What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Companies you believe in (1 Viewer)

adonis

Footballguy
For whatever reason, I'm enamored with Apple right now. I think there is huge potential with the company in the coming years, their innovations are heading in the right direction, and the door is only now opening for their technologies to grab hold. They have the apple TV coming out, they will be introducing a new OS that will enable windows to be loaded onto their machines as well as OS X, they will be launching the iPhone later this year, they're patenting a lot of cool new technology, and it looks like they're hiring programmers to move games over to the mac OS. Their ipod lines are still the best out there, the OS X is a great OS that people will learn about soon, more and more PC guys like me are making the switch to Apple once dual-booting is possible. There's a lot of positives to be said for Apple's future.

I really don't know of another company that I can think of right now that is doing more right for the future or who has better potential to dominate in the next decade than Apple. I'm putting my money where my mouth is in this case and even though I've never opened an investment account, I recently opened a Roth IRA and am buying apple stock, in addition to a few other companies I believe in (TM, CSCO, RESP, SIAL).

What companies do you believe are heading in the right direction, whose products you see really taking off in the future, that you would be willing to invest long term in their stock?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have more than 10% of your IRA in AAPL you're nuts... and I'm as big of an AAPL homer as there is on these forums I think.

' date='Feb 26 2007, 11:32 PM' post='6399699']If you have more than 10% of your IRA in AAPL you're nuts... and I'm as big of an AAPL homer as there is on these forums I think.
Yeah, it's early yet. I'm starting out with the companies I like most and will expand and diversify more later on.Any fav company other than Apple?

I think this might be a winner going forward. Sigma-Aldrich is a hugh provider of chemicals, and with the increase in funding from the NSF on the horizon along with strides in nanotechnology, etc. they've got a pretty sweet niche carved out. I know that I order from these guys a lot.. and their stuff ain't cheap.

I feel the same about AAPL. Been big on the bandwagon (with my mouth, not so much my money) since about this time last year. Just an awesome company that consistently innovates and just puts out superior products. I think in NYC we see it more than people in other parts of the country -- if you take the subway to work every morning, you see how many people have the white headphones on leading into the obvious iPod in their pocket. These things are everywhere.

I love AAPL as well, and I think long term it is going to be a great investment.

Very low-tech comp'd to AAPL, but I'm all over Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG). While tastes may differ amongst people, you can't deny the popularity of these restaurants. If you've ever been in one at lunchtime, chances are, the line is out the door. They're only located in 20-something states right now, but they have great management as they were spun off from McDonald's and they just do things right. It's a stock in the 60s now, but there's still plenty of room for it to grow and I'm going to keep holding and buying more. Everytime they have a bump in price due to good earnings, etc., I always make it a point to get a celebratory burrito bol.

Very low-tech comp'd to AAPL, but I'm all over Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG). While tastes may differ amongst people, you can't deny the popularity of these restaurants. If you've ever been in one at lunchtime, chances are, the line is out the door. They're only located in 20-something states right now, but they have great management as they were spun off from McDonald's and they just do things right. It's a stock in the 60s now, but there's still plenty of room for it to grow and I'm going to keep holding and buying more. Everytime they have a bump in price due to good earnings, etc., I always make it a point to get a celebratory burrito bol.
When they went public, I had a guy on my softball team managing one of the stores. He told me when it was going to happen and advised me to make a move. :unsure: I was going there at least once a week(put on 10lbs) and was a big advocate. Seriously, line out the door and people standing while they're eating.

I like this thread :unsure:

First, I want to say I don't believe in AAPL, but I understand the sentiment. People that believe in them are in love with them. It's kind of like a cult following. Only reason I don't believe in AAPL though is it appears to me that there are some pretty steep growth rates they must hit, and if they stumble along the way, there will be problems. I'm just a skeptic in general though.

Now, I believe in PFE. Pfizer forever baby. Company plows money into R&D and back to investors by the fistful. Aging US population will only add to the need for more and more drugs. I know there are some pending obstacles stacked up against Pfizer, such as generics, brands coming off patenet protection, and the ever pending fear that medicare will cut benefits...but people are older and richer than ever, and they want to live longer. They will be willing to pay for it. A bit morbid, but I'm the same way. When I go to the grocery store to buy soda, I see Diet Coke at $1.00/bottle and Diet Sam's Soda for $.60/bottle. I throw three Diet Cokes in my basket and go on my way. I don't screw around with my health. Very lackluster performance for the past few years is okay by me, as it's just allowed me to add to my position.

I also believe that the Earth is running out of resources, maybe not at a dramatic pace, but running out all the same. Oil is going to be a problem for the next few decades, until we can figure out a way to transport ourselves affordably with another fuel, preferably a renewable resource. The other resource that I believe in is water. Yep, H20. Can't live without it. I can't think of a sure fire way to invest in either of these thoughts, so right now I like O&G exploration companies, and tanker stocks.....and I'm still exploring ways to invest in water. I think I read that Vivendi owns all the water in Southern California or something like that. I am going to have to do some more research on that front.

Now, I believe in PFE. Pfizer forever baby. Company plows money into R&D and back to investors by the fistful. Aging US population will only add to the need for more and more drugs. I know there are some pending obstacles stacked up against Pfizer, such as generics, brands coming off patenet protection, and the ever pending fear that medicare will cut benefits...but people are older and richer than ever, and they want to live longer. They will be willing to pay for it. A bit morbid, but I'm the same way. When I go to the grocery store to buy soda, I see Diet Coke at $1.00/bottle and Diet Sam's Soda for $.60/bottle. I throw three Diet Cokes in my basket and go on my way. I don't screw around with my health. Very lackluster performance for the past few years is okay by me, as it's just allowed me to add to my position.
I'm surprised you feel that way about Pfizer, at least right now. They had a lot riding on the new HDL drug that was pulled late last year. Maybe it is a good company to buy low? :confused: Here is their up to date pipeline. They have a few oncology products in phase III, but other then that, I don't expect much for a while.

I'm surprised you feel that way about Pfizer, at least right now. They had a lot riding on the new HDL drug that was pulled late last year. Maybe it is a good company to buy low? :confused:

Here is their up to date pipeline. They have a few oncology products in phase III, but other then that, I don't expect much for a while.
I'm patient, and I'll collect 4.5% while I wait.Your post is exactly the reason why the stock is so low right now. While their P/E is very attractive, their PEG is not so great. But, they are still making money. I like companies that make money. I also like MSFT, even though their days of wine and roses are well behind them. Company prints it's own money. This will allow them to give more to me, or buy other companies that do have attractive products in development. If you can't make it yourself, buy it.

About 7 years ago I put all the money I could (around $400) to buy Apple stock at $18.00 a share. Why oh why couldn't I have had more money?

I think this might be a winner going forward. Sigma-Aldrich is a hugh provider of chemicals, and with the increase in funding from the NSF on the horizon along with strides in nanotechnology, etc. they've got a pretty sweet niche carved out. I know that I order from these guys a lot.. and their stuff ain't cheap.
Don't they have a significant distribution segment? Also, they seem to be diversified within specialty chemicals. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but if you're swinging for the fences, you might want more of a pure-play.

I think in NYC we see it more than people in other parts of the country -- if you take the subway to work every morning, you see how many people have the white headphones on leading into the obvious iPod in their pocket. These things are everywhere.
:pickle: J

Just to make sure that it's not all sunshine on Apple. Their server end equipment is terrible.

They do a great job of marketing to the end user. Finally letting another OS on there PC's and going with outside parts like Intel is a great move and one they were to proud to do for years.

Hologic (HOLX)

They have a few imaging products, but biggest revenue source is digital mammography, which is really helping out with early detection over analog. :unsure: market penetration is only about 20%. In development is the next generation of equipment -- tomosynthesis -- which will enable 3D imaging and hopefully even earlier detection and further improved survival rates. :banned:

CEO is very passionate about their mission to improve women's health and spends time with young cancer patients. Easy company to believe in.

Just to make sure that it's not all sunshine on Apple. Their server end equipment is terrible.

They do a great job of marketing to the end user. Finally letting another OS on there PC's and going with outside parts like Intel is a great move and one they were to proud to do for years.
I don't know where you get this idea. Apple Xserve and OS X Server is very highly rated:Apple Xserve Review

Xserve is far better than the commodity server that the Intel x86 market expects. But what really blasts Apple's competition is OS X Server. The present Tiger (10.4) release is more than a match for much more expensive commercial Linux, and far more capable out of the box than Windows 2003 Server. Early next year, OS X Server Leopard (10.5) will transform Apple's already industry-leading Xserve, including the model reviewed here, into an unimaginably feature-rich native 64-bit server platform. And guess what? When you buy it, you're done paying for it, and all of the services you have to buy, build or rent with Windows, Linux or pay-as-you-go service outsourcing, are installed on every Xserve's boot drive.
And Apple has always used "outside parts". Before Intel, their chips were made by IBM and Motorola.

I think in NYC we see it more than people in other parts of the country -- if you take the subway to work every morning, you see how many people have the white headphones on leading into the obvious iPod in their pocket. These things are everywhere.
:lmao: J
Not the most scientific research technique, but the observation is accurate. iPod sales are strong, they are everywhere.iPod sales up 8% in Jan, could hit 10.8m for quarter
Hi goon,Please adjust your sarcasm meter. Of course they're everywhere. Everyone knows this. Any town in America will have tons of people listening to them everywhere. I was laughing at the idea one needed New York City to know that.

You Apple apologists need to lighten up a bit. ;)

J

:shrug: J
Not the most scientific research technique, but the observation is accurate. iPod sales are strong, they are everywhere.iPod sales up 8% in Jan, could hit 10.8m for quarter
:sadbanana: We now have 4 iPods in a household of 2

iPod 20GB (older white model) - Free throgh freeipods.com - used in my jeep

iPod 2GB Shufff (older white model) - Free thorugh freeipodshuffle.com - GF used for workout

iPod 8GB Nano (new black model) - Bought for GF for Xmas - uses for in-car music

iPod 30GB Video (new black model) -free fthrough freeipods.com - Just received today

Apple's been doing pretty well here lately, and that was only the beginning. Leopard, Iphone, multi-touch displays all still ahead of us.

Apple's been doing pretty well here lately, and that was only the beginning. Leopard, Iphone, multi-touch displays all still ahead of us.
Look for sales of the Mac Pro's to spike in the coming months with Adobe Creative Suite 3 launching tomorrow. Many professionals have held off on upgrading their systems since CS2 wasn't optimized for the new Intel Macs. CS3 hitting the streets is huge for Apple.

Look for sales of the Mac Pro's to spike in the coming months with Adobe Creative Suite 3 launching tomorrow. Many professionals have held off on upgrading their systems since CS2 wasn't optimized for the new Intel Macs. CS3 hitting the streets is huge for Apple.
Yep. I see very little reason to believe apple won't have a huge year with CS3, iphone, leopard, macbook sales, etc.

Here is one from one of the few areas I know anything about:

National Oilwell Varco (NOV)

They manufacture capital equipment and spare parts for drilling rigs. They also provide a range of other products and services to the oilfield.

There are a few great reasons to like it, long term, nevermind that I see it as undervalued here.

Reason #1: They have somehow been allowed to build virtual monopolies in a couple of key business lines. There are several kinds of components for drilling rigs where they have 75% market share or so. These are critical path items for the drilling contractors and they have no desire or incentive to try and save a few bucks from buying from some new entrant. NOV's aftermarket business servicing this equipment and providing spare parts for the equipment also provides a nice annuity stream for them. Margins on the aftermarket are actually stronger than on the new equipment too (think razors and razor blades). There are pretty good barriers to entry here and relatively high switching costs for the customer.

They also have a virtual monopoly in tubulars inspection and coating. I know this sounds like the dullest business on the planet, it might actually be true, but it is a very good business. You don't have to know a lot about the oil and gas business to know that it uses a lot of different kinds of pipe. Several different kinds of pipe go into wells (drill pipe, casing, and production pipe) and then pipe is used to transport the oil and gas on the surface (line pipe). This pipe is inspected for faults when it leaves the mill and when it is received at the distribution point. When old pipe is pulled out of a well to be re-used, it is inspected again. Think of it as a toll booth business, where the highway is the global oil & gas drilling business. The company also provides pipeline inspection services, although it has a lesser market share there.

Reason #2: The worldwide drilling fleet is in the process of being recapitalized right now. A lot of people seem to think that the recent growth in new rig construction is some sort of bubble that will pop. I do not. Certainly it could slow a bit from its recent pace, but the industry is going to be re-tooling for a long time. Most of the rigs in existence today were built in the early-1980s, if not earlier. The average age of the worldwide offshore rig fleet is 20+ years. Many are closing in on 30 years old. The story is pretty similar for onshore rigs. These rigs will not last forever. They weren't designed to. The rigs are put under too much physical stress to last indefinitely. While the drilling industry has done a decent job of refurbishing existing rigs to extend their lives, this cannot last indefinitely. We are in the early stages of a replacement cycle. But the best news is that if the industry does somehow come to the conclusion that it can continue to put band-aids on this equipment...National Oilwell sells the band-aids. And if the growth in demand for rigs continues, then the picture is just that much better.

Reason #3: National Oilwell continues to bring new products to market that are met with high demand. The products themselves are probably too boring to go into a lot of detail about, but suffice it to say that they either improve the economics for the customer or improve safety, or both. Several of these products are already certified homeruns, but have yet to top out in terms of market penetration.

Mix in some other nice businesses, a very strong backlog (providing some excellent short- to intermediate-term visibility), and a very strong maangement, and you have a great company.

I could also say a lot of good things about Schlumberger (SLB), but I will leave that for another time.

Here is one from one of the few areas I know anything about:National Oilwell Varco (NOV)They manufacture capital equipment and spare parts for drilling rigs. They also provide a range of other products and services to the oilfield. There are a few great reasons to like it, long term, nevermind that I see it as undervalued here.Reason #1: They have somehow been allowed to build virtual monopolies in a couple of key business lines. There are several kinds of components for drilling rigs where they have 75% market share or so. These are critical path items for the drilling contractors and they have no desire or incentive to try and save a few bucks from buying from some new entrant. NOV's aftermarket business servicing this equipment and providing spare parts for the equipment also provides a nice annuity stream for them. Margins on the aftermarket are actually stronger than on the new equipment too (think razors and razor blades). There are pretty good barriers to entry here and relatively high switching costs for the customer. They also have a virtual monopoly in tubulars inspection and coating. I know this sounds like the dullest business on the planet, it might actually be true, but it is a very good business. You don't have to know a lot about the oil and gas business to know that it uses a lot of different kinds of pipe. Several different kinds of pipe go into wells (drill pipe, casing, and production pipe) and then pipe is used to transport the oil and gas on the surface (line pipe). This pipe is inspected for faults when it leaves the mill and when it is received at the distribution point. When old pipe is pulled out of a well to be re-used, it is inspected again. Think of it as a toll booth business, where the highway is the global oil & gas drilling business. The company also provides pipeline inspection services, although it has a lesser market share there.Reason #2: The worldwide drilling fleet is in the process of being recapitalized right now. A lot of people seem to think that the recent growth in new rig construction is some sort of bubble that will pop. I do not. Certainly it could slow a bit from its recent pace, but the industry is going to be re-tooling for a long time. Most of the rigs in existence today were built in the early-1980s, if not earlier. The average age of the worldwide offshore rig fleet is 20+ years. Many are closing in on 30 years old. The story is pretty similar for onshore rigs. These rigs will not last forever. They weren't designed to. The rigs are put under too much physical stress to last indefinitely. While the drilling industry has done a decent job of refurbishing existing rigs to extend their lives, this cannot last indefinitely. We are in the early stages of a replacement cycle. But the best news is that if the industry does somehow come to the conclusion that it can continue to put band-aids on this equipment...National Oilwell sells the band-aids. And if the growth in demand for rigs continues, then the picture is just that much better.Reason #3: National Oilwell continues to bring new products to market that are met with high demand. The products themselves are probably too boring to go into a lot of detail about, but suffice it to say that they either improve the economics for the customer or improve safety, or both. Several of these products are already certified homeruns, but have yet to top out in terms of market penetration.Mix in some other nice businesses, a very strong backlog (providing some excellent short- to intermediate-term visibility), and a very strong maangement, and you have a great company.I could also say a lot of good things about Schlumberger (SLB), but I will leave that for another time.
Nice growth over the past six months, but they might be topping out. I like SLB better. My other O&G favs: NE, RIG, ATW, ANW, DO, ROSE, RDC, and my favorite sticker symbol: HERO.Got any insights on those?

Here is one from one of the few areas I know anything about:National Oilwell Varco (NOV)They manufacture capital equipment and spare parts for drilling rigs. They also provide a range of other products and services to the oilfield. There are a few great reasons to like it, long term, nevermind that I see it as undervalued here.Reason #1: They have somehow been allowed to build virtual monopolies in a couple of key business lines. There are several kinds of components for drilling rigs where they have 75% market share or so. These are critical path items for the drilling contractors and they have no desire or incentive to try and save a few bucks from buying from some new entrant. NOV's aftermarket business servicing this equipment and providing spare parts for the equipment also provides a nice annuity stream for them. Margins on the aftermarket are actually stronger than on the new equipment too (think razors and razor blades). There are pretty good barriers to entry here and relatively high switching costs for the customer. They also have a virtual monopoly in tubulars inspection and coating. I know this sounds like the dullest business on the planet, it might actually be true, but it is a very good business. You don't have to know a lot about the oil and gas business to know that it uses a lot of different kinds of pipe. Several different kinds of pipe go into wells (drill pipe, casing, and production pipe) and then pipe is used to transport the oil and gas on the surface (line pipe). This pipe is inspected for faults when it leaves the mill and when it is received at the distribution point. When old pipe is pulled out of a well to be re-used, it is inspected again. Think of it as a toll booth business, where the highway is the global oil & gas drilling business. The company also provides pipeline inspection services, although it has a lesser market share there.Reason #2: The worldwide drilling fleet is in the process of being recapitalized right now. A lot of people seem to think that the recent growth in new rig construction is some sort of bubble that will pop. I do not. Certainly it could slow a bit from its recent pace, but the industry is going to be re-tooling for a long time. Most of the rigs in existence today were built in the early-1980s, if not earlier. The average age of the worldwide offshore rig fleet is 20+ years. Many are closing in on 30 years old. The story is pretty similar for onshore rigs. These rigs will not last forever. They weren't designed to. The rigs are put under too much physical stress to last indefinitely. While the drilling industry has done a decent job of refurbishing existing rigs to extend their lives, this cannot last indefinitely. We are in the early stages of a replacement cycle. But the best news is that if the industry does somehow come to the conclusion that it can continue to put band-aids on this equipment...National Oilwell sells the band-aids. And if the growth in demand for rigs continues, then the picture is just that much better.Reason #3: National Oilwell continues to bring new products to market that are met with high demand. The products themselves are probably too boring to go into a lot of detail about, but suffice it to say that they either improve the economics for the customer or improve safety, or both. Several of these products are already certified homeruns, but have yet to top out in terms of market penetration.Mix in some other nice businesses, a very strong backlog (providing some excellent short- to intermediate-term visibility), and a very strong maangement, and you have a great company.I could also say a lot of good things about Schlumberger (SLB), but I will leave that for another time.
Nice growth over the past six months, but they might be topping out. I like SLB better. My other O&G favs: NE, RIG, ATW, ANW, DO, ROSE, RDC, and my favorite sticker symbol: HERO.Got any insights on those?
I don't know why you would say that about NOV, exactly, but it is a very consensus view right now, so you may be just going on what you have heard.Definitely like NE a lot. Excellent visibility and consistently strong execution. Market seems to be worried about their rig construction projects, but I have gotten a lot of comfort from management on the steps they are taking to mitigate the risk of cost overruns and delays. Their technical staff knows its stuff and knows how to manage projects. They are also a very good takeover candidate for somebody like Seadrill and could be an LBO candidate if management wasn't so deadset against it.DO is okay, as is RIG, though I think RIG is overpriced, relative to names like GSF, DO, and NE. RIG also has been extremely shaky (okay, poor) on its management of its operating costs. And RIG has a very poor track record of execution on new rig construction projects, and they have a few of those going on right now. The company also refuses to do the right thing with its capital structure (meaning add debt to buy back shares or pay out hefty dividends) but is also too scared of its own shadow to take any bold steps to acquire more assets and/or be an agent of further industry consolidation. Overall, I think they run the company like a bunch of old women. I guess I don't think RIG is okay. It could do fine, but I don't see it as outperforming its peers.Don't know a lot about ATW...it's too small for me to trade. Not so keen on RDC, even though it has been a laggard. It is just a consistently terribly run company. The (relatively) new CEO is a lot better than the old one, but he still ain't great. The company's operating costs are just way too high. They also have a lousy habit of taking on some dumb risks on the contracting side. And there investor relations guy is a shady ######## who whispers all of the good news weeks in advance, such that official announcements of good news never move the stock like they should. Actually, he leaks 150% of the good news, which is even worse. Not a lot to like about that stock or company, in my mind.ANW and ROSE are not in my area. Don't know what they are.HERO is an interesting situation. They have made a bold move at consolidating their business in the Gulf of Mexico with their acquisition of THE, but they also paid a hefty premium. And the business in the Gulf of Mexico might be stabilizing, but definitely isn't getting better. On the other hand, its cheap and run by a pretty solid management team (the COO is GREAT), so it could work out okay.Overall, if you own all of these stocks, I'd say you are way too concentrated in the offshore drillers right now. Assuming you like Oilfield Services overall, I would suggest looking at some service/equipment companies and dumping a few of those drillers.

I don't know why you would say that about NOV, exactly, but it is a very consensus view right now, so you may be just going on what you have heard.Definitely like NE a lot. Excellent visibility and consistently strong execution. Market seems to be worried about their rig construction projects, but I have gotten a lot of comfort from management on the steps they are taking to mitigate the risk of cost overruns and delays. Their technical staff knows its stuff and knows how to manage projects. They are also a very good takeover candidate for somebody like Seadrill and could be an LBO candidate if management wasn't so deadset against it.DO is okay, as is RIG, though I think RIG is overpriced, relative to names like GSF, DO, and NE. RIG also has been extremely shaky (okay, poor) on its management of its operating costs. And RIG has a very poor track record of execution on new rig construction projects, and they have a few of those going on right now. The company also refuses to do the right thing with its capital structure (meaning add debt to buy back shares or pay out hefty dividends) but is also too scared of its own shadow to take any bold steps to acquire more assets and/or be an agent of further industry consolidation. Overall, I think they run the company like a bunch of old women. I guess I don't think RIG is okay. It could do fine, but I don't see it as outperforming its peers.Don't know a lot about ATW...it's too small for me to trade. Not so keen on RDC, even though it has been a laggard. It is just a consistently terribly run company. The (relatively) new CEO is a lot better than the old one, but he still ain't great. The company's operating costs are just way too high. They also have a lousy habit of taking on some dumb risks on the contracting side. And there investor relations guy is a shady ######## who whispers all of the good news weeks in advance, such that official announcements of good news never move the stock like they should. Actually, he leaks 150% of the good news, which is even worse. Not a lot to like about that stock or company, in my mind.ANW and ROSE are not in my area. Don't know what they are.HERO is an interesting situation. They have made a bold move at consolidating their business in the Gulf of Mexico with their acquisition of THE, but they also paid a hefty premium. And the business in the Gulf of Mexico might be stabilizing, but definitely isn't getting better. On the other hand, its cheap and run by a pretty solid management team (the COO is GREAT), so it could work out okay.Overall, if you own all of these stocks, I'd say you are way too concentrated in the offshore drillers right now. Assuming you like Oilfield Services overall, I would suggest looking at some service/equipment companies and dumping a few of those drillers.
Not bad advice on your part. Thanks for some of the insights, and I will reconsider NOV. As for RIG, I bought it at $60, so I'm not complaining.I prefer the services stocks over the oil companies like OXY, as a little like you, I understand the business better, but I'm not inside. If you think I'm way too concentrated in offshore drillers right now though, you should see my mining stocks! ;) But I don't buy nto the diversification theory. I play sectors.

Anheuser Busch. When times are good people drink. When times are bad people drink. They can weather just about any cycle :banned:

National Oilwell Varco (NOV)EARNINGSEarnings Flash: A Monster Quarter• Earnings: NOV reported Q107 EPS of $1.55 versus consensus of$1.33 and our estimate of $1.29. Upside was driven primarily by betterthan expected revenues and margins in Rig Technology. See followingpage for variance analysis versus our model.• Rig Technology: Revenues of $1,219.8 MM 8% higher than projected,while margins of 22.0% were 200 basis points above our estimate, andreached levels we had modeled in for Q407. Higher pricing is clearlystarting to flow from the backlog to the bottom line, and margins arelikely to expand further in coming quarters.• Backlog: Grew to a record $6.4 billion in the quarter, up from $6.0 B inQ406, on strong inbound orders of $1.2 billion, $200 MM above ourforecast. Revenues out of backlog were $790 MM.• Petroleum, Service & Supplies: Revenues of $692 MM were 1.7%above expectations, while margins were in-line. A good quarter fromthe segment most exposed to North American weakness.• Distribution Services: Revenues of $351.9 MM and margins of 7.1%were 2.4% and 70 basis points below expectations, respectively.• Peak is Still in the Future: With orders still running well ahead ofrevenue out of backlog, it appears that peak revenues for RigTechnology are still well in the future, while continued margin expansionprovides upside to earnings as we move forward.• We will review our estimates after today's 10 AM central conferencecall. The dial in number is (303) 262-2052.
:rolleyes: :loco: :hot:

ORCL

They are on the verge of being a monopoly. They keep buying up small software application companies that are immediately profitable. Their software (RDBMS) is more robust than any on the market (read: Microsoft) and they continue to stay ahead of the curve... nobody will catch them in the near-to-distant future.

ORCL

They are on the verge of being a monopoly. They keep buying up small software application companies that are immediately profitable. Their software (RDBMS) is more robust than any on the market (read: Microsoft) and they continue to stay ahead of the curve... nobody will catch them in the near-to-distant future.
:rolleyes: SAP has the market share

ORCL

:goodposting: SAP has the market share
And what database does SAP run on?

By the way, I should say that my earlier comments are neither an offer to buy or sell securities in the companies mentioned, nor should they be construed as a stock recommendation. And past results are not necessarily indicative of future results.

:cya:

Users who are viewing this thread