Andy Dufresne

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69,606 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

'Valedictorian' vanishing from grads' vocabularies

After next week, Eden Prairie High School will no longer name valedictorians. It's the latest school to abandon the time-tested title in favor of a different honors system.

By Patrice Relerford, Star Tribune

Last update: May 29, 2007 1:20 PM

When Jennifer Nicklay, 18, and Eden Prairie High School's 22 other valedictorians walk across the stage and shake Principal Conn McCartan's hand next week, they'll be the last Eden Prairie graduates to receive the prestigious titles.

Nancy Nicklay, Jennifer's mother, said her daughter and other valedictorians listed on the 2007 graduation program never settled for anything less than excellence.

That's why the longtime Eden Prairie resident said she's not sure if the school district made the right call when it decided to nix the honor, for the students with the highest grade-point average, after this year.

"I'm not comfortable with this," Nancy Nicklay said. "We have a lot of kids who focus on academics in this district."

From now on, Eden Prairie will grant "honors" diplomas to students who take at least six advanced courses with a high overall GPA. School officials said the new system allows for broader recognition.

"In the past, there might be students who weren't on that stage who took more rigorous courses than valedictorians and salutatorians," McCartan said. "This expands the number of kids that we can honor."

Putting it in perspective

Maple Grove Senior High School in the Osseo School District stopped naming valedictorians and salutatorians years ago.

Instead, Principal Wendy Loberg said Maple Grove recognizes students who took honors or other rigorous courses and those with 4.0 GPAs -- on an unweighted scale -- at its graduation ceremony.

Eden Prairie's neighbor, the Minnetonka School District, will continue to name valedictorians and salutatorians after this year, but two years ago switched to weighted grades -- assigning more value to grades earned in Advanced Placement, college credit or other honors courses, spokeswoman Janet Swiecichowski said.

Swiecichowski said the Minnetonka school board will review its academic honors in the coming months.

Eden Prairie doesn't weight grades for advanced courses. Recognizing students who've taken six or more AP or college credit classes with an "honors" diploma will reward those students for their extra effort, McCartan said.

He said the decision to eliminate "vals and sals" was made three years ago but won't be implemented until next year so students and parents had enough notice.

A new system

Instead, students who completed six or more AP or College in the Schools courses and have GPAs of 3.5 or higher will get "honors" diplomas. Those who have GPAs of 3.9 and up, regardless of AP classes, will get gold cords to wear at graduation, and those with 3.75 to 3.89 GPAs will get silver cords.

Thomas Guskey, a University of Kentucky education professor, said naming valedictorians is a policy many schools continue because "we've always done it that way."

Guskey has done research on grading policies that work against maintaining the highest academic standards.

"I'm all for recognizing achievement and believe there are lots of valid reasons for doing so," Guskey said. "But I also believe that the process requires that we define what excellence really means in terms of explicit, rigorous achievement criteria, rather than in terms of standing among classmates."

A valedictorian's thoughts

Jennifer Nicklay said the district's new honors diploma system is good because it will honor more students, but she doesn't think it goes far enough in recognizing students who decided to take classes off site.

During her last three semesters of high school, Nicklay has taken courses at Normandale Community College.

"I was so ready to leave high school," she said.

The 18-year-old will attend the University of Minnesota in the fall and plans to study biology. She said taking colleges at Normandale or the U has helped her and other students stay engaged during their final years of high school.

"We all said we would still do it the same way even if we wouldn't graduate with honors," Nicklay said.

:lmao:

Edited by Andy Dufresne, 29 May 2007 - 12:09 PM.

|OO===|==|===V===|==|===OO|

Trolls are making the internet no fun for anybody.

#2 BeTheMatch

BeTheMatch

Let it burn!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,012 posts
  • Joined 31-January 05

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:11 PM

Where do you get "everyone is special" from this? They're still honoring the top students based on GPA, which limits the number of those honored.

#3 Sabertooth

Sabertooth

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21,198 posts
  • Joined 06-May 03

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:11 PM

Nice. This is going to be TEOTWAWKI. Political correctness run amok!

#4 Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69,606 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:14 PM

Where do you get "everyone is special" from this? They're still honoring the top students based on GPA, which limits the number of those honored.

It's still more of a collectivist mindset. I guess I just like the idea of recognizing individual achievement more than classifying a certain subset into a "group" receiving honors.

#5 BeTheMatch

BeTheMatch

Let it burn!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,012 posts
  • Joined 31-January 05

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

It's still more of a collectivist mindset. I guess I just like the idea of recognizing individual achievement more than classifying a certain subset into a "group" receiving honors.

Gotcha. I don't know too much about it, but it seems like some are saying - and the reason behind the change possibly is that - just blindly giving the award to the top GPA doesn't take into account the difficulty of the classes taken.

#6 BroadwayG

BroadwayG

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,852 posts
  • Joined 28-May 04
  • Interests:Oh, I don't know. Play chess... screw...

"22 other valedictorians"

Seems like it's not too big of a deal in the first place.
}=O)

#7 Black Box

Black Box

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,246 posts
  • Joined 20-April 06

Where did they get the idea that these things are mutually exclusive? Just give out the val honor to the highest, and give out honors for whatever other criteria they want (6 AP courses, etc, etc). I don't get it.

#8 shining path

shining path

:prettyplease:

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, I don't really see why this is a big deal regardless of how hypersensitive you are toward "political correctness".
I was a poor white trash Pookie.

#9 Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69,606 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Gotcha. I don't know too much about it, but it seems like some are saying - and the reason behind the change possibly is that - just blindly giving the award to the top GPA doesn't take into account the difficulty of the classes taken.

And that I kind of agree with. But I think you can do both. You can recognize a group of top students and still recognize THE top 1 or 2 individual students as well.

#10 shining path

shining path

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Where did they get the idea that these things are mutually exclusive? Just give out the val honor to the highest, and give out honors for whatever other criteria they want (6 AP courses, etc, etc). I don't get it.

True. Asian kids need school recognition too.

#11 Nomad

Nomad

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Joined 17-April 03

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

Our high school (New Jersey, Mid '80's) just weighted the honors or Advanced Placement (AP) courses by 10% when figuring out overall GPA. A 'B' in a normal class was worth 3.0, while in an AP class it was worth 3.3 when determining overall GPA, for example. Seemed, and seems, fair enough to me.

#12 TheIronSheik

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20,796 posts
  • Joined 02-November 04

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

EVERYBODY'S SPECIAL!

So everyone in that high school is taking special ed classes essentially? :unsure:

Kind regards,

Sheik

Phone: 785-273-0325

#13 Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69,606 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

EVERYBODY'S SPECIAL!

So everyone in that high school is taking special ed classes essentially? :unsure:

Well we wouldn't want someone driving around WITHOUT a "My kid is an honor student at _____ School" now would we? They might feel bad and left out.

#14 shining path

shining path

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

Our high school (New Jersey, Mid '80's) just weighted the honors or Advanced Placement (AP) courses by 10% when figuring out overall GPA. A 'B' in a normal class was worth 3.0, while in an AP class it was worth 3.3 when determining overall GPA, for example. Seemed, and seems, fair enough to me.

Same time period, but my high school gave a full point weighting to honors and AP classes.

#15 Darth Cheney

Darth Cheney

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,614 posts
  • Joined 20-August 04

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

23 valedictorians for one school? Minnesota is a crazy place.
360 Gamer Tag SCUTTFARKAS

#16 Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69,606 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

We're just all that much smarter than the rest of you.And here you thought it was just me. :unsure:

#17 Darth Cheney

Darth Cheney

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,614 posts
  • Joined 20-August 04

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:13 PM

We're just all that much smarter than the rest of you.And here you thought it was just me. :unsure:

That's just cooky talk.
360 Gamer Tag SCUTTFARKAS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users