What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sleeper WRs (1 Viewer)

wannabee

Footballguy
I know it is veryy early in the offseason. Free agency is just starting, and the draft is still over a month away. But, I think we can look at a couple of situations and WRs who could be sleepers (assuming these teams are not very active in free agency):

Seattle - With Jurevicous signing in Cleveland, this leaves Engram and Hackett as the WR2 and WR3 in Seattle. I know some are touting Hackett, even before the JJ signing, but I like Engram again this coming year. Engram was a startable WR2-3 in many leagues last year. He could be had very cheaply again in 2006. But, if you believe in Hackett, he will be cheap, too.

Philly - Last year we saw the Eagles with all sorts of problems. With the potential absence of TO, I like Reggie Brown to be a sleeper in 2006. He came on strong and finished 2005 with a flurry. Brown did this damage late in the year with McMahon and Detmer at QB. One has to think that Brown will be a solid sleeper in 2006 assuming no huge free agent WR signings. I do expect a WR free agent signing, but that could lead to Brown being overshadowed.

SF - With the news of the LLoyd trade, I see this as a vote of confidence for Arnaz Battle. I realize that Battle's upside is limited while Smith gains experience and confidence. Battle played well in 2005 before injury. I do expectthe Niners to sign a free agent WR, but the opening will be there for Battle to capitalize on.

Any thoughts on this? Any situations I omitted? Some I left off were Samie Parker due to a potential TO signing, Horn/Stallworth if Brees goes to NO, and Moss/Porter if and when Culpepper arrives in Oakland and is healthy.

I know it is veryy early in the offseason. Free agency is just starting, and the draft is still over a month away. But, I think we can look at a couple of situations and WRs who could be sleepers (assuming these teams are not very active in free agency):

Seattle - With Jurevicous signing in Cleveland, this leaves Engram and Hackett as the WR2 and WR3 in Seattle. I know some are touting Hackett, even before the JJ signing, but I like Engram again this coming year. Engram was a startable WR2-3 in many leagues last year. He could be had very cheaply again in 2006. But, if you believe in Hackett, he will be cheap, too.

Philly - Last year we saw the Eagles with all sorts of problems. With the potential absence of TO, I like Reggie Brown to be a sleeper in 2006. He came on strong and finished 2005 with a flurry. Brown did this damage late in the year with McMahon and Detmer at QB. One has to think that Brown will be a solid sleeper in 2006 assuming no huge free agent WR signings. I do expect a WR free agent signing, but that could lead to Brown being overshadowed.

SF - With the news of the LLoyd trade, I see this as a vote of confidence for Arnaz Battle. I realize that Battle's upside is limited while Smith gains experience and confidence. Battle played well in 2005 before injury. I do expectthe Niners to sign a free agent WR, but the opening will be there for Battle to capitalize on.

Any thoughts on this? Any situations I omitted? Some I left off were Samie Parker due to a potential TO signing, Horn/Stallworth if Brees goes to NO, and Moss/Porter if and when Culpepper arrives in Oakland and is healthy.
:goodposting:

I think Hackett will have at least 10 TD's next season if Seattle doesn't make a move for another WR in free agency. Engram will continue to be a great yardage and reception guy, but he's not much of a redzone threat. That's where Hackett comes in...

I think Hackett will have at least 10 TD's next season if Seattle doesn't make a move for another WR in free agency. Engram will continue to be a great yardage and reception guy, but he's not much of a redzone threat. That's where Hackett comes in...
Good points. I might be inclined to think that the absence of JJ would increase the red zone production of Stevens to some degree.

Nolan has either seen something he likes in Woods or more likely will bring in a FA WR as WR1/2

Moulds? (<- pure speculation)

I think Hackett will have at least 10 TD's next season if Seattle doesn't make a move for another WR in free agency.  Engram will continue to be a great yardage and reception guy, but he's not much of a redzone threat.  That's where Hackett comes in...
Good points. I might be inclined to think that the absence of JJ would increase the red zone production of Stevens to some degree.
Agree, Stevens (if he can hold on to the ball) should be a beneficiary

Is Hackett known as a redzone type of WR... I thought he was more a of a speed WR??? Anyway, he could have some good value in 06, but Engram should as well... and Engram will probably be overlooked by many.

I also think Battle could be very good in PPR leagues...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nolan has either seen something he likes in Woods or more likely will bring in a FA WR as WR1/2

Moulds? (<- pure speculation)
Hoping, but I haven't heard anything since his last injury in camp.Is there anything here?

Is Hackett known as a redzone type of WR... I thought he was more a of a speed WR??? Anyway, he could have some good value in 06, but Engram should as well... and Engram will probably be overlooked by many.

I also think Battle could be very good in PPR leagues...
Hass has said on more than one occasion that he prefers Engram in the end zone. He also doesn't seem to shy away from Stevens or DJax, so I can't see how Hackett is any higher than the 4th receiver option.

One player that could surprise in SF is Derrick Hamilton. He'll only be one year removed from the ACL injury and he's obviously never proven himself in the NFL, but he has a chance now to impress and he has the skills necessary to do so.

One player that could surprise in SF is Derrick Hamilton. He'll only be one year removed from the ACL injury and he's obviously never proven himself in the NFL, but he has a chance now to impress and he has the skills necessary to do so.
I don't know about that. Seemed to me like both he and Rashaun were busts when they did see the field in preseason or whenever.

Hackett has excellent size and strength and a 40 inch + vertical. He can create better separation than Engram can inside the 20. There will definitely be plenty of jump ball situations for him.As much as like Engram, those looking for TD's to compliment all of the yardage that he is going to rack up are going to be sorely disapointed.

One player that could surprise in SF is Derrick Hamilton.  He'll only be one year removed from the ACL injury and he's obviously never proven himself in the NFL, but he has a chance now to impress and he has the skills necessary to do so.
I don't know about that. Seemed to me like both he and Rashaun were busts when they did see the field in preseason or whenever.
Interesting. I remember reading good things about how he looked.

Hackett has excellent size and strength and a 40 inch + vertical. He can create better separation than Engram can inside the 20. There will definitely be plenty of jump ball situations for him.As much as like Engram, those looking for TD's to compliment all of the yardage that he is going to rack up are going to be sorely disapointed.
I believe you underestimate Hass' confidence and comfort in looking to Engram. Hass likes Engram and believes he will make the tough catch. That's critical and makes him a go-to type WR. Hackett hasn't done anything to make him fit that role.

I believe you underestimate Hass' confidence and comfort in looking to Engram. Hass likes Engram and believes he will make the tough catch. That's critical and makes him a go-to type WR. Hackett hasn't done anything to make him fit that role.
I'm well aware that Engram is Hasselbeck's favorite WR. He has complete confidence in him. As well he should. Engram is as good as it gets on crucial 3rd down plays. But that in no way translates to red zone production for Engram. Engram has just 5 combined TD's in the past 2 years. He simply isn't a factor in the red zone. Hasselbeck doesn't look his way inside the 20, and Engram isn't much of a threat to score on deep pass plays because that's just not his game.

Meanwhile Hackett is poised to take over the role of JJ (barring a Seahawks move in free agency for a veteran WR). He may have only scored 2 TD's this past season, but we're talking about a guy who registered his first career catch in week 5. The progress he made throughout the year was amazing. He emerged as the team's best pure deep threat, and was robbed of multiple TD catches this season due to the defense having to resort to pass interference to stop him.

In other words, Hackett will be a threat to score TD's via the long ball, and he'll have every opportunity to fill the red zone role that JJ did for the Seahawks when he scored 10 TD's. In the Seahawks lethal 3 WR sets, it's the 3rd WR that faces the bulk of the mismatches. Expect Hackett to take advantage of that.

Here's my prediction for the Seahawks WR production next season:

Darrell Jackson: 102 receptions, 1,280 yards, 10 TD's

Bobby Engram: 90 receptions, 1,075 yards, 3 TD's

Jerramy Stevens: 60 receptions, 630 yards, 7 TD's

D.J. Hackett: 55 receptions, 750 yards, 8 TD's

Flame away.

Hackett has excellent size and strength and a 40 inch + vertical. He can create better separation than Engram can inside the 20.
nice combine stats for a guy that's been in the NFL

Is Hackett known as a redzone type of WR... I thought he was more a of a speed WR???  Anyway, he could have some good value in 06, but Engram should as well... and Engram will probably be overlooked by many.
I'm well aware that Engram is Hasselbeck's favorite WR. He has complete confidence in him. As well he should. Engram is as good as it gets on crucial 3rd down plays. But that in no way translates to red zone production for Engram. Engram has just 5 combined TD's in the past 2 years. He simply isn't a factor in the red zone. Hasselbeck doesn't look his way inside the 20, and Engram isn't much of a threat to score on deep pass plays because that's just not his game.

Meanwhile Hackett is poised to take over the role of JJ (barring a Seahawks move in free agency for a veteran WR). He may have only scored 2 TD's this past season, but we're talking about a guy who registered his first career catch in week 5. The progress he made throughout the year was amazing. He emerged as the team's best pure deep threat, and was robbed of multiple TD catches this season due to the defense having to resort to pass interference to stop him.

In other words, Hackett will be a threat to score TD's via the long ball, and he'll have every opportunity to fill the red zone role that JJ did for the Seahawks when he scored 10 TD's. In the Seahawks lethal 3 WR sets, it's the 3rd WR that faces the bulk of the mismatches. Expect Hackett to take advantage of that.

Flame away.
Those are huge numbers. You are projecting Hass to throw for 3700 and 28td's (both improvements from his overall totals last year) without counting any passing yardage to his rb's, te2 or wr's4-6 (which should be good for another 400-600 yards minimum).

I'd like to see where Tim Carter winds up. (like anyone) if he could get some significant playing time and stay healthy......

Something about him. His speed is pretty instant he's explosive. Chances are he's a bust but I thought he finally showed something last year

I'll drop a name that may come out of the ashes.

Todd Pinkston.

If the Eagles don't sign Moulds or Givens or even Bryant, look for Reggie Brown and Pinkston to line up 1/2 for Philly.

We all know how often Andy Reid calls run plays.

McNabb should get 3200+ yards passing once again, so look for Pinkston to maybe not have a banner year, but a respectable WR2 stat line.

Todd Pinkston.
what if I counter with "well how many times have you said that and been burned?"
This is NOT my preferred choice for Philly's 2nd starter......... but if he does wind up in that situation, it may be a name many forgot this past season. He's more of a stiff than a stud, but he can be easily thrown into the sleeper mix due to his "stealth mode" existence last year with a torn knee.

What about Buffalo?If Moulds is gone, shouldn't Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish be in this category?

Todd Pinkston.
what if I counter with "well how many times have you said that and been burned?"
This is NOT my preferred choice for Philly's 2nd starter......... but if he does wind up in that situation, it may be a name many forgot this past season. He's more of a stiff than a stud, but he can be easily thrown into the sleeper mix due to his "stealth mode" existence last year with a torn knee.
Hey to each his own I guessPersonally, he's in my corey bradford list

I think Buffalo WRs rest on who is at QB. If Losman is starting, I like Evans a lot. If it is Holcomb or other QB - who knows. But, right now it is up in the air.

As most realize, last year there was a real and direct correlation between which WR fluorished under which QB. Evans did very well with Losman at the helm. For Mould, Holcomb looked his way primarily.

I think Buffalo WRs rest on who is at QB. If Losman is starting, I like Evans a lot. If it is Holcomb or other QB - who knows. But, right now it is up in the air.

As most realize, last year there was a real and direct correlation between which WR fluorished under which QB. Evans did very well with Losman at the helm. For Mould, Holcomb looked his way primarily.
this won't happen again. "That's bush league"

:confused: Low on sleep again?

I think Buffalo WRs rest on who is at QB.  If Losman is starting, I like Evans a lot.  If it is Holcomb or other QB - who knows.  But, right now it is up in the air.

As most realize, last year there was a real and direct correlation between which WR fluorished under which QB.  Evans did very well with Losman at the helm.  For Mould, Holcomb looked his way primarily.
:confused: Low on sleep again?
what's sleep?

My sleeper this year is Ronald Curry. I am encouraged by the fact that the Raiders did not cut him despite his high cap number. Instead they choose to restructure his contract.

Raiders | Team saves money by changing Curry’s contract

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 07:51:41 -0800

Jerry McDonald, of the Oakland Tribune, reports the Oakland Raiders shifted some incentive payouts in WR Ronald Curry's contract from 2006 to 2007 to save some money on their 2006 salary cap. Although he retained his original salary, his cap number dropped from $5,040,000 to $1,640,000.

Not sure why they would do that unless they believed that Curry could recover from his Achilles injury.

My sleeper this year is Ronald Curry. I am encouraged by the fact that the Raiders did not cut him despite his high cap number. Instead they choose to restructure his contract.

Jerry McDonald, of the Oakland Tribune, reports the Oakland Raiders shifted some incentive payouts in WR Ronald Curry's contract from 2006 to 2007 to save some money on their 2006 salary cap. Although he retained his original salary, his cap number dropped from $5,040,000 to $1,640,000.

Not sure why they would do that unless they believed that Curry could recover from his Achilles injury.
so if he's not OK after the Achilles they can cut him before (2007) he makes the big $?

My sleeper this year is Ronald Curry.  I am encouraged by the fact that the Raiders did not cut him despite his high cap number.  Instead they choose to restructure his contract.

so if he's not OK after the Achilles they can cut him before (2007) he makes the big $?
True but this is a team that had to cut starters this year to get under the cap. Obviously they feel he still has something to offer. That's my interpretation of it anyway.

True but this is a team that had to cut starters this year to get under the cap. Obviously they feel he still has something to offer. That's my interpretation of it anyway.
But where will Curry's opportunities come from? I think Gabriel has moved ahead of him now, and even if not, Curry's not moving into the starting lineup ahead of Porter or Moss. I was lovin' him 2 years ago, but since the injuries he's pretty much buried fantasywise unless others are injured.Folks, keep Rashaun Woods on your radar. I'm not going to overhype the guy, but don't forget the former 1st rounder is still around and may get a chance to show he's figured out whatever he lost between OK St and SF.

My sleeper this year is Ronald Curry.  I am encouraged by the fact that the Raiders did not cut him despite his high cap number.  Instead they choose to restructure his contract.

But where will Curry's opportunities come from? I think Gabriel has moved ahead of him now, and even if not, Curry's not moving into the starting lineup ahead of Porter or Moss. I was lovin' him 2 years ago, but since the injuries he's pretty much buried fantasywise unless others are injured.Folks, keep Rashaun Woods on your radar. I'm not going to overhype the guy, but don't forget the former 1st rounder is still around and may get a chance to show he's figured out whatever he lost between OK St and SF.
You don't think SF will sign a WR and/or draft one. Woods was behind Hamilton until he tore his ACL. Curry has enough talent to create an oppertunity, I can't say the same for Woods.

You don't think SF will sign a WR and/or draft one. Woods was behind Hamilton until he tore his ACL. Curry has enough talent to create an oppertunity, I can't say the same for Woods.
Don't misunderstand, I'm not touting Woods as the starter in SF. I just said don't forget he's there and that they may not have given up on him. First round picks generally get more rope than other players. That's all.As for Curry, he has no more talent than he did last year before his 2nd achilles tear, and was #3 then. Gabriel has shown himself to be a good #3 and although I'm not able to prove it, I think Gabriel is expected to be the #3 this year. It's easy to say Curry's talent will create the opportunity, but the guys ahead of him have talent too, and haven't had 2 season-ending injuries in 2 years. If he's #4 on the depth chart (or even #3), he's not very fantasyworthy unless someone gets hurt. Are you saying you believe his talent will push him past Porter into the starting lineup?

As for Curry, he has no more talent than he did last year before his 2nd achilles tear, and was #3 then.
Last year he did not play but in 2004 he was the #2.
Player No Yds Avg Long TDJerry Porter 64 998 15.6 52 9 Ronald Curry 50 679 13.6 63 6 Doug Gabriel 33 551 16.7 58 2Moss did not arrive until 2005. Curry is more suited to play the slot than Gabriel IMO.
Gabriel has shown himself to be a good #3 and although I'm not able to prove it, I think Gabriel is expected to be the #3 this year. It's easy to say Curry's talent will create the opportunity, but the guys ahead of him have talent too, and haven't had 2 season-ending injuries in 2 years. If he's #4 on the depth chart (or even #3), he's not very fantasyworthy unless someone gets hurt. Are you saying you believe his talent will push him past Porter into the starting lineup?
No I don't think he will eclipse Porter but I still like him more as a sleeper than Woods.

Are you saying you believe his talent will push him past Porter into the starting lineup?
I think he could, assuming he comes back 100%. There's just something about him on the field that Porter seems to lack.

I'm well aware of what Curry did in 2004 - two injuries ago, before Gabriel had the chance to emerge due those injuries, and before Moss arrived. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree as to his opportunity to put up any significant numbers in 2006.

Flame away.
Oh dear God I hope so, but I don't think so.No need for anyone to flame. I just think most are going to disagree. I like your Jackson and Stevens projections, but I think you're being too hopeful on Engram and Hackett.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not touting Woods as the starter in SF. I just said don't forget he's there and that they may not have given up on him. First round picks generally get more rope than other players. That's all.
serious QWhat do you think of Tim Carter and Bryant Johnson?

I'm well aware of what Curry did in 2004 - two injuries ago, before Gabriel had the chance to emerge due those injuries, and before Moss arrived. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree as to his opportunity to put up any significant numbers in 2006.
Sorry about that, I think I misunderstood at least one of your statements. I am in fairly deep dynasty leagues so sleeper to me would mean a totally different thing than it would in a redraft or not so deep dynasty league. In other words, I don’t need Curry to put up consistent significant numbers to be a good sleeper in my leagues. So I will leave at that.

Oh dear God I hope so, but I don't think so.

No need for anyone to flame. I just think most are going to disagree. I like your Jackson and Stevens projections, but I think you're being too hopeful on Engram and Hackett.
I think Hasselbeck will flirt with a 4,000 yard season. The Seahawks have a much tougher schedule, and as a result, they won't be able to sit on huge leads as much as they did this past year. The last game of the season might even mean something...Anyway, I still haven't forgotten that Jackson and Engram lead the NFL in combined receptions through week 4 this past season. If it weren't for Jackson blowing out his knee, and Engram cracking his ribs, I think they could have kept it up. Jackson is simply put a special WR, and all Bobby Engram does is get open. Couple that with the fact that Hasselbeck loves Engram, and I don't see anything short of injury getting in the way of them both having a huge year.

As for Hackett, Holmgren loves his 3-WR sets, and Hackett will have mismatches galore with his combination of speed and size. He'll definitely be a factor in the deep passing game, and as I said before, if he even gets half of the looks that JJ got in the red zone, he'll put excellent TD numers.

At any rate, Hackett's fate is still up for grabs. It remains to be seen what the Hawks will do in free angency and the draft at WR. I'm not going to truly start touting Hackett as the next breakout star until this summer when I see what kind of chemistry develops between him and Hasselbeck in training camp.

No one has mentioned Ernest Wilford on any sleeper WR thread I've read here. IMO, he's the ultimate sleeper: Solid production last year, with an aging #1 ahead of him, and looked to be the go to guy for Jax at the end of last year. Plus he's got that anti-name recognition thing going for him. Thoughts?

No one has mentioned Ernest Wilford on any sleeper WR thread I've read here. IMO, he's the ultimate sleeper: Solid production last year, with an aging #1 ahead of him, and looked to be the go to guy for Jax at the end of last year. Plus he's got that anti-name recognition thing going for him. Thoughts?
I think Matt Jones also has sleeper potential and it will be interesting to see the battle between him and Matt Jones provided the opportunity exists. Jax has lots of receiving talent so I don't think that R.Williams will be much of a factor.

I think Matt Jones also has sleeper potential and it will be interesting to see the battle between him and Matt Jones provided the opportunity exists. Jax has lots of receiving talent so I don't think that R.Williams will be much of a factor.
I will sign up for a ticket on the early-early-pre-pre-season "Matt Jones Band Wagon". They guy was a QB in college, so I would guess a year as an NFL WR under his belt should help this superfreak become much more of a fantasy factor. :wub:

I will sign up for a ticket on the early-early-pre-pre-season "Matt Jones Band Wagon". They guy was a QB in college, so I would guess a year as an NFL WR under his belt should help this superfreak become much more of a fantasy factor. :wub:
Imagine how good Michael Vick would be by now if he would have been playing at WR all these NFL years. :blush: :shock: :lmao: :eek: :headbang: :pickle: :clap: :lol:

Some Sleepers off the top of my head:

Troy Brown - no proven WR2 on the roster, he knows the offense, and he's dependable. PPR league special

Jerricho Cotchery - I like what Ive seen from him. If McCareins fails to live up to billing, Cotchery could take the WR2 spot from him.

Cedrick Wilson - Should be able to take over ARE's deep routes and face little competition for the WR2 spot.

Scottie Vines - was very solid when given the chance to play last year and has some questionable guys (rogers, BMW) as competition for the WR2 spot.

Brian Finneran - Looked like a starting quality WR when Schaub was in. No real standout WR in Atlanta right now.

Troy Brown - no proven WR2 on the roster, he knows the offense, and he's dependable. PPR league special

Jerricho Cotchery - I like what Ive seen from him. If McCareins fails to live up to billing, Cotchery could take the WR2 spot from him.

Cedrick Wilson - Should be able to take over ARE's deep routes and face little competition for the WR2 spot.

Scottie Vines - was very solid when given the chance to play last year and has some questionable guys (rogers, BMW) as competition for the WR2 spot.

Brian Finneran - Looked like a starting quality WR when Schaub was in. No real standout WR in Atlanta right now.
Good list. I know Bloom agrees. I like Patrick Crayton. The two WRs in front of him on the depth chart each have risks. Glenn is an oldtimer that could very well get nicked up again at any time. On the other side is TO. I do not think I need to elaborate on TO's risk. I see a 50% or better opportunity for Crayton to start at some time in this season. Whether he continues to mature (and adjust from being a college QB), and takes a step forward, remains to be seen. But, Crayton did show playmaking ability last year.

Good list. I know Bloom agrees.
:lmao:

Good list. I know Bloom agrees.
:lmao:
It is funny. But he and I are the only ones pimping Crayton here

Users who are viewing this thread