What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

KRob Enters Rehab (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiner Dog

Footballguy
Rotoworld is reporting that PFT has a piece about Robinson being back in rehab for alcohol abuse.

link:

http://fantasyfootball.rotoworld.com/conte...s.asp?sport=NFL

Profootballtalk.com has confirmed that Koren Robinson is back in alcohol rehab.

Robinson's agent confirms the news, but emphasized that his client's stay was voluntary and not because of any violation of the league's substance abuse policy. He's been in rehab since late June. It's unclear what effect this may have on his playing status, if at all, but Minnesota's recent three-year contract protected them from off-field behavior. Jul. 6 - 5:14 pm et

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad if true. I mean he got a second chance and couldn't stay off the sauce. Then again, this was the same guy that got a DUI less than 2 weeks after finishing rehab and was sentenced to a night in jail where he was re-arrested because he showed up to the jail so blind drunk it was extremely obvious he planned on sleeping off a drunken stupor in jail. This guy is an idiot if it's true....

If true, this guy is really battling some demons. He's only months removed from both a Pro-Bowl selection and new contract by the Vikes.

link:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

ROBINSON BACK IN REHAB

Vikings receiver Koren Robinson is back in alcohol rehab, according to his agent, Alvin Keels. Keels tells Profootballtalk.com that Robinson re-entered treatment in late June. Robinson is scheduled to be married on July 22.

Keels stressed that Robinson's decision to resume treatment was voluntary and not the result of any violation of the league's substance abuse policy or specific recurrence of the problems that plagued his career with the Seattle Seahawks. Keels said that Robinson can leave the program at any time.

Keels' comments were made in response to information we received from a league source indicating that Robinson was indeed back in rehab. (Operating uncharacteristically like "real" journalists, we called Keels for confirmation -- and got it.)

In 2005, Robinson spent 30 days in a South Carolina treatment center after being cut by the Seahawks. He eventually signed with the Vikings, and made the Pro Bowl as a kick returner. The Vikings signed him to a three-year deal during the offseason, but we've heard that the deal was structured to protect the team against any bad behavior.

Regarding alcohol, the NFL may discipline players under the substance abuse policy only after a conviction or admitted violation of the law relating to the use of alcohol. The policy permits imposition of a fine, suspension, or other appropriate discipline. Testing for alcohol is not conducted, most likely due to the fact that alcohol metabolizes very quickly. Moreover, there is no commonly used urine test for the presence of alcohol.

The Vikings have the chance to be REALLY terrible this year IMHO; and you won't find a bigger supporter of Brad Childress at the time of his hiring. :X

The Vikings have the chance to be REALLY terrible this year IMHO; and you won't find a bigger supporter of Brad Childress at the time of his hiring. :X
Does letting Nate Burleson go without a fight (Not that they had much high ground to fight from) {especially since they just burned the compensation pick} make any sense to anyone? If so can they explain it to me. Thanks.Non Football/ non FF . I hope KRob gets it together.

Lots of people get beat by the bottle...lots of people beat the bottle. If KRob, indeed, took voluntary action, it's a HUGE step in the right direction.

Evidently, he fell off the wagon. Recognizing his mistake & doing something about it shows maturity. I've never been an alcoholic, but it seems like he's got the will to fight this disease.

If he does stay sober, Koren Robinson will have a BIG year, IMO.

Where there's smoke, there's...Profootballtalk.com. :) I loved a quote from the article:

(Operating uncharacteristically like "real" journalists, we called Keels for confirmation -- and got it.)

Rotoworld is reporting that PFT has a piece about Robinson being back in rehab for alcohol abuse.

link:

http://fantasyfootball.rotoworld.com/conte...s.asp?sport=NFL

Profootballtalk.com has confirmed that Koren Robinson is back in alcohol rehab.

Robinson's agent confirms the news, but emphasized that his client's stay was voluntary and not because of any violation of the league's substance abuse policy. He's been in rehab since late June. It's unclear what effect this may have on his playing status, if at all, but Minnesota's recent three-year contract protected them from off-field behavior. Jul. 6 - 5:14 pm et
That is big relief right there. He's making a concerted effort to clean his act up, and he's still working hard now so it doesn't affect him throughout the season.Voluntary is the key here... :thumbup: to my man KRob, the lone brightspot on a terrible, terrible 2006 Minnesota Vikings team...

Last edited:
if K-Rob isn't well enough to play, or misses time, who becomes the #1 and #2? Does Troy Williamson actually have a chance to be the #1??? :banned:

Why are people assuming he drank again?

but emphasized that his client's stay was voluntary and not because of any violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

but emphasized that his client's stay was voluntary and not because of any violation of the league's substance abuse policy.
What reason would he have for checking into alcohol rehab if he weren't drinking alcohol?

Some people go back to rehab to help them stay off, which doesn't necessarily mean they've drank again.

What reason would he have for checking into alcohol rehab if he weren't drinking alcohol?
To pick up drunk chicks?The article did say he's getting married in a month. He's running out of time.

Plenty of reasons. Possibly looking for support after having thoughts about going down the wrong path. Obviously there's not enough info at this point to pass judgement.

Until I hear otherwise I'm going to assume he is trying to stay clean and thought that the best way to beat his demons was to go back to a place he trusts.

on the lighter side..

I mean the article states he's getting married at the end of the month, talk about reasons to drink ..... :banned:

can anyone here guarantee that krob drank again? of course not, but let's get real...if he's in rehab, it's because he drank again

kudos to him for his attempt to correct the issue before it got out of hand again. good luck krob

can anyone here guarantee that krob drank again? of course not, but let's get real...if he's in rehab, it's because he drank again

kudos to him for his attempt to correct the issue before it got out of hand again. good luck krob
Why would he basically admit to doing something he could get suspended one year from the NFL for?

I hope everything turns out OK for KRob. He really should talk to his agent, though:

Koren Robinson reportedly told KFAN radio in Minnesota that he did not recently check into an alcohol rehab center.Earlier Thursday, Robinson's agent Alvin Keels told ProFootballTalk.com his client voluntarily attended an alcohol rehabilitation clinic in South Carolina last month. It's possible the Vikings' projected No. 1 receiver is simply trying to avoid any bad press. Jul. 6 - 8:09 pm etSource: ProFootballTalk.com
So either his agent made a mistake, or he is lying about not going to rehab. :shrug:

can anyone here guarantee that krob drank again?  of course not, but let's get real...if he's in rehab, it's because he drank again

kudos to him for his attempt to correct the issue before it got out of hand again.  good luck krob
Why would he basically admit to doing something he could get suspended one year from the NFL for?
Where did he admit anything? The NFL isn't going to find out about what's said in rehab.I'd have to say that the agent failing to say that he didn't drink is almost an indication that he did though.

"Did he drink?"

"My client's reason for checking into rehad isn't necessarily because he started drinking again..." just screams out that he did do it. If he didn't, he'd readily admit that he didn't.

I don't think this is NFL business. Vikings business, perhaps, but not NFL. He didn't get a DUI or have any alcohol-related legal problem as far as we know. Alcohol isn't a banned substance, obviously, and as long as he's legally clear he should be able to go to rehab any time he wants/needs without being sanctioned by the NFL. Someone can, and I'm sure will, correct me if I'm wrong.

Plenty of reasons. Possibly looking for support after having thoughts about going down the wrong path. Obviously there's not enough info at this point to pass judgement.
:goodposting: J

Lots of people get beat by the bottle...lots of people beat the bottle. If KRob, indeed, took voluntary action, it's a HUGE step in the right direction.

Evidently, he fell off the wagon. Recognizing his mistake & doing something about it shows maturity. I've never been an alcoholic, but it seems like he's got the will to fight this disease.

If he does stay sober, Koren Robinson will have a BIG year, IMO.
Great post FJ. You may have hit this one out of the park and I hope you're right. It's nice to see you and a few others take a positive approach on this one.

can anyone here guarantee that krob drank again?  of course not, but let's get real...if he's in rehab, it's because he drank again

kudos to him for his attempt to correct the issue before it got out of hand again.  good luck krob
I don't think this is NFL business. Vikings business, perhaps, but not NFL. He didn't get a DUI or have any alcohol-related legal problem as far as we know. Alcohol isn't a banned substance, obviously, and as long as he's legally clear he should be able to go to rehab any time he wants/needs without being sanctioned by the NFL. Someone can, and I'm sure will, correct me if I'm wrong.
It's definitely an NFL issue, but they would certainly have to have some sort of positive test or direct admission. Here's the NFL's drug policy: http://www.nflpa.org/PDFs/Shared/Drug_Policy_2005.pdfIt says that in stage two, players are subject to the full NFL Panel of drugs as well as alcohol testing.

KRob was suspended for 4 games, so he failed three tests, one to put him in stage one, on to get to stage two, and one while in stage two. That puts him in the program for 24 months from the date of the most recent failed test. So he's still in, and still subject to that 1 year suspension for a 2nd failure (or "failure to comply with his Treatment plan") while in stage two.

ETA - you have to wonder what the NFL considers a "failure to comply with his treatment plan". If showing up drunk at jail doesn't do it....would a direct admission even be enough for them? Perhaps they avoid the red tape and only consider a failed test significant anymore?

If it is indeed voluntary, then more power to him. Maybe his pending marriage is what made him realize he wants to continue to be a better person.

It's definitely an NFL issue, but they would certainly have to have some sort of positive test or direct admission. Here's the NFL's drug policy: http://www.nflpa.org/PDFs/Shared/Drug_Policy_2005.pdfIt says that in stage two, players are subject to the full NFL Panel of drugs as well as alcohol testing.

KRob was suspended for 4 games, so he failed three tests, one to put him in stage one, on to get to stage two, and one while in stage two. That puts him in the program for 24 months from the date of the most recent failed test. So he's still in, and still subject to that 1 year suspension for a 2nd failure (or "failure to comply with his Treatment plan") while in stage two.

ETA - you have to wonder what the NFL considers a "failure to comply with his treatment plan". If showing up drunk at jail doesn't do it....would a direct admission even be enough for them? Perhaps they avoid the red tape and only consider a failed test significant anymore?
Thanks for setting me straight. :thumbup:

Robinson is supposedly denying the accusations, but I highly doubt Robinson's agent was misrepresenting the truth when he released his original statement.

I think it's possible that voluntary means "voluntary".In fact, isn't anyone who checks into a rehab doing so "voluntarily" (excluding court ordered rehab)?

Not passing any judgment here, but we are dealing with an alcoholic.

Wow.

I'm really pulling for this guy to clean up his act and not for FF reasons either.
As far as FF goes KRob has always sucked but I can't think of any other reasons why you'd be pulling for him. I am pretty sure he couldn't care less if you drank yourself to death.

Wow.

I'm really pulling for this guy to clean up his act and not for FF reasons either.
As far as FF goes KRob has always sucked but I can't think of any other reasons why you'd be pulling for him. I am pretty sure he couldn't care less if you drank yourself to death.
Ummm. Wow.Thanks you totally changed my opinion.

Does letting Nate Burleson go without a fight (Not that they had much high ground to fight from) {especially since they just burned the compensation pick} make any sense to anyone? If so can they explain it to me. Thanks.Non Football/ non FF . I hope KRob gets it together.
The Vikings had no choice but to let him go due to the way the contract offer was structured by the Seahawks. I believe there was some sort of ridiculous clause in the deal that stated if Burleson played more than X amount of games in the state of Minnesota he was entitled to millions GUARANTEED. No way the Vikes could match the offer, which was basically revenge-driven after Minny "stole" Steve Hutchinson away from the 'Hawks.

Wow.

Human decency down?

NFL Network just reported that K Rob is in denial....errr I mean K Rob has denied his agents report on his entering a rehab clinic in June.

Wow.

Please tell me that this is a sarcastic reply. You can't think of ANY other reasons why we'd be pulling for him? Maybe as concerned human beings? How callous a remark can you make?

Letting down your fantasy team is one thing, but wishing ill will upon anybody is not the way to go I can assure you. How would you feel if Koren Robinson were your brother?

NFL Network just reported that K Rob is in denial....errr I mean K Rob has denied his agents report on his entering a rehab clinic in June.
It's entirely possible that the agent is mistaken here...I have to admit I didn't believe the report when I first saw it. Robinson by all accounts had turned the corner on his bout with alcoholism and the Vikings staff was/is very high on his prospects.

It's entirely possible that the agent is mistaken here...I have to admit I didn't believe the report when I first saw it. Robinson by all accounts had turned the corner on his bout with alcoholism and the Vikings staff was/is very high on his prospects.
I want to agree with you, I really do. It is difficult to believe that the agent would confirm a report like that and give some details on the stay, without there being some merit to it.As far as the post of how would you feel if it was your brother? Well if it was my brother I'd hope he did find treatment and checked himself in whenever he felt he was going to slip up again. I'd hope he'd feel free enough at this point of his life to be honest and face it, even under public scrutiny. I'd hope those around him did not enable him and he went forth with integrity/honesty and with the support of his friends, family, employer and fans.

If he didn't do all this, I'd want to kick my brothers a.. for continuing to blow opportunities in his life. I'd also be there to question the heck out of him beg him to stay true to himself and thus due to his profession true to the public while I tried to reconfim his ability to stay strong, if I thought he was falling off the path. I wouldn't blindly say "he's doing fine now..he's seen the light." That's denial and helps no one.

Bottom line is, this guy just can't handle success! Whenever things start going well for him he self-destructs. It's a shame and for his own well-being, I am praying that he turns his life around before its too late.

LINK

Koren Robinson's agent confirmed a website report Thursday that the receiver has re-entered an alcohol rehab facility. But Alvin Keels made it clear that Robinson's decision was voluntary and he has not violated the NFL's substance abuse policy.

"Is Koren Robinson in rehab or at a rehab facility? Yes," said Keels, responding to a report that first broke on profootballtalk.com. "Was Koren Robinson drinking? No. Was Koren Robinson forced by the NFL or the Vikings to go? No. Most recovering alcoholics seek treatment through the years. He's just being more proactive than in the past."

Keels made it clear that Robinson can leave the facility at any time and expressed disappointment that word had leaked out about his client's private decision. "I feel sad that the guy is being proactive instead of staying at home, he's doing the right thing, and now that he's doing that it's a big story," Keels said. "This isn't news. ... the guy wants to go in on his own time and get some help just for coping skills because he doesn't have a lot of time off."

A Vikings spokesman said the team would have no comment on the subject. Robinson did not return calls to the Star Tribune on Thursday evening, but earlier in the day he denied the story when reached by FOX9. "Everybody has been calling me about this," he said. "That's false. I'm trying to get in contact with my agent. I don't know what's going on."

Robinson signed with the Vikings as a free agent in September 2005 after some well-documented alcohol problems he had while playing with Seattle. He was released in June 2005 by the Seahawks following an arrest in May 2005 for drunken driving.

Robinson also was suspended for four games in 2004 after violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, meaning his next positive drug test would lead to a one-year suspension.

Robinson, 26, did not participate in a training camp last summer because he was in a 28-day treatment program for alcoholism. But he proved to be a model citizen with the Vikings and made the NFC Pro Bowl team as a kick returner.

His fellow players voted him the Vikings' winner of the Ed Block Courage award, given annually to a player on each NFL team who best exemplifies sportsmanship and courage. Robinson also won the Korey Stringer Good Guy award, which is given to the most cooperative Vikings player and voted on by local reporters.

The Vikings rewarded Robinson, a free agent, with a three-year contract in March that includes $5.5 million in guaranteed bonuses. The total value could be as much as $12.7 million.

Robinson, who caught 22 passes for 347 yards and a touchdown in 2005, is expected to be the Vikings' No. 1 receiver this season. Due to be married on July 22, he checked into the facility in late June.

Bottom line is, this guy just can't handle success! Whenever things start going well for him he self-destructs. It's a shame and for his own well-being, I am praying that he turns his life around before its too late.
Because he voluntarily went to rehab he can't handle success?

http://snipurl.com/sup4 googled him

he told the wfan it all BS..deny deny deny?..Now I am really wonderig waht is going on...could it be worse that he is denying this?
or he could be telling the truth. Maybe he didn't go to "rehab" per se. Perhaps he went to a support group...whatever he did, it's a bit presumptious for people on ff messageboard to pretend they know wtf is going on. :thumbup: to Koren for continuing to fight his alcoholism.

The more I look this over, one has to wonder how Koren didn't get suspended for the 05 season. He was suspended for 4 in the 04 season. In the offseason, he got a DUI and showed up to jail drunk. Unless I have the timeline wrong, how exactly does a DUI not constitute a "failure to comply with his treatment plan"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread