#1 Memphis Foundry

Memphis Foundry

The King of Wishful Thinking

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 7,223 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

If you have a problem logging in to the site for subscriber content or staying logged in to the site, it typically is caused by one of two issues -- either our server is having problems setting cookies in your browser or reading them back, or the automatic login form filler in your browser that saves your passwords has saved an incorrect password for our subscriber site. The form filler settings are contained within your browser but the need for cookies to be enabled is a requirement of our software.

We set a couple of cookies to your browser when you log in to the subscriber site so that our server can tell if you are logged in or not when you click on a page that is for subscribers only. If our server doesn't find the cookies it's looking for on your machine, it can't tell if you are logged in or not, so the system displays a login screen. Once you log in, the cookie remains effective for 21 days so you don't have to log in over and over. So if you are unable to log in to the site or are continually being asked to log in over and over, there is probably something preventing our login cookies from being set on your machine.

To troubleshoot issues logging in to the subscriber site, please do the following:

1.) Go to the following page: http://subscribers.f...ber/logout.php -- this will log you out of the site by clearing your cookies, so if there is a problem with a cookie that cannot be overwritten, etc., this step will clear out the damaged cookie and could allow the system to set the cookie correctly upon your next login.

2.) Go to this page: http://subscribers.f...ember/login.php and request a password reminder by email. You can use your login name or email address to request the password reminder.

3.) When your password reminder email arrives, go to the Footballguys home page and try to log in. Instead of typing out your username and password, copy the username and password info from the reminder email you received and paste it into the login form. This reduces the problems created by the "auto form fillers" that most browsers have these days -- sometimes if you type in the info, the password field will auto-fill with an incorrect value from a previous login attempt. Also, depending on the font your machine uses to display the website, sometimes lowercase letter Ls and 1s look alike, and so do zeros and letter Os. And our logins are case sensitive. This will rule out those problems.

4.) If you're still unable to log in, check the time and date on your local machine. In most Windows versions, if you double-click the clock in the right-hand corner of your taskbar at the bottom of the screen, a popup window will display the system time and date settings for your PC. If your clock or calendar settings are wrong by more than about 15 minutes, go ahead and update them to the correct values and click on the "OK" button to save them. Cookies have a timing element to them, so it is possible that if you PC clock is very different from our server's clock, the cookies may not be set as they may be timed to "expire" before they are actually received by your machine.

5.) Next, check your browser's privacy settings to make sure that cookies from Footballguys.com are allowed to be set. For the AOL browser, you can visit this page for instructions on how to allow cookies: http://webmaster.inf...ookieguide.html. In IE, you can get to this screen by clicking on the "Tools" menu, selecting "Internet Options", and then clicking on the "Privacy" tab. In Firefox, you can view your cookie settings by clicking on the "Tools" menu, selecting "Options", and then clicking on the "Privacy" icon.

Once there you can see there at a glance how strict your browser is about allowing cookies. In Firefox, make sure that the checkbox next to "Accept cookies from sites" is checked. In IE, "Medium" is the default setting and should work fine for Footballguys.com. Just to be safe, you can also make an exception in IE to always allow Footballguys to set cookies by clicking on the "Sites" button, typing in "*.footballguys.com" (without quotes) in the "Address of Web Site" box, and then clicking the "Allow" button. You should see "footballguys.com Always Allow" appear in the "Managed Web Sites" box at the bottom of the screen. Click the "OK" button to save the changes, close all your browser instances, and reopen IE and surf back to http://www.footballguys.com to test it out.

6.) If you still are unable to log in or stay logged in to the site, you may want to clear the cookies in your browser, or at least the ones that come from footballguys.com. This is not often necessary but it is sometimes required if a cookie becomes corrupt or contains bad data. This page contains instructions on how to clear cookies in most modern browsers: http://www.aboutcook...ult.aspx?page=2

7.) If none of these things work, then you may have some sort of security software interfering with the cookie being set. It's also possible that you might have one or more software firewalls. If you are using ZoneAlarm, McAfee Internet Security, Norton Personal Firewall, Windows Firewall (if you are running Windows XP Service Pack 2), Tiny Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, or McAfee, then you might want to check the configuration of these products to see what their settings are in regards to allowing cookies. Depending on the product, they may have a "whitelist" that you can add Footballguys.com to, similar to the setting changes we made in IE Privacy in Step 2 above. If they do, try adding footballguys.com to the allowed sites list and restart your browser each time before testing to see if the configuration change was successful.

These steps have solved over 95% of the login issues we've received over the last few years, but if they do not correct the issue for you then please post the symptoms of the issue you're seeing in this forum along with any error messages you're receiving and we'll help you track down the problem.

If God were to come down right now: "Terry, what can I do for ya?" Send me ... Put me back in one Super Bowl, and put me on the one-foot line, and give me two minutes to go and give me all three of my timeouts and give me my boys. And let me hear my name over the loudspeaker -- let me hear the roar of the crowd -- "BRAD-shaw! BRAD-shaw!" -- let me have 'em booing on one side. Let me get in and call plays -- see their eyes grow as I call these plays -- and talk to 'em. Let me feel the hair on my back crawl up -- I mean, that's what the Super Bowl does to ya. I mean, it's ... I mean, it's doing it right now to me. I mean, I can go out right now and play -- I know I can play two minutes.

-- Terry Bradshaw (1994)

Get Inside With a Footballguys Subscription - The Audible - Footballguys Podcast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users