What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First Round Mock- comments welcome **Final Draft** (1 Viewer)

aposulli

Footballguy
This one involves a trade between the Saints and Jets. Saints get both Jets 1st Rounders, plus other late picks.

1. Houston Texans- DE Mario Williams

2. New York Jets- RB Reggie Bush

3. Tennessee Titans- QB Matt Leinart

4. New Orleans Saints- OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

5. Green Bay Packers- OLB A.J. Hawk

6. San Francisco 49ers- TE Vernon Davis

7. Oakland Raiders- QB Vince Young

8. Buffalo Bills- DT Brodrick Bunkley

9. Detroit Lions- DB Michael Huff

10. Arizona Cardinals- OT Winston Justice

11. St. Louis Rams- DB Jimmy Williams

12. Cleveland Browns- DT Haloti Ngata

13. Baltimore Ravens- DB Donte Whitner

14. Philadelphia Eagles- OLB Ernie Sims

15. Denver Broncos- WR Chad Jackson

16. Miami Dolphins- DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley

17. Minnesota Vikings- QB Jay Cutler

18. Dallas Cowboys- OLB Chad Greenway

19. San Diego Chargers- DB Antonio Cromartie

20. Kansas City Chiefs- DB Johnathan Joseph

21. New England Patriots- OLB Bobby Carpenter

22. San Francisco 49ers- DE/OLB Manny Lawson

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- WR Santonio Holmes

24. Cincinnati Bengals- DB Tye Hill

25. New York Giants- RB DeAngelo Williams

26. Chicago Bears- TE Mercedes Lewis

27. Carolina Panthers- C Nick Mangold

28. Jacksonville Jaguars- OLB DeMeco Ryans

29. New Orleans Saints- OLB Thomas Howard

30. Indianapolis Colts- RB Laurence Maroney

31. Seattle Seahawks- DB Jason Allen

32. Pittsburgh Steelers- RB Lendale White

FINAL DRAFT

Last edited by a moderator:
No trades in this one, though it seems like a distinct possiblity with teams such as NO, NYJ, OAK, MIN

1. Houston Texans- RB Reggie Bush

2. New Orleans Saints- DE Mario Williams

4. New York Jets- OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

13. Baltimore Ravens- DB Tye Hill

16. Miami Dolphins- DB Antonio Cromartie

18. Dallas Cowboys- DB Donte Whitner

19. San Diego Chargers- WR Santonio Holmes

22. San Francisco 49ers- DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- OLB Chad Greenway

24. Cincinnati Bengals- DE/OLB Manny Lawson

27. Carolina Panthers- OLB Thomas Howard

29. New York Jets- DT Gabriel Watson

30. Indianapolis Colts- RB Laurence Maroney

Biggest difference in this draft I'd say is Cutler falling to the Vikings. Cardinals have obvious needs on the OL, so the question is, have they decided that Navarre is a serviceable backup? I think the Warner deal shows they have faith in him for 2+ years. Ravens could bite, but I think they're looking for a veteran (McNair?)

My questions are..

Does this MIke Green trade affect who the Seahawks are going to pick? My guess is no, but Jason Allen would be further crowding things at DB.

If the Jets take Maroney instead (that was the toughest decision), then do the Colts take Addai?

Going early: Cromartie at 16, Thomas Howard at 27, Gabe Watson at 29

Going late: VY at 7, Greenway at 23, and Williams at 25

Biggest 2nd rounders are Hali, Youboty, Pope, and Moss
Can't see the Giants taking a RB in the first, and it would certainly be tempting to grab Williams at that spot, but I don't think he drops that far.

i haven't been able to follow the draft happenings of the last few weeks, but I have a few questions for you:

1) Do you really believe that four safeties will go in the first round?

2) Do you really believe Maroney is a better running back than White?

3) Do you really believe both the Cardinals AND Rams would pass on Cutler?

4) Do you really believe the Panthers would spend two consecutive first picks on one position (SLB)?

5) Do you really believe that the Raiders, who now have three young quarterbacks on their roster, would draft a fourth?

------

For me:

1) Maybe two.

2) Not a chance in hell any respectable NFL scout believes that.

3) I suppose it's possible, but I don't him getting by both. Both teams (to my knowledge) have shaky starters that love to create turnovers.

4) Maybe there is an offseason move I've missed while I've been away. If not, I think people just may be forgetting that Davis is slated to start at OLB this year.

5) I don't believe this at all. Aaron Brooks is still theoretically groomable. So is Tui, and definitely Walter is. Why groom a fourth? I understand that competition creates better players, but this is quite a liberal application.

Thanks for your answers.

Can't see the Giants taking a RB in the first, and it would certainly be tempting to grab Williams at that spot, but I don't think he drops that far.
I think Williams can go as early as 12 to Cleveland. Could go Broncos (then they'd need a WR in the 2nd). Won't go Minnnesota since they gave Taylor all that money. Won't go NE IMO because the bigger need is LB. Won't go San Francisco because that D needs a playmaker more than anything.

1) Do you really believe that four safeties will go in the first round?
I think Huff and Whitner definitly will. Jimmy Williams can play corner (I guess you were reffering to him). Allen is a 1st round talent, only question is his potential durability. So I'd say three for sure. Tye Hill can step in and play in a DB with McAllister, Rolle, Reed in Balty that would be downright scary.
2) Do you really believe Maroney is a better running back than White?
White's attitude is a definite red flag. I could see him going to the Jets, but not the Colts. They should go within a few picks of each other at the end of the round.
Well, maybe it's wishful thinking... (Viking fan)
4) Do you really believe the Panthers would spend two consecutive first picks on one position (SLB)?
That's true, I forgot Thomas Davis was probably moving into Witherspoon's spot.
5) Do you really believe that the Raiders, who now have three young quarterbacks on their roster, would draft a fourth?
Tui should be sent packing immediatly. I dont think there is any way Al Davis passes up Leinart or Young.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, noway San Diego drafts a Wide Reciver in the first rd, highly doubtful in the first day. It's just not going to happen.

From ESPN...St. Louis officials are more serious than some people suspect about perhaps using their first-round choice, the 11th selection overall, to take a quarterback, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports. The Rams have plenty of pressing needs, especially on defense, but definitely will be tempted if one of the "Big Three" quarterbacks is still on the board at their pick.

As strange is it seems, Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler could fall to No. 16 or No. 17 if he's bypassed by Arizona and Detroit (ninth and 10th picks), and that appears to be the likely scenario at this stage, according to ESPN.com's John Clayton.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, noway San Diego drafts a Wide Reciver in the first rd, highly doubtful in the first day. It's just not going to happen.
Recently I've been seeing a trend in teams with young high draft pick QBs to bring along (often a high round draft pick) WR with him....P.Manning- Harrison, Wayne

Leftwich- Reggie Williams, Matt Jones

McNabb- Pinkston (lol)

Simms- Clayton

Carr- Johnson

Harrington- Too many to count

Boller- Heap, Clayton

Losman- Evans

Anyway, McCardell is getting reeeeal old, and Eric Parker doesn't exactly strike anyone as a future #1 WR.

Just wondering, who do you think they pick (what position)?

Raiders may take Greenway over Young, I don't think Al Davis is in love with Young as much as everyone thinks. Greenway is moving up the charts every day. He goes no later then #11.

This has been said time and time again by people who actually have some knowledge of the Chargers' roster. I discount every mock I see that has the Chargers selecting a WR in the first. People think looking at what everyone else is picking for them constitutes doing some research.

This has been said time and time again by people who actually have some knowledge of the Chargers' roster. I discount every mock I see that has the Chargers selecting a WR in the first. People think looking at what everyone else is picking for them constitutes doing some research.
Lol... well... my "research" was not only that. (Check out my response to that original comment)I've yet to hear any other suggestions besides Manny Lawson

So I'll ask you since the last guy didn't respond... Who do you think they'd take, assuming the picks before SD are correct?

Edit: I see you believe that their DB needs alot of help...

Joseph? Can't they get a DB in the 2nd Round?

So I'll ask you since the last guy didn't respond... Who do you think they'd take, assuming the picks before SD are correct?

Edit: I see you believe that their DB needs alot of help...

Joseph? Can't they get a DB in the 2nd Round?
This current thread might answer that.

Recently I've been seeing a trend in teams with young high draft pick QBs to bring along (often a high round draft pick) WR with him....P.Manning- Harrison, Wayne

Leftwich- Reggie Williams, Matt Jones

McNabb- Pinkston (lol)

Simms- Clayton

Carr- Johnson

Harrington- Too many to count

Boller- Heap, Clayton

Losman- Evans

Anyway, McCardell is getting reeeeal old, and Eric Parker doesn't exactly strike anyone as a future #1 WR.

Just wondering, who do you think they pick (what position)?
aposulli I'm not picking on you, just want to let you know that. It's just several mocks have a WR going to the Bolts and it simply isn't going to happen. It's going to be likely a Corner, possibly a reach for O-Lineman, or an outstide shot at ILB if one excellent guy slips. The fact the team only has 2 corners leads me to believe it will be corner in RD1.

Raiders may take Greenway over Young, I don't think Al Davis is in love with Young as much as everyone thinks. Greenway is moving up the charts every day. He goes no later then #11.
that pretty high expectations for a player that is going in the middle to late round on a lot of mocks.

Welcome to January!

good mock aposulli :thumbup:

29. New York Jets- DT Gabriel Watson
:thumbdown: the one pick that made me cringe was gabe watson going in the 1st round. of course teams reach from time to time (especially at DT) but watson's play was so inconsistent at michigan and he rarely played on the field like his measurables suggested he was capable of. now maybe some coaching staff bbelieves that they can coach him up and take the chance, but respected draft guys like mel kiper, etc have sted that he's a mid-second guy even with a team reaching

when i read that he already had the pimped out SUV i was amused. when i read that he showed up for his pro day with the speakers bumping while driving around the parking lot i became concerned. when i read that he did all of this in front of many, many team scouts shaking their collective heads...i took him out of any 1st round consideration and don't expect him to even go in the top half of the 2nd

his motor was already a question mark when he finished his playing days as a wolverine...and he has only hurt his cause in the eyes of scouts since then

Last edited:
No trades in this one, though it seems like a distinct possiblity with teams such as NO, NYJ, OAK, MIN

1. Houston Texans- RB Reggie Bush

2. New Orleans Saints- DE Mario Williams

4. New York Jets- OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

13. Baltimore Ravens- DB Donte Whitner

16. Miami Dolphins- DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley

18. Dallas Cowboys- OLB Chad Greenway

19. San Diego Chargers- DB Antonio Cromartie

22. San Francisco 49ers- DE/OLB Manny Lawson

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- WR Santonio Holmes 

24. Cincinnati Bengals- DB Tye Hill

27. Carolina Panthers- C Nick Mangold

29. New York Jets- RB Laurence Maroney

30. Indianapolis Colts- RB Joseph Addai

Edit: Switched around some mid-round picks, Dropped McNeill and Watson in favor of Mangold and Addai
Looks alot like my draft...I had Culter dropping to the Vikes, but now I think they will have to move up to get him. Agreed that whoever is not drafted by the Titans will be the QB to fall to the Raiders.You moved Mangold up but I think he still goes in the second round. I still think that Thomas Howard, OLB/S will make it into the first round. Carolina might be the team.

I think I agree that Williams is not needed by the Giants, and won't be there anyway with the Pats taking him! lol...strong Draft for LB, but a guy like Williams does not drop in a draft like this too often.

You moved Mangold up but I think he still goes in the second round. I still think that Thomas Howard, OLB/S will make it into the first round. Carolina might be the team.

I think I agree that Williams is not needed by the Giants, and won't be there anyway with the Pats taking him! lol...strong Draft for LB, but a guy like Williams does not drop in a draft like this too often.
Funny, Howard was my original pick for them, but I forgot that they're probably going to try Thomas Davis at OLB.Yes, the Williams pick might be the biggest oddball pick. Everyone says that he won't fall that far (even more reason for the Giants to take him!)... But hey, you never know what BB's gonna do... tell me you'd be surprised if he passed on Williams.

Only a little bit of shuffling with the news of Mario to the Texans.

My guess is that the Jets sneak up to #2 because they have the picks to move up.

Users who are viewing this thread