What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 NFL Draft Talk (1 Viewer)

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™
Staff member
2006 NFL Draft Talk

Part I: Quarterbacks

Interested in starting up some discussion on who some of the top players will be in this year's draft class.

Feel free to share any information, opinions, scouting reports, etc. on players who you think will be available during the NFL draft in April. This would also be a good place to ask questions about players who you might be having trouble finding good information on.

This obviously will help dynasty owners begin to prepare for the offseason and upcoming rookie drafts, but will also help to improve our overall knowledge and awareness of the incoming talent pool.

Links to all draft threads: QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really looking forward to the Leinart vs. Young head to head tonight. Honestly, I've not studied them in detail and this will give me an opportunity to form an educated opinion.As a Titans fan, I just wonder if there is a possibility that Leinart is still there at 3. IF SO, you have the think that Norm Chow would have a really good idea -- maybe better than anyone in the world -- about whether or not Leinart is the real deal.Per Jay Cutler, I just have this suspicion that someone in the mid-teens to low twenties is going to get a long term steal. If he can go somewhere and watch and learn for a couple of years like Carson Palmer -- I think he's going to be a great NFL quarterback. I'm thinking somewhere like KC, who could be in just the right place to get him.I don't see Shockey being an NFL QB.

Matt Leinart is going to get picked by the Saints and he is going to pull a Eli Manning with the Saints situation up in the air. I don't think he will want to be put in that situation.

Adam Schefter (NFL Network) predicted that the Titans are going to take Vince Young to succeed Steve McNair. It makes a lot of sense, though I'd personally hate it.

Yes I hear that a lot, too.1. Does Vince come out? If they win or he has a huge game he comes out, I think.2. What if Vince AND Leinart are on the board at #3?

Very lean class this year at the top unless Jacobs and/or Young comes out. Leinart should be the 2nd pick, I like Cutler to rise to the mid first despite his current 2nd round grade, and then its pretty weak as far as guys that project to have a good shot to start down the line. Leinart is a sure thing to be a very solid NFL QB - very brady like in his ability to get it done despite the lack of standout athleticism or a cannon for an arm. Cutler is as tough as they come and has all the tools you look for in a QB - he just needs polish. His decision making was all over the place at times, but i think that has a lot to do with him being the whole offense at Vandy during his college career. He really played well in the brutal SEC considering the talent level he was surrounded with.A look at some of the mediocre 2nd tier:Paul Pinegar (Fresno St.) could work out well as a WCO QB and has the frame and leadership you look for in a QB, but lacks impressive skills in any other area.Charlie Whitehurst (Clemson) is one of those guys that flashes a little bit of everything, but has never put it together. If you put together a montage of his best work, you would think he was a surefire first rounder, but he's inconsistent and his decision making really leaves something to be desired. he's one of those guys that could really blossom under the right QB coach and system, but also could be a bust.Brett basanez (Northwestern) is one of those gutsy wily guys who just finds a way to win. I would say he's somewhat likr Ryan Fitzpatrick, but tested against much much tougher competition.Bruce Gradkowski (Toledo) is our obligatory MAC QB since Jacobs is still on the fence. he's another one i like best in a WCO, since he's not the most athletic or a classic sturdy drop back deep passer. Still he's a cerebral QB with terrific leadership, accuracy and production as a college QB.Darrell Hackney, UAB - This guy is gonna need some work to be a viable NFL QB, but man is a he a tank with wheels and a cannon. Ive seen him compared to David Garrard, and I agree with that assessment completely in terms of his style.Brodie Croyle, Bama - His possibilities really run the gamut from eventual starter to complete bust. His list of serious injuries is much longer that you want for a QB prospect, including knee, elbow, and shoulder problems. He's rail thin for a QB will have to bulk up. Still, Brodie has the arm, athleticism, smarts, and guts to succeed. One sleeper to watch is Barrick Nealy out of I-AA Texas State. He's been talked about like a poor man's Vince Young down here in Central Texas.

Whitehurst reminds me of a poor man's Drew Bledsoe. Big arm, big kid, 10 cent head under pressure.Pass.

I should add that college QBs like Reggie McNeal, Brad Smith, and Michael Robinson will probably be looked at WR prospects just as much as or moreso than QB prospects (Smith could even be an RB). All are incredible athletes and with the success of QB to WR converts recently, you have to consider all of them in the top 20 WR mix.

Links to all draft threads: QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB
Thanks for these Aaron. I am addicted to the draft this year like never before. I've been considering tossing an 06 NFL Draft Blog up just to feed the addiction and get all my research and opinions logged in one place (to later see if I know what the heck I'm talking about). We've been batting around names in various draft threads for months, but usually only discuss the top few players at each position. Those threads aren't organized like this. Great idea. On QBs (for now), I'll just toss two sleepers into the mix that haven't been discussed here (as far as I know). I think these two will both be on the rise in the draft. I also think they will both make NFL rosters, and from there you never know.

Tarvaris Jackson, Alabama State, 6-3 225

Current Experts' Projection: UFA

My Projection: 2nd day pick, Rnd 6 (maybe higher), developmental project with big upside

Recent Story

General: Jackson is a superb all-around athlete who couldn't beat out Matt Jones for a starting job at Arkansas as a redshirt freshman (Jones was a Sophomore), so he transferred. In retrospect, Houston Nutt would have done his Razorback program a favor by starting Jackson and letting Jones play WR (something he briefly tried before Jackson transferred).

In three years as a starter at Alabama State, Jackson has thrown for almost 8000 yards and 70 touchdowns. While most internet draft experts don't have him on the radar, NFL scouts most certainly do. He's been invited to the East West Shrine game to spend a week working out for scouts, and here is where I think he makes his move into the draft. Some team will see all the tools and realize he is worth a late pick.

Positives: I watched him come up short in a hard fought comeback attempt against Grambling State. I watched the game to see Grambling QB Bruce Eugene (also a possible late pick). But, Jackson stole the show. Above displaying all the tools, a tremendous arm, very accurate, nice touch, excellent footwork and pocket presence, it was his leadership and poise that won me over. He throws a beautiful deep ball, a rocket out pattern, and shows point guard skills (quick reads, quick release) in the short and intermediate game. Good on the run, better in the pocket, physically powerful for a QB. He's very tough and doesn't get rattled. I couldn't find any flaws in his game.

Over his three years, his team has lost talent every year, yet he has steadily improved. Year 1-- 18 tds 13 picks, 123 rating; year 2-- 20 tds, 9 picks, 130 rating; this year-- 29 tds, 5 picks, 165 rating. His rushing yards have gone down as his passing proficiency has gone up-- a good sign. He's confident and mature in interviews. He has a quick sense of humor, and appears to be mentally sharp enough and emotionally stable enough to QB (lead) at any level.

Negatives: Hasn't played against top competition. His team had a disappointing season. He may not be 6-3. Intangibles unknown. He's not fast enough to be realistically worked out at other positions despite his athleticism. May rely too much on natural ability and not be confident and determined enough to work hard enough succeed at the highest level.

NFL Comparison: Good - Steve McNair. Bad - Akili Smith

Ingle Martin, Furman, 6-3 224

Current Experts' Projection-- From Day 2 prospect to UFA

My Projection-- 2nd day, round 5

Recent Story

General: As a freshman at Florida he backed up Rex Grossman and Brock Berlin. As a sophomore he lost a very controversial camp battle to Chris Leak (who was incredibly hyped as a freshman). Spurrier tried to keep Martin around by using him as a punter and even a little as a WR, but Ingle wanted to play QB. So, like Jackson, Martin transferred-- in his case to Furman. Unlike Jackson, Martin does have the attention of the online scouting community, but presently seems to be overlooked by the NFL. He does not have an invite to an all-star game.

Being oine of the nation's leading punters, and given an opportunity at WR at Florida tells us that he's a much better athlete than most consider. Some insiders are reporting that NFL types are impressed with his arm strength, accuracy and leadership qualities. I see a very tough and athletic, poor man's Jay Cutler (whose ability belies his stats), and Martin will not only make it into the draft (after his pro day), but will quickly establish himself as an NFL QB 3 with a clipboard in his hands.

Positives: I think too much is made of his punting skill, and probably not enough of his overall athleticism. No matter, both are positives that will give him a louder blip on the NFL radar. Three come from behind victories this season all involved heroics from Martin. With his arm and with his feet he's proven to be an intense competitor who can calmly make big plays repeatedly under extreme pressure. Like Cutler, given time to throw, he has amazing accuracy and a picture perfect delivery. Also like Cutler, his mechanics come into question under pressure, but he makes exceptionally tough throws, threading the needle with velocity and a gunslinger's attitude. He has great confidence in his arm (and he should because he has a great arm).

In his two years at Furman he's thrown for almost 6000 yards, 42 tds and 22 picks, with a rating in the high 140s. Early in the season he had a terrible 5 interception performance (they weren't all his fault), and his draft status was destroyed (until recently). Since that game he's thrown 16 tds and 8 picks while leading a team with very poor talent to a 10-2 record. The NFL is littered with Div II QBs, and I think Ingle is one of the two good ones to come along this season despite his modest stats. You have to watch him play to realize that he is far and away the most talented player on the field in most games. I liked what I saw so much, that I would love Dallas to take care of their 0-line, safety needs, wr, etc., and not worry about the future QB problem on the first day-- then grab the rights to this kid on the 2nd day.

Negatives: Hasn't played top competition. Gunslinger mentality. May not get a decent shot.

NFL Comparison: Good - Mark Brunnell. Bad - Tim Couch

ps. I'm writing about 150 of these. I'm obsessed. I should probably just launch the blog to have it all archived for posterity. Also, I know Erik Meyer, Barrick Nealy, Bruce Eugene and maybe a couple other small school QBs are getting attention, but I really like these two the most. They'll probably go undrafted and never be heard from again. Thanks for reading.

:hophead:

I should add that college QBs like Reggie McNeal, Brad Smith, and Michael Robinson will probably be looked at WR prospects just as much as or moreso than QB prospects (Smith could even be an RB). All are incredible athletes and with the success of QB to WR converts recently, you have to consider all of them in the top 20 WR mix.
McNeal should get a legit shot at QB. NFL Draft Scout rates Smith as a top 10 RB? He looks like a great WR in a weak class to me. I pimped Robinson as a possible Anquan Boldin type a month or so ago (probably praise that's a little over the top). I think his size, strength, toughness and hands translate very nicely though.

I am really looking forward to the Leinart vs. Young head to head tonight. Honestly, I've not studied them in detail and this will give me an opportunity to form an educated opinion.

As a Titans fan, I just wonder if there is a possibility that Leinart is still there at 3. IF SO, you have the think that Norm Chow would have a really good idea -- maybe better than anyone in the world -- about whether or not Leinart is the real deal.

Per Jay Cutler, I just have this suspicion that someone in the mid-teens to low twenties is going to get a long term steal. If he can go somewhere and watch and learn for a couple of years like Carson Palmer -- I think he's going to be a great NFL quarterback. I'm thinking somewhere like KC, who could be in just the right place to get him.

I don't see Shockey being an NFL QB.
Agree on Shockey and Cutler. No idea what Tennessee would do if Leinart was available, which I doubt he will be, but I have suggested that Chow may not be high on him. I wouldn't make to much of tonight's game when appraising the QBs. Their entire body of work is far more important than a game like this. Carroll has been incredible given time to prepare, and he could make Young look very bad (which will bring the haters out in droves). Likewise Leinart has looked very dicey this year under pressure (ASU, OR), and in huge games (UCLA, ND). I'm very excited to see how this plays out. I won't judge either QB harshly for a bad performance, but I think a great performance will deserve high praise considering the pressure.

I should add that college QBs like Reggie McNeal, Brad Smith, and Michael Robinson will probably be looked at WR prospects just as much as or moreso than QB prospects (Smith could even be an RB). All are incredible athletes and with the success of QB to WR converts recently,  you have to consider all of them in the top 20 WR mix.
McNeal should get a legit shot at QB. NFL Draft Scout rates Smith as a top 10 RB? He looks like a great WR in a weak class to me. I pimped Robinson as a possible Anquan Boldin type a month or so ago (probably praise that's a little over the top). I think his size, strength, toughness and hands translate very nicely though.
McNeal will get a shot, but I dont see him working out and think his draft grade will reflect that there's fallback option to play him at WR - he's got rare speed and has good frame for a WR.

ps. I'm writing about 150 of these. I'm obsessed. I should probably just launch the blog to have it all archived for posterity. Also, I know Erik Meyer, Barrick Nealy, Bruce Eugene and maybe a couple other small school QBs are getting attention, but I really like these two the most. They'll probably go undrafted and never be heard from again. Thanks for reading.

:hophead:
please do it. ive been thinking about doing something similar and id be happy to contribute to your blog. Ill be at the east west shrine game (hopefully with a press pass) so ill try to get as much dirt as i can on jackson.

Tarvaris Jackson, Alabama State, 6-3 225

Ingle Martin, Furman, 6-3 224

Martin does have the attention of the online scouting community, but presently seems to be overlooked by the NFL. He does not have an invite to an all-star game.
I'm pleased to discover that I was wrong about Martin here. He does have the attention of NFL execs. Both Jackson and Martin are on the first list (19) of invitees to the Combine. Some NFL team had to request his presence.

Yes I hear that a lot, too.

1. Does Vince come out? If they win or he has a huge game he comes out, I think.

2. What if Vince AND Leinart are on the board at #3?
I don't understand why Vince Young would not come out this year.His biggest question mark surrounding his skills coming into this season was his passing ability, and all he did was go out and increase his passing yardage by 100 yds per game, decrease his INT's by half, and lead the nation in passing efficiency....all this on top of continuing his dominance with his legs.

Why would he take the chance of coming back one more year to see any of those numbers dip and create questions in scouts that this year was just a "fluke" in his passing. Or even worse, risk major injury which is much more susceptible to a player with his running skills and taking more hits than most other QB's.

I just don't foresee him passing up his guaranteed payday (but, I was surprised to see Leinart come back this year as well, so what do I know.)

I am really looking forward to the Leinart vs. Young head to head tonight. Honestly, I've not studied them in detail and this will give me an opportunity to form an educated opinion.

As a Titans fan, I just wonder if there is a possibility that Leinart is still there at 3. IF SO, you have the think that Norm Chow would have a really good idea -- maybe better than anyone in the world -- about whether or not Leinart is the real deal.

Per Jay Cutler, I just have this suspicion that someone in the mid-teens to low twenties is going to get a long term steal. If he can go somewhere and watch and learn for a couple of years like Carson Palmer -- I think he's going to be a great NFL quarterback. I'm thinking somewhere like KC, who could be in just the right place to get him.

No chance. Hes dumber than a box of rocks.Ive still yet to see him throw a ball to a guy in the middle of a route this year. Basically he drops back, holds the ball for 6-8 secs, scrambles around, and waits for the WRs to lose the DBs. He can get away with that in college, but he'll be a tackling dummy in the NFL.

Yes I hear that a lot, too.

1. Does Vince come out? If they win or he has a huge game he comes out, I think.

2. What if Vince AND Leinart are on the board at #3?
I don't understand why Vince Young would not come out this year.
He also turns 23 this May. If he stays he'll be 24 before he ever hits an NFL training camp. I think he's coming out, win or lose tonight. If he stays, I hope it's because he doesn't have a high enough projection from the NFL (higher than top 10), and not because Mack Brown is influencing him.

He also turns 23 this May. If he stays he'll be 24 before he ever hits an NFL training camp. I think he's coming out, win or lose tonight. If he stays, I hope it's because he doesn't have a high enough projection from the NFL (higher than top 10), and not because Mack Brown is influencing him.
It's possible he just wants to win a National Championship and if they loose he would come back for that.

No chance. Hes dumber than a box of rocks.Ive still yet to see him throw a ball to a guy in the middle of a route this year. Basically he drops back, holds the ball for 6-8 secs, scrambles around, and waits for the WRs to lose the DBs. He can get away with that in college, but he'll be a tackling dummy in the NFL.
We'll save this Shockey post and just edit it for Chris Leak next year.

I am really looking forward to the Leinart vs. Young head to head tonight.  Honestly, I've not studied them in detail and this will give me an opportunity to form an educated opinion.

As a Titans fan, I just wonder if there is a possibility that Leinart is still there at 3.  IF SO, you have the think that Norm Chow would have a really good idea -- maybe better than anyone in the world -- about whether or not Leinart is the real deal.

Per Jay Cutler, I just have this suspicion that someone in the mid-teens to low twenties is going to get a long term steal.  If he can go somewhere and watch and learn for a couple of years like Carson Palmer -- I think he's going to be a great NFL quarterback.  I'm thinking somewhere like KC, who could be in just the right place to get him.

We'll save this Shockey post and just edit it for Chris Leak next year.
At least Shockey has the size, Leak is a relative midget.

I hope whoever thinks Vince Young can't be an NFL QB is watching tonight. Hes outplaying Leinart and looking good doing it.The play on 3rd down where he threw off one tackler and then stood up and threw a pass with a guy wrapped around him was just awesome, even if it didnt get a first down. He looks like Culpepper out there. No one can tackle him on the first try.

I hope whoever thinks Vince Young can't be an NFL QB is watching tonight. Hes outplaying Leinart and looking good doing it.

The play on 3rd down where he threw off one tackler and then stood up and threw a pass with a guy wrapped around him was just awesome, even if it didnt get a first down. He looks like Culpepper out there. No one can tackle him on the first try.
I've rated Young higher than Leinart all year. I've seen nothing so far tonight to change that. I would like to see Vince go downfield a little more, but he is wicked good in the short game.

I hope whoever thinks Vince Young can't be an NFL QB is watching tonight.  Hes outplaying Leinart and looking good doing it.

The play on 3rd down where he threw off one tackler and then stood up and threw a pass with a guy wrapped around him was just awesome, even if it didnt get a first down.  He looks like Culpepper out there.  No one can tackle him on the first try.
I've rated Young higher than Leinart all year. I've seen nothing so far tonight to change that. I would like to see Vince go downfield a little more, but he is wicked good in the short game.
Ive said it quite a few times, and Ill continue it here: Id love to see Young as a Titan if he comes out. Seems quite realistic.

Some interesting talk coming out of the Virginia Tech program. Marcus Vick, who's been busted for drugs and sex with a minor, flipped off fans and deliberately stomped on Elvis Dumervil's leg in his bowl game, is probably going to be suspended for the unsportsmanlike act against Dumervil. He also may be facing academic suspension. Anyway, this all leads to the likelihood of Michael's cute little brother entering the draft. I don't think he has half the game Mike has, and I'm a little tired of the elder Vick project. I have no idea where he would grade, other than being fairly certain he won't be picked by the mid-second round. Sometime after that and during the first day, some team will probably draft him though. Some thing Al Davis is interested. Others think Atlanta might take him to back up big bro. He is an excellent runner, but not as good as Mike. He has a strong arm, but not as strong as Mike's, though some think he is a better passer, which isn't high praise. Still the combination of skills is similar to Reggie McNeal who will grade higher and get a legit shot to QB in the NFL. Honestly, I would prefer he just stay in school for six years. I did. :)

Some interesting talk coming out of the Virginia Tech program. Marcus Vick, who's been busted for drugs and sex with a minor, flipped off fans and deliberately stomped on Elvis Dumervil's leg in his bowl game, is probably going to be suspended for the unsportsmanlike act against Dumervil. He also may be facing academic suspension.

Anyway, this all leads to the likelihood of Michael's cute little brother entering the draft. I don't think he has half the game Mike has, and I'm a little tired of the elder Vick project. I have no idea where he would grade, other than being fairly certain he won't be picked by the mid-second round. Sometime after that and during the first day, some team will probably draft him though. Some thing Al Davis is interested. Others think Atlanta might take him to back up big bro. He is an excellent runner, but not as good as Mike. He has a strong arm, but not as strong as Mike's, though some think he is a better passer, which isn't high praise. Still the combination of skills is similar to Reggie McNeal who will grade higher and get a legit shot to QB in the NFL. Honestly, I would prefer he just stay in school for six years. I did. :)
Id like to see him expelled from the VT program, and then go undrafted in the NFL.

Not sure what Vince Young is going to do, but he SHOULD come out this year. He's done all there is to do collegiately. He just single handedly won the national title against a team with the consensus #1 and #2 NFL draft picks on its roster and did it with laser point accuracy as a passer combined with obscenely good [and timely] running.How he's not a top 5 pick if he declares is beyond me.

Not sure what Vince Young is going to do, but he SHOULD come out this year. He's done all there is to do collegiately. He just single handedly won the national title against a team with the consensus #1 and #2 NFL draft picks on its roster and did it with laser point accuracy as a passer combined with obscenely good [and timely] running.

How he's not a top 5 pick if he declares is beyond me.
I don't see how you could watch that game last night and pick Leinart or Bush over him to be honest. If he's on the board when the Packers pick, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Aaron Rodgers be damned. I don't see how the Texans could pass on him. State hero and all. He's got some serious talent.

Did anyone else hear Lienart after the game say " I still think we're a better team than them." What an ###, this guy is alittle cry-baby if everything doesn't go his way. Vince I lost alot of cash on you last night but you definetly deserved to win that game. You were a man among boys and if you come out you should 100% be the 1st qb off the board.

I hope whoever thinks Vince Young can't be an NFL QB is watching tonight. Hes outplaying Leinart and looking good doing it.

The play on 3rd down where he threw off one tackler and then stood up and threw a pass with a guy wrapped around him was just awesome, even if it didnt get a first down. He looks like Culpepper out there. No one can tackle him on the first try.
Ive said it quite a few times, and Ill continue it here: Id love to see Young as a Titan if he comes out. Seems quite realistic.
it makes a ton of sense, since Steve McNair is already Young's mentor and father figure. However, after last night's performance, he could definitely go #1 overall.It am

However, after last night's performance, he could definitely go #1 overall.
That would drop either Leinhart or Bush to the Titans if they do not trade out of #3 (up or down) - wonder who Chow would choose.

Omar Jacobs is declaring for the draft. A smart move despite the mediocre season. Put him in your round one mocks. He won't fall and he will be the source of much debate.

Link

I too was impressed with Young in the Rose Bowl, but I think that people are overreacting a bit to that one game. Yes, VY looked unstoppable against USC. Of course, that's the same USC defense that allowed 42 points by Fresno St., including 4 TD passes by Pinnegar and a 100 yd/2 TD game by the Fresno RB. Against a much better Ohio St. defense, Young put up very respectable passing #s, but ran 20 times for only 76 yds. In the NFL, he's not going to be able to run around and constantly make defenses look foolish trying to tackle him.Don't get me wrong. I still think Young is a good NFL prospect, but IMO to vault him over Bush or Leinart to #1 overall on the basis of that one performance is unwise.

I would give my left foot's pinky toe for Nick "9-7" Saban to trade up and snag Matt Leinart...I'm sure he'd make the transition from the Cali sun and ladies to the Miami sun and ladies quite well.

Omar Jacobs is declaring for the draft. A smart move despite the mediocre season. Put him in your round one mocks. He won't fall and he will be the source of much debate.

Link
Hey Chaos,I think he'll go in the 1st too, but it's no sure bet. That delivery is going to confound a lot of people. I would say he's about a 50/50 shot to overtake Cutler as the 3rd QB [behind Leinart and Young]. If Young doesn't come out, obviously Jacobs prospects as a 1st rounder significantly increase.

Not sure what Vince Young is going to do, but he SHOULD come out this year. He's done all there is to do collegiately. He just single handedly won the national title against a team with the consensus #1 and #2 NFL draft picks on its roster and did it with laser point accuracy as a passer combined with obscenely good [and timely] running.

How he's not a top 5 pick if he declares is beyond me.
Really? He was running a skeleton drill out there. He might as well have been running a 7 on 7 drill for the pass rush that USC was able to generate. Where the hell were the USC deep backs. Everybody was wide open all night and he never threw a pass over 10 yards all night.All time performance running the ball and keeping his team in the game so he could win it but I was not as impressed with the passing aspect of his game as others. His ball had no zip and seemed to loop out to the receivers.

Whitehurst reminds me of a poor man's Drew Bledsoe.  Big arm, big kid, 10 cent head under pressure.

Pass.
Whitehurst is much more mobile than Bledsoe, which always helps both in FF & the real world. You're right about his decision-making, though. That's been his downfall when he's played poorly, but I get the feeling this guy will be one of those players who'll be better as a pro than he was as a collegian. I believe he'll test well & go higher than most people think.

Link
Hey Chaos,I think he'll go in the 1st too, but it's no sure bet. That delivery is going to confound a lot of people. I would say he's about a 50/50 shot to overtake Cutler as the 3rd QB [behind Leinart and Young]. If Young doesn't come out, obviously Jacobs prospects as a 1st rounder significantly increase.
Yeah, I've reconsidered my initial enthusiasm for him. I'm not buying the 4th round second day talk (even though that's coming from the NFL), but he has a short list of intangible concerns I wasn't aware of that go along with his sidearm delivery. I still have to think he's going to look way to good to AZ, Mia, NYJ, KC, and Oak to fall to the 2nd day. So, I'll drop him from round one and predict he lands with one fo those teams in round 2. On Whitehurst, I don't remember the exact details, but hasn't he dealt with 3 (or maybe 4) different OCs at Clemson. I'm sure of three. Anyway, he was never given the chance to develop in a system and it has been a struggle to constantly be changing the offense. His raw tools are pretty impressive. Watching a bunch of his online highlights makes him look god-like. He is a decent runner... like a bigger Plummer. He has a big arm and it can be exceptionally accurate. He also makes some very tough throws under pressure. What do you expect from highlights? Watching Clemson games and you do get the impression that he isn't very poised.

I don't buy the 4th round stuff on Jacobs, either. It's hard to believe he would get out of the first day. Personally, I can't see him lasting past the 2nd round.

McNeal will get a shot, but I dont see him working out and think his draft grade will reflect that there's fallback option to play him at WR - he's got rare speed and has good frame for a WR.
He'll get a shot, but I cannot imagine Reggie being able to learn an NFL playbook. I have first-hand experience regarding his intelligence, and it's amazing that he can even function on a daily basis (literally). Local radio here (College Station) believes he'll be a 2nd round pick (Louie Belina and Chip Howard) after the combine and I find that laughable. My prediction is that he's playing special teams or WR by the second week of training camp next year.

I would give my left foot's pinky toe for Nick "9-7" Saban to trade up and snag Matt Leinart...

I'm sure he'd make the transition from the Cali sun and ladies to the Miami sun and ladies quite well.
Leinart would be nice, but if they could somehow have Cutler make it to their 1st round pick I'd be ecstatic (almost worthy of a left pinky toe!).

Post Combine Top 10.

I don't want this post to be about the top three, they're discussed at length in several threads, so I'm listing them together in order to get to the other QBs.

1-3 (Young, Leinart, Cutler)

4. Charlie Whitehurst (surprised with the level of his athleticism, and the arm is improving since the surgery)

5. Omar Jacobs (excellent accuracy but the truly sidearmed delivery didn't impress some, didn't hurt himself as much as he helped himself)

6. Reggie McNeal (the athleticism is intriguing, the versatility valuable, he's moving up)

7. Brodie Croyle (was neck and neck with Whitehurst but got shown up a little)

8. Ingle Martin (impressed in every test, big arm, accurate, good physical strength and well above average athleticism)

9. Bruce Gradkowski (not a great showing, but more complete and less question marks than the others)

10. Kellen Clemens (still recovering from injury he only threw and interviewed, but his arm was one of the best)

Others. Tarvaris Jackson and Barrick Nealy had nice performances and deserve honorable mention. Paul Pinegar and Drew Olson continue their unimpressive post seasons, but Pinegar did have a good week of practice for the Shriner. Brad Smith is insisting on being a QB. The reality that he will be converted probably puts him above some of the top ten in the draft order, but his QB skills don't. Nice athlete, might have a shot at QB-- a longshot. Should find a home as a slash/slot/wr somewhere.

Dustin Holland, DJ Shockley, Darrell Hackney, Travis Lulay, Erik Meyer, and Kent Smith look like second day draft picks somewhere, but not all will make it with the depth at other positions to be drafted. They were all busy with interviews, so there's significant interest here and there.

Marcus Vick sounded fine to me in his media interview, but reports that his private team interviews were very poor have him on the verge of going undrafted.

Michael Robinson chose not to work out, and the decision hurt him and angered the many teams who wanted to evaluate him with the others. He should be drafted late in the second day, but it is far from guaranteed. He needs a very strong pro day.

I haven't heard a thing about Basanez, Eugene or Porter.

Can you elaborate? The guys on NFL Network were "high on him" during the combine show.

Can you elaborate? The guys on NFL Network were "high on him" during the combine show.
He did nothing wrong-- Charlie and Omar just looked a little better, and McNeal is sort of freaky. You could easily put Brodie ahead of him and bunch him up with the other two. But being so slim and not running or moving as well as Charlie wasn't expected. He has a better arm, but Whitehurst is getting a small mulligan for the recently repaired shoulder while throwing the ball nicely anyway. I'm also basing this a little on "first interviews". There was an odd scramble to interview Whitehurst early. Jacobs was very very accurate, but one scout called him a sandlot player for his lazy feet and slingshot mechanics. Croyle ahead of Jacobs is more likely than Croyle ahead of Whitehurst.

About all we know is that Matt Leinart needs to really screw things up at the USC Pro Day to not be the 1st QB drafted. What we don't know is whether he'll be a top 2 pick and, if so, will it be as Brees apprentice in NO or to another team via a trade.

Vince Young's Pro Day wasn't enough to cement him a top spot but it wasn't bad enough to detract from teams who project him as a future "great" if developed correctly.

Jay Cutler has his supporters, but his erratic play, Senior Bowl and Pro Day likely put him more in the top 10-15 range at this point than someone who could legitimately vie for top 5 honors.

4. Charlie Whitehurst (surprised with the level of his athleticism, and the arm is improving since the surgery)

5. Omar Jacobs (excellent accuracy but the truly sidearmed delivery didn't impress some, didn't hurt himself as much as he helped himself)
Please tell us more about Whitehurst. What I've read about him, as I haven't seen him, is he has the right size, strength, etc. that you'd want in a QB, basically stuff that goes over well at the combine. Problem is his on field play is inconsistent, makes bad decisions, not the most accurate guy, in other words, his play doesn't reach his physical ability. Is this wrong?As for Jacobs, I get the sidearm issue, and he struggled a bit this year, but I've had him as my #4 QB for awhile now, and would like someone to explain why Whitehurst will be better.

4.  Charlie Whitehurst (surprised with the level of his athleticism, and the arm is improving since the surgery)

5.  Omar Jacobs (excellent accuracy but the truly sidearmed delivery didn't impress some, didn't hurt himself as much as he helped himself)
Please tell us more about Whitehurst. What I've read about him, as I haven't seen him, is he has the right size, strength, etc. that you'd want in a QB, basically stuff that goes over well at the combine. Problem is his on field play is inconsistent, makes bad decisions, not the most accurate guy, in other words, his play doesn't reach his physical ability. Is this wrong?As for Jacobs, I get the sidearm issue, and he struggled a bit this year, but I've had him as my #4 QB for awhile now, and would like someone to explain why Whitehurst will be better.
Whitehurst is an athlete with measurables. Unfortunately his decision making is a major, major question mark. He rarely if ever had to make detailed progressions or see the entirety of the field.

Users who are viewing this thread