What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

White's weight a concern (1 Viewer)

Alluro

Footballguy
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Areg...o&type=lgns

Multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports this week that Titans running back LenDale White weighed in at over 260 pounds earlier this month while working out in the team's offseason program. It's believed to be the heaviest White has been since entering the NFL last season, and underscores the physical conditioning concerns many believe contributed to the former USC back slipping to the second round of the 2006 NFL draft.

there was rumors about him being this big last year, and all of a sudden he showed up at a lean 230 lbs

LenDale White: Getting Fat - 3/28/2007 12:30:31 AM

Update:

White tipped the scales at more than 260 pounds earlier this month while working out in Tennessee's offseason program, underscoring the physical conditioning concerns that in part caused him to fall to the second round of the 2006 draft, Yahoo Sports reports.

Recommendation:

The Titans are looking to sign a free-agent running back to push White, who packed on 30 pounds this offseason. "[LenDale] is no different than any other young player," said coach Jeff Fisher. "He needs the competition. You don't hand the job to him. The job has not been handed to him. Hopefully we'll have somebody in there to compete with him."

http://www.rotowire.com/roto_to_gnews.htm?...5&sport=nfl

Glad they spent all that cap room getting a veteran backup like Duckett or Droughns to make sure they were covered. :confused:
Give it a few weeks. They're not done yet. White's a good player. If he gets in shape, he'll do fine. But this certainly isn't good news if it's true. Some guys just don't understand the work ethic part of being a big-time athlete. Hopefully he'll figure it out.

LOL, the team shows "confidence" (at least at this point) in him by not immediately signing a vet and letting Henry walk and White responds by eating tons of cheeseburgers. Work ethic was thought to be an issue when he was drafted and looks like it will continue to be. He's not a talented enough RB to go through the motions and not train as hard as the top RB's in the league. He better wise up quick.

One of the downfalls of many a highly ranked high school player is that they have always had it easy and been able to do what they wanted. If that continues in college, I think it's much less likely that a player will suddenly learn to become serious and dedicated in the NFL. It's certainly possible, but it's much better to see that happen in college. That's why "rumors" of guys being out of shape and having poor work ethics, like White last year and apparently Branch this year, will drop a player pretty quickly. Give me a player who works his tail off for the combine and Pro Days over a guy dogging it any day of the week. I'll deal with the occasional "train like Tarzan, play like Jane" types like Mamula.

A few things to consider:

- It's bad sign that his weight is up, but he's not much heavier than he was in the Rose Bowl, where he pretty much had his way with Texas and was impressive enough to get some people saying he was a better back than Bush.

- There's still plenty of time for him to get in shape.

- His body type means his weight is always going to be an issue. Bettis actually isn't a bad comparison from a purely physical standpoint. Both guys are naturally big. No amount of training is going to make them cut like the statue of David.

I still say Tennessee will add a back either via free agency or the draft, but I also maintain that White has plenty of talent to get the job done if he applies himself.

i googled lendale white & turkey, because i remembered he ate a lot of the narcolepsy-inducing bird over the holidays prior to rose bowl...

this site says he got up to 253 (but like it says, brings new meaning to the rushing description... "up the gut")...

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2006/0...uns-up-gut.html

in fairness, he did run pretty effectively at that weight...

lendale's 4 basic food groups... cheeseburgers, pizza, chocalate chip cookies & beer...

hopefully he can get this under control (there is a lot of time left), before he makes pete johnson look like todd pinkston...

Last edited by a moderator:
\- There's still plenty of time for him to get in shape.
Yeah, that particular body type is called FAT.Anyway, I don't think anyone is saying the guy is busting out, but he sure isn't developing good habits this early in his career to get 30+ pounds over weight in the off season.

- It's bad sign that his weight is up, but he's not much heavier than he was in the Rose Bowl, where he pretty much had his way with Texas and was impressive enough to get some people saying he was a better back than Bush.

- His body type means his weight is always going to be an issue. Bettis actually isn't a bad comparison from a purely physical standpoint. Both guys are naturally big. No amount of training is going to make them cut like the statue of David.

I still say Tennessee will add a back either via free agency or the draft, but I also maintain that White has plenty of talent to get the job done if he applies himself.
I don't think many people disagree with this. But think about how many guys that you could have said the same thing about didn't make it in the NFL. That is a VERY big if.

Likely both. The guy that called Chris Brown may have hit the nail on the head - provided he has not priced himself out of any starting/back up job and provided his pride will allow him to come back to TEN

Can a team put a weight clause into a contract?

ETA: Took out extra content.

I'm throwing in the towel on him. LenDale's second chance after last season's sub-optimal performance was staying in shape this offseason. That didn't happen. I'm trading him now while he's got some value as the perceived starter of the Titans.

If they are that concerned, then this just goes to show how bad the Titans are as an organization. They had Henry and C. Brown and they both left and now the only RB you have is one that you're worried that he can't even maintain his weight.

Good job Titans FO! :) :sarcasm:

If they are that concerned, then this just goes to show how bad the Titans are as an organization. They had Henry and C. Brown and they both left and now the only RB you have is one that you're worried that he can't even maintain his weight. Good job Titans FO! :thumbup: :sarcasm:
You're jumping the gun. Fisher says the team has a plan. If they draft Marshawn Lynch in the first round, will you change your tune? It's way too early to assume Tennessee has dropped the ball here. There's plenty of time for them to make some moves. RB is not an especially tough spot to fill.

If they are that concerned, then this just goes to show how bad the Titans are as an organization. They had Henry and C. Brown and they both left and now the only RB you have is one that you're worried that he can't even maintain his weight. Good job Titans FO! :lmao: :lmao:
You're jumping the gun. Fisher says the team has a plan. If they draft Marshawn Lynch in the first round, will you change your tune? It's way too early to assume Tennessee has dropped the ball here. There's plenty of time for them to make some moves. RB is not an especially tough spot to fill.
Unless Tennessee moves up, how will they draft Lynch? There is no way Lynch falls past Green Bay at #16. He might not even make it past Buffalo at #12.

Can a team put a weight clause into a contract?ETA: Took out extra content.
as far as i know, yes.i think mike williams pays the lions more than the lions pay him these days.we need lhucks in here to explain to us how these pac-10 guys are better at eating than anyone else. :lmao:

Definitely a concern that a guy that gets paid to run probably isn't running during the off-season. It's a simple and inexpensive exercise, one foot over the other and a fairly level surface.

Are players that wear three-digit jerseys eligible receivers?

When the QB says "go wide", that's not a body type recommendation....

if his coach was smart, he'd change the incentives in his contract to something like this-

Large Dominos Pizza for every rushing TD

12 Piece KFC bucket for every 50 yards rushing

2 Dozen KK Doughnuts bonus for every 100+ yard game

Fast Food Guy-- "Can I Help You?"

LenDale White-- "Yea, Can I get the love handles, double chin and some blubber."

Fast Food Guy-- "Do you want the Double Blubber?"

LenDale White-- "Sure."

Jared Lorenzen in Car with LenDale White -- "...and I'll have the same thing but instead of the blubber, can I get some thunder thighs and a Ba-Donk-A-Donk butt?"

EBF said:

No true at all. He might have to work harder then some to get lean, but might not be willing to do so, and saying that he can't cut the weight because of genetics is :angry: . Take Culpepper for example, when he wanted to drop the weight, he did it, but these types tend to fall off the wagon and start eating again.

Assuming the guy is back in shape by preseason, what does it matter? Although this seems like a good time to try and grab White in dynasty leagues why owners are worrying about his weight in March.

The radio in Nashville is shooting down any validity to this story.

John McLain (Houston Chronicle) is on the radio right now (104.5 the zone) disputing the yahoo story. Says he talked to Jeff and others at the facility today and there is ZERO validity to him reporting over his 'playing weight'...

I'm throwing in the towel on him. LenDale's second chance after last season's sub-optimal performance was staying in shape this offseason. That didn't happen. I'm trading him now while he's got some value as the perceived starter of the Titans.
:unsure: Go jump off a bridge then... I'm still riding this train and considering Fisher is saying the weight rumor is untrue and no significant FA has been brought in I think I'll be fine.

The radio in Nashville is shooting down any validity to this story.John McLain (Houston Chronicle) is on the radio right now (104.5 the zone) disputing the yahoo story. Says he talked to Jeff and others at the facility today and there is ZERO validity to him reporting over his 'playing weight'...
JM is more in the know w/ the Titans then most any other reporter with any other team. He told me that VY was going to Tennessee 48 hours before the draft last season and had the Williams to Houston story about 12 hours before anyone else. If he says the weight isn't an issue, it isn't an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread