#1 Limp Ditka

Limp Ditka

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,808 posts
  • Joined 06-September 05

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

I'm watching the Phillies / Astros game and everyone is wearing #42.

This is getting silly. Should we expect 60 days of this since it's the 60th anniversary?
I find your belief system.........fascinating.

but there are people in life, people you know in your own personal life Joe that just always seem to have a cloud over them. I try to distance myself form those folks as much as possible and I bet you do to.

Clearly, I am the not-bright one.

#2 Bottomfeeder Sports

Bottomfeeder Sports

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,686 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

I'm watching the Phillies / Astros game and everyone is wearing #42.This is getting silly. Should we expect 60 days of this since it's the 60th anniversary?

About a half dozen midatlantic and northeast games were rained out on the original date so those teams will be making up that event.

#3 Limp Ditka

Limp Ditka

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,808 posts
  • Joined 06-September 05

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

It's happening again.

but there are people in life, people you know in your own personal life Joe that just always seem to have a cloud over them. I try to distance myself form those folks as much as possible and I bet you do to.

#4 Homer @ RJ

Homer @ RJ

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:10 PM

I may be wrong but I think every team wears them at home once.

there's nothing funnier than shtick in the bathroom.

#5 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38,944 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

This is dumb. It should be one day. Not everyone first home game since April 15.
Only morons read signatures

#6 bweiser

bweiser

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,418 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :scared: :cry:

#7 Raider Nation

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71,079 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:50 PM

nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back.

Sucks that the guy who opened doors for countless minorities, and who endured filthy, incomprehensible insults and daily death threats, had to be so inconvenient as to ruin your experience of watching major league baseball on your HDTV. :kicksrock:

#1 fan of Walt Jr.

#8 bweiser

bweiser

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,418 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back.

Sucks that the guy who opened doors for countless minorities, and who endured filthy, incomprehensible insults and daily death threats, had to be so inconvenient as to ruin your experience of watching major league baseball on your HDTV.

:kicksrock:

he wasn't the only one.

#9 Limp Ditka

Limp Ditka

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,808 posts
  • Joined 06-September 05

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

Sucks that the guy who opened doors for countless minorities, and who endured filthy, incomprehensible insults and daily death threats, had to be so inconvenient as to ruin your experience of watching major league baseball on your HDTV.

he wasn't the only one.

Does this mean we're going to have Milton Bradley day in 50 years?

#10 Raider Nation

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71,079 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

he wasn't the only one.

Would we all have to do something stupid as a tribute?

#1 fan of Walt Jr.

#11 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38,944 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :goodposting: :excited:

lmao at hating jackie robinson day

#12 bweiser

bweiser

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,418 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :thumbup: :wall:

the announcer backed me up in the 9th inning of the game. cubs sent a pinch hitter to the on-deck circle and announcer says, 'well, they're all wearing 42, so can't really tell who it is.' oh, and let me change my original statement: i don't hate the day, i just hate the fact that they all wear 42. why not all wear brooklyn dodgers uniforms?

Edited by bweiser, 19 April 2010 - 06:30 PM.

#13 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38,944 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :thumbup: :wall:

the announcer backed me up in the 9th inning of the game. cubs sent a pinch hitter to the on-deck circle and announcer says, 'well, they're all wearing 42, so can't really tell who it is.' oh, and let me change my original statement: i don't hate the day, i just hate the fact that they all wear 42. why not all wear brooklyn dodgers uniforms?

its a slight inconvenience one game out of 162 for a great person that transcended generations. dont see the hate here. dont get spreading it out over different days but.

#14 cobalt_27

cobalt_27

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,129 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:40 PM

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :wall: :wall:

No kidding. Hard to get more petty than this. 42

take a gander to the left at my member number

#15 cobalt_27

cobalt_27

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,129 posts
  • Joined 11-April 03

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :wall: :wall:

All you have to do is open up a gametracker, if it's really bothering you not knowing who's out there.

Edited by cobalt_27, 19 April 2010 - 06:42 PM.

take a gander to the left at my member number

#16 meeka

meeka

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Joined 15-July 03

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :rant: :loco:

No way they were serious. I am pretty sure most baseball announcers know almost every player in the league and could tell them apart without numbers. Just a bad joke.

#17 bweiser

bweiser

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,418 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:51 AM

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :lmao: :lmao:

No way they were serious. I am pretty sure most baseball announcers know almost every player in the league and could tell them apart without numbers. Just a bad joke.

nope, he said, 'i think that's (i forget who) in the ondeck circle.' a few seconds later, it was, 'oh, sorry, its kosuke ####udome.'

#18 boubucarow

boubucarow

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,542 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

I don't get anyone's problem with this. You should know your own team and if you watch more baseball than that you shouldn't have much problem identifying most players. The teams that missed the chance to wear 42 did so when they got the chance. My only issue is that a player like Larry Doby isn't treated the same way despite breaking the barrier in the same year in the other league. At least the American League games should honor Doby with his number on the same day or every team should honor the first AA in their franchise history if their team reaches back that far. IMO, I don't think the segregation should ever be forgotten and honoring Robinson keeps those memories alive. Especially since the Dodgers did so before most of the nation was ready to have it happen.

#19 boubucarow

boubucarow

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9,542 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :shrug: :banned:

nope, he said, 'i think that's (i forget who) in the ondeck circle.' a few seconds later, it was, 'oh, sorry, its kosuke ####udome.'

Major problems with that announcer if he couldn't identify Kosuke.

#20 shadyridr

shadyridr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38,944 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :fishing: :thumbup:

So youre telling me we're supposed to believe he couldnt tell the one Japanese guy apart from the rest of the Cubs because he was #42?

#21 Limp Ditka

Limp Ditka

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,808 posts
  • Joined 06-September 05

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

Happy Jackie Robinson Fortnight

#22 Limp Ditka

Limp Ditka

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,808 posts
  • Joined 06-September 05

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

Jackie's probably rolling over in his grave watching a piece of garbage like A Rod wearing his number in his honor.

#23 Buffaloes

Buffaloes

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,803 posts
  • Joined 14-July 08

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

he wasn't the only one.

Mandatory earplugs instead of a 42 for the home team?

I would like to put my foot through the internet and kick you in the balls for that.

#24 Raider Nation

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71,079 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Lotta 42s out there.

#1 fan of Walt Jr.

#25 coolnerd

coolnerd

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,051 posts
  • Joined 17-April 03

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

I think it would not kill major baseball to at least put the name of the back of the jersey.

It's all different degrees of nerdplay. Just embrace it. (Neil Beaufort Zod @ Jul 30 2009, 11:20 PM)
But calling other people "nerds" is distinguished and dignified (John 14:6 @ Oct 28 2009, 04:54 PM)

I never understood nerd humor (Brewtown @ Feb 24 2014)

#26 bweiser

bweiser

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,418 posts
  • Joined 09-October 03

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

two years later, i stand by my assessment: it's nice to honor jackie robinson, but find another way.

#27 Raider Nation

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71,079 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

two years later, i stand by my assessment: it's nice to honor jackie robinson, but find another way.

I just think MLB doesn't realize how much you are opposed to this.

#1 fan of Walt Jr.

#28 Limp Ditka

Limp Ditka

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,808 posts
  • Joined 06-September 05

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

Jackie's probably rolling over in his grave watching a piece of garbage like A Rod wearing his number in his honor.

:goodposting:

#29 Bogart

Bogart

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,493 posts
  • Joined 16-April 03

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

My 42s beat your 42s yesterday.

#30 Limp Ditka

Limp Ditka

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27,808 posts
  • Joined 06-September 05

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

This thing's going to last as long as Hanukkah, right?  

#31 dgreen

dgreen

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,840 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

why not all wear brooklyn dodgers uniforms?

Then how do we know which team is batting and which team is in the field?  How will know who won?!?!?!?!

#32 Raider Nation

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71,079 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

Lotta 42s out there.

:goodposting:

#1 fan of Walt Jr.

#33 rockaction

rockaction

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,761 posts
  • Joined 09-September 11

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

i don't want to seem racist, but i hate jackie robinson day. i get it. he was influential, brave, heroic, all that crap. have 1 player wear his number. nothing worse than changing channels and seeing no. 42 hit a homer and have no idea who it was because EVERYONE is wearing 42 without a name on the back. :fishing: :thumbup:

So youre telling me we're supposed to believe he couldnt tell the one Japanese guy apart from the rest of the Cubs because he was #42?

Reading this thread, I was sort of struck by that also.  Wait, what?   :lol:

sorry if this is wrong forums but david could you ask mike herbin if he would trade succop for birongas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users