What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philadelphia Eagles 2006 (1 Viewer)

Death and Taxes

Footballguy
Planning for next year assuming that we are not rebuilding and here are some ideas (will be a long post and I will add info from time to time):

Front Office and Coaching

1. Take the GM duties from Andy Reid (unlikely to happen but it needs to be done) The players may respond better to Reid if he was not such a company guy. Being a GM and a coach is a conflict of interest at times. The players need their coach to stand up against management at times for team unity sake especially after what happened last year.

2. Marty Morningwig as offensive coordinator? He will just be a puppet for Reid. This is bad. We need someone other than a yes man to second guess Reid when things are not going well.

3. Jim Johnson I do not think there is much of a problem here. This guy certainly deserves another shot and can patch up the weaknesses. He has been the most consistent piece of this team for this regime other than maybe David Akers.

4. Spend the money under the cap or just flat out rebuild. This is our last shot with this group of players. The fans do not care about deferring cap money to the next year. If you defer the money every year to the future then it is never spent all in one year. Sometimes you have to overpay now to win, then fall apart with overpaid players and rebuild after that. Take your shot or scrap this group of players. We want a Super Bowl not a team that will consistently fall short one step short every year.

OFFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY

Whew this is where I could write endless pages of suggestions. This is where the Eagles have fallen short the most and deserve the most criticism for not winning a SB when it comes down to it.

Football is a game of chess and the most simple way to be successful is to keep the defense guessing what you are gonna do.

Somehow we have taken a big play QB whose strengths are running and throwing the ball deep and whose weakness is accuracy, and have forced him to stay in the pocket and throw timing routes to receivers that drop alot of passes. On top of that we dont and cannot run the ball effectively

So what are defenses gonna do? Well uh, they are gonna defend the short pass and blitz the hell out of us. Bottom line it is easy to game plan against the Eagles offense especially with no T.O.

Most of us can see that McNabb and the West Coast offense are not effective together. Its like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Either get a QB that can run this offense or change the offense. The field needs to be stretched and McNabb needs to run the ball more (not like Vick) and keep the defense honest.

Offensive players and personel

Quarterback:

Donovan McNabb:

I like McNabb and he has many positive qualities but he deserves criticism for some major chokes in the past few years. He is not a team leader and he seems to be a yes man for Reid.

This offense needs to be changed or adapted to fit his strengths. He is the man for now but either he goes or the offensive system goes sometime in the near future.

Backup QB:

At least we found out that we have no backup QB at all and if McNabb goes down the season is most likely over. McMahon stinks and it was a waste of time watching him get the opportunity to finish the season out. Detmer is a highly paid holder. It was ashame that we did not have a young promising QB with potential to finish out the season. There is word that AJ Feeley could be back to the team. This position should be addressed in the offseason.

Running Back

Westbrook is a great fit for the West Coast Offense and he is a game breaker.

Moats is also a gambreaker but does not have the polish that Westbrook has right now. He has alot of potential though.

Gordon( Free agent) or whoever his replacement will be. We should be looking next year to run the ball more effectively inbetween the tackles. This is not necessarily any of the RBs fault but more of an offensive line and play calling issue.

Parry at FB is just a 6th offensive lineman as most FBs are nowadays. I see him as an average player and should take some criticism for the Eagles not being able to run the ball effectively.

Wide Recievers and Tight End

Drops, Drops, Drops and put the whole T.O. disaster behind us. This one of our most glaring needs and will be addressed later in this post.

Alot to say about this position. Is it not a prerequisite to be drafted and play in the NFL that you can catch the football? I dont get it. Is it a combination that McNabb is not accurate and these guys cannot catch? Whatever the problem may be it needs to be corrected. Even when McMahon was in the game there was just too many catchable balls that were dropped.

Reggie Brown:

I like Reggie Brown and hopefully some of the passes he dropped were just because he was a rookie. He made some nice plays and showed some promise. However he cannot be considered a number one WR at this point. Probably a questionable number two receiver also if you want to win a SB.

Greg Lewis and Todd Pinkston (if he comes back):

Number three WRs at best. These players have too many deficiencies to be relied on. Lewis took a step back in 2005 IMO and Pinkston was average when he was healthy.

Billy McMullen:

Should be waived and was a wasted draft pick. Tired of seeing balls bounce off his chest and facemask.

L.J. Smith:

Is a hot topic of debate. The guy is athletic and puts up good numbers but may be a bit overrated. He just drops too many balls, fumbles and has blocking deficiencies to be given a free pass. Hopefully he is young enough to improve these aspects of his game. Not a position of glaring need but should not be ignored.

Offensive Line

As cliche as it sounds but the game is usually won in the trenches and the OL took a step back this year due to injury. It has been a pretty solid unit over the years. Maybe just a little bit overated in run blocking which showed this year. Losing Mayberry and Welbourne did hurt a bit. Our tackles are getting a little aged and at the moment there is nothing but question marks in between them.

I believe this an area of the team which needs some repair.

Jon Runyan:

Probably the only stable player they had in 2005. He had his ups and downs but for the most part is pretty solid. Even took a pay cut when asked and seems to be popular with the fans. I think they should resign him but he is old and has been around for a while. Tackle is a hard position to upgrade through the NFL by free agency and they could do alot worse. Rookie tackles rarely step in and excel immediately and veteran tackles cost alot of money.

Tra Thomas:

For years you did not hear this guys name mentioned during the games other than he is a Pro Bowler which is good if you an offensive lineman. Lately his play has fallen off with some penalties and just getting beat more often. Now throw in an injury on top of that and he seems not to be the player he used to be. I really have not heard much about his injury since it happend so I dont know how serious it is. Hopefully he comes back and is at least 80% because like I said with Runyan, tackle is hard position to fill in the NFL.

Shawn Andrews:

I spent alot of time just focusing on him when the Eagles season was for the most part over. He will be at minimum, a solid NFL offensive lineman with the potential of being a good one. He was for the most part a rookie this year because of his injury last year. His weight condition is a concern though.

Hank Fraley/ Jamaal Jackson:

I would say below average or at best question marks here. Fraley was a undrafted free agent signing and is average at best when he is healthy. Jackson is questionable and probably a backup on a good offensive line.

Artis Hicks:

Has started a good amount of games for the Eagles in the past two years. Not overly impressed with him but he has filled in nicely for injured players when needed. Still questionable and should be a position that can be upgraded.

Todd Herremans:

Nice frame for an NFL tackle and got some good experience when he stepped in for Thomas this year. Not ready yet to be a starting tackle in the NFL on a SB contender but has some potential.

DEFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY

The defense has been the backbone of this team for years now. As much hype as Reid, McNabb and the West Coast offense has gotten, it has choked in big games numerous times where the defense has been somewhat consistent for the most part except for 2005.

We have been lucky to have some of the better defensive coordinators over the past years, Buddy Ryan, Ray Rhodes, Bud Carson and Jim Johnson.

I like the defensive personel philosophy for the most part and Jim Johnson's system has made some average players look good.

The Eagles seem to focus on pressuring the QB which they had done up until 2005. Almost exclusively focusing on the Def line and backfield with major signings and the draft has worked well for a while up until 2005. The constant shuffle of outside linebackers and plugging in average players finally caught up with us this year.

Defensive Line:

The loss of Simon and Burgess did hurt the Eagles no doubt. Simon had conditioning problems and Burgess had injury problems but they were major contributors in 2004. I probably would not have given them the big contracts either but you have to replace them somewhat with other players which did not happen. We could use another DE and DT that are better than just average players that we seem to have.

Jevon Kearse:

The Freak had a below average year, probably because almost every other position was depleted of talent and he faced alot more attention. Kearse came to the Eagles with some injury baggage and a big contract. He needs to produce and there is no excuses. Him pressuring the QB determines the success of the defense. Bottom line is he gets big paycheck he needs to make big plays.

N.D. Kalu/Trent Cole/J. McDougal:

Kalu Free Agent for 2006. Seemed to have a quiet season which is bad when you are a DE. Cole stepped in somewhat admirably and made some noise but not sure what he can do for the whole season. This was McDougal's year to step up and make an impact as a #1 pick. Cant say he was heading in that direction before he was shot but hopefully he will be in the mix for 2006. This position needs to be solidified with a signing or some draft help.

Darwin Walker:

Walker seemed to be steal a few years back when I believe we signed him as a free agent after he was cut. He does contribute in the rotation of DTs when he is healthy. A solid player but not a star nor does he have the potential to be one.

Mike Patterson:

Played well for a rookie and made some positive contributions. Hopefully he improves his play next year and upgrades this position.

Thomas/Rayburn/Grasmanis:

All are situational players for the most part. Thomas offers no pass rush. Rayburn is a tough player but is average a best. Grasmanis is injured most of the time.

Bottom line is we need another DT that is a full time starter and not just a situational player.

Linebacker

Lets roll down the list: Shawn Barber, Carlos Emmons, Nate Wayne, Ike Reese, and there may be a few more in the past. OLB has been a revolving door. All played relatively well in JJ's system and went elsewhere and have done very little more than contribute as average players. The problem is other than maybe Wayne, I would rather have any one of them over our current OLBs.

Jeremiah Trotter:

This guy has been nothing but great since he came back to the Eagles. Great against the run and can be counted on to make big plays. Not to mention he has stepped up as a leader on the team. Took less money to stay in Phila I beleive in the off season or at least gave the Eagles a chance to match. What more could the guy do?

Keith Adams/Dhani Jones:

The game of musical NFL OLBs was played again and when the music stopped these two guys weren't fast enough to get chairs and we signed and started them. Why would a guy who wears a bow tie think he is gonna fit in in Phila? He needs a red nose, wig and floppy feet to match. Seriously we need a playmaker at one of these positions.

Mark Simoneau:

A solid player if you watch him but not a great starter. I feel comfortable with him as a backup. He can even kick extra points in a pinch.

Matt McCoy:

Wasnt this guy a higher draft choice in 2005? Why wasnt he on the field for almost every down after we knew the season was over so he can get experience and be evaluated? Did I miss something here?

Defensive backs:

The strength of the defense. The good news is that we are not as bad as we played in 2005. Bottom line when the QB is pressured, these guys were making the plays as in 2004. The pressure was just not there this year. We were rushing 8 men and not getting to the QB leaving sparse coverage for too long of a time. We have too many other needs to even think about addressing this position in the off season.

Brian Dawkins:

A true team leader. This guy can just flat out tackle and make big plays. I am waiting for him to lose a step and he may have but he is just a great football player and has compensated for aging with just being a talented player.

Michael Lewis:

Appeared to have take a small step back in 2005 IMO in regards to his pass defense and taking a few really bad penalties. Never the less, this guy can hit and is a monster against the run. I think he will only get better with Dawkins teaching him the finer points of the position. We are set for years here.

Sheldon Brown:

The best cornerback on the team and should be a Pro Bowl player.

Lito Shepard:

The only question mark for 2006. He has the talent and it is just a matter of him rebounding from the injury.

Roderick Hood/ Matt Ware:

Got some valuable experience with Shepard out. I am comfortable with either of these guys being the nickel back for 2006.

Special Teams:

Drop off in production in 2005. You know it is a rough season when your kicker and punter get hurt. We seemed to have lost big play capability with our returners. It was nice having Mitchell, Reid and Westbrook in the past knowing that you could get a gamebreaking return every once in a while. Hood/Wynn and Mahe just did not provide it this year. I wonder if they plan to try Moats at returning kicks? He has the big play potential.

David Akers:

This guy is tough for a kicker. He has just been great over the years and deserved every penny of his contract extension. Even with the injury, he battled back and kicked well. He is a major asset on the team.

Sean Landeta:

I can remember when this guy kicked for the Philadelphia Stars. I guess he is coming back but not really sure.

PLANNING FOR 2006

It should be a busy offseason and there is no exact science to this plan because alot depends on many factors that cannot be predicted at this point. I will start off with an outline of the plan and fill it in later of what I think needs to be done and in what order.

Keep in mind that the first three needs are real close as far as order goes.

1. Offensive Line

Can we coax Steve Hutchinson to come here like we got Runyan to leave Tennesee when they were a championship team? Tough to draft immediate impact OL. It usually take a few years for OL to become a solid player in the NFL. Need a free agent signing for at least one postion on the OL for 2006. Move Andrews to tackle? Runyan and Thomas both back? Fraley injury? Alot that needs to be addressed here.

2. Wide Receiver

It's obvious that we need help at this position. It's amazing how much better the WCO runs when you have receivers that are talented especially since the Eagles pass 60% of the time. Hopefully the front office is past the point where they believe that we cannot just put any WR out on the field.

Although there may not be that one superstar WR out there that is an absolute gamebreaker as far as free agents goes, there seems to be some help available.

The big name WR out there is Reggie Wayne. Although I think he would improve the Eagles, I do not like his price tag for what he will bring to the table. I would rather them spend big cap money on OL/DL help. Most of us recognize that he may just be a product of the system in Ind. There is other free agent help out there that I like not necessarily in order of preferance:

First tier:

Antonio Bryant: Had a career year with Trent Dilfer as his QB. This guy has some game breaking capability is young and should be on the Eagles radar. Probably my prime choice.

David Givens: See what the market commands. Young player and may be a pricey FA. Is he a product of Tom Brady? Worth taking a shot on depending on the price tag.

Antwan Randle El: Is a gamebreaker that can also return punts with some questionable WR weaknesses. Not my first choice at WR but he is better than what they have except for maybe Reggie Brown.

Brandon Lloyd: A roll of the dice if anything if the Eagles come up short at this postion in free agency. The guy has talent but may some some behavior issues. Wouldnt you have issues if you were a WR for the 49ers for the past two years?

Joe Jurevicius: Not a game breaker but I would be happy just for a veteran who can catch and run routes.

Keenan McCardell: See above explanation.

Other names if the Eagles come up short and want to gamble with a FA signing and a high draft choice:

Arnaz Battle(restricted), Jabar Gaffney: products of struggling offenses

Rod Gardner

Restricted free agents: Kevin Curtis, Shaun McDonald, Nate Burleson,

And of course there are they veteran WR's that will be cut or looking to be traded like Eric Moulds, who can help the Eagles.

3. Defensive Line

I suggest high draft choice(s) again at these position(s). Hoping that Patterson improves and McDougal comes back and starts to contribute.

Big name available is John Abraham but he seems to be a malcontent and will be high priced and we already have Kearse with the big price tag.

Some second tier DE players available are Marcellus Wiley and Marco Coleman.

DT postion as far as free agency goes is slim.

4. Outside Linebacker

This is one of the harder positions to plan for at the moment and that is why I list it forth. The list of free agents appears to be thin but that does not mean that veteran players will not become available after contracts are evaluated and cuts are made.

What I am saying is that I do not see the Eagles signing a high priced free agent here or drafting an OLB high in the draft.

One question I mentioned earlier is that why did they not play Matt McCoy more when playoff hopes were over for evaluation and experience purposes?

Is it feasible to move Simoneau back to the outside?

5. Backup Quarterback

There are numerous unrestricted free agents out there. More than likely half of them won't come to Phila because they will resign with their current team or they will more than likely want to compete for a starting spot. Here is the list of potential candidates that I like not in any order as of yet:

Jamie Martin

Jeff Garcia

John Kitna

Josh McKnown

Kurt Warner

Other candidates Free agent QBs

6. Punt and Kick Returner

I don't have alot of suggestions here other than upgrades are necessary and try to address the lack of big plays. Maybe they could try and use Moats as a kick returner or sign a free agent. Who will be available?

7. Running Back:

This need is relatively easy to fill. We need a bigger back than BW and RM to run inbetween the tackles and on the goal line. Dont have to spend alot of money here. I would not be upset if they resigned Gordon, or possibly will Duece Staley be available and willing to come back? Please not Buckhalter, he is a piece of glass and unreliable.

8. Full Back

Difficult to evaluate this position. Was it Parry's fault that BW was getting hit in the backfield consistenly or was it the OL. Parry should take some of the blame for the ineffective running game. Not a major need but should be evaluated.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need LB help. We need an explosive kick and punt returner. We need more DT depth.

Planning for next year assuming that we are not rebuilding and here are some ideas (will be a long post and I will add info from time to time):

1. Take the GM duties from Andy Reid (unlikely to happen but it needs to be done) The players may respond better to Reid if he was not such a company guy. Being a GM and a coach is a conflict of interest at times. The players need their coach to stand up against management at times for team unity sake especially after what happened last year.

2. Marty Morningwig as offensive coordinator? He will just be a puppet for Reid. This is bad. We need someone other than a yes man to call a spade a spade when it is necessary.

3. Jim Johnson I do not think there is much of a problem here. This guy certainly deserves another shot and can patch up the weaknesses. He has been the most consistent piece of this team for this regime other than maybe David Akers.

4. Spend the money under the cap or just flat out rebuild. This is our last shot with this group of players. The fans do not care about deferring cap money to the next year. If you defer the money every year to the future then it is never spent all in one year. Sometimes you have to overpay now to win, then fall apart with overpaid players and rebuild after that. Take your shot or scrap this group of players. We want a Super Bowl not a team that will consistently fall short one step short every year.

OFFENSIVE PHILOSPPHY

Whew this is where I could write endless pages of suggestions. This is where the Eagles have fallen short the most and deserve the most criticism for not winning a SB when it comes down to it.

Football is a game of chess and the most simple way to be successful is to keep the defense guessing what you are gonna do.

Somehow we have taken a big play QB whose strengths are running and throwing the ball deep and whose weakness is accuracy, and have forced him to stay in the pocket and throw timing routes to receivers that drop alot of passes. On top of that we dont and cannot run the ball effectively

So what are defenses gonna do? Well uh, they are gonna defend the short pass and blitz the hell out of us. Bottom line it is easy to game plan against the Eagles offense especially with no T.O.

Most of us can see that McNabb and the West Coast offense are not effective together. Its like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Either get a QB that can run this offense or change the offense. The field needs to be stretched and McNabb needs to run the ball more (not like Vick) and keep the defense honest.

Quarterback:

Donovan McNabb:

I like McNabb and he has many positive qualities but he deserves criticism for some major chokes in the past few years. He is not a team leader and he seems to be a yes man for Reid.

This offense needs to be changed or adapted to fit his strengths. He is the man for now but either he goes or the offensive system goes sometime in the near future.

Backup QB:

At least we found out that we have no backup QB at all and if McNabb goes down the season is most likely over. McMahon stinks and it was a waste of time watching him get the opportunity to finish the season out. Detmer is a highly paid holder. It was ashame that we did not have a young promising QB with potential to finish out the season. There is word that AJ Feeley could be back to the team. This position should be addressed in the offseason.

Running Back

Moats is also a gambreaker but does not have the polish that Westbrook has rignt now. He has alot of potential though.

Gordon( Free agent) or whoever his replacement will be. We should be looking next year to run the ball more effectively inbetween the tackles. This is not necessarily any of the RBs fault but more of an offensive line and play calling issue.

Parry at FB is just a 6th offensive lineman as most FBs are nowadays. I see him as an average player and should take some criticism for the Eagles not being able to run the ball effectively.
I really disagree with all the negative things in this post, outside of the Eagles backup QB being terrible.Being a GM and a HC is a conflict of interest at times? And having 1 GM and 1 separate HC won't create conflicts? Reid has done an excellent job assembling talent for the Eagles, and he knows what his team needs the most.

I don't know why Marty Mornhinweg won't call a spade a spade (or what that even means), and while I agree that he appears to be a downgrade from Childress, I don't think this is a big issue. I'm sure Mornhinweg will be fine as the OC.

Jim Johnson is great, agreed.

Why would the Eagles rebuild? Why would they overspend on players? Neither of those ideas make any sense. The Eagles are a great team that got hit with key losses this year (their top 2 players). Perhaps there was some complacency/SB hangover, but that should't be a problem this year.

McNabb isn't a team leader? :unsure:

McNabb is a yes man for Reid? (What does this even mean and what is the relevance?) :loco:

McNabb is one of the top QBs in the NFL. The WCO is also a great fit for him, since he's mobile and intelligent.

The Eagles need some WRs and to improve their pass rush. They do that and they'll be contending for the SB again.

Greg Lewis and Todd Pinkston (if he comes back):Number three WRs at best. These players have too many deficiencies to be relied on. Lewis took a step back in 2005 IMO and Pinkston was average when he was healthy.\
Pinkston as #3? Hardly...He would be horrid as a slot receiver. He is an outside WR, or nothing.I think Reggie Brown COULD develop into a solid #1. He showed a lot of potential this year. You can't expect him to be a consistent #1 his rookie season with Greg Lewis opposite him and McMahon throwing the ball.

1.  Take the GM duties from Andy Reid (unlikely to happen but it needs to be done)  The players may respond better to Reid if he was not such a company guy.  Being a GM and a coach is a conflict of interest at times.  The players need their coach to stand up against management at times for team unity sake especially after what happened last year.

2.  Marty Morningwig as offensive coordinator?  He will just be a puppet for Reid.  This is bad.  We need someone other than a yes man to call a spade a spade when it is necessary.

3.  Jim Johnson  I do not think there is much of a problem here.  This guy certainly deserves another shot and can patch up the weaknesses.  He has been the most consistent piece of this team for this regime other than maybe David Akers.

4.  Spend the money under the cap or just flat out rebuild.  This is our last shot with this group of players.  The fans do not care about deferring cap money to the next year.  If you defer the money every year to the future then it is never spent all in one year.  Sometimes you have to overpay now to win, then fall apart with overpaid players and rebuild after that.  Take your shot or scrap this group of players.  We want a Super Bowl not a team that will consistently fall short one step short every year.

OFFENSIVE PHILOSPPHY

Whew this is where I could write endless pages of suggestions.  This is where the Eagles have fallen short the most and deserve the most criticism for not winning a SB when it comes down to it. 

Somehow we have taken a big play QB whose strengths are running and throwing the ball deep and whose weakness is accuracy, and have forced him to stay in the pocket and throw timing routes to receivers that drop alot of passes.  On top of that we dont and cannot run the ball effectively 

So what are defenses gonna do?  Well uh, they are gonna defend the short pass and blitz the hell out of us.  Bottom line it is easy to game plan against the Eagles offense especially with no T.O.

Most of us can see that McNabb and the West Coast offense are not effective together.  Its like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  Either get a QB that can run this offense or change the offense.  The field needs to be stretched and McNabb needs to run the ball more (not like Vick) and keep the defense honest.

Quarterback:

Donovan McNabb:

I like McNabb and he has many positive qualities but he deserves criticism for some major chokes in the past few years.  He is not a team leader and he seems to be a yes man for Reid. 

This offense needs to be changed or adapted to fit his strengths.  He is the man for now but either he goes or the offensive system goes sometime in the near future.

Backup QB:

At least we found out that we have no backup QB at all and if McNabb goes down the season is most likely over.  McMahon stinks and it was a waste of time watching him get the opportunity to finish the season out.  Detmer is a highly paid holder.  It was ashame that we did not have a young promising QB with potential to finish out the season.  There is word that AJ Feeley could be back to the team.  This position should be addressed in the offseason.

Running Back

Moats is also a gambreaker but does not have the polish that Westbrook has rignt now.  He has alot of potential though.

Gordon( Free agent) or whoever his replacement will be.  We should be looking next year to run the ball more effectively inbetween the tackles.  This is not necessarily any of the RBs fault but more of an offensive line and play calling issue.

Parry at FB is just a 6th offensive lineman as most FBs are nowadays.  I see him as an average player and should take some criticism for the Eagles not being able to run the ball effectively.
I really disagree with all the negative things in this post, outside of the Eagles backup QB being terrible.Being a GM and a HC is a conflict of interest at times? And having 1 GM and 1 separate HC won't create conflicts? Reid has done an excellent job assembling talent for the Eagles, and he knows what his team needs the most.

I don't know why Marty Mornhinweg won't call a spade a spade (or what that even means), and while I agree that he appears to be a downgrade from Childress, I don't think this is a big issue. I'm sure Mornhinweg will be fine as the OC.

Jim Johnson is great, agreed.

Why would the Eagles rebuild? Why would they overspend on players? Neither of those ideas make any sense. The Eagles are a great team that got hit with key losses this year (their top 2 players). Perhaps there was some complacency/SB hangover, but that should't be a problem this year.

McNabb isn't a team leader? :unsure:

McNabb is a yes man for Reid? (What does this even mean and what is the relevance?) :loco:

McNabb is one of the top QBs in the NFL. The WCO is also a great fit for him, since he's mobile and intelligent.

The Eagles need some WRs and to improve their pass rush. They do that and they'll be contending for the SB again.
Wow, where do I start?1. The Eagles have lowballed their players for years now (all except McNabb). Although I actually like the approach the Eagles have taken (not an Eagles fan but live outside Philly now), it tends to wear on the players. If Reid is the GM and heavily involved in negotiations as he is, this ticks off players when they dont get the contract offer they want.

2. Morningweg is a TERRIBLE choice for OC. He is a big time putty tat and does not have the respect of the players.

3. Why would the Eagles OVERSPEND on players? Maybe the original post used the wrong terminology but the Eagles need to spend to the cap this year. Last year they let a number of veterans go (Ike Reese, Derrick Burgess, Corey Simon etc.) and replaced them with 2nd tier talent and draft picks. They had 13 choices in the draft and I believe they used them all. A team like the Eagles that just missed winning the SB needed to package some picks and move up for impact players. Maybe they tried and couldnt, I dont know. But the perception is that the Eagles scrimped in the offseason and stuck the money in their pockets.

4. McNabb as team leader? Not this past year and the future is in doubt. The Eagle locker room was split by the TO/McNabb riff. McNabb was viewed by many Eagles as an Uncle Tom. He got him $100 million and didnt care about the rest of them. He didnt speak out on behalf of Owens or Westbrook getting more money. Most NFL players are all about ego and manhood. While McNabb got good press by taking the high road and acting with class by not responding to TO's insults, he lost the respect of his teammates. Also, dont forget how he blew the Dallas game with the interception to Roy Williams and then bailed on his teammates with the same injury he had been playing with all year.

5. I do believe that McNabb is a good match for the WCO.

6. It was only one game but in the SB, all of McNabbs receivers (TO, Pinkston, Lewis, LJ Smith, Westbrook) were making great catches. McNabbs passes were ALL over the place in the SB and his WR's bailed him out a ton. I know it wasnt the same core of WR's this year so maybe they developed a case of the dropsies this year.

Philly will still have the talent next year but repairing the psyche of the team will be Andy Reids biggest challenge.

4.  McNabb as team leader?  Not this past year and the future is in doubt.  The Eagle locker room was split by the TO/McNabb riff.  McNabb was viewed by many Eagles as an Uncle Tom.
:link:
How do I link Philadelphia sports radio? The term uncle Tom was not used on the radio but the above sentiment was aired on both TO's radio show and Jeremiah Trotter's radio show as well as WIP.

4. McNabb as team leader? Not this past year and the future is in doubt. The Eagle locker room was split by the TO/McNabb riff. McNabb was viewed by many Eagles as an Uncle Tom.
How do I link Philadelphia sports radio? The term uncle Tom was not used on the radio but the above sentiment was aired on both TO's radio show and Jeremiah Trotter's radio show as well as WIP.
I'd be shocked to hear that most of the Eagles players view McNabb as an Uncle Tom.

Skins fans here, but always enjoy good posts like this that inspire good conversation. :thumbup:

4.  McNabb as team leader?  Not this past year and the future is in doubt.  The Eagle locker room was split by the TO/McNabb riff.  McNabb was viewed by many Eagles as an Uncle Tom.
I'd be shocked to hear that most of the Eagles players view McNabb as an Uncle Tom.
I didnt say most, I said many. The locker room was split. Hugh Douglas even talked about it. After everything that TO did to McNabb, how come 20-25 Eagles showed up at the TO birthday party in Atlantic city a week or two before the end of the season?McNabb's rep on the team took a Major hit. As I said, many players thought McNabb was a putty tat for not responding in a more forceful manner to the comments of TO.

This Eagle season really turned into a Players vs. Management type of thing (especially before they signed Westbrook and Akers at the last second). A number of Eagles players went on record during the TO arbitration hearing saying that they wanted him back. They did this even after McNabb made his locker room "your either with me or against me" speach. Many players felt McNabb was part of management in this struggle.

Also, after the season when McNabb was criticized by the Philadelphia head of the NAACP, McNabb was quoted as saying "And what happened to those that have gone against me? They have been fired (Rush Limbaugh and TO)." Kind of a cocky management slanted attitude.

Skins fans here, but always enjoy good posts like this that inspire good conversation. :thumbup:
J-dub...I know you are not right in the Philly area but did any of the things I have been saying leak into the Baltimore news? It has really been a cluster F in Philly this year.

4. McNabb as team leader? Not this past year and the future is in doubt. The Eagle locker room was split by the TO/McNabb riff. McNabb was viewed by many Eagles as an Uncle Tom.
I didnt say most, I said many. The locker room was split. Hugh Douglas even talked about it. After everything that TO did to McNabb, how come 20-25 Eagles showed up at the TO birthday party in Atlantic city a week or two before the end of the season?McNabb's rep on the team took a Major hit. As I said, many players thought McNabb was a putty tat for not responding in a more forceful manner to the comments of TO.

This Eagle season really turned into a Players vs. Management type of thing (especially before they signed Westbrook and Akers at the last second). A number of Eagles players went on record during the TO arbitration hearing saying that they wanted him back. They did this even after McNabb made his locker room "your either with me or against me" speach. Many players felt McNabb was part of management in this struggle.

Also, after the season when McNabb was criticized by the Philadelphia head of the NAACP, McNabb was quoted as saying "And what happened to those that have gone against me? They have been fired (Rush Limbaugh and TO)." Kind of a cocky management slanted attitude.
Interesting. I find it hard to believe that the players sided with TO over McNabb, and I thought McNabb handled the situation pretty well. Also, players generally don't get mad when their teammates get paid.

Does anybody remember what the Eagles were like BEFORE Andy Reid?Does anybody remember the DISASTER that was Ray Rhodes?I have to laugh at couch potatoes taking Reid to the woodshed. Of course, he's made mistakes. So has the Tuna, so has Belichick (though not many), so has Shanahan, so did Walsh.It's one thing to say the Eagles need to improve here and there. It's another thing to say the whole thing is all wrong, Andy, and let me give you the benefit of my considerable experience. Just like those fans gave Andy Reid the benefit of their considerable experience when they almost rioted over taking McNabb instead of Ricky Williams.Most teams looking for coaches right now would be willing to kill to get Andy Reid.

Interesting. I find it hard to believe that the players sided with TO over McNabb, and I thought McNabb handled the situation pretty well. Also, players generally don't get mad when their teammates get paid.
Any othe Philly area guys want to validate that many of the Eagles players actually sided with TO in the TO/McNabb mess?You play right into what I am saying, from the media and outside perspective, McNabb handled it with class. Teammates feel that he lacked a backbone in letting TO walk all over him.

Players dont get mad when their teammates get paid unless it is only ONE teammate being paid. Tom Brady took less money to allow some of his teammates to get paid. McNabb was earily quiet when Westbrook and Owens were trying to get paid. McNabb wasnt the only QB with a faux pas this year. Favre should not have come out against his teammate Javon Walker regarding his negotiations.

If LenDale White is there at 14, draft him... Then trade Moats... (he was drafted in the 2nd round... perhaps he is worth a 2nd rounder now?)You make good points... but the prob;em is Reid wont change... we will have the same philosophy during the remainder of his tenure...I don't know the answer to this ?... Were we so dominant earlier in part because the rest of the NFC East sucked? I imagine it will be a lot harder to regain dominance with a good Giants, Skins and Cowboys...

Does anybody remember what the Eagles were like BEFORE Andy Reid?

Does anybody remember the DISASTER that was Ray Rhodes?

I have to laugh at couch potatoes taking Reid to the woodshed. Of course, he's made mistakes. So has the Tuna, so has Belichick (though not many), so has Shanahan, so did Walsh.

It's one thing to say the Eagles need to improve here and there. It's another thing to say the whole thing is all wrong, Andy, and let me give you the benefit of my considerable experience. Just like those fans gave Andy Reid the benefit of their considerable experience when they almost rioted over taking McNabb instead of Ricky Williams.

Most teams looking for coaches right now would be willing to kill to get Andy Reid.
:goodposting: Andy Reid, even with this 6-10 season, is one of the winningest coaches in the league. He went to 4 NFC championship games and had five seasons were they went 11-5, 11-5, 12-4, 12-4 and 13-3 with a trip to the Super Bowl. Now one debacle of a year and Eagles fans [myself excluded] want the guy burned in effigy?

I'll say it again and probably a 1,000 more times over the course of my life...THANK GOD the typical fan doesn't have influence over the decisions made by good football teams. No one wanted Jeff Lurie to hire Reid. No one wanted him to give Reid football control. I've discussed ad nauseum the myriad personnel moves the fans didn't want that turned out great [McNabb over Ricky, letting Hugh and Trot go, not paying S. Barber big money, letting Taylor and Vincent leave, etc...]

And I want to take specific issue with this notion that the Eagles perennially underpay their players aside from McNabb?

Eagles were willing to pay Trotter top-10 LB money, he wanted more, so they pulled the transition tag and let him walk

Eagles were willing to pay Corey Simon top-5 DT money, he wanted more, so they pulled the franchise tag and let him walk
The Eagles signed Jon Runyan, a RIGHT TACKLE, to one of the biggest FA contracts an o-lineman had ever signed
The Eagles gave Tra Thomas a lucrative long-term extension two years before he was up for UFA
The Eagles paid TO $13 million over the two years he was with the team
The Eagles signed Westbrook to a deal that is among the top four or five by a RB in the NFL to date
They gave Jevon Kearse the largest contract for a DE in league history
The signed unproven [on the field] players like Greg Lewis, Artis Hicks and Sam Rayburn to long-term deals years before they were under any obligation to do so
The Eagles extended David Akers through 2010, INCLUDING paying him a $3.7 million salary this year [for a kicker!] even though he was injured at the timeOn an adjunct note...Jeff Lurie:

Signed Andy Reid to an extension through 2010 that's believed to make him among the highest paid coaches in the NFL
Brad Childress [prior to taking the Minny job] was signed to TWO extensions, both times making him the highest paid OC in the league...he made $1.5 million last season
Jim Johnson has also been given several raises, last year he two became the highest paid DC in the league [and has since been surpassed by Gregg Williams and Monte Kiffin]The only players who claim the Eagles lowballed them and have a case are those veterans the Eagles let walk and I've yet to see one who proved on the field they were worth keeping at their asking price.

The only players who claim the Eagles lowballed them and have a case are those veterans the Eagles let walk and I've yet to see one who proved on the field they were worth keeping at their asking price.
Burgess. I'm with you on all the others but you did ask for one and he sure did earn his money this year.

Does anybody remember what the Eagles were like BEFORE Andy Reid?

Does anybody remember the DISASTER that was Ray Rhodes?

I have to laugh at couch potatoes taking Reid to the woodshed. Of course, he's made mistakes. So has the Tuna, so has Belichick (though not many), so has Shanahan, so did Walsh.

It's one thing to say the Eagles need to improve here and there. It's another thing to say the whole thing is all wrong, Andy, and let me give you the benefit of my considerable experience.  Just like those  fans gave Andy Reid the benefit of their considerable experience when they almost rioted over taking McNabb instead of Ricky Williams.

Most teams looking for coaches right now would be willing to kill to get Andy Reid.
:goodposting: Andy Reid, even with this 6-10 season, is one of the winningest coaches in the league. He went to 4 NFC championship games and had five seasons were they went 11-5, 11-5, 12-4, 12-4 and 13-3 with a trip to the Super Bowl. Now one debacle of a year and Eagles fans [myself excluded] want the guy burned in effigy?

I'll say it again and probably a 1,000 more times over the course of my life...THANK GOD the typical fan doesn't have influence over the decisions made by good football teams. No one wanted Jeff Lurie to hire Reid. No one wanted him to give Reid football control. I've discussed ad nauseum the myriad personnel moves the fans didn't want that turned out great [McNabb over Ricky, letting Hugh and Trot go, not paying S. Barber big money, letting Taylor and Vincent leave, etc...]

And I want to take specific issue with this notion that the Eagles perennially underpay their players aside from McNabb?

Eagles were willing to pay Trotter top-10 LB money, he wanted more, so they pulled the transition tag and let him walk

Eagles were willing to pay Corey Simon top-5 DT money, he wanted more, so they pulled the franchise tag and let him walk
The Eagles signed Jon Runyan, a RIGHT TACKLE, to one of the biggest FA contracts an o-lineman had ever signed
The Eagles gave Tra Thomas a lucrative long-term extension two years before he was up for UFA
The Eagles paid TO $13 million over the two years he was with the team
The Eagles signed Westbrook to a deal that is among the top four or five by a RB in the NFL to date
They gave Jevon Kearse the largest contract for a DE in league history
The signed unproven [on the field] players like Greg Lewis, Artis Hicks and Sam Rayburn to long-term deals years before they were under any obligation to do so
The Eagles extended David Akers through 2010, INCLUDING paying him a $3.7 million salary this year [for a kicker!] even though he was injured at the timeOn an adjunct note...Jeff Lurie:

Signed Andy Reid to an extension through 2010 that's believed to make him among the highest paid coaches in the NFL
Brad Childress [prior to taking the Minny job] was signed to TWO extensions, both times making him the highest paid OC in the league...he made $1.5 million last season
Jim Johnson has also been given several raises, last year he two became the highest paid DC in the league [and has since been surpassed by Gregg Williams and Monte Kiffin]The only players who claim the Eagles lowballed them and have a case are those veterans the Eagles let walk and I've yet to see one who proved on the field they were worth keeping at their asking price.
:goodposting:

2. Marty Morningwig as offensive coordinator? He will just be a puppet for Reid. This is bad. We need someone other than a yes man to second guess Reid when things are not going well.
I was thoroughly impressed with the Eagles and Cowboys draft(Bengals was pretty good too BTW). Whomever is responsible for the draft should stay. I also think they withstood the loss of Corey Simon extremely well. Someone was "dead wrong" on the backup QB situation but they've also gotten rid of some quality secondary players and not missed a beat also. They have an excellent transition going and that's essential in today's NFL IMO. If that's Reid, it's crazy to take it away from him.Mornhinweg knows plenty of offense and isn't that bad at all. There's a reason he was an NFL HC and that Reid+Co grabbed him when they could.

A few things: - I'm sick of hearing that the "window of opportunity is closing". There's no doubt there will be a higher than normal turnover on the roster this offseason, but McNabb is still 29 and signed for several more seasons , Westbrook is 26 and just signed an extension, the starting corners are 26 and 24 and have been signed thru extensions.- The Eagles gained two fourth rounders and lost a sixth rounder in the 2006 draft from last year's trades. Yes, I wanted them to trade up early in the draft as well but Patterson and Brown both contributed well in their rookie years.- The OL looks like it has a depth of good or decent players but doesn't have any great players, especially if Runyan and Tra Thomas leave.- On the bright side, I think this is ND Kalu's last year. Outside of Kearse, Patterson, and Trotter, the rest of the starting front 7 on defense could be different next year.-While all of the fans are concentrating on a WR and a big RB, I think Reid returns to his roots and worries about the line of scrimmage and loads up on OL and DL.- Guys who I'd love to see replaced: Detmer/McMahon, Mahe, McMullen, Kalu.

My feeling is that if the team is not going to have a shot at a ring, it makes more sense to develop a 2-year plan. I'm not sure the Eagles are necessarily in that boat, but they just might be. If I were at the healm, I would seriously consider trying to use this year to get rid of any dead weight in the salary cap, load up on and develop young talent, and then come back strong in 2007. WRs take time to develop, and last time I checked, that has been the problem in Philly for years. TO's success in the system showed me that McNabb was not the reason for his WRs sucking. Now, if only there were any other guys in the NFL with TO's talent...

My feeling is that if the team is not going to have a shot at a ring, it makes more sense to develop a 2-year plan. I'm not sure the Eagles are necessarily in that boat, but they just might be. If I were at the healm, I would seriously consider trying to use this year to get rid of any dead weight in the salary cap, load up on and develop young talent, and then come back strong in 2007. WRs take time to develop, and last time I checked, that has been the problem in Philly for years. TO's success in the system showed me that McNabb was not the reason for his WRs sucking. Now, if only there were any other guys in the NFL with TO's talent...
A) They have no cap issues, they were $12 million under last year [most in the league] and the cap is going to grow considerablyB) The "dead weight" is primarily Tra Thomas and Jon Runyan at this point [Kearse is overpaid too, but they're going to keep him around] and I think both are almost assuredly gone this offseason. The Eagles anticipated this hence the signings/drafting of Hicks, Andrews, Herremens, and Jackson [who will replace Fraley]

C) The Eagles have Reggie Brown, Billy McMullen and Greg Lewis...all young receivers. Brown acquitted himself quite well as a rookie, and Reid [right or wrong] has given every indication that he's a) the most talented receiver they've seen outside of TO and b) is well on his way to being the Eagles #1.

Ultimately I expect the Eagles to bring in a VETERAN receiver to complement Pinkston, Lewis, Brown and McMullen. Someone like Ike Bruce or Eric Moulds who would be willing to come in and play for a veteran team making a playoff run. Unlike many teams, Moulds and Bruce could come to Philly next year and remain the #1 receiver in our offense.

We REALLY need to bolster our front. The Eagles defense fell apart because of the team's inability to get consistent pass rush this year. Trent Cole showed promise as a situational pass rusher, and obviously Kearse remains effective albeit overpaid. However, the team needs two things to happen. One, it needs Mike Patterson to flourish in Year 2. Two, it needs to add at least two solid DL prospects or free agents in the draft. Remember, Hollis Thomas is probably going to be sent packing too, so the Eagles won't rule out adding a veteran tackle.

The defensive backfield remains exceptional, and their lower-then-expected productivity was a direct result of the lack of pass rush, not their losing a step. Provided Sheppard is healthy next year [all accounts are he will be], they remain well stocked and deep in the secondary.

And, as others have alluded, we DESPERATELY need to add a proven veteran QB to backup Donovan. We got by with smoke a mirrors a few years ago with Feeley and Koy, we had Blake but didn't need him two years ago, and then had to rely on Mike McMahon last year which was :X .

There's no doubt that the Eagles need DT help, but it might be a blessing they didn't pay Simon Top 5 money based on how invisible he looked today.

Lots of good information listed here. First, nice comprehensive post by Death and Taxes to get the ball rolling.I'm sure I'll add more later but:1. Andy Reid is certainly a top flight coach. Yes I remember the days of Rich Kotite and Ray Rhodes, so the experience since Reid and McNabb has been far better than those two eras. The HC slot was a vacuum since Buddy Ryan, which led the team with 3/4 of a team - Defense, special teams and Randall Cunningham (little else on the offense was really coached).Reid does have a weakness that gets little attention. He manages the clock very poorly. This has been a problem for years, but hasn't really come to the forefront for most observers because the Eagles have been so good over the past 5 seasons. In 2004, the Super Bowl season, the Eagles were 13-1 and rested the last 2 games. They not only won 13 games, they dominated most of those and won by two or more scores. The only time that clock management really came up that season it was heavily criticized - the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl (why aren't they running the 2-minute drill??).In 2005 there were a few occasions where the Eagles had terrible play calls in the last 2 minutes before halftime and did not even get a FG try. I do not remember the particular games, but the evidence is out there if you don't recall the specifics. Bottom line is that Reid needs to acknowledge the weakness (something he does not do often) and get a sideline / clock coach. Reid also does not do a very good job with replay challenges nor committing to the run game, but the latter has been well discussed.2. Offense. The #2 QB is a problem - agreed. #1 WR is also an issue, yet again (see Philly pre-TO). TE is an issue in the blocking aspect, not necessarily in receiving. LJ is a Top 10 TE as a receiver, but his blocking is suspect.The offensive line could use upgrades, which I would welcome in the draft.Veterans need to be brought in to address the QB and WR spots. Rookies do not excel at either position (typically) so FA / veterans are the definite way to go. Moulds / Bruce and a capable #2 QB (Collins? Kitna? Volek? Garcia? Brooks?). There are numerous candidates, but they need to be able to make the throws and have the skills to step in to the starter slot if Donovan goes down and have the team not suffer drastically.3. Defense - Linebackers and lineman. Pressure up front and outside LBs are a must. Draft both positions and look for talent on the FA market. The secondary is youthful (except Dawkins, but he's a stud) and talented. The LBs have been patched together for too long.4. Players lost - Burgess was an anomaly - he excelled in the 2004 playoffs after being sidelined with injuries. He parlayed that into a big contract, and the Eagles did not want to sign him with his injury track record. For the most part the Eagles have cut and not signed players at the right point in their careers.5. Donovan - He is the de facto team leader, but did lose some support with the TO fiasco. So did Reid. They both tried to take a higher road but the mudslinging from TO and Drew "Next question" Rosenhaus was hard to combat. The locker room was divided by friends of TO and those who wanted his talent back on the team vs. the rest of the team, and with TO and Drew continuing to talk at any open mike that they could find the comments became pervasive and divisive. McNabb and Reid tried to lead the team and ignore the situation, but it only got worse. We don't need to revisit it but Donovan and Reid did lose some support. On the other hand, McNabb did support Westbrook getting paid - I don't have a link but he appeared on ESPN and/or Fox stating as much. 6. 2006 Draft - OL, DL, and LB. Lendale White is a good talent but I don't know if he fits Reid's version of the WCO. He caught just 14 passes last year, so I don't know if he fits well in the system. If he will be the banger to complement Westbrook, that would be fine. The Eagles don't call too many runs and are a big screen team. Back when the Eagles had Westbrook / Duce Staley / Buckhalter they mixed those 3 in well, so a Westbrook / White / Moats combo could work with Westbrook getting his 15-20 touches and the others getting 5-10 a game. That might work. I don't know about using their first rounder on White though with so much already invested in Westbrook now and having Moats already. They do like to have one bigger back (a la Lamar Gordon or Dorsey Levens), but that likely is not their biggest need. I would suspect that LB or OL/DL would be the first choice.7. 2006 Season - I totally disagree with using a 2 year plan. The Eagles were decimated by injuries and TO last year and now have a more favorable schedule (yes 14 of 16 games match the rest of the division, but I'll take 2 games of GB and SF). The Eagles should be competitive if they bolster the lines and the LB corps, and bring in a new #1 WR. It will be a tougher division, but the Eagles could make another run to the playoffs next season.

Tom Heckert was named GM a couple weeks ago. Time will tell how much influence Reid still exerts.Reid is an excellent planner but an average to below-average in-game coach. He has trouble adjusting and, as noted above, has trouble managing the clock. The team seems lost in a 2-minute drill. Supposedly the play calls are so intricate that it takes a long time to get them in. This makes it difficult for McNabb to run a hurry-up offense and to have a chance to survey the field before the snap.Burgess was excellent this year, but at the end of last year he had had 2 good playoff games and a lot of time missed with injury, so it was hard to justify paying him the same money as Oakland offered. Shawn Barber played very well the year after they let him go, but again he was offered ridiculous money. Corey Simon would have been an asset this year. Whether he really would have been worth the franchise tag salary, I don't know, but they seemed to cut him at least partially out of spite.

persoanlly I think Reids playcalling is abysmal, I don't like his offensive game plan at all and his clock management is very poor...Unless the Iggles are steamrolling teams like last year, and AR actually has to coach, the Iggles will struggle.Jim Johnson is the best coach the Iggles have.

persoanlly I think Reids playcalling is abysmal, I don't like his offensive game plan at all and his clock management is very poor...

Unless the Iggles are steamrolling teams like last year, and AR actually has to coach, the Iggles will struggle.

Jim Johnson is the best coach the Iggles have.
Right, because the four years prior to 2004...when the Eagles weren't "steam rolling" through other teams, the Iggles struggled. :rolleyes: 11-5

11-5

12-4

12-4

All before "steam rolling" at 13-3 the next year

Oh, and take a look at Reid's record coming off bye weeks and in MNF games.

Hey Jason, heres a newsflash...the NFC has sucked since 2001. SUCKED!!! Can you, with a straight face, tell me Fat Andy hasnt been terrible at playcalling or clock management when it's mattered? Take off the kelly green glasses (or whatever color your team changed it's colors to).The Iggle defense is impressive, regardless of the pitiful competition, but thats attributed to Jim Johnson.Andy Reid is marginal at best.

Throwing out some FA names the Eagles should target this offseason...

Rocky Bernard, DT - Probably the top available defensive tackle. Seahawks may be cash strapped if they sign Alexander to a big contract.

Steve Hutchinson, OG - A stout run blocker and skilled pass blocker, he would be an excellent replacement for Artis Hicks. Could be available for the same reason detailed above.

Will Witherspoon, OLB - Could be a big-time defensive playmaker in Jim Johnson's scheme. Dhani Jones needs to pack up his bowties and hit the bricks.

Jeff Garcia, QB - The best bet to run the WCO successfully if McNabb should go down again. Possibly could be had on the cheap after 2 lackluster seasons.

Javon Walker, WR - Could fill Owens' shoes nicely if he's healthy and his head is screwed on straight. Has been a headache in the past, but his decision to fire uberslime Drew Rosenhaus could be a sign of maturity. Doesn't hurt that his new agent, Fletcher Smith, also represents McNabb and Westbrook. Could be expensive as a RFA but Green Bay may decide to non-tender him given his past attitude and questionable health.

I'd love to see the Birds pursue TJ Duckett in a trade (he's reportedly available), and there could be some very interesting cap casualties. (Moulds, Spikes, Arrington, Lloyd, Kleinsasser, etc.) I can't begin to predict their draft strategy (Tamba Hali :thumbup: ), but I hope they will address an overall lack of depth. A gamebreaking punt/kick returner would be a nice addition as well.

Rocky Bernard, DT - Probably the top available defensive tackle. Seahawks may be cash strapped if they sign Alexander to a big contract.

Steve Hutchinson, OG - A stout run blocker and skilled pass blocker, he would be an excellent replacement for Artis Hicks. Could be available for the same reason detailed above.

Will Witherspoon, OLB - Could be a big-time defensive playmaker in Jim Johnson's scheme. Dhani Jones needs to pack up his bowties and hit the bricks.

Jeff Garcia, QB - The best bet to run the WCO successfully if McNabb should go down again. Possibly could be had on the cheap after 2 lackluster seasons.

Javon Walker, WR - Could fill Owens' shoes nicely if he's healthy and his head is screwed on straight. Has been a headache in the past, but his decision to fire uberslime Drew Rosenhaus could be a sign of maturity. Doesn't hurt that his new agent, Fletcher Smith, also represents McNabb and Westbrook. Could be expensive as a RFA but Green Bay may decide to non-tender him given his past attitude and questionable health.

I'd love to see the Birds pursue TJ Duckett in a trade (he's reportedly available), and there could be some very interesting cap casualties. (Moulds, Spikes, Arrington, Lloyd, Kleinsasser, etc.) I can't begin to predict their draft strategy (Tamba Hali :thumbup: ), but I hope they will address an overall lack of depth. A gamebreaking punt/kick returner would be a nice addition as well.
Walker was a 1st round pick who signed a deal greater than 3 years long. He's not an RFA.

Walker is in the last year of his deal. The Packers will likely re-sign him once he's proven that he's fully recovered from his knee injury but I would love to see Reid and co. make an offer for him. Walker's chances of a full recovery are excellent, learning curve would be low, and the Eagles have blown high picks on WRs (Freddie Mitchell and Pinkston). Worth the risk IMO given that the team will be healthier next season and they're drafting primarily for depth. The other choice is to sign a veteran WR but how difficult is it to learn Reid's system? Could a veteran WR like Moulds or Bruce pick it up quickly enough? Bruce problably could given his experiences but could Moulds?

Less passing and more running in the play calling. I still remember the KC game when the Eagles were up by 10 with 2 1/2 minutes left, 2nd down on the KC 10, I think KC was out of timeouts, McNabb already banged up. Instead of running the ball, they threw it both time resulting in no time off the clock, the chance of an interception and McNabb getting racked on the third down play. What a ridiculous series. It seemed that other ones during 2005 were just as bad.

Less passing and more running in the play calling. I still remember the KC game when the Eagles were up by 10 with 2 1/2 minutes left, 2nd down on the KC 10, I think KC was out of timeouts, McNabb already banged up. Instead of running the ball, they threw it both time resulting in no time off the clock, the chance of an interception and McNabb getting racked on the third down play. What a ridiculous series. It seemed that other ones during 2005 were just as bad.
Along those same lines, in 4th quarter of the San Diego game, prior to the field goal block miracle, on what at the time looked liked it would be the Eagles last chance. 4th and 1. McNabb drops straight pack, gave that useless play action fake that wouldn't even freeze the most undisciplined linebacker, and then a pathetic over the middle pass to no one that fell harmlessly incomplete. Should have been game over. 4th and 1???!?? Forget about running the ball and being stopped short, Andy Reid couldn't even call a running play. Until this team gets the pass/run ratio at least down to the 60/40 range, i foresee a number of seasons with between 6 and 9 wins

Hey Jason, heres a newsflash...the NFC has sucked since 2001. SUCKED!!! Can you, with a straight face, tell me Fat Andy hasnt been terrible at playcalling or clock management when it's mattered? Take off the kelly green glasses (or whatever color your team changed it's colors to).

The Iggle defense is impressive, regardless of the pitiful competition, but thats attributed to Jim Johnson.

Andy Reid is marginal at best.
Regardless of the state of the NFC East, the Eagles did have the most regular season wins in the NFL in that 5 year span ending last year, so you gotta give Reid some credit. This team was a complete mess when he took over. However, I will agree that the clock management and decision making at the end of the half and end of the game must be addressed, by both Reid and McNabb. McNabb has an uncanny ability to waste a timeout during the team's opening drive in the first quarter. I remember in the Bronco game he called timeout prior to a third and 24 play in the first quarter. I mean come on, it's 3rd and 24, accept the fact that you're about to punt and save the damn timeout, you might need it later.

The Eagles also left 3 points on the table at least twice last season. At the end of the 1st half of the Charger game, McNabb completed an 8 yard pass to LJ Smith, he was tackled at the 5 yard line as time expired with the Eagles holding no timeouts (and yes, McNabb definitely used 1 of those timeouts in either the first or second drive, I can't remember). That's inexcusable. And the other time, end of the first half at Washington, that was another certain 3 points that McNabb blew, I'm not sure what he thought he was doing there.

you guys are showing some great effort in this thread with some true sweat and heart... keep it up!!!(unzips pants over Kool-aid and aims)unfortunatly the result will be the same... no Lombardi trophy in Philly.Death and Taxes should change his name to Death , Taxes , and the Eagles not winning a Super Bowl.

So if I understand Death and Taxes correctly, the Eagles should:Demote Andy ReidSpend all their cap moneyGet rid of McNabb or start over with an entirely new offensive schemeMagically produce a top flight Defensive TackleAdd a playmaking outside linebackerand then draft every position except QB, TE and the secondary.As a Giants fan, I think this is excellent advice and should be followed to the letter.

So if I understand Death and Taxes correctly, the Eagles should:

Demote Andy Reid

Spend all their cap money

Get rid of McNabb or start over with an entirely new offensive scheme

Magically produce a top flight Defensive Tackle

Add a playmaking outside linebacker

and then draft every position except QB, TE and the secondary.

As a Giants fan, I think this is excellent advice and should be followed to the letter.
:lmao:

While I am an Eagles fan, my main team is Seattle. There's no shot Hutchinson is available - he'll get franchised or signed. Bernard, maybe, but I doubt it. The Seahawks ahve plenty of room under the cap - remember that Alexander was franchised this year, and his number could go down with proper structuring. I seriously doubt it will go up - signing bonus will be spread over a number of years.

Demote Andy Reid

As a Giants fan, I think this is excellent advice and should be followed to the letter.
what is wrong with spending all their money under the cap?why make fun of death and taxes because he sure makes a good point.

i'm not saying completely mortgage your future and make every contract back-heavy, but the eagles are consistently UNDER the cap year after year.

what would you prefer, a team that makes the conference championship and is $10 million under, or a team that goes all the way by spending up to the amount they are allowed. Management made a big mistake in my opinion by nickel and diming when the team was soooooooo close to winning it all, and who knows when we will get another chance that good? and where is all that unspent cap money going? answer: Lurie's pocket

Demote Andy Reid

what is wrong with spending all their money under the cap?why make fun of death and taxes because he sure makes a good point.

i'm not saying completely mortgage your future and make every contract back-heavy, but the eagles are consistently UNDER the cap year after year.

what would you prefer, a team that makes the conference championship and is $10 million under, or a team that goes all the way by spending up to the amount they are allowed. Management made a big mistake in my opinion by nickel and diming when the team was soooooooo close to winning it all, and who knows when we will get another chance that good? and where is all that unspent cap money going? answer: Lurie's pocket
I don't have a problem with a team spending their cap money, provided there's something worth spending it on. The Eagles have proven themselves incredibly efficient at protecting the cap by not giving fat contracts to players who may be at the tail end of their prime. It's precisely one of the reasons the Eagles have been able to maintain their success for as long as they have. It's not a popular decision when fan favorite veterans leave for money elsewhere but from where I sit I'd rather my team continue to win, even if it means I've got to buy a new jersey every couple of years.

I don't think this years bottom out was due to a lack of money being spent. They got hit with some horrible injuries and had to deal with a team cancer who put his own agenda ahead of the team at every opportunity.

I would like the Eagles to look at someone of Aaron Kampman's ilk. He's a hard working rotation type guy who can play DE and DT in a pinch.

For the most part I agree with you except for a couple of points.I admit that letting go Trotter, Barber, Vincent and Taylor were all great calls. I was especially upset when they let Trotter go and they tried to tell us that Simoneau was gonna replace him and everything would be fine. However I was wrong in all 4 of the above instances and I admit that.I also agreed with letting Burgess go. There is no way in the world they could've matched the Raiders offer and even though he had a good year it's only a matter of time before he returns to form and gets hurt again. I hate to say it and I'm not rooting for it, just calling a spade a spade.However letting Simon go I hated. And in general, I hate the way they continue to put a patchwork front 7 together year after year on defense. Jim Johnson is a great defensive mind, however, is the team so cocky that they think they can basically throw together any 7 players and the defense will succeed because of the system?? They must realize that it is not only the system that matters, but the players within the system. Our interior defensive line is embarassing. We need a defensive end opposite Kearse. Maybe Cole will emerge, I don't know. And we need new linebackers. Trotter is great against the run but can't cover. And all of our other LBs should be backups not starters. It is our weakness at LB that has made us soft vs the run the last few years and also made us so susceptible to giving up big days in the passing game by opposing tight ends.In general, for the most part I respect the eagles front office for making smart decisions. however, there is a fine line between managing the cap intelligently and pinching pennies and depriving your fans of putting the best possible product on the field out of greed. and the eagles have come dangerously close to crossing that line.and blaming T.O. for last season's mess is very convenient, and i know that's what the front office wants everyone to believe but i'm not buying it. if the eagles put as much effort into winning actual football games as they did into winning the public relations battle with T.O. we wouldn't be having this rebuilding discussion right now

Be careful what you wish for when it comes to Moulds. He drops his share of passes, he is a me-first player like TO, he can be a lockerroom cancer, he is getting older, and he is injury prone. But it may be that he just needs a change of scenery and can put up some good number for a couple of years, especially if he can play with a decent QB.

What is the latest on Westbrook...I've heard conflicting reports that he will be ready by training camp or that he may miss part of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread