What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How soon do YOU draft TOP IDP players.. (1 Viewer)

bigreese82

Footballguy
I know we'll get some answers about depending on scoring and lineup requirements... start 4LBs, 4DBS, and 3 DL

What strategies have you seen and what works for you?

VBD looks like you could start drafting them in round 4 (pick 40 or so)..Is that too early?

(p.s normal roster starting requirements for other positions..1qb,2rb,3wr,1te)

1st time IDP dynasty drafter...I understand VBD

- scoring is 3 pts for Ints and sacks, 1.5 for tackles and .75 for assisted tackles

Really depends on the IDP talent alone and your roster needs. I would say as a rule of thumb, top tier IDPers should probably be considered after the 1st and 2nd tier of QBs, RBs, WRs, and TEs (1st tier only) are off the board.

The offense guys have a luxury of knowing what spot they are going to most likely play at (QB plays QB). The IDP is usually pretty vaugue on what they will do on the field and for the most part, their playing time is dictated by their teamates' injuries and staff.

Thomas Davis was a much sought IDP player last year and was pretty much a 1st round pick in most leagues. However, his value right now did not warrent the high pick since Carolina's scheme is now pushing him to be a WLB. His was drafted to be a stud SS in mind.

Roy Williams (Dallas) is a solid player, but injuries and talent on Dallas D for a couple of years limited him to play FS for a while which limited his true fantasy impact (is really a SS).

The list goes on to include DJ Williams as well.

Really depends on the IDP talent alone and your roster needs. I would say as a rule of thumb, top tier IDPers should probably be considered after the 1st and 2nd tier of QBs, RBs, WRs, and TEs (1st tier only) are off the board.

The offense guys have a luxury of knowing what spot they are going to most likely play at (QB plays QB). The IDP is usually pretty vaugue on what they will do on the field and for the most part, their playing time is dictated by their teamates' injuries and staff.

Thomas Davis was a much sought IDP player last year and was pretty much a 1st round pick in most leagues. However, his value right now did not warrent the high pick since Carolina's scheme is now pushing him to be a WLB. His was drafted to be a stud SS in mind.

Roy Williams (Dallas) is a solid player, but injuries and talent on Dallas D for a couple of years limited him to play FS for a while which limited his true fantasy impact (is really a SS).

The list goes on to include DJ Williams as well.
Thanks...wanted a strong LB corps and wanted to get 2-3 of the top 20 LBS but didn't want to overpay. I would hate to be one of the first drafters of IDPs trying to get a strong IDP lineup and have my other positions' depth suffer while a more experienced IDP guy waits and puts up a comporable IDP lineup

If you're drafting for the first time in dynasty, I would get as many solid offense guys as I could that are stud talent, solid talent, or strong potential upside in the future.

I would not pay attention on the player's age. Focus on a timeframe laround 2-3 years. A guy like Tiki is a stud right now, but would probably fall in the 2nd round due to his age.

Addressing defensive needs are easier through waivers and reading this site. Though don't let solid guys like a Urlacher or Barnett slip too far if the value begs itself to be picked.

it can vary according to starter requirements (yours sounds similar to ones i play in), scoring, & another big one is number of teams...

i personally like to go offense for the first eight rounds or so (there are exceptions, like if julius peppers or jonathan vilma drops to round eight, but that won't likely happen... it is good to know the rules before breaking them)...

especially since most leagues makes offense more valuable, & it gets progressively harder to find skill position talent in middle & end of draft, i like to come out with starting offense... 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR plus a couple key reserves (usually QB & RB... i should put starting TE in here, too)...

i would then turn my attention to LB & probably get two best left back to back... can't guarantee you will get two top 20 LBs this way... if very savvy group, maybe not, usually you could, though... or if LBs score very high in that system, prioritize them earlier... but it might be at expense of key QB & RB depth...

at some point i might start interspersing skill position picks for depth with IDPs... probably not QB3 early, but maybe RB4 or WR4 depending on value... i like to get at least one anchor DE & S pretty soon after this, too (i find elite DEs seem to go first, but it varies)... its hard to have no holes anywhere in these kind of drafts, especially initially... you can fill holes in future with trades, FA & later drafts... you also need to get couple more LBs, & since LBs are like RB of defense, don't wait too long to get depth there... you'll need a LB5 & LB6, with injuries, byes, unexpected underperformance, guys lose jobs, etc...

i think early, especially with IDPs but even offense (first 5-6 rounds) i pay a LOT of attention to age... & it is generally very possible to get guys that are good AND young... you might be less likely to win year one without tiki barber, but the guys who got priest a year ago are bummin hard now... it is a tightrope... get TOO risky & speculative a RB, & they could be out of a jon in year or two (JJ?)...

for example, few years ago, we had choice between good older guy (keyshawn ) & not so good younger guy (travis taylor)... luckily we opted for keyshawn & he had more trade value the next year... at a certain point, better to have sure thing older dude than flavor of the month young guy who is pretty sketchy... i have seen people wreck team by getting TOO much youth (& perpetually trading for picks than burning picks on speculative players that didn't pan out)... converse true, also, of course... win now mentality can blow up in your face if you don't win anyway & are left holding the bag with bunch of decrepit geezers! :)

strive for a nice mix of vet production with emphasis on talented AND young players early... i loosen up on age criteria later & for less important positions like CB & DT...

it helps to know positional variances for age-related decline... more important to get younger RB than QB & WR...

another factor is older guys help win now but may have rapidly eroding value in future for trades... get right young skill position player & they are worth a lot more in few years...

another reason to go offense early is general knowledge pool probably more evenly distributed... if you know defense, you are more likely to capitalize by getting starters & sleepers in mid-late rounds...

i wait on CB & DT, but i try & not wait TOO long if opportunity presents itself... antoine winfield or kevin williams in round 30...

you can usually get those types off WW, (relatively) cheap in trades, late in future drafts... sometimes even S & some DEs... LB much harder, so important to prioritize (same with skill position, though even there, easier to get blue chip QBs & TEs in drafts generally than WR, & especially RB)... you can get great LBs in draft in future, but that might require low first, or second/third rounders generally, which sometimes makes sense, but those picks are sometimes good to keep on second-third tier RBs & WRs...

* tough thing about generic inquiries is it is hard to address when crazy value at LB presents itself in round 7 & i said don't get a LB until 9th... amore systematic & rigorous way to go about it would be to look at several scenarios... lets say you get vilma round 6-7 instead of RB or WR... than you get skill position player few rounds later... just plug in scoring system & figure where you would incur worse dropoff?

i would still factor in that it might be easier to get stud LB like hawk or sims late first, early second round in future drafts... skill position players more hit & miss at that point, generally... which MIGHT drive your initial draft decisions about how to best allocate pick resources positionally...

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a look at the links in my sig for a frame of reference for IDP dynasty startup drafts. Zealots starts 2 DL, 3 LB, and 3 DB pretty much.

Personally, I wouldn't consider them until the 8th round, and I'd probably make it to the 12th round with only one or two IDPs on my roster.

Users who are viewing this thread