What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Overall Player Rankings (1 Viewer)

Who is the #13 player to own in a dynasty league?

• RB Rudi Johnson, CIN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RB Edgerrin James, ARI

• WR Larry Fitzgerald, ARI

• WR Steve Smith, CAR

• WR Chad Johnson, CIN

• RB Tiki Barber, NYG

• RB Kevin Jones, DET

• RB Brian Westbrook, PHI

• WR Randy Moss, OAK

• WR Anquan Boldin, ARI

• WR Terrell Owens, DAL

• WR Torry Holt, STL

• TE Antonio Gates

• Other

• Total voters

snorlax

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.
As a continuation of the work OZ (and Tick) did in his positional dynasty polls, I am going to run a series of polls on overall player rankings in a dynasty league. This will allow us to see both how people's values of the players have changed in the last couple of months and how people value the players relative to each other across positions. I am going to attempt to get as many of these done before the NFL Draft as possible because player values will fluctuate wildly at that point, and I may just let OZ take over with a new series of position polls at that point. (I am also doing this before the Draft because some of us have fantasy drafts starting that day.) In order to make this most applicable to everyone, let's assume a standard lineup and scoring rules.

Standard fbg scoring rules:

1 pt per 10 yards rushing/receiving

6 pts per rushing/receiving TD

1 pt per 20 yards passing

4 pts per passing TD

-1 per INT

3 pts per FG

1 pt per XP

Lineup:

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR

1 TE

1 RB/WR/TE flex

1 K

1 D

I started this poll by including the top ten players in the staff rankings plus the consensus top rookie. I don't expect these polls to mirror the staff rankings, and there should be some interesting discussion as a result, but I will add the next players to the poll from the staff rankings if necessary. I would prefer to add players only after they have gotten a couple of other votes in the previous poll. Some of these players probably won't get any votes for now, but I'm not going to temporarily remove them as OZ did because I don't think the clutter among the poll choices will be an issue for now. Anyway, on to the rankings.

1. RB LaDainian Tomlinson, SD

2. RB Larry Johnson, KC

3. RB Shaun Alexander, SEA

4. RB Clinton Portis, WAS

5. RB Steven Jackson, STL

6. RB Ronnie Brown, MIA

7. (Runoff) RB Cadillac Williams, TB

8. RB Reggie Bush, NCAA

9. (Runoff) RB Lamont Jordan, OAK

10. RB Willis McGahee, BUF

11. (Tie) QB Peyton Manning, IND

(Runoff) RB DeAngelo Williams, NCAA

Who is the #13 player to have in a dynasty league? If you vote other please list the player. I added Torry Holt like I should have last time. If you think someone else should be added next round let me know.

I will probably put the next poll up this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with Fitz here. I believe he will be the next dominant WR, and will be for a long time. The big question mark is who will be throwing him the ball in the future. Yet, good WR's make average qb's look great (see virtually every qb who had a dominant WR in their prime). Add to this having Boldin as a book-end, and he will also see a ton of either zone or single coverage.

I also like Edge, but his situation is much worse than Fitz' as the Cards tend to play from behind, and that O-line does not currently run block well (= a major understatement).

Rudi is also a nice pick here, though I don't see him as a special rb, just in a good situation = the situation can always change, leaving you with a potentially average at best back.

I'd add Palmer, Brady and Eli to the list as all three should be considered in the upcoming picks.

I'd put Williams back in the poll. He got thrashed in the runoff with Manning. And it was close with several players.

I may just let OZ take over with a new series of position polls at that point.
Just as a FYI, I won't be redoing the massive run of polls like I did last time.If I do anything, it will be:

1. A series of polls, without commentary allowed.

2. Each poll will be "rate this player in a dynasty, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being UBER stud, 1 being scrub".

3. One master thread with links to all player polls.

4. The reason I won't have commentary on the polls is to allow them to slide off the first page, while keeping the master thread hopefully on page 1. All commentary would go to the master thread.

5. I will post 5 or so players, per position, per day. Again, this would flood the first page if we kept them on, and would be virtually impossible to do.

6. The main logic here is we can all rate Alexander, LJ and LT as 9.5, while the end result should show where the drop offs are.

7. The lineup and scoring will mimic Snorlax's.

Any questions? (I'll make this a thread in itself if need be)

I am extremely surprised that D. Williams is ranking this high in a dynasty draft. At least 50% of all RB are busts, and he is a shifty runner who does not excel in the passing game. He may be a great player, but he is an unknown. When drafting in the first round, you need guaranteed production. You don't win a league with your first few picks, you lose one. Manning is reasonable at this point, but he regressed last year to his career averages, and other quality QBs can be had MUCH later. I don't see how anyone can choose someone from this list besides Edge, and if not it has to be WEstbrook, Rudi, Jones, or Tiki.

I am extremely surprised that D. Williams is ranking this high in a dynasty draft. At least 50% of all RB are busts, and he is a shifty runner who does not excel in the passing game. He may be a great player, but he is an unknown. When drafting in the first round, you need guaranteed production. You don't win a league with your first few picks, you lose one. Manning is reasonable at this point, but he regressed last year to his career averages, and other quality QBs can be had MUCH later. I don't see how anyone can choose someone from this list besides Edge, and if not it has to be WEstbrook, Rudi, Jones, or Tiki.
Before even Kevin Jones, who has a lock on the starting job and has already had a 1000 yard season, is a bad move. KJ had an bad season last year like the rest of the Lions and now has Martz running the offense. I don't understand why you'd take that risk on DW when he hasn't played a down in the NFL yet and isn't the super athlete that Bush is.

The biggest problem I have with DeAngelo is that you don't even know where he is going.

It isn't impossible that he gets entrenched in a rbbc, or ends up on a team with a really bad line, or has to ride the bench behind some stud rb for a few years.

I may just let OZ take over with a new series of position polls at that point. 
Just as a FYI, I won't be redoing the massive run of polls like I did last time.If I do anything, it will be:

1. A series of polls, without commentary allowed.

2. Each poll will be "rate this player in a dynasty, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being UBER stud, 1 being scrub".

3. One master thread with links to all player polls.

4. The reason I won't have commentary on the polls is to allow them to slide off the first page, while keeping the master thread hopefully on page 1. All commentary would go to the master thread.

5. I will post 5 or so players, per position, per day. Again, this would flood the first page if we kept them on, and would be virtually impossible to do.

6. The main logic here is we can all rate Alexander, LJ and LT as 9.5, while the end result should show where the drop offs are.

7. The lineup and scoring will mimic Snorlax's.

Any questions? (I'll make this a thread in itself if need be)
Youll probably have to have the scale out of 100, not 10 just to further differentiate the GREAT players from the above average players. :2cents:

Can't say I'm shocked that Rudi isn't getting votes as some people are ridiculously high on Chris Perry.

I can see Perry being a star someday but I can't see him taking Rudi's job.

I went Johnson.

Would people actually trade Chad Johnson for DeAngelo Williams? I know WR is an easier position to fill, but that seems a bit absurd to me.

Would people actually trade Chad Johnson for DeAngelo Williams? I know WR is an easier position to fill, but that seems a bit absurd to me.
Most people grossly over-value RB's and undervalue the true stud tier 1 WR's, so it's not shocking.Year in year out tier 1 WR's are extremely rare and i personally value them as much as anyone outside of the top few RB's in dynasty leagues due to their longevity and reliability.

There are so few WR's you can plug in your lineup and know that you will either destroy your opponent at that spot or at minimum be even with them.

I like DeAngelo Williams a lot, but there is no way i'd take him over Chad.

Most people grossly over-value RB's and undervalue the true stud tier 1 WR's, so it's not shocking.Year in year out tier 1 WR's are extremely rare and i personally value them as much as anyone outside of the top few RB's in dynasty leagues due to their longevity and reliability.

There are so few WR's you can plug in your lineup and know that you will either destroy your opponent at that spot or at minimum be even with them.

I like DeAngelo Williams a lot, but there is no way i'd take him over Chad.
Agreed. My dynasty rankings differ drastically from what this list is producing.

Youll probably have to have the scale out of 100, not 10 just to further differentiate the GREAT players from the above average players. :2cents:
Makes sense. I suppose a scale of 100 with whole numbers is better than 9.5, 9.0, 8.5 etc.But, in a poll, I'll probably have only 10 options, right?

While I won't list 1 as an option for LT, I suppose going down by 2 makes sense... :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread