What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Master Grilling/Smoking/BBQ Thread (1 Viewer)

shuke

Black Ice Skeptic
General

Grilling season is here (TheFanatic) - lots of good info in this very long thread.

***The Official 2009 Grilling Season Thread***, Time to start anew (TheFanatic)

Techniques

BBQ-To soak or not to soak your wood chips, Bringing back the lost thread (Simris)

Offset Smokers, Do you use one? (Seymour Corn)

Getting a smoker for Christmas, but, I need some pointers (Tar Heel Boy)

Big Green Egg Grill, help/tips/tricks appreciated (Tat)

Grill Questions, A noobs quest for grillery (Big B)

Smoking on a gas grill, A few questions (shuke)

Not having much luck with my first time smoking food, Need more advice (Tar Heel Boy)

The Winter Bar B Que, Do you grill year round? (Chemical X)

Using Cast Iron Skillett on your grill., Do you? (Seymour Corn)

BBQ grill maintenance question (Sagan)

Weber Silver B owners, What temp do you get with one burner on (jagbag)

Grill cleaning untensils, What kind of brush do you use ? (jagbag)

BBQ Grilling Solutions, A Query (Jayrok)

Help me BBQ (AcerFC)

Teach me how to grill burgers, mine suck (Afro Samurai)

BBQers, A little help (Megla)

Proper BBQ smoking (ragincajun)

Grilling with planks (Shrek)

Purchasing/Making Grills

Buying a new gas grill this weekend., What is everyone using out there? (dlos)

Looking at buying a smoker, any suggestions.... (phowler13)

Looking for a new grill in the $300-400 range, watcha got? (shuke)

Is this a good grill, Weber Genisis B (ditka...mike ditka)

Gas Grills, What to buy? (e-mom)

Grill alternatives, small, portable etc (flapgreen)

Building a Charcoal Grill, from a 55 Gallon Drum (Stoneys)

Guys, I'm in the market for a new grill, best grill / price combo please log in! (RKMoney)

Help Needed: Grill Shopping, Willing to spend +/- $1000 (JerseyToughGuys)

The Holland Grill, Anybody have one? (Schmegma)

SMOKERS : Alternative to Big Green Egg, Looking for good smoker comparable to BGE Options Track this topic ([icon])

I need a new Gas Grill., Help me out. (Sammy B)

Good budget BBQ smoker?, Ideas (Mad Cow)

Outdoor Kitchen Guys, thinking of installing one (Verbal Kint)

Recipes/How-to

Saturday BBQ, w/ updated pics on page 2 (E-Z Glider)

Ribs, Ribs, Ribs..., All ribs, all the time (offshoot of Smokin' Joes Thread) (TheFanatic)

Smoking Joe's BBQ In Process - With Pics, Chicken (Joe Bryant)

Another rib thread (skrzycki)

Got a new Smoker for Christmas, help me with my first time (Edgefan)

Grilling Ribs, Any tips/recipes? (skillz)

Help me Smoke a Turkey, Looking for the experts (JerseyToughGuys)

Next Week I Will Attempt the Perfect Ribs (Mr. Ham)

Give me your best chicken marinade, For grilling (Polish Hammer)

I've got a couple of thick cut pork chops ready to go, seasoning/prep advice? (fluorophore)

Post Your Lobster Tail Grilling Tips Here (chet)

Grilled Salmon, Any good recipes? (Spanky24)

Filet Mignon experts needed. (Da Guru)

I want to buy some authentic Mempis or KC Ribs, Falling of the bone good! (skrzycki)

Salmon Recipes, Whatcha got?? (Polish Hammer)

Chicken recipes on the grill (reg)

Ahi Tuna Steaks, tell me how to cook them (Dentist)

Corn on the cob, On the grill - best way to cook? (Sack-Religious)

What do you puy in your hamburgers, talking ingredients (The Dude)

What's on the grill today? (TylerRoseFan)

Pork Chops Help (Marc Levin)

Anyone have a good brisket recipe?, Looking to cook in the oven. (pgreenfan)

Pulled Pork Recipes (The Dude)

Smoking Joe's, Grilled Boneless Chicken Breast (Joe Bryant)

Smoking Joe's, Brisket Smoked On The Weber (Joe Bryant)

Grilling vegetables/sides (shuke)

HTF do you grill chicken without burning it? (shadyridr)

How to smoke a pork shoulder/butt for pulled pork? (andy_b)

Need some quick help, on smoking chicken wings (Marc Levin)

What's on the grill today, Pulled pork (TylerRoseFan)

Need help with beer butt chicken, on a charcoal grill (flyingsushi)

Books

Best BBQ Book, spinoff of all of these BBQ recipes (Usual21)

Last edited by a moderator:
Placeholder - links to external sites

OK, since we're talking grilling and recipes I'll start off with one that I'm doing tonight.

Stuffed Tomatoes

Ingredients:

Vine Ripened Tomatoes (very ripe) – 1 or two per person depending no appetites

Stuffing:

Shredded Cheese (your choice) - 1 lb

Grated Cheese - 1/2 cup

Itilian Parsley - 2-3 TBLS

Garlic - 2-3 heaping TBLS

Oregano - 1 tsp

Bread Crumbs – enough to bind it all

Olive Oil – 1/3 –1/2 cup

Salt – couple pinches

Black Pepper – a few cranks of the grinder

I have no idea in what quantities I use because I make a huge batch that is good for about 18 tomatoes and then just throw the rest in the freezer, but I will try.

I'm doing this from memory because I made these a few weeks ago and am using the frozen leftover stuffing tonight.

I used about a pound of good mozzarella cheese. I've used smoked mozzarella and smoked cheddar in the past. Both are good. Add 2-3 heaping TBLS of fresh garlic. 2 TBLS of diced Italian parsley. 1/2 cup of grated hard cheese like Romano, Asiago, Parm, etc. Put in a good teaspoon of Oregano. 1/3 to 1/2 cup of olive oil and enough bread crumbs to bind it all together. It should be sort of the texture of hamburger, maybe a little wetter. If it's too dry, add more olive oil. Too wet, add more bread crumbs. Add a couple pinches of salt and a few turn of the pepper grinder. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.

Make sure your tomatoes are really ripe. I buy them a couple days out and put them in a paper bag to get them good and ripe. Slice off the top 1/2 inch of the tomato and set the top aside. Take a melon baller and remove the soft and liquid contents of the tomato into the trash can. Once it is cleaned out nicely spoon in the stuffing mixture and pack it down. When full of the mixture place the top back on the tomato.

Cooking Directions:

These require a two zone cooking method. Coals on one side of the grill, no coals on the other side.

Place the tomatoes just off the edge coals and put the lid down on the grill and close the vents almost completely. The idea is to bake these things. After a few minutes rotate the tomatoes 180 degrees so the other sides are now facing the heat. When the outside of the tomatoes start to get soft all the way around pull them off. Another couple of minutes and they will lose all shape and will no longer be able to hold the cheese in. (if this happens, don’t worry they still taste great they just look like someone tried to make a tomato/cheese pancake). Place on plate, remove top and devour...

ETA the oregano.

I'll try to organize these later.

BBQ-To soak or not to soak your wood chips, Bringing back the lost thread (Simris)

Buying a new gas grill this weekend., What is everyone using out there? (dlos)

Best BBQ Book, spinoff of all of these BBQ recipes (Usual21)

Saturday BBQ, w/ updated pics on page 2 (E-Z Glider)

Looking for a new grill in the $300-400 range, watcha got? (shuke)

Offset Smokers, Do you use one? (Seymour Corn)

Getting a smoker for Christmas, but, I need some pointers (Tar Heel Boy)

Ribs, Ribs, Ribs..., All ribs, all the time (offshoot of Smokin' Joes Thread) (TheFanatic)

Smoking Joe's BBQ In Process - With Pics, Chicken (Joe Bryant)

Another rib thread (skrzycki)

Grill Questions, A noobs quest for grillery (Big B)

Big Green Egg Grill, help/tips/tricks appreciated (Tat)

Got a new Smoker for Christmas, help me with my first time (Edgefan)

Grilling Ribs, Any tips/recipes? (skillz)

Help me Smoke a Turkey, Looking for the experts (JerseyToughGuys)

Next Week I Will Attempt the Perfect Ribs (Mr. Ham)

Give me your best chicken marinade, For grilling (Polish Hammer)

I've got a couple of thick cut pork chops ready to go, seasoning/prep advice? (fluorophore)

BBQ Grilling Solutions, A Query (Jayrok)

Post Your Lobster Tail Grilling Tips Here (chet)

Is this a good grill, Weber Genisis B (ditka...mike ditka)

I want to buy some authentic Mempis or KC Ribs, Falling of the bone good! (skrzycki)

Grilled Salmon, Any good recipes? (Spanky24)

Filet Mignon experts needed. (Da Guru)

Smoking on a gas grill, A few questions (shuke)

Not having much luck with my first time smoking food, Need more advice (Tar Heel Boy)

The Winter Bar B Que, Do you grill year round? (Chemical X)

Using Cast Iron Skillett on your grill., Do you? (Seymour Corn)

BBQ grill maintenance question (Sagan)

Salmon Recipes, Whatcha got?? (Polish Hammer)

Chicken recipes on the grill (reg)

Ahi Tuna Steaks, tell me how to cook them (Dentist)

Gas Grills, What to buy? (e-mom)

Corn on the cob, On the grill - best way to cook? (Sack-Religious)

What do you puy in your hamburgers, talking ingredients (The Dude)

Weber Silver B owners, What temp do you get with one burner on (jagbag)

Grill alternatives, small, portable etc (flapgreen)

Building a Charcoal Grill, from a 55 Gallon Drum (Stoneys)

Guys, I'm in the market for a new grill, best grill / price combo please log in! (RKMoney)

What's on the grill today? (TylerRoseFan)

Help Needed: Grill Shopping, Willing to spend +/- $1000 (JerseyToughGuys)

Pork Chops Help (Marc Levin)

Grill cleaning untensils, What kind of brush do you use ? (jagbag)
Dude this rocks!!!Many many thanks!!

Just got done reading the Big Green Egg thread which I never saw on here before.

Great work Shuke, this thread deserves a major STICKY

Have dinner quests tonight as well, then some drinks out on the town.

On the menu

Loaf of Whitemountain bread hollowed (pull the middle out in even pieces and save for dipping) filled with spinach dip.

Smoked Jalapeno peppers

split, seeded and stuffed with chedder and cream cheese, smoke till skin blackens

maplebacon wrapped scallops smoked in pecan with a light sprinkling of Old bay and occasionally sprayed with melted butter

Blackened Mahi Mahi again over pecan served with rice and steamed veggies (squash, carrots, broccoli and sweet peas) cooked along side the rest of the meal in foil with the top open to allow some smoking, covered in light EVOO and some Italian spices.

Oh, and great job on this thread, much KUDOS

Too cool.

Doing beer can chicken tonight using apple juice and caraway with Mesquite smoke.

Try it you'll like it.

how long to broil a steak?

gonna throw some teriyaki on it and was told to broil it til done. though these are tenderloins so maybe broiling isn't the best idea????

how long to broil a steak?gonna throw some teriyaki on it and was told to broil it til done. though these are tenderloins so maybe broiling isn't the best idea????
A whole beef tenderloin?Or are we talking a london broil?
couple 8oz steaks. nothing fancy.
If its from a tenderloin ( filet migon) and they are roughly 1 to 1 and half inch thick, I suggest searing them in a pan for @ 3 minutes each side, coat with salt and pepper, then sear., then place in the oven till the temp reaches bout 120 degrees, broiling heat would get you there fast, 10 to 12 minutes. If you dio not sear this and just broil this is going to be very dry meat.

how long to broil a steak?gonna throw some teriyaki on it and was told to broil it til done. though these are tenderloins so maybe broiling isn't the best idea????
If its from a tenderloin ( filet migon) and they are roughly 1 to 1 and half inch thick, I suggest searing them in a pan for @ 3 minutes each side, coat with salt and pepper, then sear., then place in the oven till the temp reaches bout 120 degrees, broiling heat would get you there fast, 10 to 12 minutes. If you dio not sear this and just broil this is going to be very dry meat.
notedthanks :banned:

how long to broil a steak?

gonna throw some teriyaki on it and was told to broil it til done. though these are tenderloins so maybe broiling isn't the best idea????
Those steaks will be really done if you sear them properly (putting a crust on each side on high heat). A couple of minutes in the oven after that will be medium rare. Another 3-4 minutes for medium. After that you've just ruined it....

Wow, just went cruising some of the older threads in this list.......truly good BBQ discussions in some.

Luckily i talked myself out of reading too much of the BGE stuff.....i can't justify that cost YET!!!

Another recipe for the grill. Did this for the first time on Sat. I did stuffed Vadalia onions for 2 people. Adjust amounts for more

Ingredients:

2 large Vadalia Onions

1/2 pound white semi soft cheese

2 heaping tables spoons of fresh garlic

1/2 package of drained frozen spinach

1/2 cup of grated asiago

1/3 of a package of cream cheese

1/3 of a cup of olive oil

Pinch of salt

Few cranks of the pepper grinder

I sliced off the tops of the two onions and removed the papery exterior. Then used a melon baller to gut the onion till just the outer or two outer layers were left.

The cheese I used was a holey/swiss type from holland. Just something that looked good at the Grocery Store. You could use anything from Swiss to Monteray Jack.

I prefer to buy cheese in blocks and grate it myself but you can do either. I grated about half a pound (a little less actually) and then added the cream chese, the spinach, Asiago, garlic, olive oil, salt and black pepper. I mixed it up until it was spread well through the whole mixture. Feel free to make a bunch extra and throw it in the freezer.

I spooned the mixture into the onions and wrapped them in aluminium foil and put on the grill for about an hour. When they got soft when I squeezed them with the tongs they are done.

Enjoy.....

Outstanding - this absolutely needs to be pinned. :unsure:
:goodposting: At least for the summer (although I grill all year around).
I used to just use the grill for standard fare like burgers and steak. But we have been using it a lot more for fish, vegetables, etc. My wife says I'm going to have to get used to grilling in the winter, as we don't know if we could go back to eating baked salmon or steamed squash.

Outstanding - this absolutely needs to be pinned. :shock:
:thumbup: At least for the summer (although I grill all year around).
I used to just use the grill for standard fare like burgers and steak. But we have been using it a lot more for fish, vegetables, etc. My wife says I'm going to have to get used to grilling in the winter, as we don't know if we could go back to eating baked salmon or steamed squash.
I grill all year long. In fact if it's going to snow I make it a point to grill. My neighbors and my wife think I'm nuts. Last year it was supposed to snow so I cracked out the grill and starter her up. It didn't snow. It was freezing rain and a TON of it. It poured liquid rain all night and froze on contact. I got drenched. I didn't care. I had fun....Even if you don't grill in the true winter, you can still grill well into the Fall and most of the spring giving you a good 9 months to grill. And honestly, grilling in the Summer doesn't make much sense to me. A typical St. Louis Summer day is 95 degrees with 90% humidity. So the money play here is to build a fire and stand near it for a few hours? :cry: :D :hot:

Thanks Shuke. This is awesome. I've been playing around with my Webber 22" kettle the last few weeks, and I already have a few ideas from reading these links.

Joe, please pin this, at least for the summer.

So I smoked a pork loin on Sunday night. Actually a half a loin. I took an entire garlic bulb and skinned all the cloves and sliced them into slivers and cut long slits into the meat and inserted the slivers of garlic.

Then I marinated it for a couple hours in black pepper, Andrea's steak sauce (it's a combination of worscester sauce and garlic and other things) and coke.

I indirected/smoked it on my weber. Put the coals on one side and threw a combo of apple and hickory chips on the fire. I also put slices of bacon on top of the meat the whole time and allowed the bacon to essentially baste the pork. Cooked it for about 5 hours and when it was done it was amazing. The bacon was incredible too. I ate that as an appetizer as I cooked.

I also wrapped some 12-15 U shrimp in a half slices of bacon. Some I wrapped a basil leaf around and then the bacon. Some I put a sprig of rosemary in the butterflied slit before I wrapped in bacon.

I have some pics I will post later....

I also wrapped some 12-15 U shrimp in a half slices of bacon. Some I wrapped a basil leaf around and then the bacon. Some I put a sprig of rosemary in the butterflied slit before I wrapped in bacon.
I do the basil shrimp thing as well. I use prosciutto instead of bacon after a white wine marinade.Looks like I will have to try your variation. Bacon-ummmm.Thanks

So I smoked a pork loin on Sunday night. Actually a half a loin. I took an entire garlic bulb and skinned all the cloves and sliced them into slivers and cut long slits into the meat and inserted the slivers of garlic.Then I marinated it for a couple hours in black pepper, Andrea's steak sauce (it's a combination of worscester sauce and garlic and other things) and coke. I indirected/smoked it on my weber. Put the coals on one side and threw a combo of apple and hickory chips on the fire. I also put slices of bacon on top of the meat the whole time and allowed the bacon to essentially baste the pork. Cooked it for about 5 hours and when it was done it was amazing. The bacon was incredible too. I ate that as an appetizer as I cooked. I also wrapped some 12-15 U shrimp in a half slices of bacon. Some I wrapped a basil leaf around and then the bacon. Some I put a sprig of rosemary in the butterflied slit before I wrapped in bacon. I have some pics I will post later....
Damn that sounds good Fan!

blackdot

Just smoked a ton of pork loin for my nephew's graduation this past weekend. Used a hell of a rub found on virtualweberbullet.com. Good stuff.

I do the basil shrimp thing as well. I use prosciutto instead of bacon after a white wine marinade.Looks like I will have to try your variation. Bacon-ummmm.Thanks
I have too. The prosciutto is great. But I'm not paying what my GC would charge me for it and I wasn't going to be able to head to the little Itilian Market that sells better quality stuff cheaper. So, I went with the bacon with the dual purpose of putting the bacon on the loin as it cooked....I'll try to get the pics up tonight....

I made some ribs this weekend although I'm sure the majority of you will think the process that I used was sacrilegious... :clyde:

Went to the store intending on buying baby back ribs but they had spare ribs on sale for less than half the price ($2.49/lb versus $5.99/lb) so I picked up a about 8 pounds worth. I haven't used spare ribs before but they looked good and meaty so I said, what the heck.

I have a rib rub that I have used many times in the past. I can't remember what's in it exactly but it's damn good. I ripped the membrane of the back of the ribs and gave them a good rinsing in the sink. Instead of caking it on like I have done before, I used a little bit of a lighter coat. It's a strong rub and I wanted to be able to taste more of the meat and the sauce versus the overpowering rub. I put them in some glass baking pans and shoved them in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Since I don't have a smoker or charcoal grill :football: , I use the oven to get them tender without having to spend too much time with maintenance. After running to the store for a few other items, I got home and took the ribs out of the fridge. I cut up a few onions and placed them underneath the ribs. I added a can of Guinness to the two dishes and about another 1/2 can of water. I covered them in foil and popped them in the oven at about 250-275. I checked them every hour or so for tenderness and after about 3.5 hours, they were just like I like them, tender and almost falling off the bone. I took them out of the oven and prepared the rest of the meal (Summer Spinach Salad with corn, red onion and a lime/honey vinagrette, garlic and butter red potatoes and fresh green beans with onion and bacon).

I fired up the gas grill and let the grates heat up to hopefully eliminate my ribs from sticking. After slathering on some of my favorite barbecue sauce, Williamson Brothers from here in Atlanta, I tossed the ribs on the grill for 10-15 minutes total, flipping and slathering more BBQ sauce along the way.

I have made these ribs 10-15x and although this time was spare ribs instead of baby back, they turned out great. I certainly enjoy true, smoked BBQ however without a charcoal grill or smoker, this wasn't a bad way to settle.

For all you Weber Kettle owners....

Just picked this up this week. It's pretty sweet. The bracket attaches to the side of the grill but the shelf is actually a cutting board and is removeable.

I bought mine at Home Depot along with a new grill grate that has the flip up sides and the charcoal baskets to put the charcoal on each side of the grill and leave the center open....

I'm grilling a couple flat-iron steaks tomorrow.

For those who haven't had one before, it's basically a shoulder steak that's specially cut somehow. I don't know what they do to it, but its got all kinds of flavor and more tender than a sirloin for less money. I can get six pounds of this stuff for like 30 bucks.

Just found my new favorite bbq store. BBQ's Galore!!

Went and picked up a new charcoal chimney and grill brush and found the wood chunk shop i've been looking for!

Picked up a couple bags of apple. But they carry cherry, pecan, alder, mesquite and hickory in chunk form. Damn hard to find chunk wood in my area for some reason (or else i've been looking in the wrong places)

So i'm almost ready for the fathers day feast tomorrow!!

Gonna do a couple of the Joe chickens, some racks of babybacks and on the old weber i'll do some non smoked chicken breasts for the youngsters!!!

Hope you all have a great fathers day full of smoke!!!

Another "first" on the grill tonight.

Stuffed tomatoes grilled over indirect heat for about 18 to 20 minutes.

Hollowed out some nice tomatoes and used the following for the stuffing:

*hollowed-out tomato juice and seeds

*garlic

*white wine

*olive oil

*oregano

*grated Parmesan & Romano cheese

*mushrooms

* S&P

*Italian bread crumbs

Saying goodbye to my little weber kettle. Had it for about 8 years. the coating in the inside of the lid is cracking so the heat barrier is partially gone. Also tired of the mess from the ash (not a "gold" model with the ash catcher).

Was looking into getting a Weber Gold or a Char-Griller when I came across this:

BBQ Grillware

It is a Lowes brand. The thing is an absolute monster (extremely heavy construction). Essentially a barrel grirl dress in stainless steel.

Haven't taken it out of the box yet. Can't find any reviews anywhere.

:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread