What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamal Lewis.... (1 Viewer)

jgb95

Footballguy
Ravens | Team not likely to franchise J. Lewis

Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:21:52 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Baltimore Ravens are not likely to slap the franchise tag on RB Jamal Lewis. Ravens general manager and executive Ozzie Newsome believes any player who doesn't want a franchise tag shouldn't get one, and Lewis has made it clear he would prefer not to be tagged. The supply and demand of running backs will be on the supply side which works to the Ravens' advantage. Also, the Ravens own the 13th overall pick in a draft that is expected to have four running backs go in the first round, and Baltimore is expecting RB Musa Smith to be fully healed from a broken leg he suffered two seasons ago.

Just an off the cuff thought.

Last year teams couldn't give RB's away.

Where do you guys see Jamal in 2006.

I don't see a big market for Jamal. Maybe the Cowboys would take a flyer, maybe Tennessee or even Cleveland.

Jamal is a straight ahead, bruiser type runner who could be viewed a year or two from the decline of his career.

anakin I like both.

I have him as my third or forth RB behind:

Duece McAllister

Rudi Johnson

Willis McGahee

and maybe even behind Laurence Maroney who I have.

This mean that Chester Taylor gets the job?
Other threads and reports have indicated hat he will also be given free agent status. If thats the case, that leaves only Musa Smith available to them. If so, i say they go after the many FA RBs available this year who will end up being fairly cheap because of the supply/demand.

this was on draftsharks today re: FA RB's >

3. Jamal Lewis signs with Jacksonville: Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome said he won't franchise Lewis and I believe he's telling the truth. Their relationship is over. The rumor that Newsome might trade Lewis to Minnesota for Daunte Culpepper has gained steam but it's just so far-fetched. Here come the Jaguars, in terrific cap shape, looking for a quality RB to bang out 1,400 yards for less money than Alexander or James. Fred Taylor is 30 (already?) and management is surely sick of his injuries by now. Keep in mind, Jacksonville is a hyper-conservative city and Alltel Stadium has a soccer-mom feel to it, so an ex-con like Lewis wouldn't be totally embraced at first. However, his drug offense actually occurred 6 years ago and he's a grown man now. It's a perfect football fit for the Jaguars, whose average yards per carry has dropped every year since 2002 from 4.6 to 4.3 to 4.1 to 3.9.

He would thrive best on a team with a great defense and a conservative offense that will feed him the ball.

Carolina or Pittsburgh seem to make the most sense. (which means that he probably won't go to either)

He won't go to Pittsburgh. The Steelers want a guy to fill the Bettis role and Jamal still thinks of himself as a starter. He will also want much more than the Steelers are willing to pay.

My money says the Steelers will sign Verron Haynes, sign Parker to an extension, and redo Staley's contract.

I can see him playing for the "Mean Machine" next year. I can also see Ray Lewis playing for the same team.

Seriously, Carolina.

He won't go to Pittsburgh. The Steelers want a guy to fill the Bettis role and Jamal still thinks of himself as a starter. He will also want much more than the Steelers are willing to pay.

My money says the Steelers will sign Verron Haynes, sign Parker to an extension, and redo Staley's contract.
and draft a potential road grader

I don't see a big market for Jamal. Maybe the Cowboys would take a flyer, maybe Tennessee or even Cleveland.

Jamal is a straight ahead, bruiser type runner who could be viewed a year or two from the decline of his career.
Dallas? Cant see that. RB is one of the few places we dont need someone. JJ is fine when healthy and when he isnt MB3 fills in nicely. We have too many other holes to fill so spending that kind of money on a feature back doesn't ake much sense to me. I think Jamal will land in Carolina. He would be a perfect fit for that team and would fit in nicely if Foster doesn't come back.

Cmon , the guy is still young .Last year was bad cause .

A) Jail time , he did not come to camp in shape .

B) Injuries ( all season )

C) they did not use him right , he needs to carry the ball 25 times a game and then he will break a few.

He is still one of the best in the business when healthy , and he will be next season.

Putting aside my personal views on just how good Jamal Lewis is [or isn't], I think if he passes a rigorous physical and works out well for interested teams he'll have tremendous interest in free agency.

Cmon , the guy is still young .

Last year was bad cause .

C) they did not use him right , he needs to carry the ball 25 times a game and then he will break a few.

He is still one of the best in the business when healthy , and he will be next season.
I just haven't seen many bruiser type backs change teams and do well. Could you compare his circumstance to somebody else's career.

I agree with Carolina - it makes sense on so many levels. Which is probably why it won't happen.
Not all levels, Jerry Richardson is leery about "character" issues since the whole Carruth mess. JLew's legal history may be all that is necessary to keep him out of Carolina.

I agree with Carolina - it makes sense on so many levels. Which is probably why it won't happen.
Not all levels, Jerry Richardson is leery about "character" issues since the whole Carruth mess. JLew's legal history may be all that is necessary to keep him out of Carolina.
Good point. The off-the-field issues are surely relevant in his case.

the latest I've seen

KFFL Ravens | Team will not use franchise tag on J. Lewis

Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:28:49 -0800

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports the Baltimore Ravens have announced the team will not use the franchise tag on RB Jamal Lewis, who will become an unrestricted free agent on March 3. "We will still consider the possibility of talking to Jamal about a long-term contract," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said in a statement Wednesday, Feb. 22.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Jamal owner and Steeler fan and I think it would be the perfect match. Haynes/Parker don't have near the talent that Jamal does. He would run for the most yards in the NFL in that offense.

I just haven't seen many bruiser type backs change teams and do well. Could you compare his circumstance to somebody else's career.
Didn't Jerome Bettis switch up teams midway through his career? He's almost the epitome of a bruising back, and he did just fine in Pitt.

Didn't Jerome Bettis switch up teams midway through his career? He's almost the epitome of a bruising back, and he did just fine in Pitt.
796 - Carries Bettis had in Los Angeles1,508 - Carries Lewis had in Baltimore

Total Carrier carries

2,865 - Eddie George

3,479 - Jerome Bettis

I also think Bettis was a far more 'shiftier player' than people give him credit for. Do you have a second example to show Bettis is not the exception?

I'm a Jamal owner and Steeler fan and I think it would be the perfect match. Haynes/Parker don't have near the talent that Jamal does. He would run for the most yards in the NFL in that offense.
Didn't staley teach you anything? Overpaying for a used up, over-hyped, injury prone back with off field issues who admitted to quitting on this season is NOT what pitt needs to do.

Stephen Davis did well when he went to Carolina. I think Jamal Lewis would be similar to him.

I believe he will definitely re-sign with Baltimore, because no team values him as much as they do, and they will be willing to invest the most in him. They are doing what any player would want, and that's letting him explore the free market before determining what's right.The Ravens just believe they will have the best offer regardless, and if they give him that illusion of having a choice in the matter, it will make him all the more willing to take what they give him.

Also, they know full-well no one is going to pay a Franchise-tender for a Jamal Lewis who was all banged up and running like a senior citizen last year. It saves them a lot of cabbage.

Stephen Davis did well when he went to Carolina. I think Jamal Lewis would be similar to him.
Math, you beat me to the punch. S. Davis is exactly the person i was thinking about. What about L. Jordan, does he qualify? I thought about including Ron Dayne but... ;)

I'm a Jamal owner and Steeler fan and I think it would be the perfect match.  Haynes/Parker don't have near the talent that Jamal does.  He would run for the most yards in the NFL in that offense.
Didn't staley teach you anything? Overpaying for a used up, over-hyped, injury prone back with off field issues who admitted to quitting on this season is NOT what pitt needs to do.
Comparing Staley to Jamal is a joke. Staley was never an elite RB. I certainly wouldn't break the bank if I were the Steelers but if they get him cheap he has a tremendous upside. His off field issues date back to before the draft and his 1st year in the league and he seems to have grown up since then. With regard to quiting it seems as if he was promised something by the Ravens (a contract extension) and when it appeared that they quit/renegged on him he quit on them. I don't necessarily agree with it but the guy has real talent.

Jacksonville, Carolina and Atlanta all make a ton of sense but there are a lot of available backs this year and only time will tell how this will all shake out.

Jamal Lewis has a great shot of regaining his past success this year. He is a big, shifty back that is tough to bring down. I believe last year was not the real Lewis.

Jacksonville, Carolina and Atlanta all make a ton of sense but there are a lot of available backs this year and only time will tell how this will all shake out.

Jamal Lewis has a great shot of regaining his past success this year.  He is a big, shifty back that is tough to bring down. I believe last year was not the real Lewis.
Cross Atlanta out. They are trying to get rid of that type of RB. Carolina to me seems like the only real possibility for him if he doesn't re-sign with Baltimore, which at this point I think is a sure bet. There was a great read a month or two ago by a Carolina beat writer that guaranteed the Panthers would not be in the market for any Jamal Lewises or Egerrin Jameses or Shaun Alexanders. Maybe Green Bay. That's a big maybe though.

Last edited:
A couple of places I could see him:

Carolina

Pittsburgh

Zona

Tennesse

Indy?

There are alot of if's.

IF: Edge signs somewhere else pretty quick. Not for huge money either, just more than the Colts can pay.

IF: Interest in Lewis is tempered. The Colts can't be in a bidding war. If its between the Colts and one or two other teams, there might be an allure to play in that offense.

IF: Bill Polian is seriously trying to turn more to a power running game to compliment the passing game. He has said once or twice on local radio that this was an area they needed to improve.

I know its far fetched. But with the climate for running backs going into free agency, there are too many scenarios/variables to predict where some players will end up.

Indy homer and we don't get much to go on here. Polian doesn't goes after free agents anymore. We know that Edge is probably going somewhere else. We know that someone will have to replace him. Could it be Lewis?

What do you think Lewis's value is in a dynasty league? If he ends up in a good situation (like David did with Carolina) I think he could have a solid year.

I'm a Jamal owner and Steeler fan and I think it would be the perfect match.  Haynes/Parker don't have near the talent that Jamal does.  He would run for the most yards in the NFL in that offense.
and Staley's got so much more character

Another good example, I will have to check his carries pre-Carolina tomorrow.

I believe he will definitely re-sign with Baltimore, because no team values him as much as they do, and they will be willing to invest the most in him. They are doing what any player would want, and that's letting him explore the free market before determining what's right.The Ravens just believe they will have the best offer regardless, and if they give him that illusion of having a choice in the matter, it will make him all the more willing to take what they give him.

Also, they know full-well no one is going to pay a Franchise-tender for a Jamal Lewis who was all banged up and running like a senior citizen last year. It saves them a lot of cabbage.
For what it's worth, a buddy who works for the Ravens [but isn't in the personnel department] says the Ozzie and Billick are unequivocably done with Jam; that he's most certainly not in their plans going forward. Take that for what it's worth :shrug:

Good I'd rather see him with a team that has an NFL QB!!!

Boller is killing any RB that goes to BALT or resigns there.

Carolina keeps popping up with Lewis and Alexander and they are to the edge of their salary cap. How are they going to sign an elite RB to a longterm deal (which is what Edge, Lewis, and SA want) if they are up against the cap? The Vikings and Cards have space and the Jags if tehy release Taylor will have some room to manuever as well but Carolina would be hard pressed to sign Lewis. I think they scoop up a 2nd tier guy and pair him with a capable Nick Goings and that's that.

You seriously cannot be trying to compare Duce's talent with Lewis'. Lewis has more talent in his little toe than what Duce has overall. Another good example of a somewhat big back changing teams and having success is Otis Anderson with the Giants and Stephen Davis with Carolina.

I certainly wouldn't break the bank if I were the Steelers but if they get him cheap he has a tremendous upside. 
There is no point in debating it because the Steelers won't be able to come close, let alone match, the offers that Lewis will get from other teams.First off, the Steelers are going to have a tough enough time keeping their own FAs. Secondly, I think the Steelers are happy with Parker, they just want a big back to get the tough yards. The Steelers will re-sign Haynes and renegotiate Staley's deal. As for Lewis, I think he is outta Baltimore.

Users who are viewing this thread