What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who are your top TE's (1 Viewer)

Quite often a young QB locks onto one receiver that he's comfortable with. Looking at the Charger receivers my guess is if that happens with Rivers than it will be with Gates. If that does happen than Big Antonio's numbers could be even bigger. This guy is just hitting his prime and with LT2 around he'll always have a little breathing room and can't be totally focused on. Unless Rivers reallys bombs than I don't see Gates not putting up monster numbers.

Last year I was wrong about Gates. I predicted that he wouldn't be able to duplicate his FP from '04 because so much of it came from TDs. He is obviously the number one TE, but I think Gonzo is going to bounce back in a big way. Gonzo's '05 season is his floor and assuming that you'll probably be able to get him a round later than Gates, I think he'll be a better value than Gates in '06.

I wouldn't leave Heath Miller off the list. He had 6 td's last year, and Bettis had 9. With Bettis gone, I figure Miller is a lock for 10, and considerably more yardage than he had in '05.

i think gonzo will be a great value this year,w/ roaf healthy i doubt he stays in to block as much as he did last year. i would still rate gonzo #2

Witten is way better than Cooley. You're also forgetting about Kellen Winslow Jr. He may be stupid, but he's still extremely talented.

2. Heap - Nice steady target

3. Gates - Rivers hurts his numbers
So Heap is #2 because Boller is so much better than Rivers?
Heap was number 3 last year, and he and Boller have worked together. Maybe Rivers proves me wrong, but, until Rivers can prove something, I'll take Heap.

I wouldn't leave Heath Miller off the list. He had 6 td's last year, and Bettis had 9. With Bettis gone, I figure Miller is a lock for 10, and considerably more yardage than he had in '05.
:goodposting:

Witten is way better than Cooley.  You're also forgetting about Kellen Winslow Jr.  He may be stupid, but he's still extremely talented.
:eek: Witten better than Cooley??? Kellen Winslow Jr.??? :rolleyes:
You said it right Hawk. How do we know how good Winslow will be? He has to play in a few games first.

Gates will still be #1 (at least in my book).

Todd Christensen was the #1 fantasy TE with Jim Plunkett and the Raiders switched to Marc Wilson who had played sparingly and Chistensen still was the #1 TE.

Ozzie Newsome was a Top 3 TE with Brian Sipe and utilized Paul McDonald at QB for a year. Newsome rankes 2nd.

Tony Gonzalez was the #1 TE with Elvis Grbac and was again with Trent Green.

Wesley Walls was Top 3 with Kerry Collins and Steve Beuerlein.

Keith Jackson was a Top 2 TE with Randall Cunningham and Jim McMahon in PHI.

Steve Jordan was Top 5 for several years with Tommy Kramer, Wade Wilson, and Rich Gannon.

These are examples of great TEs that switched QBs and sstill produced. Will an inexperienced Rivers cause a MAJOR dropoff for Gates? I doubt it. Gates averaged 10.9 ppg last year vs. 8.9 for Shockey (12% more than Shockey). In 2004, Gates averaged 11.3 ppg, which was 3.4 ppg higher than Witten at #3 (Gonzalez was pretty close)--30% more than Witten.

Gates may initially dip slightly this season, but I doubt he will drop to third (or even second).

And Heap could very well have a different QB as well, so he could be going through a major transition as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better put Vernon Davis up there
How so?You don't even know what team is on. Rookie man love, must be spring time.
I will jump out on that limb and agree that Vernon Davis will be a top 5 TE this season and has the potential to be a top 3 TE if he goes to the right team.Edit: I do hope that its a strong limb, I used to be an Offensive Lineman in high school... And that was when I was little! :eek:

Better put Vernon Davis up there
:thumbup: Easily #1 next year. That guy is going to be an absolute monster. Faster than DBs @ 270? blocks like a franchise left tackle and catches like Jerry Rice.

I don't see how he's not in the hall of fame already. Give him until week 4 like Cadillac. They'll find a way to get him in.

Last edited:
2. Heap - Nice steady target

3. Gates - Rivers hurts his numbers
So Heap is #2 because Boller is so much better than Rivers?
Hmm.. I'm comfortable saying Boller is better than Rivers.I'd go Shcokey, Gates, Heap, though.

2006 Top 10 TE

1 Antonio Gates

2 Todd Heap

3 Jeremy Shockey

4 Alge Crumpler

5 LJ Smith

6 Tony Gonzalez

7 Randy McMichael

8 Jason Witten

9 Chris Cooley

10 Ben Watson

:football:
1. A. Gates2. J. Shockey

3. R. Mc Michael

4. T. Heap

5. V. Davis

6. T. Gonzalez

7. A. Crumpler

8. Jason Witten

9. Ben Watson

10. L.J. Smith

I'm wondering if the Pats have plans to utilize Watson more in the slot as a WR this season given their lack of bodies at WR. If so, I would give Watson a big bump. This is just a what if scenario, certainly nothing more than me thinking out loud.

I had TG last year and i have to say I was pretty disappointed. He was mediocre at best all season and I kept waiting for him to have a big game and he never did. He is not going to be my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd TE choice this year.

i think gonzo will be a great value this year,w/ roaf healthy i doubt he stays in to block as much as he did last year. i would still rate gonzo #2
One of the most unbelievable values right now. He has an abnormally low number of touchdowns one season suddenly people rank him the 5th or 6th tight end. Of course they are doing the same with TO who had more ppg last year than Steve Smith. What's real funny is that the web sites and magazines will mostly rank the same way.

2006 Top 10 TE

1 Antonio Gates           

2 Todd Heap

3 Jeremy Shockey

4 Alge Crumpler

5 LJ Smith

6 Tony Gonzalez

7 Randy McMichael

8 Jason Witten

9 Chris Cooley

10 Ben Watson

1. A. Gates2. J. Shockey

3. R. Mc Michael

4. T. Heap

5. V. Davis

6. T. Gonzalez

7. A. Crumpler

8. Jason Witten

9. Ben Watson

10. L.J. Smith
How can you not put Cooley in the top 10??

2006 Top 10 TE

1 Antonio Gates           

2 Todd Heap

3 Jeremy Shockey

4 Alge Crumpler

5 LJ Smith

6 Tony Gonzalez

7 Randy McMichael

8 Jason Witten

9 Chris Cooley

10 Ben Watson

1. A. Gates2. J. Shockey

3. R. Mc Michael

4. T. Heap

5. V. Davis

6. T. Gonzalez

7. A. Crumpler

8. Jason Witten

9. Ben Watson

10. L.J. Smith
having V.daivs above Gonzo at this point makes no sense

2006 Top 10 TE

1 Antonio Gates

2 Todd Heap

3 Jeremy Shockey

4 Alge Crumpler

5 LJ Smith

6 Tony Gonzalez

7 Randy McMichael

8 Jason Witten

9 Chris Cooley

10 Ben Watson

1. A. Gates2. J. Shockey

3. R. Mc Michael

4. T. Heap

5. V. Davis

6. T. Gonzalez

7. A. Crumpler

8. Jason Witten

9. Ben Watson

10. L.J. Smith
In a dynasty ranking, maybe.Redraft? Not a chance, unless somehow the Chiefs are able to sign TO and Keyshawn. ;)

Looking at the various lists I can definitely say that this year is the deepest that I've seen at the TE position. Gone are the days of the big 3. There are very good TE's like Troupe, Winslow that will probably be ranked in the 10-12 range and have the possibility of putting up top 5 stats. This is definitely the year to take the last TE off board.

1. Gates - how can you doubt this guy?

2. Gonzo - totally agree with radballs, this guy is still a stud

3. Heap - much healthier this offseason

4. Shockey - really 3a

5. Crumpler - still the #1 receiver on the Falcons

6. Witten - TO showing up would hurt him

7. LJSmith - Could easily end up being McNabb's goto guy this year

8. McMichael - Cpep will use him

9. Cooley - Washington finally has WRs other than Moss

10.Troupe - Should be featured this year

11.Watson - Could step up with Givens gone, breakout year coming

12.Miller - run first offense holds him back

I wouldn't be surprised to see Zach Hilton in the top 12, and Watson and Troupe both have top 6-8 potential. Winslow could definitely break the top 10 if he's healthy. Alex Smith also just missed making this list. Vernon Davis will get there eventually, but maybe not in his rookie year - its very hard for rookie TEs to make that kind of impact. I have finally given up on Jerramy Stevens becoming a top 10 fantasy TE.

All in all, TE just gets deeper and deeper with the basketball power forward types in vogue, and more big guys being athletic enough to be productive receivers.

Heath Miller getting very little respect in here...
The problem with Miller is he won't be consistent enough for your team.Sure he'll have a decent game, but man he can rack ya up a ZERO.

Plus zero TD' in Nov. & Dec.

Not enough passing for him to be an option.

The Steelers attempt fewer passes than anyone in the league. They complete slightly over 14 a game. They already have their #1 target in Hines Ward. I just don't see how Miller breaks the top 6-8 TEs unles he becomes a bubba franks type with tons of 1 yard TDs.

Miller?How about Crumpler? He is again the best value at the position, followed closely by, Miller, McMichael and Next year LJ Smith.

TE's are all about the best guy who is drafted latest. If you overpay based on VBD, you get skunked in other spots.

Good offseason thread though, if you don't mind me saying.

a little suprised at the lack of love for Chris Cooley.

he is very good, and still developing.

a lot of good points posted on this thread.

Shockey moving up with the improvement of Manning.

McMichael with the addition of CPep, however i refuse to draft wife beaters.

Witten....if the Boys take a chance on Owens....and upgrade the OL in the draft?

Oh my....the only thing that hurts Witten is the loss of Campbell as the primary blocking TE.

some not so good posts.

anyone putting Vernon Davis in a top 5 is very premature.

1. Gates - i don't care who the QB is. If you don't have him #1 than you have not seen him play. he is good for short yardage, stretching the field, and redzone.

2. Shockey

3. McMichael

4. Cooley

5. Heap

6. Witten

7. Gonzalez it isn't a matter of not respecting him...it is just that i think the guys above him will out perform him.

8. Crumpler

9. Miller

10. Troupe

Really it is

Gates as a clear cut #1

Than a list of Crumpler, Heap, Shockey, Gonzo. McMicheal, Witten that are proven performers and make a sure #1 TE

Than there is the group of Davis, Troupe, Miller, Cooley, LJ Smith, Clark, Stevens, that are young and makie a good #1 in any league.

Than you got Watson, Winslow, A. Smith, Lewis, Pope, Byrd that are young and unproven and make an excellent backup TE with a future to be #1.

Other than this you might use Wiggins. Franks, E. Johnson, C. anderson, Putzier. might make adqueate #2 TE's

In a 12 team league there is lots to go around. 16 you might want to make sure you get a couple of nice ones. More than 16 and there will be some scarcity.

1 Tony Gonzalez

2 Antonio Gates

3 Jeremy Shockey

4 LJ Smith

5 Alge Crumpler

6 Randy McMichael

7 Todd Heap

8 Heath Miller

9 Jason Witten

10 Ben Troupe

Looking at the various lists I can definitely say that this year is the deepest that I've seen at the TE position. Gone are the days of the big 3. There are very good TE's like Troupe, Winslow that will probably be ranked in the 10-12 range and have the possibility of putting up top 5 stats. This is definitely the year to take the last TE off board.
:goodposting:

1 Tony Gonzalez

2 Antonio Gates

3 Jeremy Shockey

4 LJ Smith

5 Alge Crumpler

6 Randy McMichael

7 Todd Heap

8 Heath Miller

9 Jason Witten

10 Ben Troupe
How can you not have Cooley in the top 10? He finished 6th in yds. 2nd in TD and was at 10.9 ypc.

My two cents:

I don't think you can put Heap in any top 3. Yes, he may have the talent etc., but his injury risk is way too high and he needs more consistent QB play. I think you have to drop him down a few notches just for those reasons alone. He has no value at #2 or #3, only downside. If you can get him as the #5 or lower TE taken in your league, then maybe you've got something there.

Witten is way better than Cooley.  You're also forgetting about Kellen Winslow Jr.  He may be stupid, but he's still extremely talented.
:eek: Witten better than Cooley??? Kellen Winslow Jr.??? :rolleyes:
Witten is good..remember, Dallas' line broke down last year, he had to stay in and block quite a bit..that will change in 2006 , with a healthy line, healthy Julius Jones, and most importantly, T.O. if he signs..that will make Witten a great TE in 2006, somewhere around 80 catches...T.O.will free up Witten to work over the middle, as T.O. attracts double team coverage on nearly every play..

Randy McMichael will be a beast with Daunte "Midget Fingers" at the helm.

#1 no, but a good chance at top 3.
I hope that Randy is great with Pepper this year, however, it depends on how pepper is and how long he stays that way.

I have to say that Cooley and Witten will be pushing the top this year.

Cooley - With the recent upgrades at WR in terms of speed, plus a rb that demands respect based upon his second half of the season performance in 2005, Cooley may have a top tier year. There are too many options to cover.

Witten - If TO signs in Dallas, that offense is going to be ill. TO plus Glenn, both who require double coverage. Add in a healthy Crayton and you have four viable options. Despite how much TO will need the ball, this will only open things up for Witten. Oh and think how much this will open up the run for JJ.

As an Eagles fan, the recent signings and rumors of signings and lack of signings in philly are making me upset. :hot:

2006 Top 10 TE

1 Antonio Gates           

2 Todd Heap

3 Jeremy Shockey

4 Alge Crumpler

5 LJ Smith

6 Tony Gonzalez

7 Randy McMichael

8 Jason Witten

9 Chris Cooley

10 Ben Watson

1. A. Gates2. J. Shockey

3. R. Mc Michael

4. T. Heap

5. V. Davis

6. T. Gonzalez

7. A. Crumpler

8. Jason Witten

9. Ben Watson

10. L.J. Smith
2 years ago, everyone had Winslow in the top 5 and then again last year. Now Davis is the rave with some love still for Winslow. These have talent, there is no doubt, BUT, until they can prove it at the highest level, we don't know how good they really are.

I have to say that Cooley and Witten will be pushing the top this year.

Cooley - With the recent upgrades at WR in terms of speed, plus a rb that demands respect based upon his second half of the season performance in 2005, Cooley may have a top tier year. There are too many options to cover.

Witten - If TO signs in Dallas, that offense is going to be ill. TO plus Glenn, both who require double coverage. Add in a healthy Crayton and you have four viable options. Despite how much TO will need the ball, this will only open things up for Witten. Oh and think how much this will open up the run for JJ.

As an Eagles fan, the recent signings and rumors of signings and lack of signings in philly are making me upset. :hot:
If Owens was so great at stretching the field for RB (or even another WR), wouldn't the Eagles or 49ers have had a WR2 with good numbers or a RB with good rushing totals?2005: Westbrook was on pace for 900 rushing yards, no one even worth mentioning as a WR2

2004: Westbrook 800 rushing yards, Pinkston as a WR2 (meh)

2003: Barlow 1000 rushing yards, Streets as a WR2 (so-so)

2002: Hearst 975 running yards, Streets as a WR2 (so-so)

I'm not suggesting that Owens wouldn't help the offense, but I'm not so sure that his presence really HELPS other players as he could easily TAKE AWAY production from the other guys. Better stated, if Owens gets 1500/15, those yards and TDs will come at the expense (to a certain degree) of the rest of the offense. Just food for thought, as I have not started to project the production of the Cowboys yet . . .

My two cents:

I don't think you can put Heap in any top 3. Yes, he may have the talent etc., but his injury risk is way too high and he needs more consistent QB play. I think you have to drop him down a few notches just for those reasons alone. He has no value at #2 or #3, only downside. If you can get him as the #5 or lower TE taken in your league, then maybe you've got something there.
Year Pos. Rank Overall Rank------------------------------------2002 1 232003 3 452004 23 992005 3 24LinkHeap has been a top 3 TE in 3 of the last 4 years. How is his injury risk and QB situation that much more of a detriment to him now than it has been?

Users who are viewing this thread