What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Dynasty League (1 Viewer)

IHEARTFF

Footballguy
Hey guys, I just found this site today while doing a search for IDP. Awesome site!

Anyway, my friends and I have been playing fantasy football for about 10 years. We have decided to take the best guys we have from 2 or 3 different leagues and we're forming a dynasty league. This is definitely the next step we need to take in fantasy. 3 of us have been doing some research to determine everything about the league.

It's going to be a 12 team league. We have the 12 players. We are going to have a live auction draft sometime this summer. We are using IDP for the first time as well, to complicate things. We have an idea for a starting lineup and a salary cap. But we have more work to do.

I am asking this forum for assistance with scoring for IDP's. Our tentative lineup is 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE/WR flex, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB's, 1 LB/DB flex spot. I was thinking maybe:

tackles = 1

sacks = 2

forced fumble = 2

fumble recovery = 2

interception = 3

safety = 3

blocked kick = 3

touchdown = 6

Would that work effectively as a scoring system? Is there a more universal system we should use?

My other line of questioning is about our initial draft. Should we have 2 seperate auctions, 1 for offense and 1 for defense? If we combine into 1 draft, are there some good rankings available for that? Thanks!

We use

Forced Fumbles 2

Interceptions Caught 3

Interception Return Yards .04 points each

Passes Defensed 1 point each

Tackles 2 points each

Assists 1 point each

Sacked a QB 3 points each

Safeties 5 points each

Number of Defensive TDs 6 points each

Number of Blocked Field Goal TDs 6 points each

Number of Blocked Punt TDs 6 points each

If you want crazy stats..

Rules for DT, DE Event Range (Low-High) Points Test?

Tackles 1-99 2 points each Test

Tackles 4-99 3 Test

Assists 0-99 1 point each Test

Assists 4-99 1 Test

Rules for DT, DE, LB, CB, S Event Range (Low-High) Points Test?

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 0-10 3 points each Test

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 2-10 2 Test

Forced Fumbles 0-10 3 points each Test

Forced Fumbles 2-10 2 Test

Interceptions Caught 0-10 4 points each Test

Interceptions Caught 2-10 2 Test

Passes Defensed 0-99 1 point each Test

Passes Defensed 3-99 1 Test

Blocked Field Goals 0-10 3 points each Test

Blocked Punts 0-10 3 points each Test

Blocked Extra Points 0-10 3 points each Test

Sacked a QB 0-10 3 points each Test

Sacked a QB 2-10 2 Test

Sacked a QB Yardage 0-100 .2 point for every 1 Test

Safeties 0-10 3 points each Test

Length of Defensive/Special Teams TDs 0-39 6 Test

Length of Defensive/Special Teams TDs 40-110 9 Test

Rules for LB, CB, S Event Range (Low-High) Points Test?

Tackles 0-99 2 points each Test

Tackles 6-99 3 Test

Assists 0-99 1 point each Test

Assists 6-99 1 Test

heres the link to the site.. I'm a scoring guru

http://football8.myfantasyleague.com/2007/...=55418&O=09

Last edited by a moderator:
that is kind of a hard question to answer without first knowing your offensive scoring, because you dont (IMO) want to make the defense worth too much, but you also dont want to make it worth too little.

Here is a scoring system we use in several leagues for IDP

Tackle 2

assist 1

ff 3

fr 4

int 4

sack 2 per 1/2

safety 4 per half

PD 1

TD's 6

I dont know what you use for software but if you use MFL, actually even if you dont you could set up a league there for free right now I believe, and play with the scoring of the league using the previous years stats and see what happens when you change point values.

As for seperate drafts, I guess that depends on you guys, since it sounds like you are going to use an auction, I really dont think it matters, however if you combine the two and do it live it would make it more challenging I think. It would surely make you keep better track of your salary cap and budget if done live.

Sounds like you guys pretty much got it together, but like I said I would play with the scoring and see exactly what it is you want to accomplish, whether it be to make LB's equal to RB's, or pretty much make all players about the same value pointwise, many ways to do it, just come up with what it is you guys are looking for and have fun.

Welcome to the Forum. :lmao:

In general, the best way to set up an IDP league correctly from the beginning IMO...

Step 1: Decide how much you want IDPs (in general) to be worth. Do you want them equal to offensive players in value? 60-40 off/def split? 55-45? Do you want a top LB to equal a mid RB1/WR1 or a RB2?

Step 2: Decide what type of IDP you want valued. Do you want a big play league where sacks, fumble plays, and coverage stats are rewarded highly? Do you want a league where steady tacklers are favored? Would you prefer a balanced approach?

Step 3: Decide how deep an IDP league you want. Do you want to start just a couple players at a couple positions or a full 11 man defense? Do you want a more advanced system with DT and CB broken into separate positions?

Step 4: Decide if you want the DL/LB/DB positions roughly equal in value or staggered a bit like the QB/RB/WR/TE position and what the relative values should be.

Step 5: Make a sham MFL league and play with the scoring system until you get a system where the players are ranked in relative value within and across positions where you want them. You could play with Excel spreadsheets after downloading stats, but MFL may be easier.

If you're doing a dynasty/cap league, it will be nearly impossible to make major changes after the auction starts. Your tentative plan of a 12 team league with seven defensive starters is pretty standard. Just be sure that you don't want more defensive starters and/or the DT/CB breakdown before you start.

The scoring system you listed is fine. Unless your offensive scoring is relatively minimal (no PPR, 4pt passing TD, etc), it'll probably keep IDP value down with a total offense - total defense split close to 60-40. Few IDPs, if any, will break the top 50 players. That system will also favor players who make tackles over big plays. In general, systems where sacks = 3x tackles are considered relatively well balanced. Less than that for sacks and interceptions decrease big play value. Big play leagues award as many as 5x tackle points for those categories. You may also consider including assisted tackles (at a rate of half solo tackle) and passes defended (routinely = solo tackle).

If you give us an idea of how you see Step 1-4 breaking down, as twoforme suggested, we can help tailor the system for you. Or just play with the sham MFL league until you see the numbers you want.

And I'd strongly favor combining the offensive/defensive auctions into one. Rankings for that would be difficult, though, as it isn't often that you finish an auction under the gameplan you started with in my experience. I'd look at the rankings FBG provides, decide on tiers (using Norton's projections if it helps) and then try to stick to a gameplan. For example, I want X stud(s) and X position(s) and am okay with grabbing value at X position(s). Your leaguemates are going to ridiculously overpay for certain players and positions early. It always happens. You'll have to tailor your strategy around that or to that if you wish. Know that the cap values are going to look crazy the first couple of seasons as a result. Players within your tiers are going to have wildly different salaries.

IDP/dynasty leagues are the only way to play. Cap leagues are excellent advanced strategy. You've got the right idea about doing it right the first time so I'd strongly suggest putting in the time to consider the steps above.

Jene's right on - listen to him. He really hit all the big points IMO. Personally, I favor:

combining all players into one auction

going for a 1/3 tackle/bigplay ratio

having consistent scoring for all IDPs (no 3 points for a DL sack and 4 for an LB sack)

requiring a DT and a CB

including return yards (1/20 punt or turnover, 1/30 kickoff)

giving 0.5 per assist

Since you found this site and your leaguemates haven't, you could consider using the FBG scoring system in order to make their rankings more applicable to your league.

A lot of the people you'll read things from assume Zealots scoring - there are 48 12-team dynasty leagues with the same rules, so most IDP psychos are in at least one of those leagues. You can find their scoring at www.zealotsfield.com, I think.

Welcome to FBG! Its like finding a treasure chest!

In my dynasty league I wanted defensive players to roughly equal offensive players.

My defensive scoring:

-Solo Tackles 2 points

- Assisted Tackles 1 point

- Sacks 4 points

- Half Sacks 2 points

- Pass Defensed 2 points

- Interceptions 5 points

- Touchdowns 6 points

- Forced Fumbles/Fumbles Recovered 3 points

It is a 16 team league and we start 3DL/3LB/3DB

- Safeties 5 points

I play in a league that seperates the corners from the safeties, and I love it, personally. They seperate the DT from DE as well, but it's tough getting consistent points from more than 3 or 4 DTs regularly.

But by seperating the corner position, it's an advantage for the guy that does his homework. Grabbing that Cover 2 corner that racks up consistent tackle numbers, or the guy who doubles as a punt returner can really help your team. I lost the title game a year ago because of Terrence McGee.

Thank you all so much for the helpful responses. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I have been out of town. This will be valuable info for our next meeting to continue the set-up of our league. I will ask some more detailed questions later, just wanted to give a quick reply now that I'm home.

This still the standard scoring? I want to make sure it won't make the defensive guys too strong nor will it make them irrelevant because the offensive guys rack up so much.

This still the standard scoring? I want to make sure it won't make the defensive guys too strong nor will it make them irrelevant because the offensive guys rack up so much.
You mean his scoring from the original post?I think he has sacks too low on there.

You mean his scoring from the original post?I think he has sacks too low on there.
I noticed that and should've been more clear. I took Jene's advice and changed the sacks to 3 points. And added 1 point per deflected pass.Aside from that I used the OP's scoring system. I noticed that doesn't really make anyone a stud (perhaps within their respective position but not overall).Though that seems to be fairly standard. I was simply surprised to see the defense so incredibly low when compared to the offense.

I noticed that and should've been more clear. I took Jene's advice and changed the sacks to 3 points. And added 1 point per deflected pass.Aside from that I used the OP's scoring system. I noticed that doesn't really make anyone a stud (perhaps within their respective position but not overall).Though that seems to be fairly standard. I was simply surprised to see the defense so incredibly low when compared to the offense.
It doesn't have to be standard. Many of the posters here play in Zealots Field leagues, which are awesome, but I think that scoring system really undervalues IDPs.I'd play around with a sham MFL league and change the scoring parameters until you get a distribution within the top 25, 50, 100 that you like.Nearly every league I play in awards at least 1.5pts/solo, 0.75/assist, 4-5/sack and solid coverage stats. You can get IDPs throughout the top 25 and 50 with 1.5/solo, 5/sack with 0.1-0.2 pts/sack yd, 3 FF/FR, 5/INT and 1.5/PD. There's room to bump all those numbers if you're giving a lot of bonuses to offensive players. Plenty of leagues use 2/solo, 1/assist with appropriate bumps for the other categories.There really is no standard IDP system.

Users who are viewing this thread