What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breakdown of Texas/Vince in RoseBowl(with Video) (1 Viewer)

Hawk

Footballguy
This is a pretty impressive breakdown, and well worth spending a little time on. I liked the Leinart breakdown the Saints fan did, and I posted this on that thread too, but I thought it could use its own thread. Its not focused only on Vince, but obviously he is the main attraction. It also contains a breakdown of Texas' defense.

http://rpongett.phpwebhosting.com/rosebowl06.html

Here is an excerpt from his breakdown with some interesting stats including that 75/76 plays Texas ran on offense were run using the exact same formation. Highly unusual.

"Except for field goals, punts and one running out the clock, Texas ran 76 conventional offensive plays. Here was the breakdown of formations:

3 WR 1 RB Shotgun: 75 plays

I-Formation: 1 play

And that lone I-Formation play was on a 4th and 1 where Texas lost 3 yards.

I haven't checked, but I'm fairly sure no college offense in a championship game has lined up in a nearly identical formation 75 of 76 times. Not even Nebraska with its option attack lined up nearly identically every time. Theoretically, its almost suicide. Defenders dropping in zones get used to your routes out of that formation, the QBs reads, etc. The front seven start to see similar runs out of that formation, and are no longer surprised. Defensive proficiency increases by repetition alone. Plus, few defensive personnel changes are required, so there is little scrambling even in that regard. But it made sense with Young unleashed. Maximize Texas' players' abilities to make the right read every time re routes and blocking, then let Young decide how to terminate the defense with the options a spread out field and correctly executing blockers and receivers afforded him.

Carroll knows defense, and USC tried nearly everything. Pretty amazing looking at all the blitzes and formations he used. Blitzed every damn gap, many times with multiple players and multiple gaps. He went from stretches using 5 DLs, to stretches using only 3 DLs. These weren't specialty situation (e.g., 3rd and 15 or 4th and 1) formations and plays. He was throwing them at Texas on 1st and 10. Young commented on that after the game. None of it worked, but he sure as hell busted his ### putting together the mother of all defensive gameplans."

Those videos just confirmed it - Young is going to get eaten alive by NFL DB's. Good luck getting WR's wide open like that in the NFL.

Sure. I mean Steve Smith certainly wasn't able to get open like that all day against the best defense in the NFL. The fact that Vince was often throwing to open receivers also means that he was making good reads and getting the ball to the best spot. It also helps that Vince generally has more time to throw so receivers can get more open. The added time is partly due to a really good offensive line at Texas, but it is also partly due to Vince being able to buy time with his feet and to the pass rush not being able to go all out after him because of the huge running threat he presents.

Those videos just confirmed it - Young is going to get eaten alive by NFL DB's. Good luck getting WR's wide open like that in the NFL.
So the guy took advantage of wide open WRs. Isn't that his job? I don't see how this means he's going to get "eaten alive by NFL DB's."

So the guy took advantage of wide open WRs. Isn't that his job? I don't see how this means he's going to get "eaten alive by NFL DB's."
Show me one NFL throw he made? 75 of 76 plays were from the shotgun and the only passes he completed over 20 yards were when guys were wide open from blown coverage.

Show me one NFL throw he made? 75 of 76 plays were from the shotgun and the only passes he completed over 20 yards were when guys were wide open from blown coverage.
I seem to recall a story about Petyon Manning calling his dad midway through his first NFL season. To paraphrase the conversation:Peyton: Dad, no one is ever open.

Archie: "Open in the NFL is not the same as "open" in College.

Peyton adjusted. I would put money on Vince adjusting as well.

Be that as it may, the point still stands.

I'm still waiting to see the college QB that always threads the needle to covered receivers deep down the field on every snap...Colin

The problem with transition from college to NFL is this: the NFL has virtually every advantage available in college covered.How many people ask - why is there no option play in the NFL? The same question is - why not run every play out of the shotgun (like Texas)?Reason is they've got it covered. The athletes are better, the schemes are better.You can kind of look at the NFL as college-evolved. There is a reason why certain things don't work (non-stop shotgun, option) - because the NFL has such better athletes and schemes that those plays just plain don't work.Is there a chance that VY can break that mold? Perhaps, though I seriously doubt it. Instead, because of the sophistication and skill of both coaches and players the "best" way to play the NFL game is pretty much determined.And if you don't fit in, you best learn, or perish.Methinks VY has one helluva lot of learning to do.

I'm still waiting to see the college QB that always threads the needle to covered receivers deep down the field on every snap...

Colin
All I'm asking for is one...

I'm still waiting to see the college QB that always threads the needle to covered receivers deep down the field on every snap...

Colin
All I'm asking for is one...
Sept. 10, 20054th 02:37 UT - Sweed, Limas 24 yd pass from Young, Vince (Pino, David kick)

7 plays, 67 yards, TOP 2:23, UT 23 - OHIOST 22

That's one...

Last edited by a moderator:
Those videos just confirmed it - Young is going to get eaten alive by NFL DB's.  Good luck getting WR's wide open like that in the NFL.
HELLO? Are you an alias of mine? I have been saying the EXACT same thing since the Rose Bowl.

HELLO? Are you an alias of mine? I have been saying the EXACT same thing since the Rose Bowl.
Well, be thankful that you've only been wrong in your assessment for less than a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those videos just confirmed it - Young is going to get eaten alive by NFL DB's.  Good luck getting WR's wide open like that in the NFL.
Well, be thankful that you've only been wrong in your assessment for less than a month.
How could I possibly be wrong when Vince Young hasnt played a down in the NFL yet? Are you RIGHT about Vince Young? Where is your proof?Its only opinion at this stage.

How could I possibly be wrong when Vince Young hasnt played a down in the NFL yet? Are you RIGHT about Vince Young? Where is your proof?Its only opinion at this stage.
I can't show you a literal NFL throw, of course. I also can't show you an NFL run Reggie Bush has made nor an NFL pancake Brick has made, etc.I CAN point out acts at the college level that look like they'll translate to the next level. I've seen every game Young has played that has been on Television (pay per view, cable, network, closed circuit, etc.) and he has made "nfl-style" throws.

Colin

I can't show you a literal NFL throw, of course. I also can't show you an NFL run Reggie Bush has made nor an NFL pancake Brick has made, etc.I CAN point out acts at the college level that look like they'll translate to the next level. I've seen every game Young has played that has been on Television (pay per view, cable, network, closed circuit, etc.) and he has made "nfl-style" throws.

Colin
Not to mention he's made "nfl-style" runs, led "nfl-style" comeback drives, and displayed ""nfl-style" leadership needed out of the QB position.

My point is in your use of the word WRONG. I am not wrong until he actually does it in the NFL, which I dont think he will successfully.You and Warehouse have your opinion. I think you are misguided by Texas bias (you WANT him to be great in the NFL) but I cant say that you are WRONG.

My point is in your use of the word WRONG. I am not wrong until he actually does it in the NFL, which I dont think he will successfully.

You and Warehouse have your opinion. I think you are misguided by Texas bias (you WANT him to be great in the NFL) but I cant say that you are WRONG.
You clearly have not seen my actual commentary about the Longhorns. I am not a fan in the least.I apologize for hurting your feelings by using the word "wrong"; I didn't realize the discussion was focues on the LITERAL definition of "NFL throw." I said your assessment of his passing ability was wrong, of that I am sure.

COlin

My point is in your use of the word WRONG. I am not wrong until he actually does it in the NFL, which I dont think he will successfully.

You and Warehouse have your opinion. I think you are misguided by Texas bias (you WANT him to be great in the NFL) but I cant say that you are WRONG.
2 things:1) You are right in that Colin has a UT bias, but it's anti-Longhorns, not pro-Horns

2) This isn't about WANT. It's about being objective about a player who has imposed his will on a team sport like very, very few in the history of team sports has ever done.

Second week of the season. Texas is losing in the Horseshoe. It's been a hard hitting brutal game. The crowd is louder and more intense than any NFL stadium . Texas has the ball near midfield.

Code:
1st-10, TEX48    4:54 	 V. Young rushed up the middle for 4 yard gain2nd-6, OHST48  4:47  V. Young incomplete pass to the right3rd-6, OHST48  4:42  [B]V. Young passed to J. Charles to the left for 10 yard gain[/B]1st-10, OHST38  4:37  V. Young rushed to the right for no gain2nd-10, OHST38  3:53  [B]V. Young passed to J. Charles to the left for 8 yard gain[/B]3rd-2, OHST30  3:47  OHST committed 5 yard penalty1st-10, OHST25  3:44  J. Charles rushed up the middle for 1 yard gain2nd-9, OHST24  3:04  [B]V. Young passed to L. Sweed to the left for 24 yard touchdown. [/B]D. Pino made PAT
All three of the completions were legit NFL quality throws. The first one was a classic out with a comeback from a covered receiver. Young had to throw it hard, on a rope to the sidelines, and he had to place it precisely. Perfect. Great throw. The second one was different. He had to lead a receiver away from the defense with a little more touch. Maybe not what you consider an NFL throw, but certainly a throw every NFL QB must make and many struggle with. Perfect, and he was under all kinds of pressure. The TD was as good a pass as I have seen any college player make all year. Sweed was covered. Young was under pressure. There was one spot on the field he could throw the ball over thirty yards away from him, and he had to get it there fast. Perfect. Texas wins. Young's a stud with a very strong and accurate arm. It doesn't look pretty, but it works for him, and he is so good under pressure.

You clearly have not seen my actual commentary about the Longhorns. I am not a fan in the least.I apologize for hurting your feelings by using the word "wrong"; I didn't realize the discussion was focues on the LITERAL definition of "NFL throw." I said your assessment of his passing ability was wrong, of that I am sure.

COlin
You may not be a fan but you seem to be high on their players - Benson, now Young.

And FYI, I know the guy who wrote this whole article and he is a big-time Longhorn homer. He's a very, very good writer though.

COlin
You may not be a fan but you seem to be high on their players - Benson, now Young.
There have been MANY people high on those 2 players that weren't Longhorn fans. Hell, Benson went 4th and Young will probably go top 3-why do you think this is particular to Colin?

COlin
There have been MANY people high on those 2 players that weren't Longhorn fans. Hell, Benson went 4th and Young will probably go top 3-why do you think this is particular to Colin?
It just seems that people, not just Colin, tend to be higher on players they've seen a lot that's all.By the way:

Young took a break in his off-season training routine and flew to Miami to join 11 other players in the college football all-star challenge, which airs Saturday on ESPN.
Vince shows off his arm

Guilty as charged - I feel like more of an authority on Horns, Aggies, and Vols because that's who I TRY to watch each week. THe Horns are local, so despite my disdain for them in general, I tune in to watch the talented players they have. My wife has the A&M connection, and I am Vols fan, so that's why that interest is there.It is a coincidence that UTex has had so many good prospects of late. As tough as I am on Kiper, I agree with his forecast of Huff to the 49ers 7th overall as Huff is way versatile and a seasoned player with lots of game knowledge and instincts.

I will freely admit to a Texas bias. I have season tickets, I've seen every game Vince has played. You are right that I "want" Vince to succeed, but Texas fans have a pretty good basis for thinking he will. He's made plenty of NFL throws, but its more about his leadership, charisma, and will to win. The guy flat out refuses to lose. His personality and confidence were so strong, they even had a major influence on the coaching staff (hard to explain if you're not a Texas fan).It started with the Ok.State game his sophmore year. He had struggled in earlier games, but he brought Texas back from a 35-7 deficit and somehow turned it into a Texas blow-out 56-35. The next game against Kansas he brought Texas back from a 10 point 4th quarter deficit including converting a 4th & 18 on the final drive and throwing a perfect 20 yard TD with 11 seconds left. The team and fans started to believe they couldn't lose with Vince in the game. Nothing shakes the guy. Hell, he still hasn't lost a game since.Then he has a HUGE Rose Bowl aginst Michigan overcoming a 10 point 4th quarter deficit again by just carrying the team on his back. Then he does it again on the road at Ohio State and again on the road versus Ok. State. Then he caps it with the Rose Bowl against USC. When Texas stopped White on 4th down, you knew the game was over. You could feel it, they had no shot at stopping Vince. Bottom line, Vince is the best player to ever wear a Texas uniform, just edging out Earl Campbell. Texas has put tons of guys in the NFL, many of whom had a lot of success, but Vince is better than all of them. Therefore any Texas fan will have a hard time even imagining the possibility that he could fail. That's just not Vince.

Users who are viewing this thread