What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Buy Low, Sell High (1 Viewer)

Bloom

Now is the best time of the year to improve your dynasty teams. Owners are still absorbing the happenings of the 2005 season and incorporating them into the long term value of players. There is a fine line between putting too much weight in the 05 performance and not correctly putting the year in the larger context of the player's career, and being too slow to realize that the 05 version of the player is the "new" player, and not an aberration. Being 3-6 months ahead of the conventional wisdom is crucial here. Many owners are yet to reckon with the early offseason developments, such as changes in coaching staff and team philosophies. If you can project the draft/offseason movement with decent accuracy and predict how some of the situations that will play out, you can seriously improve the assets of your dynasty team in the next few months.

With that, I give you the first offseason edition of Buy Low, Sell High:

Buy Low

David Carr, QB, HOU - Gary Kubiak is a QB guru. The Texans gave Carr a sizable roster bonus and a big vote of confidence. The Texans are likely to add "ultimate weapon" Reggie Bush (who would also boost the passing game) or one of the best young OTs out there in a trade down scenario. If you're skeptical about Carr, just look at the transformation of Plummer's numbers from his last year in Arizona to his first year in Denver.

Arnaz Battle, WR, SF - Battle was the go-to receiver in the offense last year when healthy, and as a QB to WR convert, he still has upside in his development. Eric Johnson is made of porcelain and Brandon Lloyd is just not dependable. Expect Battle to be the #1 target in the passing offense this year.

Koren Robinson, WR, MIN/??? - Its hard to believe that troubled players have really turned it around, but Koren has. The talent is unquestioned and Koren should be a full-time starter next year on a team that wants him.

Philip Rivers, QB, SD - Unless Rivers is a total fraud, he should put up numbers close to Brees. Of course there is still a chance Brees comes back to SD with his tail between his legs if no one pays him, but I think at least a few teams will be happy to pony up some $$$ to sign Drew, and the Chargers players are already endorsing Rivers. This could be a chance to get a top 12-15 QB on the cheap.

Randy Moss, WR, OAK - Yes, Moss has been hurt for good chunks of the last 2 seasons. Yes, the QB situation in Oakland is up in the air right now. Still, Moss is young for a such an established player, and he is still the most lethal deep threat in the league. I am seeing him last way too long in initial dynasty drafts. I don't believe he's turned brittle, and Moss is the rare WR that makes any QB a fantasy success, opposite of the typical situation where a good QB makes a WR better for fantasy.

Kellen Winslow, TE, CLE - Winslow has put all the weight back on that he lost after suffering a staph infection. Cleveland is making a lot of noise about letting Antonio Bryant go, and that means Winslow enters the year as the #1 target in the passing offense with Braylon Edwards likely out for the beginning of the season. Even if Cleveland brings in a WR to replace Bryant, Winslow will still figure big into the passing offense.

Ahman Green, RB, GB - Green's value has bottomed out, and its time to buy again. All signs point to a return to GB at a discount, and I don't see how he isn't the starter if that happens.

Patrick Crayton, WR, DAL - Crayton's emergence as the best playmaking WR in Dallas's offense was cut short by a leg injury. I don't project the Cowboys to take a WR in the first, leaving Crayton as the only WR of the future on the team. Like Battle, he's a QB to WR convert who will only get better.

Corey Dillon, RB, NE - Dillon was never completely healthy last year, and NE's line was suffering along with him. I believe it will cost NE more to cut him than to keep him, so he's likely to be the feature back for at least one more year. This buy low recommendation is strictly for teams that think they are one RB away from a title in 06.

Ben Watson, TE, NE - Ben Watson's role in NE's offense will only increase, as 2005 was functionally his rookie year. His athletic ability is stunning and you know that the Patriots will find ways to utilize his talent to the fullest extent they can. I expect him to make a leap to the top 8 TEs this year, especially if Givens leaves and/or Brown retires.

Duce Staley, RB, PIT - Staley is one of my favorite fliers for next year - he would probably come extremely cheap unless he's paired with Parker for insurance. Staley's knee was not right from the beginning of the year, and he could be back in form with a full offseason to recover. Bettis's retirement opens up a huge door for him if the Steelers do not seek a RB in free agency or the draft. Staley did look extremely lackluster anytime he took the field last year, but the possible short term return is very high for a small cost.

Ben Troupe, TE, TEN - Like Watson, Troupe was only beginning to come into his own last year after injuries plagued him in his rookie year. Troupe showed the ability to be a #1 target last year, on a team devoid of true #1s at the WR position. Chow's TE focused offense only helps him. Expect a Cooley-like leap to the top tier of TEs.

Cedrick Wilson, WR, PIT - Wilson is almost indistinguishable from Antwaan Randle-el when he's out in a pattern, and he might be a better route runner than ARE. I just don't see how ARE gets re-signed by the Steelers because of how in demand he is. I expect Wilson to absorb a good part of ARE's numbers and be a serviceable WR3 for fantasy this year.

Rookie picks in the 30s - You've probably already heard me say this a lot, but I don't see that much of a dropoff from the quality of rookies around 20-25 to the quality of rookies around 40-45, especially if you are looking WR.

Sell High

Mike Anderson, RB, DEN - The Broncos are making no secret of their desire to upgrade at RB, whether it be through FA, the draft, or just giving Bell another shot to show he can be a feature back. Anderson was Denver's best RB last year, but it seems impossible that Shanny will stand pat with what he has at RB in the offseason. Anderson's usefulness to the Donkeys in any number of ways makes it even more likely he goes back to being a role player in 06. This is the time to cash Anderson in.

Edgerrin James, RB, IND - This is a tough call, but if you project James out of Indy, then you have to sell while he's still considered an elite RB. Any situation he goes to will be a downgrade from the plum spot he has in Indianapolis. If you can get the kind of package that a top 5 RB fetches in dynasty leagues, i would probably pull the trigger.

Jake Plummer, QB, DEN - And here we have the perfect negative of the Carr situation. Plummer loses the guy who broke everything down for him and turned him into a good NFL QB. One warning on selling Plummer is that Denver *could* acquire TO, which would be a big boost for his fantasy value. Its probably advisable to hold Jake until that situation plays out. However, if TO goes elsewhere, Id say its time to unload Plummer while his value is firmly in the 2nd tier of QBs.

Samkon Gado, RB, GB - I like feel good stories as much as the next guy, but GB will not enter the year with Gado as the unquestioned feature back. While I like what he did last year down the stretch, and think Sam has long term potential, I can't justify the amount his value has leapt in the last few months. He's a nice RB prospect, but not more. The clock will strike midnight for him when Green likely returns (at least for the time being). If you can get top 100 dynasty value for him, I would do it.

Willie Parker, RB, PIT - Anyone who has read Parker threads knows my view on him. He is the Steelers version of the 2005 Tatum Bell as soon as they find someone that can consistently get 4 yards a carry. Like Gado, Im rooting for the guy, but he just is not a feature back, especially not on the Steelers. He could squeeze out another year like 05 if the Steelers don't seriously address the RB situation this offseason, but the prices I have seen Parker fetching are insane (2nd round of initial dynasty drafts?!?!?), and its time to take advantage the very visible long TD run he had in the SB.

Antwaan Randle-el, WR, ???? - keeping with the theme, here's another player that you can cash in at a higher than actual value because of a conspicuous big play in the super bowl. ARE is a really a WR2.5 in the NFL, not a true #2, but better than your typical slot WR. Some team will make him a starter, but he won't put up fantasy starting #s.

Domanick Davis, RB, HOU - It might be too late to unload Davis, but I feel 90% certain Reggie Bush becomes a Texan. Shop him around while there's still the perception of some doubt. Soon this will become the foregone conclusion.

Greg Jones, RB, JAX - Like Denver, I don't see Jacksonville standing pat with their RB situation long term. A change is coming this year or next, whether through free agency or the draft (snake Maroney from their division rival Colts?). Check around your league for the team that thinks Jones has a shot to be "the guy" in Jacksonville. Even if Jones is carrying the ball for Jacksonville, it'll be in an RBBC. Sell while the few 100 yard games he had last year are still fresh in people's memories.

Frank Gore, RB, SF, J.J. Arrington, RB, ARI, Mewelde Moore, RB, MIN - Here's where you need to have the riverboat gambler mentality. I see San Fran (Williams), Arizona (White) and Minnesota (Maroney) as three of the likeliest destinations for the top tier rookie RBs after Bush. Now, there is a lot of risk in trading these guys simply on this hunch. Any of them could be very valuable if their teams go in a different direction, especially Gore, now that Norv Turner is in town. Trying to predict the draft is like playing with fire, and even when you're right, you can be wrong (see 2005 bears RB situation). Still, if you have the stomach to handle these kinds of gambles, I recommend seeing what these guys will fetch in your league.

Rookie picks in the 20s - You've probably already heard me say this a lot (even earlier in this article), but I don't see that much of a dropoff from the quality of rookies around 20-25 to the quality of rookies around 40-45, especially if you are looking WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sell High

Domanick Davis, RB, HOU - It might be too late to unload Davis, but I feel 90% certain Reggie Bush becomes a Texan. Shop him around while there's still the perception of some doubt. Soon this will become the foregone conclusion.
Way too late to sell DD high, IMO. I just don't see too many people that think the Texans will pass on Bush. There are several that think Houston should trade down, but most people seem to think they'll stay put and take Bush.Actually, I'd probably say DD's a buy-low guy in dynasty right now.

I would add T.O. to the buy low list. Regardless of where he goes, I believe he'll be on his best behavior for next season because he'll be out to prove himself again. Just like with Philly, he stayed in line and was huge for the first year on a new team. Just sell high next offseason, before he starts his antics again.

Sell High

Way too late to sell DD high, IMO. I just don't see too many people that think the Texans will pass on Bush. There are several that think Houston should trade down, but most people seem to think they'll stay put and take Bush.Actually, I'd probably say DD's a buy-low guy in dynasty right now.
yeah i did say it might be too late. Im not sure if he's a buy low because its unclear whether Houston will trade him immediately or hold on to him. If Houston keeps him for this year and he's getting 10-15 touches spelling Bush, and running when Bush is split out wide, then that will be the ideal time to buy low.

I would add T.O. to the buy low list. Regardless of where he goes, I believe he'll be on his best behavior for next season because he'll be out to prove himself again. Just like with Philly, he stayed in line and was huge for the first year on a new team. Just sell high next offseason, before he starts his antics again.
I see him a slight buy low right now, although i think he has regained most of the value he lost in the midseason debacle. The real time to buy low with him was right after he got suspended. I think most have him in the top 10 dynasty WR now, and those who don't have already traded him. I do like him as a trade target for teams looking to contend this year, even at market value.

Additional suggestions...

Buy Low

(1) RB Cedric Benson: I'd trade for this guy while there remains the possibility that Thomas Jones will significantly cut into his carries.

(2) WR Braylon Edwards: I traded for Kellen Winslow last off-season and I'll be doing the same for B.Edwards this off-season.

(3) WR Brandon Lloyd: To each his own, but I'll take my chances with Lloyd>Battle. Both are candidates for buy low but I see Lloyd as having a higher ceiling.

(4) WR Michael Clayton: If you look up sophomore slump in the dictionary, there's a 8"x10" picture of this guy. His rookie numbers could not have been that big an anomaly and his owner may be convinced it was. Also, Galloway is a year older.

(5) QB Jason Campbell: This guy gets zero buzz. I have him stashed away on my dynasty team and you might consider doing the same. In his end of the year assessment, Gibbs mentioned he and the OC had joked to Campbell that it "was time to earn his money" and that can only mean one thing.

(6) WR Nate Burleson: Obviously the QB situation in Minnesota is a mess, but I believe Mrob is history, and Burleson will be fully recovered from his injuries. I really liked what I saw of Burleson in 2004.

Sell High

(1) RB Rudi Johnson: Love Rudi, but I traded him away a year ago because I was concerned about Perry. Rudi finished up very strong in 2005 but I remain worried that this guy could go from hero to zero faster than any other RB, with a former 1st rounder waiting in the wings. If you want to stand by Rudi, that's fine, but you must overpay for Perry.

(2) TE Tony Gonzales: I saw a post in the AC forum asking if it would be bad to trade Gonzo for a 1.8 rookie (to take rookie Vernon Davis) plus more value I'm not remembering. My dynasty philosophy has always been "better to trade away too early than wait too long" and that struck me as being something Gonzo owners might consider.

(3) RB Thomas Jones: Maybe too late, but see Ced Benson.

(4) RB Willie Parker: The moment the Steelers walk their #1 pick to the podium it could be too late.

(5) QBs David Carr/Joey Harrington: No, they are not highly valued but recent events (the promise of new OCs) will probably make them as valued as they will ever be and I would personally move these two for something undervalued.

Wait, then Sell High

(1) RB Michael Bennett: He should land somewhere as a free agent and then there will be a buzz. Sell him before people realize he's neither elusive nor durable enough to be a lead ball carrier in the NFL.

(2) RB Ricky Williams: If he is found not to have violated the policy, trade buzz will pick up. If he stays in Miami, he will never again have the value of a RB1. If he gets traded out of Miami, I'm just assuming Miami will settle up on old debts with Ricky. As at peace as he seems in Miami, he could become aloof and unhappy anywhere else and re-evaluate his commitment to football... particularly if his debt to Miami is no longer motivation.

(3) RB Deshaun Foster: Will likely land somewhere that he'll get a starting possibility, but I would trade him away if he does. He just isn't durable enough to keep a starting gig.

(4) RB Jamal Lewis: He's only 26, I just didn't like what I saw from him this year using years past as a comparison. If he lands somewhere good, he could generate top 5 billing once again and I'd have to cash in that value if he does.

Sell High

Edgerrin James, RB, IND - This is a tough call, but if you project James out of Indy, then you have to sell while he's still considered an elite RB. Any situation he goes to will be a downgrade from the plum spot he has in Indianapolis. If you can get the kind of package that a top 5 RB fetches in dynasty leagues, i would probably pull the trigger.
Good read, B.I am with you on James. He's been on my Dynasty team for years, and given his high salary cap figure in my league, I think this is the perfect year to trade him. There are a couple of people in my league that would love Edge on their team.

Here's my mini list:

Buy Low

Andre Johnson

- This guy's stock is pretty low right now considering he was touted only a year ago as a potential top five fantasy WR. I'm not suggesting that people give up a lot for him, but given his inate talent, I think he rebounds with a pretty good year.

Steven Jackson

- He won't come cheap. But I think this will be a big year for Davis. Now that Mike "Chuck The Rock" Martz is gone, I believe the Rams' coaching staff will utilize Jackson a lot more often.

Frank Gore

- Yes, he's had some major knee injuries. But coming out of high school, Gore was considered to be one of the best propects in years. SF still has a lot of problems on offense, but it doesn't take a lot to beat out Kevan Barlow.

Sell High

Dominic Rhodes

- I know, I know. His stock isn't very high. That could change over the next four months. I don't think Indy wants Rhodes as a #1. There's no guarantee Indy will even keep Rhodes on the roster given his cap figure. But if James moves on to another team, Rhodes might look attractive as trade bait in a Dynasty format. I think Edge leaves and Indy gets a RB in the first or second round. If Indy retains Rhodes, he may be listed as RB #1 in a magazine or two.

[

yeah i did say it might be too late. Im not sure if he's a buy low because its unclear whether Houston will trade him immediately or hold on to him. If Houston keeps him for this year and he's getting 10-15 touches spelling Bush, and running when Bush is split out wide, then that will be the ideal time to buy low.
Considering it probably is too late to sell high, I would think buying low on DD in hopes he gets traded is the way to go? If he lands someplace like arizona you'll be out of luck. Hell, if rumors start the he'll be traded to a good situation, he will skyrocket again. Not necessarily saying he's worth it, but should Houston get offered a 2nd round pick, they would probably jump all over it, grab Bush, and hope a Jonathan Scott-type lineman will fall. With his hands, I could see DD looking good in IND....

[

Considering it probably is too late to sell high, I would think buying low on DD in hopes he gets traded is the way to go? If he lands someplace like arizona you'll be out of luck. Hell, if rumors start the he'll be traded to a good situation, he will skyrocket again. Not necessarily saying he's worth it, but should Houston get offered a 2nd round pick, they would probably jump all over it, grab Bush, and hope a Jonathan Scott-type lineman will fall. With his hands, I could see DD looking good in IND....
That's sort of my thinking. I don't see DD staying Houston more than one more year. In dynasty, he has some good future value.

Samie Parker is a good buy low candidate. His last 6 games of 2005 project out to 69 receptions, 965 yds, and 5 TDs. Plus, he will be a "third year WR." - not that any of that really means anything, but I like chances of getting a bigger piece of the KC passing game next year.

EDIT: I was using MFL league stats as a reference for the "last" six games. No week 17 in my league, hence Parker's week 17 one catch for sixteen yards was omitted from the projection.

Too many guys on the buy low list from my squad last year :bag:

Gonzo, Clayton, DD, Cedric

No wonder I went from 11-2-1 to 6-8 in the last two years.....

A guy like Roy Williams might be a buy low candidate as well. Before we start seeing HArrington (or whichever QB Martz works his magic on) throwing bombs to that guy in minicamps....

Williams might not be as low as he stock was before the MArtz hiring, but I think it still goes up....

Buy lows should include 2nd year players who didn't set the world on fire as rookies.

Mike Williams is first on my list.

Mark Clayton / Kyle Boller

Reggie Brown - although I'm not sure he's really a buy low, still a player I see as a good value.

SELL HIGH:

Larry Johnson - I know, he's all the rage, but I don't see him producing at the same level for the remainder of his career. A top 3 pick, should net a good amount in trade.

Sell High

:goodposting: I'd put DD as a buy low candidate right now

A guy like Roy Williams might be a buy low candidate as well. Before we start seeing HArrington (or whichever QB Martz works his magic on) throwing bombs to that guy in minicamps....

Williams might not be as low as he stock was before the MArtz hiring, but I think it still goes up....
I've already been seeing alot of interest in Roy W in my league - I'm hanging on to him. So I don't see him as a buy low at this point - his preceived value has gone way up. Just my 2cents

Additional suggestions...

Buy Low

(1) RB Cedric Benson: I'd trade for this guy while there remains the possibility that Thomas Jones will significantly cut into his carries.

(2) WR Braylon Edwards: I traded for Kellen Winslow last off-season and I'll be doing the same for B.Edwards this off-season.

(3) WR Brandon Lloyd: To each his own, but I'll take my chances with Lloyd>Battle. Both are candidates for buy low but I see Lloyd as having a higher ceiling.

(4) WR Michael Clayton: If you look up sophomore slump in the dictionary, there's a 8"x10" picture of this guy. His rookie numbers could not have been that big an anomaly and his owner may be convinced it was. Also, Galloway is a year older.

(5) QB Jason Campbell: This guy gets zero buzz. I have him stashed away on my dynasty team and you might consider doing the same. In his end of the year assessment, Gibbs mentioned he and the OC had joked to Campbell that it "was time to earn his money" and that can only mean one thing.

(6) WR Nate Burleson: Obviously the QB situation in Minnesota is a mess, but I believe Mrob is history, and Burleson will be fully recovered from his injuries. I really liked what I saw of Burleson in 2004.

Sell High

(1) RB Rudi Johnson: Love Rudi, but I traded him away a year ago because I was concerned about Perry. Rudi finished up very strong in 2005 but I remain worried that this guy could go from hero to zero faster than any other RB, with a former 1st rounder waiting in the wings. If you want to stand by Rudi, that's fine, but you must overpay for Perry.

(2) TE Tony Gonzales: I saw a post in the AC forum asking if it would be bad to trade Gonzo for a 1.8 rookie (to take rookie Vernon Davis) plus more value I'm not remembering. My dynasty philosophy has always been "better to trade away too early than wait too long" and that struck me as being something Gonzo owners might consider.

(3) RB Thomas Jones: Maybe too late, but see Ced Benson.

(4) RB Willie Parker: The moment the Steelers walk their #1 pick to the podium it could be too late.

(5) QBs David Carr/Joey Harrington: No, they are not highly valued but recent events (the promise of new OCs) will probably make them as valued as they will ever be and I would personally move these two for something undervalued.

Wait, then Sell High

(1) RB Michael Bennett: He should land somewhere as a free agent and then there will be a buzz. Sell him before people realize he's neither elusive nor durable enough to be a lead ball carrier in the NFL.

(2) RB Ricky Williams: If he is found not to have violated the policy, trade buzz will pick up. If he stays in Miami, he will never again have the value of a RB1. If he gets traded out of Miami, I'm just assuming Miami will settle up on old debts with Ricky. As at peace as he seems in Miami, he could become aloof and unhappy anywhere else and re-evaluate his commitment to football... particularly if his debt to Miami is no longer motivation.

(3) RB Deshaun Foster: Will likely land somewhere that he'll get a starting possibility, but I would trade him away if he does. He just isn't durable enough to keep a starting gig.

(4) RB Jamal Lewis: He's only 26, I just didn't like what I saw from him this year using years past as a comparison. If he lands somewhere good, he could generate top 5 billing once again and I'd have to cash in that value if he does.
nice list. benson - still right around #20 among fantasy Rbs, he'll come slightly cheaper b/c of jones, but i have to think that most of his owners are in for the long haul.

edwards - another good buy low, along with the other two rookie WR sensations that suffered ACL tears - mark bradley and brandon jones

lloyd - true enough on the ceiling with his circus catch abilities.

clayton - a nice buy low, but his rookie year will probably be his career year.

campbell - another good choice, but not for the risk averse.

burleson - im afraid that he'll find himself as the #3 soon enough if minny keeps K-rob. his star is falling.

rudi - im sold on him. i think perry leaves CIN before he does. if aint broke...

gonzo - i actually see a slight bounce back this year as long as the oline stays healthy.

jones - should start elsewhere once he leaves CHI, so i would HOLD

parker, we agree on. carr, we disagree

harrington - ill never believe in this guy, i could see him as a sell high, but you have to find an owner that believes in martz.

lewis and foster are two of the toughest calls right now. Bennett is next to worthless in my book, i would never trade for him. ricky, now thats an interesting buy low...

Sell High

Good read, B.I am with you on James. He's been on my Dynasty team for years, and given his high salary cap figure in my league, I think this is the perfect year to trade him. There are a couple of people in my league that would love Edge on their team.

Here's my mini list:

Buy Low

Andre Johnson

- This guy's stock is pretty low right now considering he was touted only a year ago as a potential top five fantasy WR. I'm not suggesting that people give up a lot for him, but given his inate talent, I think he rebounds with a pretty good year.

Steven Jackson

- He won't come cheap. But I think this will be a big year for Davis. Now that Mike "Chuck The Rock" Martz is gone, I believe the Rams' coaching staff will utilize Jackson a lot more often.

Frank Gore

- Yes, he's had some major knee injuries. But coming out of high school, Gore was considered to be one of the best propects in years. SF still has a lot of problems on offense, but it doesn't take a lot to beat out Kevan Barlow.

Sell High

Dominic Rhodes

- I know, I know. His stock isn't very high. That could change over the next four months. I don't think Indy wants Rhodes as a #1. There's no guarantee Indy will even keep Rhodes on the roster given his cap figure. But if James moves on to another team, Rhodes might look attractive as trade bait in a Dynasty format. I think Edge leaves and Indy gets a RB in the first or second round. If Indy retains Rhodes, he may be listed as RB #1 in a magazine or two.
with you on martz departure effect on jackson, he should settle nicely into the top 10 RB, but i think thats about where he is in most people's minds.johnson is a solid buy low, but he did come on at the end of year, like benson i think his owners are probably in for the long haul at this point.

with you on rhodes, his star has really fallen. i expect him to get cut.

gore, will address in a sec.

Samie Parker is a good buy low candidate. His last 6 games of 2005 project out to 69 receptions, 965 yds, and 5 TDs. Plus, he will be a "third year WR." - not that any of that really means anything, but I like chances of getting a bigger piece of the KC passing game next year.

EDIT: I was using MFL league stats as a reference for the "last" six games. No week 17 in my league, hence Parker's week 17 one catch for sixteen yards was omitted from the projection.
totally agree on parker, once he was healthy again, he was pretty explosive, and he seems like a good fit for the deep threat role in that offense.

Buy lows should include 2nd year players who didn't set the world on fire as rookies.

Mike Williams is first on my list.

Mark Clayton / Kyle Boller

Reggie Brown - although I'm not sure he's really a buy low, still a player I see as a good value.

SELL HIGH:

Larry Johnson - I know, he's all the rage, but I don't see him producing at the same level for the remainder of his career. A top 3 pick, should net a good amount in trade.
Clayton has a ton of buzz right now, i think the buy low train left the station.i just dont believe in mike williams, but if you believe in him, this is time to move.

Brown is getting more buzz now too, tough get him on the cheap.

LJ is a great player to put for debate. its very possible that the production will go south as the line is getting old all at once. Still, you have to think he is top 3 for at least this year, and you might be trading out of a title if you deal him now.

Sell High

:goodposting: I'd put DD as a buy low candidate right now
DD's future is just so cloudy right now, and yet I still see him going early in initial dynasty drafts. this tells me that his value has not dropped to completely reflect the effect of bush coming to town. I would be interested to see what kinds of deals with DD are being made, then i would have a better idea whether this is a buy low or a sell high moment for him.

with you on rhodes, his star has really fallen. i expect him to get cut.
I rostered Rhodes in 2005 just to fill in for Edge, but I think there's very little chance (maybe 10%) he starts for Indy in week one.

LJ is a great player to put for debate. its very possible that the production will go south as the line is getting old all at once. Still, you have to think he is top 3 for at least this year, and you might be trading out of a title if you deal him now.
No way would I trade Johnson right now. I am not saying he'll win the rushing title, but a healthy tailback running behind that line is too valuable.

Gore is a BUY, not a SELL.
This is one of the toughest calls on the list, and i did qualify it by saying it was a gamble. I actually really like Gore as an RB, and I think you would have to cut off his legs to get him off the field. However, I think Gore has a few things working against him:1) Durability, and its not just the knees. Gore did not have near a feature back load this year, yet he still needed surgery on both shoulders. What happens when he has a feature back load in norv's offense? how can he possibly last?

2) Nolan got to see Deangelo up close and personal all week at the Senior Bowl, in a similar situation to the Caddy/Gruden love affair last year. If SF wins the flip, they probably take Hawk/Mario Williams, but if Oakland wins and takes the one of those two that GB leaves on the board, the SF will have to at least consider Williams. If SF drafts Williams, poof goes Gore's value.

3) The recent history of teams with Norv as OC/HC - He goes to san diego, they draft LT. He goes to Miami, they get Ricky. He goes to Oakland, in year 2, they get Jordan. Seems like Norv likes to find the back that fits his system and then gets the team to go out and get him. Norv also got to coach DeAngelo all week. There are also some interesting RBs out there in free agency. I just don't know that the niners would feel good about Barlow and Gore in a Turner offense.

No way would I trade Johnson right now. I am not saying he'll win the rushing title, but a healthy tailback running behind that line is too valuable.
Yeah and after trading Samkon Gado for Priest and picking up Dee Brown at the end of the season, I'd sooner eat nails than trade out of the running game that has produced an average of over 500 points the last 3 years.

I think Tatum Bell should be on the buy low list.His value has never been lower IMO.There is definitely some risk with him,but the Denver RB is a Goldmine.So if he can be had cheap it's well worth the risk......

I think Tatum Bell should be on the buy low list.His value has never been lower IMO.There is definitely some risk with him,but the Denver RB is a Goldmine.So if he can be had cheap it's well worth the risk......
I can see where you're coming from, but I dont share that view. I do think Shanny will give Bell a shot, and that the Broncs *want* Bell to win the job, but he's just not durable or well-rounded enough to do it.

I can see where you're coming from, but I dont share that view. I do think Shanny will give Bell a shot, and that the Broncs *want* Bell to win the job, but he's just not durable or well-rounded enough to do it.
Sure seems like he is heading that way Bloom.I know this time last year he was basically unobtainable in most dynasty leagues.I just picked him up last week plus a 06 2.06 rookie pick for Reggie Wayne...

I agree. Bell upside in the Denver system is great. You should be able to get him cheap since he did not take over Anderson as the #1 RB in 2005. I traded barlow for him about mid season in 05.

Gore is a BUY, not a SELL.
This is one of the toughest calls on the list, and i did qualify it by saying it was a gamble. I actually really like Gore as an RB, and I think you would have to cut off his legs to get him off the field. However, I think Gore has a few things working against him:1) Durability, and its not just the knees. Gore did not have near a feature back load this year, yet he still needed surgery on both shoulders. What happens when he has a feature back load in norv's offense? how can he possibly last?

2) Nolan got to see Deangelo up close and personal all week at the Senior Bowl, in a similar situation to the Caddy/Gruden love affair last year. If SF wins the flip, they probably take Hawk/Mario Williams, but if Oakland wins and takes the one of those two that GB leaves on the board, the SF will have to at least consider Williams. If SF drafts Williams, poof goes Gore's value.

3) The recent history of teams with Norv as OC/HC - He goes to san diego, they draft LT. He goes to Miami, they get Ricky. He goes to Oakland, in year 2, they get Jordan. Seems like Norv likes to find the back that fits his system and then gets the team to go out and get him. Norv also got to coach DeAngelo all week. There are also some interesting RBs out there in free agency. I just don't know that the niners would feel good about Barlow and Gore in a Turner offense.
I don't disagree with the above. I'll qualify it by saying the only concern I have re: Gore is the draft. If they do not draft a back in the first two rounds (and I believe they will not), I think Gore has super-stud potential. I really believe he is that good. As far as durability, he is one of the few backs for whom injuries don't concern me at all. If anything, more than most guys I can think of, he has shown the willingness and ability to play through pain and play well. He's got grit.I love Gore as a buy low right now. The key is hoping that the Gore owner in your dynasty league is concerned about all of those items above. If so, you can get him at value and take a shot at him. I went out and acquired him in all my leagues mid-season and this offseason. I expect big things but, I agree, there is some big risk.

Sure seems like he is heading that way Bloom.I know this time last year he was basically unobtainable in most dynasty leagues.I just picked him up last week plus a 06 2.06 rookie pick for Reggie Wayne...
Even if Bell wins the job, Shanahan has proven that he doesn't like to stick with the same RB for long. Here today, gone tomorrow (See Portis and Draughns). So for you dynasty owners out there, beware of any Denver RB. Shanahan's ego makes it a necessity for him to prove to everyone that any RB can get a 1000 yds in "his" system.

One guy I am targetting as a buy low player is Brad Johnson. With all of the Culpepper to be traded rumors, Johnsons could be a very viable fantasy starter in 2006.

The WR weapons, new coaching staff, and lack of strong running game may vault Johnson into a decent fantasy starter this coming year.

Two backs I am intrigued by right now are William Green and the Whiz.

Both are extreme buy low/high risk candidates. One could go and be a decent rb3 if he changes teams or in the whiz' case makes the team

One guy I am targetting as a buy low player is Brad Johnson. With all of the Culpepper to be traded rumors, Johnsons could be a very viable fantasy starter in 2006.

The WR weapons, new coaching staff, and lack of strong running game may vault Johnson into a decent fantasy starter this coming year.
Concur. Brad Johnson might be this year's Drew Bledsoe; or, maybe Drew Bledsoe will be this year's Drew Bledsoe.Oddly, Brad Jonson makes an excellent handcuff for Carson Palmer owners.

Two backs I am intrigued by right now are William Green and the Whiz.

Both are extreme buy low/high risk candidates. One could go and be a decent rb3 if he changes teams or in the whiz' case makes the team
Take Green off your list. Savage said in an interview that as long as Green is doing what he is currently doing, he will keep a roster spot on the Browns. Green is a cheep, quality 3rd string RB (Cheap due to incentive escalators in his contract that were never met) that has spent some time with special teams.

I like most of your buy-low picks, although I have to strongly disagree about Corey Dillon. I'd be looking to ship him off. I also can't advocate acquiring Cedrick Wilson. Maybe he'll outperform his present value, but I don't think he's a threat to ever become a viable starter in normal-sized FF leagues.

I also like most of your sell-high picks. I took a quick look at those initial Zealots drafts and I couldn't believe how high Willie Parker was going. People will always overpay for any RB with a pulse, but I'm not nearly as optimistic as most people are about Parker. He's a good player, but I don't think he'll ever be more than a "niche" back. Of course, I said the same thing about Brian Westbrook a few years ago, so you never know.

Now is the best time of the year to improve your dynasty teams. Owners are still absorbing the happenings of the 2005 season and incorporating them into the long term value of players. There is a fine line between putting too much weight in the 05 performance and not correctly putting the year in the larger context of the player's career, and being too slow to realize that the 05 version of the player is the "new" player, and not an aberration. Being 3-6 months ahead of the conventional wisdom is crucial here. Many owners are yet to reckon with the early offseason developments, such as changes in coaching staff and team philosophies. If you can project the draft/offseason movement with decent accuracy and predict how some of the situations that will play out, you can seriously improve the assets of your dynasty team in the next few months.

With that, I give you the first offseason edition of Buy Low, Sell High:

Buy Low

David Carr, QB, HOU - Gary Kubiak is a QB guru. The Texans gave Carr a sizable roster bonus and a big vote of confidence. The Texans are likely to add "ultimate weapon" Reggie Bush (who would also boost the passing game) or one of the best young OTs out there in a trade down scenario. If you're skeptical about Carr, just look at the transformation of Plummer's numbers from his last year in Arizona to his first year in Denver.

Okay, I can see this but Kubiak better spend some serious bucks on the o-line or all the coaching in the world won't matter. I think Carr hears defense footsteps at home.

Arnaz Battle, WR, SF - Battle was the go-to receiver in the offense last year when healthy, and as a QB to WR convert, he still has upside in his development. Eric Johnson is made of porcelain and Brandon Lloyd is just not dependable. Expect Battle to be the #1 target in the passing offense this year.

Lloyd will be number 1. Count on it, provided somebody can throw the rock.

Koren Robinson, WR, MIN/??? - Its hard to believe that troubled players have really turned it around, but Koren has. The talent is unquestioned and Koren should be a full-time starter next year on a team that wants him.

Philip Rivers, QB, SD - Unless Rivers is a total fraud, he should put up numbers close to Brees. Of course there is still a chance Brees comes back to SD with his tail between his legs if no one pays him, but I think at least a few teams will be happy to pony up some $$$ to sign Drew, and the Chargers players are already endorsing Rivers. This could be a chance to get a top 12-15 QB on the cheap.

You are pipe dreamin', sir. Rivers is untested and to say he'll match Brees the first year out, well, quit bogarted the pipe!

Randy Moss, WR, OAK - Yes, Moss has been hurt for good chunks of the last 2 seasons. Yes, the QB situation in Oakland is up in the air right now. Still, Moss is young for a such an established player, and he is still the most lethal deep threat in the league. I am seeing him last way too long in initial dynasty drafts. I don't believe he's turned brittle, and Moss is the rare WR that makes any QB a fantasy success, opposite of the typical situation where a good QB makes a WR better for fantasy.

Kellen Winslow, TE, CLE - Winslow has put all the weight back on that he lost after suffering a staph infection. Cleveland is making a lot of noise about letting Antonio Bryant go, and that means Winslow enters the year as the #1 target in the passing offense with Braylon Edwards likely out for the beginning of the season. Even if Cleveland brings in a WR to replace Bryant, Winslow will still figure big into the passing offense.

C'mon Bloom, this is the Browns. He'll probably get hurt in training camp.

Ahman Green, RB, GB - Green's value has bottomed out, and its time to buy again. All signs point to a return to GB at a discount, and I don't see how he isn't the starter if that happens.

Green is done. Too much wear & tear. See Gado.

Patrick Crayton, WR, DAL - Crayton's emergence as the best playmaking WR in Dallas's offense was cut short by a leg injury. I don't project the Cowboys to take a WR in the first, leaving Crayton as the only WR of the future on the team. Like Battle, he's a QB to WR convert who will only get better.

I like this kid and with all the Dallas greybeards, his chance will come very soon.

Corey Dillon, RB, NE - Dillon was never completely healthy last year, and NE's line was suffering along with him. I believe it will cost NE more to cut him than to keep him, so he's likely to be the feature back for at least one more year. This buy low recommendation is strictly for teams that think they are one RB away from a title in 06.

Toast. NE will sign a FA.

Ben Watson, TE, NE - Ben Watson's role in NE's offense will only increase, as 2005 was functionally his rookie year. His athletic ability is stunning and you know that the Patriots will find ways to utilize his talent to the fullest extent they can. I expect him to make a leap to the top 8 TEs this year, especially if Givens leaves and/or Brown retires.

Duce Staley, RB, PIT - Staley is one of my favorite fliers for next year - he would probably come extremely cheap unless he's paired with Parker for insurance. Staley's knee was not right from the beginning of the year, and he could be back in form with a full offseason to recover. Bettis's retirement opens up a huge door for him if the Steelers do not seek a RB in free agency or the draft. Staley did look extremely lackluster anytime he took the field last year, but the possible short term return is very high for a small cost.

TOAST. He'll be lookin' for a new team real soon.

Ben Troupe, TE, TEN - Like Watson, Troupe was only beginning to come into his own last year after injuries plagued him in his rookie year. Troupe showed the ability to be a #1 target last year, on a team devoid of true #1s at the WR position. Chow's TE focused offense only helps him. Expect a Cooley-like leap to the top tier of TEs.

Cedrick Wilson, WR, PIT - Wilson is almost indistinguishable from Antwaan Randle-el when he's out in a pattern, and he might be a better route runner than ARE. I just don't see how ARE gets re-signed by the Steelers because of how in demand he is. I expect Wilson to absorb a good part of ARE's numbers and be a serviceable WR3 for fantasy this year.

Wilson is the real deal.

Rookie picks in the 30s - You've probably already heard me say this a lot, but I don't see that much of a dropoff from the quality of rookies around 20-25 to the quality of rookies around 40-45, especially if you are looking WR.

Sell High

Mike Anderson, RB, DEN - The Broncos are making no secret of their desire to upgrade at RB, whether it be through FA, the draft, or just giving Bell another shot to show he can be a feature back. Anderson was Denver's best RB last year, but it seems impossible that Shanny will stand pat with what he has at RB in the offseason. Anderson's usefulness to the Donkeys in any number of ways makes it even more likely he goes back to being a role player in 06. This is the time to cash Anderson in.

good call, especially if lands in AZ.

Jake Plummer, QB, DEN - And here we have the perfect negative of the Carr situation. Plummer loses the guy who broke everything down for him and turned him into a good NFL QB. One warning on selling Plummer is that Denver *could* acquire TO, which would be a big boost for his fantasy value. Its probably advisable to hold Jake until that situation plays out. However, if TO goes elsewhere, Id say its time to unload Plummer while his value is firmly in the 2nd tier of QBs.

Jake, welcome to the Rich Gannon Club.

Samkon Gado, RB, GB - I like feel good stories as much as the next guy, but GB will not enter the year with Gado as the unquestioned feature back. While I like what he did last year down the stretch, and think Sam has long term potential, I can't justify the amount his value has leapt in the last few months. He's a nice RB prospect, but not more. The clock will strike midnight for him when Green likely returns (at least for the time being). If you can get top 100 dynasty value for him, I would do it.

Green will not return & Gado is real. He plays hard, learns fast and best of all, he's cheap in 2006!

Willie Parker, RB, PIT - Anyone who has read Parker threads knows my view on him. He is the Steelers version of the 2005 Tatum Bell as soon as they find someone that can consistently get 4 yards a carry. Like Gado, Im rooting for the guy, but he just is not a feature back, especially not on the Steelers. He could squeeze out another year like 05 if the Steelers don't seriously address the RB situation this offseason, but the prices I have seen Parker fetching are insane (2nd round of initial dynasty drafts?!?!?), and its time to take advantage the very visible long TD run he had in the SB.

Agreed, but a solid camp as a 2nd year starter and a SB champion might do wonders.

Antwaan Randle-el, WR, ???? - keeping with the theme, here's another player that you can cash in at a higher than actual value because of a conspicuous big play in the super bowl. ARE is a really a WR2.5 in the NFL, not a true #2, but better than your typical slot WR. Some team will make him a starter, but he won't put up fantasy starting #s.

Hello, Chicago!

OR it could be the right time to buy DD cheap right after draft... Bush is good, but he is still a rookie.

Greg Jones, RB, JAX - Like Denver, I don't see Jacksonville standing pat with their RB situation long term. A change is coming this year or next, whether through free agency or the draft (snake Maroney from their division rival Colts?). Check around your league for the team that thinks Jones has a shot to be "the guy" in Jacksonville. Even if Jones is carrying the ball for Jacksonville, it'll be in an RBBC. Sell while the few 100 yard games he had last year are still fresh in people's memories.

Del Rio seems to leaning towards Fred is dead. Jones will get the goal line work minimum, but I can see him starting in the fall.

Frank Gore, RB, SF, J.J. Arrington, RB, ARI, Mewelde Moore, RB, MIN - Here's where you need to have the riverboat gambler mentality. I see San Fran (Williams), Arizona (White) and Minnesota (Maroney) as three of the likeliest destinations for the top tier rookie RBs after Bush. Now, there is a lot of risk in trading these guys simply on this hunch. Any of them could be very valuable if their teams go in a different direction, especially Gore, now that Norv Turner is in town. Trying to predict the draft is like playing with fire, and even when you're right, you can be wrong (see 2005 bears RB situation). Still, if you have the stomach to handle these kinds of gambles, I recommend seeing what these guys will fetch in your league.

Rookie picks in the 20s - You've probably already heard me say this a lot (even earlier in this article), but I don't see that much of a dropoff from the quality of rookies around 20-25 to the quality of rookies around 40-45, especially if you are looking WR.
Good job, Bloom. As always, you spark a good discussion.

You are pipe dreamin', sir. Rivers is untested and to say he'll match Brees the first year out, well, quit bogarted the pipe!
Is it that hard to see Rivers doing at least as well as Brees did this year? SD provides an excellent framework for Rivers to succeed. Gates is amazing and LT will take much of the pressure off Rivers. Rivers has been there for two years learning the system as well and has a stronger arm. I think Bloom is on the money here. Look at what Culpepper did in his first year after replacing Randall Cunningham and Jeff George after just one year on the bench.

Agree on Dayne. I just can't figure out what to do with Bell. Is he a "wait-and-see?"
imo, no more than Dayne actually, I would still try to have both, and see what happens at Free Agency and the draft.... the next few years are gonna be tricky for the hobbyist, as cap gurus are gonna manipulate player contracts like never before, long term safe bets, may upset their teams respective carts, and get sent out onto the market, thus undermining other players. Like a what if of "culpepper gets cuts, and goes to SD in an uncapped year" no way for the hobbyist to sketch this insanity out.

Agree on Dayne.  I just can't figure out what to do with Bell.  Is he a "wait-and-see?"
imo, no more than Dayne actually, I would still try to have both, and see what happens at Free Agency and the draft.... the next few years are gonna be tricky for the hobbyist, as cap gurus are gonna manipulate player contracts like never before, long term safe bets, may upset their teams respective carts, and get sent out onto the market, thus undermining other players. Like a what if of "culpepper gets cuts, and goes to SD in an uncapped year" no way for the hobbyist to sketch this insanity out.
:thumbup: It's certainly a weird time right now.

Users who are viewing this thread