What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Calhoun announcing his decision today (1 Viewer)

offdee

Footballguy
RB- Brian Calhoun (Wisconsin) is expected to announce today whether or not he will be turning pro or staying in school.Rumor is that the draft advisory has told him he'd be a 1st-2nd round pick.Sports Radio in Wisconsin is saying that a big factor in his decision could be seeing his teammate Joe Thomas (O-Line) go down with a knee injury in the bowl game. Thomas was considered a top 10 pick if he would've came out before the injury.Any predictions, thoughts, inside info?

He will come out and be a 1st round pick. He will go on to have a very productive NFL career.
Shhhhhh...he needs to be a 2nd round pick...of a certain team that wears Green and Gold.

I would be suprised if he was told 1-2. I think he is a little smallish. My gut tells me he comes back next year, but if was told 1-2 then he should go.

http://www.jsonline.com/badger/fb/jan06/383662.asp

Good chance Calhoun will go pro

UW tailback plans to decide Monday

By JEFF POTRYKUS

jpotrykus@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Jan. 8, 2006

Madison - Although All-American tailback Brian Calhoun still has not ruled out returning to Wisconsin for his senior season, he continues to lean heavily toward entering the 2006 National Football League draft.

Brian Calhoun is leaning heavilly toward turning pro.

"He is probably around 70%," Andrew Calhoun, Brian's father, said by phone Sunday from the family home in Oak Creek. "He just wants to make sure."

According to Andrew Calhoun, Brian plans to reach a decision sometime today after speaking with Bret Bielema, who officially takes over as head coach on Feb. 1.

"It's all on the table," Andrew Calhoun said. "He has been going back and forth."

Brian Calhoun, according to his father, is projected by NFL scouts as a first- or second-round pick if he comes out this year. That is impressive considering that this appears to be a solid draft for running backs, with juniors such as Southern California's Reggie Bush, Minnesota's Laurence Maroney and UCLA's Maurice Drew already having declared for the draft.

Andrew Calhoun acknowledged that the allure of making a run at the Heisman Trophy in 2006 was not a factor.

"It's flattering," Andrew Calhoun said, "but team goals come first."

However, Brian Calhoun is concerned about the risk of injury. That concern was exacerbated in the Capital One Bowl when he watched UW junior offensive tackle Joe Thomas suffer a serious injury to his right knee.

"He is really concerned about what happened to Joe," Andrew Calhoun said. "Is it worth the risk? Especially if you have a unique opportunity to follow your dreams."

Andrew Calhoun also noted that his son had been in college for four years: two at Colorado and two at UW, including 2004 when he redshirted and ran on the scout team against UW's No. 1 defense.

Meanwhile, UW officials confirmed Sunday that Thomas suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the victory over Auburn in the Capital One Bowl.

"I will have surgery and begin the rehabilitation process as soon as possible," Thomas said in a UW release. "I am looking forward to next season and I am anxious for our program to continue where it left off in Orlando.

"I want to thank all of our fans for their support of me and our team."

Although recovery time varies depending on the severity of the tear and the amount of time spent on rehabilitation, players can return from a torn ACL in anywhere from six to nine months after surgery.

That means Thomas could be ready to play by the Sept. 3 opener. However, most players do not immediately return to their customary level of performance.

Bielema sounded optimistic that Thomas would not suffer a drop-off next season.

"Joe Thomas is one of the top players in college football and I am confident he will be back stronger and better than ever in 2006," he said in a UW release. "I know Joe will turn this temporary setback into a positive because that is the type of person he is.

"He will be under the care of our sports medicine and strength and conditioning staffs, which means he will be in very capable hands.

"I look forward to Joe's return to action. We will be counting not only on his playing ability but his leadership qualities as well."

If Calhoun follows his NFL dream this year, UW fans will be able to savor his one season in a UW uniform.

Calhoun capped the season by rushing 30 times for 213 yards and a touchdown in UW's 24-10 upset of No. 7 Auburn in the bowl game. Calhoun thus became just the second player in NCAA Division I-A history to record at least 1,500 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards in the same season.

In 12 regular-season games, Calhoun had 73.4% of the team's rushing yards (1,423 of 1,939) and 43.1% of the team's total offense (1,986 of 4,607 yards).

Including the bowl game, Calhoun finished with:

• 348 rushing attempts, a UW season record and the No. 7 mark in Big Ten Conference history.

• 1,636 rushing yards, the No. 5 mark in UW history.

• 22 rushing touchdowns, a UW record.

• 53 receptions for 571 yards, both season records for a UW running back.

• 2,207 all-purpose yards, the No. 2 mark in school history.

• 24 touchdowns, tied for the UW record and tied for the No. 6 mark in Big Ten history.

• 144 points, a UW record and the No. 6 mark in Big Ten history.

• Nine games of 100 rushing yards or more, tied for the No. 4 mark in UW history.

Andrew Calhoun did not discount the possibility that his son might return to UW for the 2006 season.

"He might pull a switcheroo on us," Andrew Calhoun said. "We'd live with it. . . . He is the kind of kid that when he bonds, it is hard for him to leave.

"It's like any time you get a friend. He cherishes those relationships."

Just saw in the Milwaukee Journal sports page, this quote.."He is probably around 70% to turn pro", Andrew Calhoun, Brian's father said by phone Sunday from the family home in Oak Creek. "He just wants to make sure."One interesting tidbit is that he's already been in college for 4 years...2 at Colorado and 2 at Wisconsin.

Barry Alvarez stated this year that Calhoun is the best RB he had at Wisconsin.He is 6'2" and just under 200 pounds.

Joe Thomas got hurt?  That sucks.
Joe Thomas drafted Bert Jones I believe.Many dynasty owners are probably scared to take a Wisconsin back (see Ron Dayne, Bennett, and Anthony Davis), but Calhoun may change all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was stunned by his ability to get the corner on DB's with three and five yard advantages on him in the bowl game. He just blew past guys in that game. His burst was extrordinary.

Barry Alvarez stated this year that Calhoun is the best RB he had at Wisconsin.

He is 6'2" and just under 200 pounds.
6'2"?He is listed at 5-10 194 per the Wisconsin webpage.

Id see him playing at about 200, maybe a few pounds heavier than that in the NFL.

Very good back, great speed, great receiving skills, nose for the endzone.

Id see him playing at about 200, maybe a few pounds heavier than that in the NFL.

I was just going by some info at the JS Online Webpage and it indicated he was 6'2". It must have been wrong because I do see other sites showing him at 5'10".

I think he goes anywhere from the 4th to 7th RB off the board. Not sure the need for quality RB's- especially for the teams with mid-to-late selections (unless SA and Edge do not re-sign) necessitates a first round selection. Value may be a little over-inflated due to his running behind arguably the best O-line in college football. Did poorly against stingy defenses in Penn State and Iowa- very very poor in fact and may caution potential draftors against him. Also, quite raw, having only played two full seasons. Nonetheless, brings the complete package as far as skills are concerned; can cut and run with the best of them and is a brilliant pass catcher. Body comparison is a la Tiki Barber as well as his skill set- not saying he'll put up the numbers but if utilized in a similar fashion, I think we can expect good fantasy #'s out of this guy in the years to come.

I think he goes anywhere from the 4th to 7th RB off the board. Not sure the need for quality RB's- especially for the teams with mid-to-late selections (unless SA and Edge do not re-sign) necessitates a first round selection. Value may be a little over-inflated due to his running behind arguably the best O-line in college football. Did poorly against stingy defenses in Penn State and Iowa- very very poor in fact and may caution potential draftors against him. Also, quite raw, having only played two full seasons.

Nonetheless, brings the complete package as far as skills are concerned; can cut and run with the best of them and is a brilliant pass catcher. Body comparison is a la Tiki Barber as well as his skill set- not saying he'll put up the numbers but if utilized in a similar fashion, I think we can expect good fantasy #'s out of this guy in the years to come.
Another Mike Shanahan draft pick?

Now they are saying that an official announcement "could be made by Thursday"....whatever that means.

On this board doesn't 5' 10" 200 lbs mean he cannot be an everydown back? :D

If Thomas was considered a top 10 pick, he should think about pulling a McGahee and get selected late in the 1st round by a good team (say Pittsburgh) where he could rehab for a year, add depth to the OL and then become a starter in year 2. If he is just healthy enough to start at the beginning of next year for UW, he probably won't play phenomenal enough to be a top 10 pick again in 2007. At least this way he gets rehabbing in while part of the NFL.Then again, I don't know if top 10 OL would get picked in the later 1st like McGahee was.

On this board doesn't 5' 10" 200 lbs mean he cannot be an everydown back? :D
No, but it does mean the odds are stacked very heavily against him being a featured RB for an extended period.

Anything official...the only news about a Wisconsin RB I can find is where Booker Stanley was charged with sexual assault.

He declared.... JS OnlineETA: For those without bugmenot...

UW’s All-American junior tailback on Monday informed his coaches, family and friends that he will skip his senior season and enter the April 2006 National Football League draft.A news conference has tentatively been set for Thursday at UW.“He was very thorough,” said Joe Koch, Calhoun’s coach at Oak Creek High School. “He took it all in and felt the timing was right.“When he told me I almost felt like it was me going. Just knowing how far he has come. I just keep thinking of the skinny kid who was afraid of contact as a freshman and basically wanted to walk away from football.”Now the 5-foot-10, 194-pounder is only months away from realizing his dream of playing in the NFL.“Once he got his feet wet and got a taste of it there was no turning back,” Koch said. “Right after his sophomore year in high school he knew the sky was the limit. Right from there he wanted to be an NFL player.”According to Koch, Calhoun personally informed Bret Bielema, who is set to take over as UW’s head coach on Feb. 1. Bielema, attending the American Football Coaches Association convention in Dallas, could not be reached for comment.“He wanted to be sure coach Bielema heard it from him,” Koch said.Calhoun, Koch said, expects to be selected no later than the second round and he will not be crushed if he is taken in the latter round.“He said that won’t bother him,” Koch said. “He said his dream is to be in the NFL and as long as he’s got his foot in the door he knows he’ll prove himself.”Calhoun proved himself in his lone season at UW.In 12 regular-season games, Calhoun had 73.4% of the team’s rushing total (1,423 of 1,939 yards) and 43.1% of the team’s total offense (1,986 of 4,607 yards).He capped his season in style by rushing 30 times for 213 yards and a touchdown in UW’s 24-10 upset of No. 7 Auburn in the Capital One Bowl. Calhoun thus became just the second player in NCAA Division I-A history to record at least 1,500 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards in the same season.Overall, Calhoun finished with: 348 rushing attempts, a UW season-record and the No. 7 mark in Big Ten Conference history; 1,636 rushing yards, the No. 5 mark in UW history; 53 receptions for 571 yards, both season-records a UW running back; and 2,207 all-purpose yards, the No. 2 mark in school history.According to Koch, the victory over Auburn made Calhoun’s decision easier.“I think winning that game and everything else kind of sealed the deal,” Koch said. “He felt very satisfied. I’m not saying that losing may have changed the outcome but he can sleep easy with a clear conscience now. He really feels good about going into the NFL.”With the departure of Calhoun and the uncertain status of backup Booker Stanley, who is suspended and on Monday was charged with second-degree sexual assault and multiple battery counts, UW probably will open the 2006 season with a young backfield.Jamil Walker and Dywon Rowan could be the only tailbacks on the UW roster with any college experience.However, the staff remains optimistic that three freshman tailbacks – P.J. Hill, Dion Foster and Jerry Butler – will develop into solid contributors. Hill (5-11 and 220) rushed for 4,012 yards and 48 touchdowns in three seasons on the varsity at Brooklyn-Poly Prep and appeared poised to push for the No. 2 tailback spot this past season until he suffered a broken leg in pre-season camp.Foster (5-8 and 195) resembles former UW tailback Anthony Davis, though he isn’t as fast. Butler (5-9 and 175) is the fastest of the trio and at a minimum could become a receiving threat out of the backfield.UW assistant Brian White, who is not returning to the staff next season, insists the talent cupboard is not bare. “I think all three of them are going to be good players,” White said recently.

SWEET! Hopefully he doesn't have too good of a combine day... I'm hoping him or Addai slip to 2.04 and the Jets grab them to go along with D'Brick

Any predictions, thoughts, inside info?
Wisconsin running backs are snakebit in the NFL. Best career I can think of offhand is probably Terrel Fletcher's undistinguished 10 years or so with the Chargers. Fletcher was a stud at Wisconsin and ended up being a decent third down back and special teams player in the NFL.Dayne, Bennett, Moss, ... At some point, a stigma has to start attaching to these guys and NFL gm's will not want to take a chance on them. I would probably go with Maroney before Calhoun in the NFL.

I fully expect the Vikings to draft him considering the way Winter Park is quickly becoming a suburb of Madison.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge! I was hoping that Thomas' injury might keep him at UW for one more year, and that Calhoun would stay with him. Calhoun is certainly a small blow to our program, but losing him and Thomas would make it more difficult on Bielema. Here's to hoping that Thomas sticks around. This statement from him gives us some hope:

“An MRI exam, which I had this past Friday, showed that I tore the anterior cruciate ligament in my right knee during the Capital One Bowl game against Auburn. Now, I will have surgery and begin the rehabilitation process as soon as possible. I am looking forward to next season and I am anxious for our program to continue where it left off in Orlando. I want to thank all of our fans for their support of me and our team.”

link

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge! I was hoping that Thomas' injury might keep him at UW for one more year, and that Calhoun would stay with him. Calhoun is certainly a small blow to our program, but losing him and Thomas would make it more difficult on Bielema. Here's to hoping that Thomas sticks around. This statement from him gives us some hope:

“An MRI exam, which I had this past Friday, showed that I tore the anterior cruciate ligament in my right knee during the Capital One Bowl game against Auburn. Now, I will have surgery and begin the rehabilitation process as soon as possible. I am looking forward to next season and I am anxious for our program to continue where it left off in Orlando. I want to thank all of our fans for their support of me and our team.”

link
Don't forget also losing the Oline coach to the Vikings I believe....good thing for the Badgers they will not lose as many defensive players this year like last year.

Wisconsin running backs are snakebit in the NFL. Best career I can think of offhand is probably Terrel Fletcher's undistinguished 10 years or so with the Chargers. Fletcher was a stud at Wisconsin and ended up being a decent third down back and special teams player in the NFL.Dayne, Bennett, Moss, ... At some point, a stigma has to start attaching to these guys and NFL gm's will not want to take a chance on them. I would probably go with Maroney before Calhoun in the NFL.
If you pay attention to these meaningless trends, you probably avoided LJ due to his Penn State background.What Dayne and Bennett have done in the NFL has nothing to do with what Calhoun will do.

If you pay attention to these meaningless trends, you probably avoided LJ due to his Penn State background.What Dayne and Bennett have done in the NFL has nothing to do with what Calhoun will do.
Exactly...all were/are different types of players.Calhoun, despite his size, is the most complete back the Badgers have...the praise Barry gave the kid means alot coming from coach Alvarez.

I'll do you one better. The Wisconsin system is now "pro style." That's what OC Paul Chryst brought with him when he came on board. Clearly, Calhoun showed skills that none of the other Wisconsin backs ever did. Namely, he rushed and received almost equally as well. Fletcher was a good pass catcher, but could never run it like Calhoun.In any case, I'll take the Alveraz comments to heart. Barry called him the best back Wisconsin has ever had. Good enough for me.

Exactly...all were/are different types of players.Calhoun, despite his size, is the most complete back the Badgers have...the praise Barry gave the kid means alot coming from coach Alvarez.
Will be intersted to see what his size actually is. His coaches claim he is bigger than listed, as does he.Calhoun is listed at 5-foot-10, 194 pounds on UW’s official roster, but outgoing Badger running backs coach Brian White said in August that Calhoun actually weighed 203 pounds.

Koch reiterated that Monday.

“He thinks his stock is only going to rise in the combines because he played the bowl game at 206 (pounds),” Koch said. “People don’t realize that but he was 206 on the nose for the bowl game. He plans to be 208 for the combines. He said, ‘I was never 194, I don’t know why they listed me at that.’”

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=180&p=2&c=487318

Good Luck Brian!Calhoun to Enter NFL DraftMADISON, Wis. - Wisconsin running back Brian Calhoun announced Thursday that he will forego his senior year with the Badgers in order to enter the 2006 National Football League draft. Calhoun made the announcement at a news conference at the Kohl Center on the UW-Madison campus.“The decision to leave with one year of eligibility remaining to play football was a difficult one, but was done with a lot of forethought, research, counsel, prayer and with the help of my family,” Calhoun said.The junior from Oak Creek, Wis., enjoyed a tremendous 2005 season. He was a second-team All-America choice and consensus first-team All-Big Ten selection, as well as a semifinalist for the Doak Walker Award as the nation’s top running back.Calhoun led the Big Ten this season in scoring (11.1 ppg) and all-purpose yardage (169.8 ypg). He was second in rushing (125.9 ypg). Nationally, he finished fifth, sixth and sixth, respectively, in those three categories. He finished the 2005 season with 348 rushing attempts (a UW season record and seventh-most in Big Ten history); 1,636 rushing yards (fifth-most in UW history) and 22 rushing TDs (a UW record). He also concluded the 2005 campaign with 53 receptions for 571 receiving yards (both season records for a UW running back). In addition, he accumulated 2,207 all-purpose yards, second-most in school history; scored 24 total TDs, tied for the most in a season in UW history and tied for sixth-most in Big Ten history; scored 144 points, most in school history and tied for sixth in Big Ten history.Calhoun registered nine 100-yard rushing efforts (T4th in school history) in 2005. The last of those was a 213-yard performance in the Capital One Bowl victory over seventh-ranked Auburn. It was the second-highest individual rushing total in that bowl game’s history. Calhoun was named MVP of the bowl game.In three collegiate seasons (the first two at Colorado), he rushed for 2,760 yards and 27 touchdowns, while catching 89 passes for 910 yards and four TDs.The NFL Draft will take place on April 29-30.Wisconsin Athletic Communications 1/12/2006 4:58:06 PM

I hope the guy is there in the 2nd when the Packers pick...but Im doubting it.
Well, I haven't seen a mock draft with him going in the 1st yet. I think he will underservedly have the "stain" of past Wisconsin RB busts on him, even though I agree with Alvarez's assessment completely.I think they are seen as system guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings had an eye on him if he comes out.
They have the Faison/Moore/Bennett 3-headed monster. They would have to give up on 2 of the 3 parts to draft another RB on the first day. Bennett may fit that category. Are the Vikes giving up on Faison already?

Users who are viewing this thread