What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

in 1992 how did the Colts (1 Viewer)

They got the #1 pick for going 1-15.

They got the #2 pick by trading Chris Chandler to Tampa Bay in 1990 for the Bucs' 1992 first round pick which turned out to be #2 overall. Ouch (for Tampa).

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine if they'd drafted Gilbert and Buckley...

You know, that class, first round anyway, looks horrible.McGlockton and Dale Carter were alright, Troy Vincent good,

Maybe I'm missing someone, but overall if I had the top 2 picks in a draft, that's one draft I wouldn't want them.

You know, that class, first round anyway, looks horrible.McGlockton and Dale Carter were alright, Troy Vincent good,

Maybe I'm missing someone, but overall if I had the top 2 picks in a draft, that's one draft I wouldn't want them.
I just looked through the whole draft.. that was horrible. :X

I just looked through the whole draft.. that was horrible. :X
Well, at least Rod Smith was in it. ;)

In hindsight Troy Vincent and either Robert Porcher or Jimmy Smith should have gone 1, 2.
In hindsight the Colts should have traded the picks for first rounders in the next draft.

Who were they? I'm too lazy to look it up. I think they were Entman and Coryett?
All off the top of my head, so dont kill me if im wrongSteve Etman, DT, U of Miami- Had injury problems, played briefly for the Dolphins before his career ended

Quentin Coryatt, LB, Texas A&M- I have no clue what happened to him. I presume injury, because he disappeared quickly.

I had forgotten about that draft......hmmm...interesting what would happen if a team had the first two picks this year.....or next.....

Who were they? I'm too lazy to look it up. I think they were Entman and Coryett?
All off the top of my head, so dont kill me if im wrongSteve Etman, DT, U of Miami- Had injury problems, played briefly for the Dolphins before his career ended

Quentin Coryatt, LB, Texas A&M- I have no clue what happened to him. I presume injury, because he disappeared quickly.
Those were the picks, except Entman played for the University of Washington Huskies. That Huskie team broke the U of M consecutive Orange Bowl win streak at around 58 games.

I had forgotten about that draft......hmmm...interesting what would happen if a team had the first two picks this year.....or next.....
Depending on the team, theyd trade down.Not a whole lot of teams have oweners who want to spend $50+ mil in liquid capital in a 2 month period.

Those were the picks, except Entman played for the University of Washington Huskies. That Huskie team broke the U of M consecutive Orange Bowl win streak at around 58 games.
Thanks, that didnt feel right when I typed it.Any idea what happened to Coryatt?

Coryatt was most known for dropping a sure INT that would have sealed the AFC Championship game in 1996 (1995 Colts - 1996 was the year the game was played).

if it were the Bills, I think they would take Mario Williams and D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

I think that happened in '94, Sapp's last year. (I could be wrong though)

Depending on the team, theyd trade down.Not a whole lot of teams have oweners who want to spend $50+ mil in liquid capital in a 2 month period.
Yeah I know.....but still...it would be pretty cool to hear Kiper talking about a team picking up Bush and D'Brickshaw.....

Link FWIW: but it's ugly believe me.....worst draft EVER w/o a doubt.

http://www.drafthistory.com/years/1992.html

Re. Colts' first 2 picks, Emtmann was very good and would've possibly been a great one if not for tearing his knees up (fn astoturf). Coryatt had no such excuse and just kinda sucked before working his way up to half-decent in the twilight of his career.

Link FWIW: but it's ugly believe me.....worst draft EVER w/o a doubt.

http://www.drafthistory.com/years/1992.html

Re. Colts' first 2 picks, Emtmann was very good and would've possibly been a great one if not for tearing his knees up (fn astoturf). Coryatt had no such excuse and just kinda sucked before working his way up to half-decent in the twilight of his career.
What's funny is that there were more successful players in the first 10 picks of the second round than there were in all of the first round. :eek:

Are these the worst #1 QB, RB and WR taken in a draft? :X :

4 4 Desmond Howard Redskins WR Michigan

6 6 David Klingler Bengals QB Houston

9 9 Tommy Vardell Browns RB Stanford

1990 came close:

1 1 Jeff George Colts QB Illinois

2 2 Blair Thomas Jets RB Penn State

2 1 26 Alexander Wright Cowboys WR Auburn

1.14 Derek Brown, Giants, TE, Notre Dame

3.13 Aaron Pierce, Giants, TE, Washington

Those were some smart picks...

Does anyone else remember that hit Coryatt had...a definite highlight staple that got a lot of play when it happened.

Does anyone else remember that hit Coryatt had...a definite highlight staple that got a lot of play when it happened.
This one?http://www.metacafe.com/watch/26963/amazing_football_tackle/

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=1939
Score!! Thanks for posting this. Reminds me of the good ole days. I was so excited to get this guy... Bought a 55 Coryatt jersey and had a "Quentin Coryatt Ave" street sign in my room. Had a couple of great hits as a Colt, but I do most remember him for that bungled interception.

Score!! Thanks for posting this. Reminds me of the good ole days. I was so excited to get this guy... Bought a 55 Coryatt jersey and had a "Quentin Coryatt Ave" street sign in my room. Had a couple of great hits as a Colt, but I do most remember him for that bungled interception.
[lowblow]kinda like vince and the rose bowl[/lowblow]just trying to save titans fans some money on those jerseys.

Are these the worst #1 QB, RB and WR taken in a draft? :X :

4 4 Desmond Howard Redskins WR Michigan

6 6 David Klingler Bengals QB Houston

9 9 Tommy Vardell Browns RB Stanford

1990 came close:

1 1 Jeff George Colts QB Illinois

2 2 Blair Thomas Jets RB Penn State

2 1 26 Alexander Wright Cowboys WR Auburn
At least Des has a SB ring and MVP!

Ironically, Mr Irrelevant of this draft, Matt Elliott, had a 7 yr NFL career. Not bad for last pick in 12th round.

Best wishes to him as his son fights leukemia.

Matt Elliott

Remarkably, I'd never seen that hit until now, but I was aware of it because a GB of my went to TAMU at that time and talked about it. It's actually not all that impressive. Coryatt's moving to the ball and hits a receiver blind whose going for the ball. Coryatt barely put any effort into it aside from slightly lowering his shoulder. I guess I was expecting too much. :shrug:

think Emtman was Washington.

Emtman was probably one of the top 3 most dominant defensive players I've ever seen in college football.

Him going #1 was justified IMO. It's really a shame about the injuries. I still remember him picking off Marino and bringing it to the house pretty much the length of the field.

Packers did well in this draftEdgar, Robert Brooks, Mark Chmura, Ty Detmer. not too shabby.
They really missed the boat in RD 1 with T-Buck and could have drafted Vincent to start that great draft.Edgar was a perfect pick as he was considered a tweener coming out of college and filled the need of a mudder on those 90 Packer teams.

Emtman and Coryatt were named as 2 of the biggest busts of the modern era by Sports Illustrated:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedi.../content.8.html

Keep in mind that this comes 2 years after the Colts traded 2 Pro Bowlers and a 1st round pick to take Jeff George 1st overall. Then, in 1994 Indy chose Trev Alberts with the #5 overall pick, only to watch his career ended by injury within a couple of seasons. Colts fans paid their dues before Bill Polian came to town. A good GM/President can change everything. Keep the faith Lions fans.

Packers did well in this draftEdgar, Robert Brooks, Mark Chmura, Ty Detmer. not too shabby.
They really missed the boat in RD 1 with T-Buck and could have drafted Vincent to start that great draft.Edgar was a perfect pick as he was considered a tweener coming out of college and filled the need of a mudder on those 90 Packer teams.
And don't forget that Vincent was a Wisconson Badger made it much worse causs he was a home state player in Madison

That situation is pretty amazing all the way around.

Here the Colts wind up with the TOP 2 PICKS in the NFL draft. Both of them bust. They also had taken Jeff George first overall in 1990 and he was a bust and off the team quickly. And yet the Colts play in the AFC title game 4 years later in 1995.

Are these the worst #1 QB, RB and WR taken in a draft? ;) :4 4 Desmond Howard Redskins WR Michigan6 6 David Klingler Bengals QB Houston9 9 Tommy Vardell Browns RB Stanford1990 came close: 1 1 Jeff George Colts QB Illinois 2 2 Blair Thomas Jets RB Penn State2 1 26 Alexander Wright Cowboys WR Auburn
I remember Touchdown Tommy Vardell. The Browns had a tradition of big bruising RBs. Jim Brown was one. Marion Motley was a hulk. Kevin Mack was another guy that would just move the pile at will at times. Vardell was seen in this mold. He was the heir-apparent. But it never happened.Jerome Bettis would be the kind of back that would represent the Browns running philosophy. The irony is that to younger NFL fans, they know nothing about Brown / Motley / Mack and probably associate power running with the Steelers and Bettis.

That situation is pretty amazing all the way around.

Here the Colts wind up with the TOP 2 PICKS in the NFL draft. Both of them bust. They also had taken Jeff George first overall in 1990 and he was a bust and off the team quickly. And yet the Colts play in the AFC title game 4 years later in 1995.
Things can get turned around quick in the NFL, as long as you're not the Lions. Also, the Colts are now considered one of the best drafting teams in the NFL. Due to This guy

Users who are viewing this thread