Volek but bring in a verteran backup.

Last edited by a moderator:
elcohiba,Interesting point. With two number ones, they would definitely have ammunition to trade up to get Leinart, but with the number of needs the Titans have, I wonder if they would with, potentially, Young and Cutler also available in the draft.Uh, oh, we could be approaching black helicopter-level pronosticating. :tinfoilhat: :D

And then to carry this a step further, Chow wants his old QB.
This was my thought as well.
I wouldnt necessarily count on Chow still being the OC next year.
Care to elaborate?Also, someone used to have a Titans source and would post his ramblings once in awhile... can anyone remember the details on that? It was a very interesting read always.

Care to elaborate?Also, someone used to have a Titans source and would post his ramblings once in awhile... can anyone remember the details on that? It was a very interesting read always.
I think you are talking about Bongo from www.titanscentral.netHe doesnt know anything more than anyone else, just likes to talk like he does.

Theres been lots of local talk here that Chow is frustrated and contemplating not returning to the Titans next year.

:rant:

I am still astounded that Shanahan made the roster decision to keep an obviously unable to go anymore Rice over Mauck, and chose BVP over Mauck as the DEN QB of the future.

The guy finally drafts what looks like a capable QB in his 9 years, and he pisses him away to keep from hurting Rice's feelings.
Strongly disagree. Shanahan didn't keep Rice over Mauck. Shanahan hasn't kept 3 QBs on his starting roster in years now, so even if he never took a flier on Jerry Rice, Matt Mauck still wouldn't have seen the 53 man roster.Now, if you have an issue with Shanny keeping Van Pelt over Mauck, that's another thing. Personally, I'm willing to give Shanny the benefit of the doubt, since he saw these guys both play for 2 years, and I'm assuming he knows a thing or two more than I do about QBs and his offense.

I mean, what makes you think Mauck is such a capable of QB? Because he's the #3 guy in Tennessee? Because he's getting playing time this week? BVP is getting playing time this week, too. If Mauck was so great, why was he drafted in the 7th round? Or are you basing your assessment of him on what he's done in the preseason? Need I remind you how great Griese always used to look in the preseason, and how horrible Plummer has always looked in the preseason?

I am still astounded that Shanahan made the roster decision to keep an obviously unable to go anymore Rice over Mauck, and chose BVP over Mauck as the DEN QB of the future.

The guy finally drafts what looks like a capable QB in his 9 years, and he pisses him away to keep from hurting Rice's feelings.
Strongly disagree. Shanahan didn't keep Rice over Mauck. Shanahan hasn't kept 3 QBs on his starting roster in years now, so even if he never took a flier on Jerry Rice, Matt Mauck still wouldn't have seen the 53 man roster.Now, if you have an issue with Shanny keeping Van Pelt over Mauck, that's another thing. Personally, I'm willing to give Shanny the benefit of the doubt, since he saw these guys both play for 2 years, and I'm assuming he knows a thing or two more than I do about QBs and his offense.

I mean, what makes you think Mauck is such a capable of QB? Because he's the #3 guy in Tennessee? Because he's getting playing time this week? BVP is getting playing time this week, too. If Mauck was so great, why was he drafted in the 7th round? Or are you basing your assessment of him on what he's done in the preseason? Need I remind you how great Griese always used to look in the preseason, and how horrible Plummer has always looked in the preseason?
Do you guys dislike each other from other threads or something?

I think you are talking about Bongo from www.titanscentral.netHe doesnt know anything more than anyone else, just likes to talk like he does.

Theres been lots of local talk here that Chow is frustrated and contemplating not returning to the Titans next year.
Huh - he fooled me. It was bongo, you're right. I thought he was convincing enough that he had some casual contact with the Titans and picked up a few tidbits. He obviously milked it for as much notoriety as he could, but there seemed to be some nuggets in what he said.

Huh - he fooled me. It was bongo, you're right. I thought he was convincing enough that he had some casual contact with the Titans and picked up a few tidbits. He obviously milked it for as much notoriety as he could, but there seemed to be some nuggets in what he said.
TitansCentral.NetGo to "talk zone" and click on "Titans Talk Zone"

You can read what he says for yourself. None of the stuff he has given as inside info has panned out, even if he does sound like he knows what hes talking about.

We know something.

two words: Jarious JacksonI don't think that BVP will be any better than JJ was in this offense. I believe that Denver needs to draft their QB of the future, although I'm sure that Shanny will hold on to BVP until it's painfully obvious that he's a career backup.

Both BVP and Mauck were 7th round picks, and Mauck was taken first (225-250)

Mauck played at LSU, BVP at CSU. I love the Rams but the Bayou Bengals play in the uber-tough SEC, not the WAC/Mt. West. Justin Holland would've kept BVP on the bench in college if he ever could've stayed healthy.

The reason Shanny gave the edge to BVP was his scrambling ability. Bradlee has a slogan, "I'll slide when I'm dead." and he has a LB's mentality. This will catch up to him if he keeps getting the #### knocked out of him on Sunday.

Both Mauck and BVP are career clipboard holders (think Todd Collins and Mike McMahon), but I just happen to like Mauck more.

Do you guys dislike each other from other threads or something?
Nope. I actually like Pony, when he's not busy being a jerk or telling me that I said things I never said.There's a difference between disagreement and dislike.

As to why Volek isn't getting the start, my guess is the Titans feel Volek's  preceived value is already as high as it is going to get and starting him could either 1) get Volek hurt, or 2) reduce his preceived value by having a poor game against a tough Jags D.
We know something.
I would be interested to hear what your thoughts are on the direction the Titans will go at Qb next year. And diesel's as well.It does seem to me that if the Titans have any intention of keeping Volek and having him become thier future starter that they would play him not Mauck if McNair cannot play.

Playing Mauck is probobly to find out if he can be a servicable backup worth keeping or not.

I am pretty much in agreement with how Trap Play has assesed the situation but I am interested in other peoples opinions about this. Particularly those who pay closer attention to the Titans than I do.

In limited action, from what I've seen Mauck sucks. I'm not at all surprised Denver gave up on him. What I don't understand is why Fischer would give him a start, unless he has improved by leaps and bounds over what he was two years ago.

:rant: Need I remind you how great Griese always used to look in the preseason, and how horrible Plummer has always looked in the preseason?
And Plummer has done exactly WHAT beyond some good regular season games (similar to what Griese has accomplished in his career)? :rolleyes: :no:

:rant: Need I remind you how great Griese always used to look in the preseason, and how horrible Plummer has always looked in the preseason?
And Plummer has done exactly WHAT beyond some good regular season games (similar to what Griese has accomplished in his career)? :rolleyes: :no:
he won a playoff game for Arizona, not exactly an easy thing to do. :shrug:

As to why Volek isn't getting the start, my guess is the Titans feel Volek's  preceived value is already as high as it is going to get and starting him could either 1) get Volek hurt, or 2) reduce his preceived value by having a poor game against a tough Jags D.
We know something.
I would be interested to hear what your thoughts are on the direction the Titans will go at Qb next year. And diesel's as well.It does seem to me that if the Titans have any intention of keeping Volek and having him become thier future starter that they would play him not Mauck if McNair cannot play.

Playing Mauck is probobly to find out if he can be a servicable backup worth keeping or not.

I am pretty much in agreement with how Trap Play has assesed the situation but I am interested in other peoples opinions about this. Particularly those who pay closer attention to the Titans than I do.
Biabreakable, Heres my thoughts.

First its about McNair. If he does not retire, they will restructure him, and he will be the starter next year. If he retires, they will keep Volek, and install him as starter. Both will not be back next year.

No matter what, the Titans will be looking for a Qb of the future in this draft/offseason. I expect them to look at a trade for Phillip Rivers or look at younger, cheaper FA QBs like my personal favorite for the price, Josh McCown. If they draft a QB, it won't be a first rounder unless they get a ridiculous value, like Leinart falling to them. They will not trade up unless they are able to pull off something like Colin suggested, but they will not get that type of value for Volek.

Mauck will likely return as the #3 QB, barring an UDFA coming in and beating him out of the job next year during camp.

:goodposting:

I could see McCown as the #2 as well with Volek gone
I like the kid. I think hes been jerked around alot both in HS and since coming to the pros, and has a ton of natural talent. I see alot of Jake Plummer in him (who Im also a huge fan of), and think that paying him decently to be McNair's backup for a year and then be groomed to take over the starting position in 2007, would be something that would be mutually beneficial. I know Chow likes strong armed guys with good movement like he did Cassell in college, and think he could get alot from McCown.

Doesnt mean I think it will happen.

Who Phillip Rivers ? :) Thats the interesting thing, he's obviously coached the current ones, and some of the available big names too so you've got to think they can make a really informed decision for the position.

In limited action, from what I've seen Mauck sucks. I'm not at all surprised Denver gave up on him. What I don't understand is why Fischer would give him a start, unless he has improved by leaps and bounds over what he was two years ago.
Please elaborate on exactly what this is that you've seen. From what I've seen I have just the opposite impression.1. Volek and McNair will definitely, absolutely, positively NOT be Titans next year.

2. I believe Mauck starting here tells us that the front office has sufficient indications form McNair that he's coming back.

3. They'll get another QB in the draft or via some sort of trade/free agent signing as Diesel has indicated.

4. I don't think Volek is the only player to be traded. It will be unusual, but I think you see 3-4 Titans packaged in various ways for trade this off season. Possibilities include Erron Kinney and Peter Sirmon.

Why is Mauck getting the start if McNair cannot play instead of Volek?

And what does this suggest as far as the Titans plans at Qb in 2006?
Simple. They are going to finally trade Volek and if he plays and gets hurt, his trade value plummets.

First, there's the fact that Plummer WON a playoff game in Arizona- something no one had done since 1964. Second, there's the fact that Plummer even MADE the playoffs in Arizona- something that hadn't happened since 1982. Third, there's the fact that Plummer's actually thrown a pass in a playoff game- something that Griese has yet to do. Fourth, there's the fact that Plummer leads the league in 4th quarter comebacks since he entered it.Here's the big one, though. Griese was a starter for 4 years. Denver made the playoffs once during that span. Plummer has been a starter for 3 years. Denver has made the playoffs three times during that span. How many other teams have made the playoffs for 3 straight years? New England, Indy. That's it.

From the Blogger...

No. 3 QB Matt Mauck, will get his first NFL start against the Jaguars, barring an unexpected quick recovery by starter QB Steve McNair. Mauck and QB Billy Volek, who has been McNair's primary back-up since 2003, have been told Mauck will start if McNair is unable to play.
Maybe someone already got to this - I didn't read further - but NFL live (or Pro football today on Fox) said this morning that it'd be Volek if McNair can't go.

From the Blogger...

Maybe someone already got to this - I didn't read further - but NFL live (or Pro football today on Fox) said this morning that it'd be Volek if McNair can't go.
Wyatt isn't always right, but he's usually pretty good about Titan stuff IMO.

Please elaborate on exactly what this is that you've seen. From what I've seen I have just the opposite impression.1. Volek and McNair will definitely, absolutely, positively NOT be Titans next year.

2. I believe Mauck starting here tells us that the front office has sufficient indications form McNair that he's coming back.

3. They'll get another QB in the draft or via some sort of trade/free agent signing as Diesel has indicated.

4. I don't think Volek is the only player to be traded. It will be unusual, but I think you see 3-4 Titans packaged in various ways for trade this off season. Possibilities include Erron Kinney and Peter Sirmon.
It's a general impression I was left with.... there was a kid named Quinn that was competition with Mauck. I liked Quinn, but he's bounced around on a few taxi squads, including Houston. I saw two preseason games where Quinn was MUCH better than Mauck, but he got cut anyway. Now, if you think I can remember exact plays from preseason games two years ago, I'm afraid I can't deliver.

First, there's the fact that Plummer WON a playoff game in Arizona- something no one had done since 1964. Second, there's the fact that Plummer even MADE the playoffs in Arizona- something that hadn't happened since 1982. Third, there's the fact that Plummer's actually thrown a pass in a playoff game- something that Griese has yet to do. Fourth, there's the fact that Plummer leads the league in 4th quarter comebacks since he entered it.Here's the big one, though. Griese was a starter for 4 years. Denver made the playoffs once during that span. Plummer has been a starter for 3 years. Denver has made the playoffs three times during that span. How many other teams have made the playoffs for 3 straight years? New England, Indy. That's it.
I do believe Griese has the SAME amount of playoff victories in Denver as Plummer? :confused: :pics:

I do believe Griese has the SAME amount of playoff victories in Denver as Plummer? :confused: :pics:
That's great. So give Griese and Plummer a push when it comes to playoff victories. Then give Plummer an advantage in winning percentage, TD:INT ratio, QB rating, passing yards, passing TDs, and playoff appearances, since we're only considering his Denver tenure here. Advantage Plummer.What's that? You want to consider Plummer's Arizona career now, too? Well then, Plummer has more playoff wins. Advantage Plummer.

Users who are viewing this thread