What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

After Bush - would you take White or Williams? (1 Viewer)

If your NFL team is looking for a rookie RB and Bush is gone, who do you take?

• LenDale White

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DeAngelo Williams

• other (name the other rookie)

• Total voters
Before seeing where they go...

1. WIlliams

2. Bush

3. WHite.

For the record, I like this trio better than last year's crew, and that's saying something considering how much I was pimping last year's guys at this point in time. THat opinion comes from the fact that I still am not sold on Ronnie Brown. Long term, however, I think Carnell WIlliams will have the most productive career.

I'm a 1.02 owner, planning on taking White for 2 reasons:

1. White is a bruising runner who breaks tackles, has a great burst, and a knack for the endzone. His Rose Bowl performance showed him to be a man among boys against a very tough defense. I need to learn more about Williams, but I don't think he matches this profile at all.

2. I have a hunch that White will be drafted by a team who wants an every down, pounding back (with the upside of Alexander and LJ), whereas Williams could go to a team and compete for a finess role (say in Arizona or Minnesota, etc) with players who are comparable to himself, and he could struggle or be slow to develop if the situation doesn't create a ton of opportunities for him.

Just wondering who the sharks like after R. Bush.
This is silly, because they are completely different RBs. Williams is an all-purpose shifty back, and White is a power runningback with deceptive speed.It depends on the team...

This is how it will drop in my latest mock:

Bush ---> NY Jets

Williams --> Falcons

White --> Vikings

Bush will split time with CMart

Williams will split time with Dunn

White will split time with Fason

So..... make of that what you will, but none of the rookie backs this year will be a dominant fantasy producer.... most I see is maybe No.2 back by LenDale White

I would take White no matter what team he ended up on, because he'll get the goal-line carries.

I wouldn't take bush in a redraft league as anything as an overproducing backup (so he'd be way gone by the time his value makes him a worthy pick), and Williams to me would be a bye-week fill-in.....

That said, whatever unknown player ends up carrying the load for Carolina or Indy will be the money picks.....

If your NFL team is looking for a rookie RB and Bush is gone, who do you take?
Why is everyone talking Fantasy here? :confused: I'm a Pats homer...If both White/Williams were available to them in the 1st, I would love to see Deangello in the backfield. He's the complete package who would be a lethal weapon lining up behind Brady.

I'm not as enamored with Williams as most around here. His Senior Bowl week helped him tremendously in my eyes, but I still think he might be a little overrated. I have some concerns about the competition he faced and wasn't very impressed with his highlight video.

On the other hand, I think White is actually underrated. I got to watch him play almost every week and I think he'll be a great power back if he keeps his head on straight. His style is perfectly suited to the NFL (kind of a cross between Shaun Alexander and Jamal Lewis). I think I'd have to put my money on him. He doesn't have as much potential as a receiver and isn't as much of a big play threat, but he can be the kind of game-controlling back that grinds teams down.

I don't normally prefer the "workhorse" type back over the gamebreaker, but White is a high YPC guy who appears to have all the skills necessary to become a dominant 20+ carry/game ball carrier. You really can't go wrong with that.

I'm still not sold on Bush as the sure fire hall of famer everyone makes him out to be. I don't think he'll be Rashaan Salaam or anything but I don't think he's the best back in this year's class...

I'm still not sold on Bush as the sure fire hall of famer everyone makes him out to be. I don't think he'll be Rashaan Salaam or anything but I don't think he's the best back in this year's class...
I like White, but I have to chime in on Bush. I agree that he might not be the best RB in the class, BUT he is the best weapon. Teams can line him up as a WR and he can return kicks/punts. He is a threat for a TD every time he touches the ball. In fantasy terms, he might turn out to be kinda like Vick, a player who is inconsistent and scores in non-traditional ways for his position. I think he's going to be a great NFL player, but I agree this hall of fame stuff is way too much hype. Let's see him play a down first.

I'm not as enamored with Williams as most around here. His Senior Bowl week helped him tremendously in my eyes, but I still think he might be a little overrated. I have some concerns about the competition he faced and wasn't very impressed with his highlight video.

On the other hand, I think White is actually underrated. I got to watch him play almost every week and I think he'll be a great power back if he keeps his head on straight. His style is perfectly suited to the NFL (kind of a cross between Shaun Alexander and Jamal Lewis). I think I'd have to put my money on him. He doesn't have as much potential as a receiver and isn't as much of a big play threat, but he can be the kind of game-controlling back that grinds teams down.

I don't normally prefer the "workhorse" type back over the gamebreaker, but White is a high YPC guy who appears to have all the skills necessary to become a dominant 20+ carry/game ball carrier. You really can't go wrong with that.
I agree that you can't go wrong with White, but Williams is a guy like Cadillac who has the right mix of skills to get the job done. He doesn't amaze you when you watch him so it's easy to overlook his talents. Watching him play I'm reminded of Emmitt Smith - a little small, not super fast, but a gamer. The fact that he went to the Senior Bowl when he didn't have to was impressive. I would take Williams over White mainly because he has been successful as the feature back all four years of college. The main negative I see is that he played in a weaker conference and didn't have to face top teams every week.

Just wondering who the sharks like after R. Bush.
White will split time with Fason
A. White will not last until the Vikings pick at 17, especially with Green Bay, Arizona, Baltimore and others picking before them.B. Ciatric Fason is a poor man's power back, not a finess guy who splits time with a power back. The Vikes used him on goal line carries and on short yardage situations as they would have used Moe Williams had he been healthy. The likelihood of White splitting time with a guy like Fason is equal to the likelihood of me growing another sphincter and pooping out enriched uranium.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that you can't go wrong with White, but Williams is a guy like Cadillac who has the right mix of skills to get the job done.  He doesn't amaze you when you watch him so it's easy to overlook his talents. 
The problem with that comparison is that I actually was pretty amazed by Cadillac's highlights. He has a real nice ability to use little stutter moves to slide right out of tackles. He does a lot of little things that amaze you. In that sense he's actually similar to Bush. Cadillac is a little more instinctive and powerful, but Bush is a better athlete.
Watching him play I'm reminded of Emmitt Smith - a little small, not super fast, but a gamer.  The fact that he went to the Senior Bowl when he didn't have to was impressive.  I would take Williams over White mainly because he has been successful as the feature back all four years of college.  The main negative I see is that he played in a weaker conference and didn't have to face top teams every week.
A lot of people here like Williams quite a bit. I'm sure he's a very solid prospect, but I still like the USC backs more. I think Bush is a real gem and I think White is going to make a great pro if he stays motivated. That said, I really haven't seen as much of Williams as I have of White and Bush. This may partiall explain why I presently prefer the two USC backs, although I'd argue that I'm not necessarily biased towards Pac-10 players (never really liked Carson Palmer or Mike Williams that much).

Anyhow, I think it's a good year to need a RB. We're looking at four probable first rounders and one guy who could very easily go to a RB-needy team in the 2nd (Brian Calhoun).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a shark, but count me as a 1.02 owner who is undecided, and will be until after the draft.
:blackdot: I'm picking 2nd in two dynasty leagues next year. I'm pretty sure I'll take Bush if the guy ahead of me in either doesn't because they're in the camp that thinks White will be a better pro. I just can't pass up the potential Bush has.However, I'm not going to take the same guy in both leagues. In case I pick a bust I only want him floundering on one of my teams. :)

That said, I really haven't seen as much of Williams as I have of White and Bush. This may partiall explain why I presently prefer the two USC backs, although I'd argue that I'm not necessarily biased towards Pac-10 players (never really liked Carson Palmer or Mike Williams that much).
Its not just you. The media attention went to USC this year. They had the most watched game in NCAA history and Lendale White starred in it. Williams played in a less popular school with less attention. All the recent hype wont mean much when the NFL teams draft though. Williams has been considered a top NFL prospect for a couple years. He doesnt need the media to back him up anymore. White on the other hand is currently fueled by one big game. White needed that attention just to be in this discussion.I believe that the NFL will redeem Williams on draft day and that the media's attention will shift back to him. The hype of the draft has hardly begun.

White is a bruising runner who breaks tackles, has a great burst, and a knack for the endzone. His Rose Bowl performance showed him to be a man among boys against a very tough defense.
Did you actually watch the game? He made one big play where he bounced off of Michael Huff. Other than that, he was running through gaping holes opened by his OL. I honestly cannot recall him breaking a tackle from a UT LB or DL.Oh yeah, he also failed to pick up that last first down, which a "man among boys" would have done.

White on the other hand is currently fueled by one big game. White needed that attention just to be in this discussion.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Anyone who watched USC play during the season could've told you that White was the real deal. The presence of Bush limited his carries, but he still managed to rush for 1,300 yards and 24 TDs at an impressive 6.6 YPC clip. I don't see how you can look at those stats and claim that he's a one game wonder. That's just not the case. When White got carries at USC, White produced. If he had been at any other decent school in the nation then he very well could've threatened the 2,000 yard rushing mark. I've been championing White on these boards for months now. This isn't because I think he's the second coming of Jim Brown, but rather because I think he's being overlooked by most of FF and draft pundits. Every team has its preferences, but I think White could very easily go off the board before Williams on draft day.

White on the other hand is currently fueled by one big game. White needed that attention just to be in this discussion.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Anyone who watched USC play during the season could've told you that White was the real deal. The presence of Bush limited his carries, but he still managed to rush for 1,300 yards and 24 TDs at an impressive 6.6 YPC clip. I don't see how you can look at those stats and claim that he's a one game wonder. That's just not the case. When White got carries at USC, White produced. If he had been at any other decent school in the nation then he very well could've threatened the 2,000 yard rushing mark. I've been championing White on these boards for months now. This isn't because I think he's the second coming of Jim Brown, but rather because I think he's being overlooked by most of FF and draft pundits. Every team has its preferences, but I think White could very easily go off the board before Williams on draft day.
Yeah, but what will his Vertical Jump be? ;)

I have the 1.1 and 1.2 and would love to trade down to the 1.3 with the 1.1 and walk away with williams and white and something else.

Users who are viewing this thread