What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (1 Viewer)

I'm taking some pleasure seeing to all the iPhone honks that said the iPhone never needed to be bigger and that the androids were way too big ("how does that even fit in your pocket?" :lmao: ) jump at the chance to get a decent size phone for once.
Agree 100%. I'm geeked for the i6, but many of the folks in this thread used to push the idea that the 3.5" screen was "ideal". Seems pretty silly now.
Over that last few years I've heard far more iPhone users saying they wanted a bigger phone than those making fun of those big phones already on the market.

I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't mind the size of my current iphone. I was open to the bigger size based on everybody saying how great it was, but not sure I need it.

No data on price points yet... but rumors of the 4.7" model coming out at lower price points than the 5s initially did.

If you put a gun to my head to guess on "with contract pricing" (prevalent in the US)

4.7" Model

16GB - $149 $199

32GB - $249

64GB - $349 $299

128GB - $399

5.5" Model

32GB 16GB - $299

64GB - $399

128GB - $499

Does a good job of covering the spectrum of options.... there are rumors of 128GB models to accommodate those who are looking for more storage. The lower end range still gives them a "new" phone at the affordable end of the spectrum which could do high volume numbers to make investors happy.
Looking back, Looks like I wasn't too far off here....

Pretty much nailed the 6s pricing, and was 50 off on the 6 pricing. I don't think anyone saw the 16/64/128 configuration coming for both sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't mind the size of my current iphone. I was open to the bigger size based on everybody saying how great it was, but not sure I need it.
:shrug:

I'm fine with my iPhone 5 size.

I'm not getting the 6 because it is bigger, I'm getting the 6 because my 5 is 2 years old and I would like a longer lasting battery.

No demos in the Apple Store I visited this weekend. I talked to the guy who'll be managing the line on Friday and he was not happy about it, either, since it will slow things down for people who wanted to see both before deciding.

:shrug:

I'm fine with my iPhone 5 size.

I'm not getting the 6 because it is bigger, I'm getting the 6 because my 5 is 2 years old and I would like a longer lasting battery.
Yep.

Despite being fairly blind (-4.25 vision) I don't have much issue with the 4 screen. The lack of battery life...however... :hot: There is no way this phone doesn't have a defective battery.

The bigger screen will be nice, I'm a little concerned about reachability, but the difference shouldn't be too much. Thankfully I have large hands. ;) I tried to tell myself I would be fine with the phablet, but I just don't think I can bring myself to carry that thing around.

Picking up my 6 at 9am Friday morning... will see how it goes.

I am excited to be a phablet dork

even if it means waiting a while

the camera actually is a big deal to me, we have a great camera but use our phones so much that i really want the best camera i can get

Yeah. At first I was like, "Wow! A bigger screen." But now that I see it, I remember why I hated the other phones that came out with a huge screen like that. They look idiotic. I'm happy with my phone now, but I could bump it up to a 6. That's kind of pushing it, though.

and more importantly

if an when the next Game of Thrones book comes out and i am reading that on my phablet on the crapper i'll be happy i got it

the camera actually is a big deal to me, we have a great camera but use our phones so much that i really want the best camera i can get
To be fair... I'm excited for you to become a phablet dork too, as I anticipate the advances made in WW videos will be unparalleled. :excited:

Agree 1000% on the camera. We have a nice Canon DSLR that has been collecting dust for over a year now because of the quality/convenience of iPhone cameras. I'm hoping this 6 is the nail in the coffin. :thumbup: Not that I don't love our 20D, but the thing is just so bulky it's impractical to have around.

To be fair... I'm excited for you to become a phablet dork too, as I anticipate the advances made in WW videos will be unparalleled. :excited:

Agree 1000% on the camera. We have a nice Canon DSLR that has been collecting dust for over a year now because of the quality/convenience of iPhone cameras. I'm hoping this 6 is the nail in the coffin. :thumbup: Not that I don't love our 20D, but the thing is just so bulky it's impractical to have around.
what i came down to was this

the bigger phone may be inconvenient when i am 1) carrying it 2) talking on it

well that sounds bad

BUT

i almost always carry my phone in my back pocket or leg pocket, and i almost always remove it when i sit. I hate having things in my pockets while sitting around. So carrying should not be bad. and as i said earlier, the thing i do least on my phone is talk, i text and surf and goof around a lot more and the bigger screen will be a plus there

so the one remaining minus is i'll look like a phablet dork

if looking like a dork prevented me from doing things i never would have left the house from the ages of 13 till...well ####, now?

luckily i have no shame

well that sounds bad

BUT

i almost always carry my phone in my back pocket or leg pocket, and i almost always remove it when i sit. I hate having things in my pockets while sitting around. So carrying should not be bad. and as i said earlier, the thing i do least on my phone is talk, i text and surf and goof around a lot more and the bigger screen will be a plus there

if looking like a dork prevented me from doing things i never would have left the house from the ages of 13 till...well ####, now?

luckily i have no shame
This.

All of this.

well that sounds bad

BUT

luckily i have no shame
This.

All of this.
:goodposting:

I was in AT&T a few minutes ago...

I looked at two LG phones which they said were comparable to the iphone 6 and 6 plus. The one that was comparable to the 6 plus had a slight curve in it. Regardless of the curve, it felt gigantic, like big enough where I have doubts about lugging the thing around in my pocket.

I called all 3 radio shacks in my area and they all have iphone 6+ left for Friday
Same here for Radio Shack, Best Buy, and the Apple store. The only place I found that said they would not have them on Friday was the Microsoft store.

I'll be going by Best Buy first thing Friday to get a feel for each one. The 6+ seems to big.

Help me out. I spoke with ATT and Verizon this afternoon. Verizon will not pay off my contract so I will have to pay the fee if I switch. Verizon is offering a 2GB data plan with texting and calling for $60 plus tax and such. If I buy the phone now from ATT, my bill will go from $62ish to $99ish... not sure if this includes complete texting and calling but is my current set up.

Either way, I am able to sell my phone to recoup some of the fees. ATT will only give me $130 for the Nokia 1520 but I'm thinking I could get more from elsewhere. Quick math tells me the early termination fee is going to be $225-245 from ATT.

Are ATT and Verizon's networks "that" much different or am I overthinking this?

I checked out the Note to "feel" the size of the 6+ and I held a phone with a similar screen size of the 6. I'm not sure what else I could do with the 6+ and it doesn't see "too big". The 6 doesn't seem small but with a case might seem just right. The 6+ does have "more" potential though. Overall the 6+ is smaller than my current phones but with a case might be about the same size so I am leery of the 6+. Thoughts?

Help me out. I spoke with ATT and Verizon this afternoon. Verizon will not pay off my contract so I will have to pay the fee if I switch. Verizon is offering a 2GB data plan with texting and calling for $60 plus tax and such. If I buy the phone now from ATT, my bill will go from $62ish to $99ish... not sure if this includes complete texting and calling but is my current set up.

Either way, I am able to sell my phone to recoup some of the fees. ATT will only give me $130 for the Nokia 1520 but I'm thinking I could get more from elsewhere. Quick math tells me the early termination fee is going to be $225-245 from ATT.

I checked out the Note to "feel" the size of the 6+ and I held a phone with a similar screen size of the 6. I'm not sure what else I could do with the 6+ and it doesn't see "too big". The 6 doesn't seem small but with a case might seem just right. The 6+ does have "more" potential though. Overall the 6+ is smaller than my current phones but with a case might be about the same size so I am leery of the 6+. Thoughts?
You're overthinking it.

ATT and Verizon networks are both the cream of the crop.

If you're anywhere near a populated area, you should never experience a dropped call these days

If you want to let me know where you live, I can pull up the propagation maps for each and send em over to you. I'm friends with one of their main network engineers.

You're overthinking it.

ATT and Verizon networks are both the cream of the crop.

If you're anywhere near a populated area, you should never experience a dropped call these days

If you want to let me know where you live, I can pull up the propagation maps for each and send em over to you. I'm friends with one of their main network engineers.
I'm in Milwaukee, WI however I do visit White Hall, WI a couple of times a year. Not high priority do get phone calls there but there are areas where I get zero reception with ATT.

I can't see me giving up my unlimited data until a later date. The 4-5 gigs I use would probably double my bill from its current ~75$/month.

Looks like I'm switching.

Talked with ATT online. Early termination with ATT is $114 for me. The phone I have ATT will give me $130. I think that is fair. I can then go to Verizon and pay $60 a month for essentially the same plan I have now. I will get a discount as well from Verizon so I think I will pay about the same per month overall.

I will wait to hold each phone to determine which one I go with. I like the idea of the 5.5" but think the 4.7" is more practical for me. I really like the phones in the 5" - 5.1" screen... just in the middle of these two phones. Argh.

FYI Verizon is granting early upgrades for the iPhone 6....
How? I have an upgrade coming on 10/9 and they told me I could not pre-order and had to wait until the 9th. As an aside, I was in the store on day one of pre-orders and ordered a 6 for my wife who already had an upgrade available. Her current ship date is 10/7. The Verizon rep said they get shipments, but won't know when or how many (due to security reasons, she said), but said I may be able to get one in stock on the 9th.

FYI Verizon is granting early upgrades for the iPhone 6....
How? I have an upgrade coming on 10/9 and they told me I could not pre-order and had to wait until the 9th. As an aside, I was in the store on day one of pre-orders and ordered a 6 for my wife who already had an upgrade available. Her current ship date is 10/7. The Verizon rep said they get shipments, but won't know when or how many (due to security reasons, she said), but said I may be able to get one in stock on the 9th.
You are eligible.... It's anyone eligible on or before November 15th! Call back:

http://www.businessinsider.com/verizon-iphone-6-early-upgrade-promotion-2014-9

"As a special thank you to our existing customers, all Verizon customers who would be eligible to upgrade on or before November 15th have had their upgrade dates changed to become upgrade eligible immediately. These customers can now upgrade to any device currently in our lineup, with new two year contract. Customers should check My Verizon to confirm upgrade eligibility."

How do you guys have $60 bills from Verizon? Mine was always 120. One line, one phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you guys have $60 bills from Verizon? Mine was always 120. One line, one phone.
Check out the website:

Single line plan:

2GB data w/ unlimited talk/text : $60 ($15/GB overage)

Basically it's the $60 1GB plan with 1 free Gb of data. It's a beast of a plan I found while prepping to move over to the iPhone 6.

Talking to some reps, it's specifically timed for the iPhone 6 launch to steal customers.... It's working. It's a pretty exceptional plan for one of the big two.

Users who are viewing this thread