What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on Marlon McCree (1 Viewer)

bigreese82

Footballguy
Currently he's my number 6 DB behind

Mike Brown

Ronde Barber

Gibril Wilson

Nick Collins

Stuart Schweigert

What are your thoughts on him?redraft and dynasty :popcorn:

Thanks in advance

The Chargers are expected to pursue safe... Published Thu Mar 9 10:17:00 a.m. ET 2006

(Rotoworld) The Chargers are expected to pursue safety Marlon McCree.

Impact: The journeyman had a breakout season with the Panthers in 2005 and is going to get better deal to leave Carolina.

Bolts, McCree agree to terms

The Chargers have agreed to terms on a five-year contract with free agent safety Marlon McCree. The Bolts have scheduled a press conference for noon Sunday to introduce McCree to the local media.

McCree is coming off his fifth season in the NFL. In 2005 he led the Carolina Panthers in tackles with 88 stops. He also intercepted three passes, the third-best total on the squad. The Kentucky graduate entered the league as a seventh-round draft choice of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2001. In 2002, he tied the Jacksonville franchise record with six interceptions.

McCree spent the 2003 and 2004 seasons with the Texans and played under current Chargers secondary coach Brian Stewart during his first season in Houston. He scored his first NFL touchdown on a Texans-record 95-yard interception return of a Steve McNair pass versus Tennessee (12/21/03), the longest interception return of the 2003 season in the NFL. McCree signed with Carolina as an unrestricted free agent last March.

What does this do to Terrance Kiel?
Kiel will be fine as the SS. McCree will be competing with Jue as the starting FS.
Things are wide open now at both safety positions in San Diego. I asked a Charger message board what the depth chart would look like at safety next year, and here were the responses:"I'm guessing the starters will be McCree and Jue, assuming we don't go get anybody else."

"I'd like to see Hart get a shot at starting one of the safety positions, with McCree at the other."

"McCree would be our starting SS, I can see us going after Chris Hope and letting him and Jue go at it."

"Mcree, Milligan at SS, Hart, Jue at FS...would be my guess. Kiel gets lost in the numbers game."

In my own view, Clinton Hart played better than Kiel last year. I think it will be an open competition, but either McCree or Hart could end up starting at SS over Kiel, and Hanik Milligan should get a chance to compete this year as well. Kiel may still win the job, but I wouldn't rely on it. The waters are pretty muddied.

What does this do to Terrance Kiel?
Kiel will be fine as the SS. McCree will be competing with Jue as the starting FS.
He should be the SS since Jue has done a better job at FS than Kiel at SS. Kiel is a great tackler, but he is horrible at pass coverage and that is the Chargers main concern. I'm still not convinced that Jue will be the starter at FS, but we'll have to wait and see if the Chargers go after Hope or Demps.

I think McCree is a little over-rated. IIRC, 2 of his 3 ints came on passes deflected by Ken Lucas.

Last edited by a moderator:
McCree highlights from wildcard game vs Giants

Also a blurb from the SD Union-Tribune:

Chargers Team Report

3/12/2006

By Kevin Acee

San Diego Union-Tribune

S Marlon McCree, a free-agent signing, is not an exciting name, but he has shown more of an ability to make plays in pass coverage than any current Chargers defensive back. McCree (5-11, 205) is always around the ball. G.M. A.J. Smith says it's the coach's decision where McCree plays; Smith is excited by McCree's versatility. But McCree will most likely challenge Bhawoh Jue at free safety. And the Chargers did not bring McCree in to sit the bench. So Jue might be looking at a move to the strong side, where he would compete against incumbent Terrence Kiel and recently re-signed Clinton Hart, or be working as a reserve.

So Jue might be looking at a move to the strong side, where he would compete against incumbent Terrence Kiel and recently re-signed Clinton Hart, or be working as a reserve.
That's interesting. Since McCree came in there has been speculation as to who he would compete with seeing he could play both positions. I completely forgot the Jue was versatile as well. This scenario would seem to make the most sense. It would also make me less concerned about McCree's lack of "ball-hawking" skills.

So Jue might be looking at a move to the strong side, where he would compete against incumbent Terrence Kiel and recently re-signed Clinton Hart, or be working as a reserve.
That's interesting. Since McCree came in there has been speculation as to who he would compete with seeing he could play both positions. I completely forgot the Jue was versatile as well. This scenario would seem to make the most sense. It would also make me less concerned about McCree's lack of "ball-hawking" skills.
I don't have the link, but I read that McCree might be moved to FS and Jue to SS.

tackle WRs who beat him for a reception while they're laying on the ground
That WR obviously wasn't his man, but I agree with you that it was hardly what I would call a "highlight."

So basically he has questionable hands, can return INTs backwards, tackle WRs who beat him for a reception while they're laying on the ground, and tackle a RB past the first down marker by the face mask.
Sad to say, but that sounds like an upgrade at either of the Chargers' safety positions.

So basically he has questionable hands, can return INTs backwards, tackle WRs who beat him for a reception while they're laying on the ground, and tackle a RB past the first down marker by the face mask.
Sad to say, but that sounds like an upgrade at either of the Chargers' safety positions.
:lmao: I thought the highlight reel was a spoof.Did I mention he has great guns?

S Bhawoh Jue was in no shape to work during the offseason coaching sessions. In addition to having his knee scoped for loose cartilage, he underwent a micro fracture procedure which is much more serious. ... Jue (knee) won't test his knee until the July training camp.
Link

MT, do you think SD is happy enough with their current group of S's that they wouldn't even consider a player like Lance Schulters? I've always liked that guy and he plays the ball well enough to create some of those TO's the coaching staff seems desperate for.

Last I heard Schulters was being considered in SEA but then they made the move for Mike Green. MIA drafted Jason Allen pretty high and some see him playing at S. MIA hasn't seemed to be in a rush to re-up Lance regardless.

From TSN:

Clinton Hart is impressing coaches and teammates and could be considered the early leader (but still not the favorite) in the race to start at strong safety ahead of Terrence Kiel and Bhawoh Jue. Kiel has started there since his rookie season in 2003, but an ankle injury slowed him last season. Jue, the free safety last season, has been displaced by free agent Marlon McCree. He still is the favorite based on the fact he was last year's free agent signing and still is considered the best football player of the three. However, Hart showed last season as he made starts at both strong and free safety, that he can go after the ball and be a solid enough tackler. Grounded and serious about his career after coming up through the Arena League, he has also developed into something of a leader. . . .

MT, do you think SD is happy enough with their current group of S's that they wouldn't even consider a player like Lance Schulters? I've always liked that guy and he plays the ball well enough to create some of those TO's the coaching staff seems desperate for.

Last I heard Schulters was being considered in SEA but then they made the move for Mike Green. MIA drafted Jason Allen pretty high and some see him playing at S. MIA hasn't seemed to be in a rush to re-up Lance regardless.
They might consider another safety, but I don't think it'd be Schulters. At this stage, he doesn't have the speed to play a deep half very well.

Chargers hold minicamp with evolving secondary

Once again, the Chargers' secondary is in flux.

At cornerback, there is the just-beginning battle between first-round draft pick Antonio Cromartie and incumbent Drayton Florence. In voluntary training sessions the past month, Florence has appeared passionate about retaining his job. Cromartie has looked about as expected – gifted and raw.

“He has a lot to learn,” cornerback Quentin Jammer said of the No. 19 draft pick. “He has talents I haven't seen (before).”

At safety, one thing is known. Marlon McCree was not signed this offseason to sit. He will start come fall, and indications are it will be at free safety.

That leaves three players evidently vying for the starting job on the strong side. While Bhawoh Jue, the free safety last season, would appear the leading candidate to move over, he had knee surgery this offseason and will not participate in workouts until training camp.

Of changing positions and doing so after missing the entire offseason, Jue said recently, “It will be an uphill battle. But at the end of the day I think I can get it done.”

Clinton Hart, who last season started four games at strong safety and one at free, has impressed coaches and teammates both with his work as a fill-in in a new system last season and with his improvement this offseason.

Incumbent strong safety Terrence Kiel also remains. A starter since midway through his rookie season in 2003, Kiel injured an ankle in last season's fourth game and by December needed surgery to insert three screws.

“It affected my play a whole lot,” Kiel said of the ankle. “I know there were some plays I didn't make.”

Finally...the Chargers seem to have settled on the safety position. Marlon McCree has finally moved ahead of Bwahoh Jue as expected and Terrence Kiel keeps the SS gig.

nctimes.com

The competition in the secondary is starting to work itself out. Said Schottenheimer: "As we speak, Marlon (McCree) is at free safety and Terrence (Kiel) is at strong safety." He also indicated CB Drayton Florence has so far held off rookie Antonio Cromartie

Finally...the Chargers seem to have settled on the safety position. Marlon McCree has finally moved ahead of Bwahoh Jue as expected and Terrence Kiel keeps the SS gig.

nctimes.com

The competition in the secondary is starting to work itself out. Said Schottenheimer: "As we speak, Marlon (McCree) is at free safety and Terrence (Kiel) is at strong safety." He also indicated CB Drayton Florence has so far held off rookie Antonio Cromartie
Confirmed. :yes: Kiel had a heck of a game against the Seahawks.

Users who are viewing this thread