What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Garrard and Leftwich (1 Viewer)

citydawg

Footballguy
I thought that Garrard played pretty well after Lefty got hurt last season. Does anyone have any info on his status for this season. Is it back to the bench? Does he compete for the job? Is he close to being a FA? Any info is appreciated!

1. He's headed back to the bench.

2. He won't compete for the job.

3. I think he's an FA after this coming season. He was supposed to be a FA last offseason, but strangely signed another contract. It surprised a lot of people.

Am I in the minority thinking that Garrard is a better QB?  More mobile with a better arm?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you're in the minority, but it's a pretty big minority. I think I've heard that a lot of Jags fan prefer Garrard. However, the team doesn't seem to consider the option of Garrard passing Leftwich.

Prior to getting injured last year, Byron Leftwich was on his way to having a really good season. Through 10 games, he passed for a three to one TD to interception ratio (15-5). He has improved each year he's been at the helm. I expect real good numbers from him this year.

On the downside, his lack of mobility leads to hard hits. The Jags O-line must do a much better job of protecting him this year or the rather large pro-Garrard contingent will once again get their wishes.

Prior to getting injured last year, Byron Leftwich was on his way to having a really good season.  Through 10 games, he passed for a three to one TD to interception ratio (15-5).  He has improved each year he's been at the helm.  I expect real good numbers from him this year. 

On the downside, his lack of mobility leads to hard hits.  The Jags O-line must do a much better job of protecting him this year or the rather large pro-Garrard contingent will once again get their wishes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with this - Leftwich is basically a black Bledsoe. Great at throwing the ball, but needs good protection.

He was ridiculously bad during the Pats playoff game last year. It was comical to watch him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who was? Leftwich or Garrard?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leftwich. Well both, but by the time Garrard came in the game was over anyways. The crowd was laughing at how piss poor he was.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was his first game back a month after breaking his ankle so cut the guy some slack.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then he shouldn't have been in the game. The Jags offense did absolutely nothing the entire day. It was embarassing to watch.

He was ridiculously bad during the Pats playoff game last year. It was comical to watch him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leftwich. Well both, but by the time Garrard came in the game was over anyways. The crowd was laughing at how piss poor he was.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was his first game back a month after breaking his ankle so cut the guy some slack.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then he shouldn't have been in the game. The Jags offense did absolutely nothing the entire day. It was embarassing to watch.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gee, let me guess.......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gee, let me guess.......
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guess what?

Prior to getting injured last year, Byron Leftwich was on his way to having a really good season.  Through 10 games, he passed for a three to one TD to interception ratio (15-5).  He has improved each year he's been at the helm.  I expect real good numbers from him this year. 

On the downside, his lack of mobility leads to hard hits.  The Jags O-line must do a much better job of protecting him this year or the rather large pro-Garrard contingent will once again get their wishes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know that I'd call it a large pro-Garrard group, but a very vocal pro Garrard group. In a recent local poll, 90% of Jags fans said they prefer Leftwich starting instead of Garrard. It's just that the 10% is very vocal.I really don't see what the issue is. If Big Ben and Calson Palmer weren't having amazing starts to their careers, everyone would be talking about how amazing Byron's first few years have been. Besides Ben and Carson, what QB drafted in the last 5 years have been better than Leftwich? Looking at the modern NFL era his first few years have been almost as good as anyones. He's improved every year. He was on pace to set a Jaguars single season TD record before the injury. He's tough as nails and already has lead many fourth quarter come from behind victories. The kid's playing very well and getting better.

I don't want to rag on Garrard because I think he's a very good back up QB, but he's never won a game against a winning team. Also, he's been on the trading block for over 2 years now and there hasn't been much interest at all. He signed that contract because he didn't feel that there would be as big a market for his services as some seem to think there would be. You think Schaub is going to resign again with Atlanta for back up money? I doubt it, but there is a market for him.

The Jags were a very bad football team when Leftwich got there. They've gone form 4-12 to 12-4 under him. And that's with no offensive pro bowlers and a receiving corp that's led the NFL in drops the last two seasons by some accounts. He was a top 10 rated QB with a 3:1 TD:INT ratio against some pretty good teams. What other players on the Jags offense would you rate top 10 at their position? He's their best offensive player. It continues to baffle me why some people want to bring in Garrard, because he's mobile. How many mobile QBs were in the play offs last season?

Anyways, like all NFL QBs he'll have to continue to prove himself. That's the nature of the job. Too much credit when it's good and too much blame when it's bad. I just thought 12-4 and the first first play off game since the 1999 season might be good.

Wasn't Leftwich 11/14 in the first half? Weren't there several drops, including at least 2 that would have been for first downs when the Jags were driving? Jimmy dropped one that was perfect. Both OTs were hurt, Khalif Barnes was playing on a broken leg. The Pats were living in the Jags pocket all night. Fumbles speak for themselves. Poor tackling, Peterson had a broken wrist and Mathis had a broken finger. The running game was going nowhere. Leftwich did all that, huh?

The Jags played well the first half and horrible the second half as a team. To even dream that the Jags lost that game because Leftwich played poorly shows almost no understanding of the game of football.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know that I'd call it a large pro-Garrard group, but a very vocal pro Garrard group. In a recent local poll, 90% of Jags fans said they prefer Leftwich starting instead of Garrard. It's just that the 10% is very vocal.I really don't see what the issue is. If Big Ben and Calson Palmer weren't having amazing starts to their careers, everyone would be talking about how amazing Byron's first few years have been. Besides Ben and Carson, what QB drafted in the last 5 years have been better than Leftwich? Looking at the modern NFL era his first few years have been almost as good as anyones. He's improved every year. He was on pace to set a Jaguars single season TD record before the injury. He's tough as nails and already has lead many fourth quarter come from behind victories. The kid's playing very well and getting better.

I don't want to rag on Garrard because I think he's a very good back up QB, but he's never won a game against a winning team. Also, he's been on the trading block for over 2 years now and there hasn't been much interest at all. He signed that contract because he didn't feel that there would be as big a market for his services as some seem to think there would be. You think Schaub is going to resign again with Atlanta for back up money? I doubt it, but there is a market for him.

The Jags were a very bad football team when Leftwich got there. They've gone form 4-12 to 12-4 under him. And that's with no offensive pro bowlers and a receiving corp that's led the NFL in drops the last two seasons by some accounts. He was a top 10 rated QB with a 3:1 TD:INT ratio against some pretty good teams. What other players on the Jags offense would you rate top 10 at their position? He's their best offensive player. It continues to baffle me why some people want to bring in Garrard, because he's mobile. How many mobile QBs were in the play offs last season?

Anyways, like all NFL QBs he'll have to continue to prove himself. That's the nature of the job. Too much credit when it's good and too much blame when it's bad. I just thought 12-4 and the first first play off game since the 1999 season might be good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with all points Wadsworth.I think Byron is the goods and I am just tired of hearing how he isn't the right QB for the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't Leftwich 11/14 in the first half? Weren't there several drops, including at least 2 that would have been for first downs when the Jags were driving? Jimmy dropped one that was perfect. Both OTs were hurt, Khalif Barnes was playing on a broken leg. The Pats were living in the Jags pocket all night. Fumbles speak for themselves. Poor tackling, Peterson had a broken wrist and Mathis had a broken finger. The running game was going nowhere. Leftwich did all that, huh?

The Jags played well the first half and horrible the second half as a team. To even dream that the Jags lost that game because Leftwich played poorly shows almost no understanding of the game of football.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:goodposting: Not being a fan of either team I don't have that game committed to memory. However, I do remember thinking that I needed to bump Leftwich up my charts after the game. I thought he was poised and tough and that without a few bad breaks and drops he had a fantastic game. Especially considering that it was his first playoff game. I think he is severely underrated and that his young receiving core (sans J. Smith) is only going to get better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:goodposting: Not being a fan of either team I don't have that game committed to memory. However, I do remember thinking that I needed to bump Leftwich up my charts after the game. I thought he was poised and tough and that without a few bad breaks and drops he had a fantastic game. Especially considering that it was his first playoff game. I think he is severely underrated and that his young receiving core (sans J. Smith) is only going to get better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leftwich slid in both HyperActive dynasty drafts - 10.07 (20th QB) and 11.02 (22nd QB). After guys like Bledsoe, Brooks, Plummer, Schaub and the rookie QB's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leftwich slid in both HyperActive dynasty drafts - 10.07 (20th QB) and 11.02 (22nd QB). After guys like Bledsoe, Brooks, Plummer, Schaub and the rookie QB's.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the value there for Leftwich. I should. He is my starter drafted in 11th. I think he holds great value in dynasty drafts.

I agree with this - Leftwich is basically a black Bledsoe. Great at throwing the ball, but needs good protection.
I know I'm a little late to the party reading this, but what does Leftwich being black have to do with this comparison?Wouldn't "he's an immobile QB similar to Bledsoe" or "a younger version of Bledsoe" do?

Just asking is all.

Bustwich is a bum. He can't see the whole field. He's just a king sized Gary Coleman look-a-like.

Letfwich was having a remarkable 3rd year as a pro...anybody who says otherwise a) wasn't watching him play or b) has unrealistic expectations.

Favre's first three years:

Code:
+---------------------------------------+-----------------+                 |              Passing                  |     Rushing     |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+| Year  TM |   G |  Comp   Att   PCT    YD   Y/A  TD INT |  Att  Yards  TD |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+| 1991 atl |   2 |     0     5   0.0     0   0.0   0   2 |     0     0   0 || 1992 gnb |  15 |   302   471  64.1  3227   6.9  18  13 |    47   198   1 || 1993 gnb |  16 |   318   522  60.9  3303   6.3  19  24 |    58   216   1 |

Prior to getting injured last year, Byron Leftwich was on his way to having a really good season. Through 10 games, he passed for a three to one TD to interception ratio (15-5). He has improved each year he's been at the helm. I expect real good numbers from him this year.

On the downside, his lack of mobility leads to hard hits. The Jags O-line must do a much better job of protecting him this year or the rather large pro-Garrard contingent will once again get their wishes.
I know I'm a little late to the party reading this, but what does Leftwich being black have to do with this comparison?Wouldn't "he's an immobile QB similar to Bledsoe" or "a younger version of Bledsoe" do?

Just asking is all.
Point taken, however I meant it as him being a clone of Bledsoe with their only difference being their race. Not meant as a slight since Bledsoe is my favorite QB. I guess I don't have a problem mentioning race since it's not a big deal to me. I'd say the same thing about a white guy who was built and played like Vick, although I can see your point about race not being relevant.

Just asking is all.
Point taken, however I meant it as him being a clone of Bledsoe with their only difference being their race. Not meant as a slight since Bledsoe is my favorite QB. I guess I don't have a problem mentioning race since it's not a big deal to me. I'd say the same thing about a white guy who was built and played like Vick, although I can see your point about race not being relevant.
It's not a big deal, except that sometimes there is a tendency for some people to think that if he is a black quarterback he must be very athletic and very mobile. Leftwich just happens not to be; but appears to be a very good passer.

Favre's first three years:

Code:
+---------------------------------------+-----------------+                 |              Passing                  |     Rushing     |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+| Year  TM |   G |  Comp   Att   PCT    YD   Y/A  TD INT |  Att  Yards  TD |+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+| 1991 atl |   2 |     0     5   0.0     0   0.0   0   2 |     0     0   0 || 1992 gnb |  15 |   302   471  64.1  3227   6.9  18  13 |    47   198   1 || 1993 gnb |  16 |   318   522  60.9  3303   6.3  19  24 |    58   216   1 |
:goodposting: Very interesting argument you bring up with Leftwich, I think Im going to have to give him a closer look :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread