What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty IDP Noob Questions (1 Viewer)

cpstorm

Footballguy
This seems to be a great forum for IDPs. I love that the staff answers the q's on the board. Definitely renewing my subscription this year.

To the Q's:

1. Most of the rankings I see have the LBs listed merely as "LB". From what little i know, MLB and WLB are the guys you want. Is there a spot i can find the distinctions or is it safe to assume the highly ranked LBs are all WLB or MLB?

2. What teams will consistently play Cover 2? I have heard that some play it exclusively (IND, TB i believe, which makes sense since Dungy "made" it) and which will likely play it a lot (Buf? Min? etc?)

3. I have a 35 man roster to fill out with 2 of each DL, DB, LB starting, plus 1 flex. How many IDP should I carry? I was thinking 6-7 LB, 3-4 DL, and 3-4 DB.

thanks in advance!

This seems to be a great forum for IDPs. I love that the staff answers the q's on the board. Definitely renewing my subscription this year.

To the Q's:

1. Most of the rankings I see have the LBs listed merely as "LB". From what little i know, MLB and WLB are the guys you want. Is there a spot i can find the distinctions or is it safe to assume the highly ranked LBs are all WLB or MLB? usually, not always (Dansby, for example)

2. What teams will consistently play Cover 2? I have heard that some play it exclusively (IND, TB i believe, which makes sense since Dungy "made" it) and which will likely play it a lot (Buf? Min? etc?) use search function, there is a whole thread on team scemes

3. I have a 35 man roster to fill out with 2 of each DL, DB, LB starting, plus 1 flex. How many IDP should I carry? I was thinking 6-7 LB, 3-4 DL, and 3-4 DB. I would go 14-17 IDP

thanks in advance!

To the Q's:

1. Most of the rankings I see have the LBs listed merely as "LB". From what little i know, MLB and WLB are the guys you want. Is there a spot i can find the distinctions or is it safe to assume the highly ranked LBs are all WLB or MLB?

Bob Henry does our depth charts and he's more up-to-date in most instances during the offseason than Ourlads or the localsports.ca website. You can find them here. With rare exception (Washington, Dansby, Merriman, DJohnson to name a few), the top 40 backers will all be MLBs or WLBs.

2. What teams will consistently play Cover 2? I have heard that some play it exclusively (IND, TB i believe, which makes sense since Dungy "made" it) and which will likely play it a lot (Buf? Min? etc?)

Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, and Chicago are established Tampa-2 teams. Minnesota and Detroit are committed to installing the scheme this year. Buffalo, Kansas City, and Denver will also use the scheme fairly often. The Bills are still a wild card, though. Perry Fewell has coached under Lovie Smith and has said that he'll use the scheme often, but there have also been indications that the Bills will use quite a bit of man coverage packages as well.

3. I have a 35 man roster to fill out with 2 of each DL, DB, LB starting, plus 1 flex. How many IDP should I carry? I was thinking 6-7 LB, 3-4 DL, and 3-4 DB.

Always hard to answer without knowing a scoring system and starting roster requirements, but I'll usually default to best player available at the back end. I like to have a minimum of 3 DL, 5 LB, and 5 DB in a 12 team 2-3-3 setup. In all but the very best IDP leagues, you can usually find solid DL and DBs on the waiver wire during the first month of the season (and later).

thanks in advance!

I'd go lean at IDP - there are always good guys on the waiver wire, and your roster spots are better spent on loser RBs - WGreen, Pinner, scrubs like that who might be next offseason's Dayne or Rhodes.

3 DEs, 5 LBs, 4 DBs.

wow. never expected to get such quick responses. Thanks guys

especially the info about the depth charts. just noticed they have W's and S's attached, and i assume that means weak/strong?

tackles are 2pts, sacks 4, INT 4, FF and FR 3 each. TDs 7

so if minimums are as stated (3 DL, 5 LB, 5 DE), what is getting ridiculous?

I start 2-2-2 plus a flex

wow. never expected to get such quick responses. Thanks guys

especially the info about the depth charts. just noticed they have W's and S's attached, and i assume that means weak/strong?

tackles are 2pts, sacks 4, INT 4, FF and FR 3 each. TDs 7

so if minimums are as stated (3 DL, 5 LB, 5 DE), what is getting ridiculous?

I start 2-2-2 plus a flex
Yes, Henry notes WLB as W and SLB as S.That scoring system is heavily slanted toward guys who get big tackle stats. Get stud backers, stud safeties, and grab a couple of solid defensive linemen late in the draft. Make sure your flex is a stud linebacker. I think you can easily draft the minimum here unless here and focus on bunches of high upside offensive players.

Definitely going to subscribe, but where should i go now. I have never done IDP before and i am thirsty for knowledge. Read the IDP interview on the main page, sifting through the team notes...

Last question for today: I also get pts for Kick and punt returns. Who are the solid CBs that would benefit from that? I can think of Pacman off the top.

Definitely going to subscribe, but where should i go now. I have never done IDP before and i am thirsty for knowledge. Read the IDP interview on the main page, sifting through the team notes...

Last question for today: I also get pts for Kick and punt returns. Who are the solid CBs that would benefit from that? I can think of Pacman off the top.
I don't play in any leagues that award points for kick return yards.Terrence McGee definitely, and I think DeAngelo Hall will still have some added value. Lot of guys pimping Justin Miller in these leagues. Definitely do a search on this one because I've seen some good discussion on the board from the guys that do use return yards.

If you subscribed last season, Norton's article on breaking down defenses is a must-must-must read. It can be found in the 2005 archives among the preseason articles.

Otherwise, our team reports are frequently updated, and all relevant players are further broken down on the player pages. Some 50 players have been further covered in face-offs and the IDP interview addressed some general and specific player/team questions.

That should keep you busy for a while and get you pretty well coached up. ;)

If that's not enough, this board has been unbelievably solid over the past 6 months. Look for the threads Tick moderated generating a consenus ranking of dynasty players and his thread discussing each team's scheme, Magaw's thread on undervalued players from April, and the thread many of us contributed to during the NFL Draft.

If you subscribed last season, Norton's article on breaking down defenses is a must-must-must read. It can be found in the 2005 archives among the preseason articles.
excellent article.just re-upped for this year

Keep hitting this forum and you're already significantly better off than your competitors, assuming they're IDP newbies too.

Well Jene stole my thunder as I was all set to refer you to Bob Henry's depth charts and the threads discussing cover 2's.

I tend to agree with Tick and go with fewer IDP's than what other posters suggested. My Dynasty League is also 35 man active rosters. I typically carry 3-4 DL, 5 LBrs and 3-4 DB's giving me 12-13 defensive players. I've also found that as far as initial drafts are concerned taking more than 3 IDP players in the top 10 rounds is a major mistake. You could even make an argument to limit it to 2. Don't even consider a DB in the first 10-12 rounds. It does seem much easier to find solid IDP talent on the waiver wire than say a RB2 or WR4.

Last season all these guys were IDP waiver wire pickups in my league:

DL Derrick Burgess (5th overall DL)

DL Kyle VandeBosch (8th DL)

DT Orpheus Roye (11th DL)

DE Philip Daniels (18th DL)

LB Demorrio Williams (13th LB)

LB Angelo Crowell (20th LB)

LB Tommy Polley (40th LB)

DB Shawntae Spencer (14th DB)

DB Ike Taylor (18th)

DB Chris Hope (22nd)

DB Marlon McCree (23rd)

That's 4 top 20 Defensive Linemen, 2 top 20 LB's, and 4 top 25 DB's. You simply don't get that much help through waivers on the offensive side of the ball.

Don't be fooled by big name defensive players!

Be sure to take a LONG look at your scoring statisics from last year. Then, place those stats up against schemes and positions within schemes. You are going to find that great NFL defensive players are not necessarily IDP stalwarts. On the other side of the ball that is not the case. Conversely, you will find some IDP studs that have little or no name recognition but are as good, if not better, than their better known peers. If you can manipulate that information and place it up against some ADP data (look for the Zealot drafts from this Spring for a nice sample), then you will be able to find great value in your upcoming draft.

The return stats are nice but there is absolutely no reason to reach for a CB in an IDP draft...ever. The price tag associated with a D. Hall or McGee, opinion, is just too much to pay in an initial draft. The return yard ROI, opinion, is not enough to justify the high draft pick. I drafted Pac Man last year and picked up D. Williams, who were each rookies. Their returns yards were a nice just in case competitive edge but never made a large difference. (Of course, if your scoring system has some out of this world points awarded for return yards, then you consider it. If it is something that is standard or reduced, then it has to be put into perspective.) The fact they were rookies, though, did, which is something you will learn with reading a few articles.

Think SS before FS. My preference is to horde SS that are heavily used in their respective defensive scheme; are used to support the run; see action in pass rush and that is not the case for all SS in the league. I will spend for a great SS before I will pay top end for a CB. I prefer not to draft or carry any FS.

MLB and WLB are great but they have their time and place in a draft. You are going to have a few people begin to draft those players at or around Rounds 5-7. Do your homework regarding your point system; positions; positions within schemes and hold. Continue to take offensive prospects. It has been stated several times but it can never be said too many times.

Offensive players still have a tremendous and superior value in an IDP format. It is far easier to replace, pick up or trade for a defensive player, as opposed to picking up a starting WR; RB or QB. Thus, make sure you are stocked with potential gems at RB, WR and QB prior to completely filling out your defensive starting line-up.

are there any good sites that offer mixed IDP mocks (ie: both off and IDP)?

free of course...?

Last edited by a moderator:
got the ADP from Tick. Thanks

now, a DD question (wrong forum perhaps, but here it is anyway):

Where do they get their ADP data for IDPs? How big is the sample size? I am sure its quite accurate for Off positions, but defensive...?

I am a huge DD fan and i mix that liberally with ADP to make a winning formula (usually) so i need reliable IDP ADP data.

Suggestions/comments?

Users who are viewing this thread