NCPanthersFan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 891 posts
  • Joined 07-August 03

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

Hey All -

I am holding my draft at the end of the summer. Each year I have tried to kick it up a notch, fun wise. I am looking for any additional ideas because I am potentially hitting a wall this year.

No idea is to small. It is often the little things that make it better.

Off the top of my head, here are some current staples in the draft:

1. Lottery for division slotting.
2. NFL Cheerleader slide-show.
3. Pig Cook and open bar
4. 12'x12' draft board via projector. (Normally use the Sportsline draft room but this year I am considering purchasing FanDraft software (www.fandraft.com). Is anyone using this software this year? It gives the draftboard a nice look.
5. League-wide tequilla shot to kick off the 1st pick.
6. Internet access and a spare PC for owners to do any draft day homework.

Some things I am debating this year:

1. League T-Shirts
2. League Shot Glass
3. Live Music (for after draft)
4. Bikini-Clad Bartender during Live Draft.

Thanks!

#2 steviey

steviey

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,287 posts
  • Joined 12-September 05

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

I like the league shot glass idea. Like the shot to kick it off too.

I'm looking into some live music for after the draft this year too. Even for an hour or two. Nothing fancy.

One thing that we do is divide the league into two teams. We attach a hula hoop to the clothes line, which is in the middle of the two teams. Each team would be about 20 feet or so from the hoop. We take turns trying to throw a football through the hoop. Each member of each team throws once per game. You just go back and forth until everyone has thrown once. Keep track of each side's score. Once everyone has thrown the losing team does a shot. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.............Gets the competitive juices flowing and with each shot the party gets better :goodposting:

#3 bentley

bentley

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,197 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:Booze

iChicks

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

If you're using a projector, you could have a loop of funny fantasy commercials/NFL commercials/BradyFan83 videos running before the draft. I'm going to put one together this year.

We're playing paintball the morning of the draft this year. We've also played golf, gone tubing, and watched Beerfest at a theater that served alcohol together on draft day in previous years.

We've had a stripper deal cards at the post-draft poker tournament before.
A properly executed intervention places you at a huge disadvantage. You are caught off guard, heavily outnumbered and most likely badly hungover. An intervention is a sneak attack, a very personal Pearl Harbor. You think your life is careening happily along like a brilliantly out-of-control speed boat and suddenly Japanese zeros (piloted by your friends, no less) are shrieking out of the sky to drop thousand-pound guilt bombs on your happy little ship.

Nobody cares about your fantasy team.

#4 glumpy

glumpy

breeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,509 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

3. Pig Cook and open bar5. League-wide tequilla shot to kick off the 1st pick.

These two have basically carried us for 12 years! :goodposting:
-~- S -~- L -~- O -~- W -~-

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

"If you don't like the way I'm living--you just leave this long-haired country boy alone."

#5 Tiger Fan

Tiger Fan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,833 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

We'll be using fandraft software as well for the first time. Also, we're going to draft on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, which happens to be the first saturday of college FB, so we're having an entire "football day" with some different bets going throughout the day.

My current offerings/needs in FFA Swap Shop - here

#6 bentley

bentley

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,197 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

iChicks

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

We also send a group out to find the most....questionable...."film" available to watch the afternoon of the draft. Repeating the names of some of our recent rentals would probably result in seven lifetime bans. Let's just say that you haven't lived until you've seen a woman express her love for four or five men at the same time.

And, we do an auction draft. I built the auction spreadsheet to keep up with a whole bunch of different stats (money remaining, average spent per position, projected point totals for starters and entire rosters) throughout the draft to keep it interesting.

Edited by bentley, 15 July 2007 - 12:56 PM.

A properly executed intervention places you at a huge disadvantage. You are caught off guard, heavily outnumbered and most likely badly hungover. An intervention is a sneak attack, a very personal Pearl Harbor. You think your life is careening happily along like a brilliantly out-of-control speed boat and suddenly Japanese zeros (piloted by your friends, no less) are shrieking out of the sky to drop thousand-pound guilt bombs on your happy little ship.

#7 steviey

steviey

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,287 posts
  • Joined 12-September 05

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

One more thing, assuming it's not raining, we draft outside. We line up about three of those long tables. On a nice summer day it can't be beat.

#8 taco breath

taco breath

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 991 posts
  • Joined 19-November 03

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:05 PM

i like the lottery for divisions.
thank you for not breeding

#9 belljr

belljr

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30,076 posts
  • Joined 15-June 05

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

Draft Board and woman in bikini or topless works the board

trys

#10 [scooter]

[scooter]

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,447 posts
  • Joined 23-July 06

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

Kill the draft, go with an auction.

#11 westyplz

westyplz

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts
  • Joined 28-June 07

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:34 PM

Kill the draft, go with an auction.

:goodposting:
~~ American Idol 7 salary cap game winner ~~

#12 Flying V

Flying V

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,061 posts
  • Joined 20-June 05

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

Lap dance for the first person to draft a rookie.

#13 NCPanthersFan

NCPanthersFan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 891 posts
  • Joined 07-August 03

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

All excellent responses, as I knew it would be.

This is definitely a homer league where there will be plenty of draft magazines so I doubt an auction would ever fly. I could definitely see how that could be fun in this atmosphere though.

I liked the idea about the dealer. I am marking that one down. We play a bunch of poker and that never ocurred to me. The only possible drawback is that the spouses eventually arrive some time that evening. There may be one or 2 who won't be happy that the stripper is still there.

I am trying to get a league wide golf game the day before but this group can not control themselves therefore I am currently hearing "I dont want to be hungover on draft day, I want to be hungover the day after". About 3/4 of the league graduated HS 20 years ago together and they only see everyone each year of the draft. The alcohol flows like a water spicket.

#!@#$ I never correlated Labor Day weekend with the start of College. That would have been a good idea. I let the guys flying in choose the date so they went with end of August to avoid the price hike over labor day weekend.

I also like the idea of some kind of football toss. It would have to be something that gained you something on draft day. Half these guys drink a 5th by themselves so the additional shot is like putting a bullet in a dead horse.

Edited by NCPanthersFan, 15 July 2007 - 04:40 PM.

#14 Zowned

Zowned

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,530 posts
  • Joined 10-July 05

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:42 PM

From who? :mellow:

#15 Flying V

Flying V

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,061 posts
  • Joined 20-June 05

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

From who? :mellow:

I'd prefer a female stripper, but whatever works for you.

#16 bentley

bentley

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,197 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

iChicks

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:41 PM

This is definitely a homer league where there will be plenty of draft magazines so I doubt an auction would ever fly. I could definitely see how that could be fun in this atmosphere though.

I liked the idea about the dealer. I am marking that one down. We play a bunch of poker and that never ocurred to me. The only possible drawback is that the spouses eventually arrive some time that evening. There may be one or 2 who won't be happy that the stripper is still there.

I am trying to get a league wide golf game the day before but this group can not control themselves therefore I am currently hearing "I dont want to be hungover on draft day, I want to be hungover the day after". About 3/4 of the league graduated HS 20 years ago together and they only see everyone each year of the draft. The alcohol flows like a water spicket.

#!@#$ I never correlated Labor Day weekend with the start of College. That would have been a good idea. I let the guys flying in choose the date so they went with end of August to avoid the price hike over labor day weekend.

I also like the idea of some kind of football toss. It would have to be something that gained you something on draft day. Half these guys drink a 5th by themselves so the additional shot is like putting a bullet in a dead horse.

Our league is fairly similar (except that we graduated 15 years ago). That's why we dumped golf and tubing (which take about four hours each) for paintball (which can be played in two). Everyone's usually wishing for death by the time 6 PM Saturday comes around and it's time for the draft to start. Of course, that doesn't stop us from planning a big weekend every year and overdoing it. The best part of having no self control is not realizing that you don't have self control.

#17 CBusAlex

CBusAlex

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,565 posts
  • Joined 14-January 05

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the draft.

I would support a Hitler Day

#18 Just Win Baby

Just Win Baby

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17,441 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

Last year a bunch of guys went to see Invincible before the draft. We played poker after the draft and then walked to the oceanfront to hit the bars. Great time. :thumbdown:

#19 offdee

offdee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

10 team leauge....we call this the "Draft Slammers". Commish decides on the particular 9 players before the Draft.

Draft Slammers Rules:

~ Drafting one of the below 9 players allows you to pick a GM's name out of a bowl.

~ The GM's name that is chosen out of the bowl must slam a FULL can/bottle of beer.

~ Whenever your name is chosen you must slam the beer…even if you pick your own name.

~ The draft will not proceed until the FULL beer is finished.

~ Since there are 10 G.M.'s and only 9 "Slammer" picks, one G.M. will not have to slam a beer and
will then be considered "The Un-Chosen One".

~ Once "The Un-Chosen One" is discovered he has the power to give out ONE more "Slammer" to
the G.M. of his choice at anytime through the completion of the draft.
:style:

#20 NCPanthersFan

NCPanthersFan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 891 posts
  • Joined 07-August 03

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:39 PM

Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the draft.

:goodposting:

10 team leauge....we call this the "Draft Slammers". Commish decides on the particular 9 players before the Draft.Draft Slammers Rules:~ Drafting one of the below 9 players allows you to pick a GM's name out of a bowl. ~ The GM's name that is chosen out of the bowl must slam a FULL can/bottle of beer. ~ Whenever your name is chosen you must slam the beer…even if you pick your own name. ~ The draft will not proceed until the FULL beer is finished. ~ Since there are 10 G.M.'s and only 9 "Slammer" picks, one G.M. will not have to slam a beer and will then be considered "The Un-Chosen One". ~ Once "The Un-Chosen One" is discovered he has the power to give out ONE more "Slammer" to the G.M. of his choice at anytime through the completion of the draft.

That is a ton of beer going down.

#21 offdee

offdee

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

10 team leauge....we call this the "Draft Slammers". Commish decides on the particular 9 players before the Draft.Draft Slammers Rules:~ Drafting one of the below 9 players allows you to pick a GM's name out of a bowl. ~ The GM's name that is chosen out of the bowl must slam a FULL can/bottle of beer. ~ Whenever your name is chosen you must slam the beer…even if you pick your own name. ~ The draft will not proceed until the FULL beer is finished. ~ Since there are 10 G.M.'s and only 9 "Slammer" picks, one G.M. will not have to slam a beer and will then be considered "The Un-Chosen One". ~ Once "The Un-Chosen One" is discovered he has the power to give out ONE more "Slammer" to the G.M. of his choice at anytime through the completion of the draft.

That is a ton of beer going down.

Not really, it's only one full beer per GM...once your name is picked it's out of the running of getting picked again. Only one guy has to do 2 full beers if he gets picked by the "unchosen one"So, out of 10 guys....- 1 guy doesn't have to slam anything (the unchosen one)- 8 guys have to slam 1 beer- 1 guy has to slam 2 beers (the one picked to drink by the unchosen one)Not that big of a deal really, just something fun to do throughout.
:style:

#22 CheeseHead

CheeseHead

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

Thought this was an interesting thread. Any other ideas or annual rituals out there?
1 pt/10 yds rec/rush, 1 pt/20 yds pass.
Double pts for non-rb's rushing yds/td's and non-wr's receiving yds/td's.

Start 1qb, 2rbs, 3wrs, 1te, 1k, 1dt, 1st, 1hc per week

Roster
QB's:
RB's:
WR's:
TE's:
K's:
DT's:

#23 BroadwayG

BroadwayG

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12,178 posts
  • Joined 28-May 04
  • Interests:Oh, I don't know. Play chess... screw...

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:43 PM

Naked Day!
}=O)

#24 geewill

geewill

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 515 posts
  • Joined 20-April 07

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:08 PM

Ballet Parking!

#25 johnnyrock62000

johnnyrock62000

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,650 posts
  • Joined 22-August 03

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

Special award to embarrass the Toilet Bowl loser?

We're from MN so one league I'm in has a Packers jersey that the loser must put on and wear for a bit. Gets his picture taken, gets razzed quite a bit, etc. Kinda fun.
Someone once told me, "When you want to sound profound, just quote something someone else said."

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for them. - Malcolm S. Forbes

#26 Sand

Sand

FBG firee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,799 posts
  • Joined 24-April 03

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

1. Lottery for division slotting.

4. 12'x12' draft board via projector. (Normally use the Sportsline draft room but this year I am considering purchasing FanDraft software (www.fandraft.com). Is anyone using this software this year? It gives the draftboard a nice look.

We did these this year - worked great. I wrote the Fandraft guy a manifesto last year and they really improved their software - implemented most of what I suggested.

We have a draft day golf game. It is as competitive as the draft.

Making the league better? I introduced upgraded trophies last year and they went over really well. The toilet bowl trophy "upgrade", in particular, got folks really concentrating on not winning the thing.

Winner Tropy.

Toilet Bowl "Winner".
FFA Podium Results
FFA Race Calendar

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H.L Mencken

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. -Sir Winston Churchill

#27 bentley

bentley

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,197 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

iChicks

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:33 PM

Our league is fairly similar (except that we graduated 15 years ago). That's why we dumped golf and tubing (which take about four hours each) for paintball (which can be played in two). Everyone's usually wishing for death by the time 6 PM Saturday comes around and it's time for the draft to start. Of course, that doesn't stop us from planning a big weekend every year and overdoing it. The best part of having no self control is not realizing that you don't have self control.

That's one gigantic ####### welt on my arm from Saturday's paintball.

BigBottom's "Brady" was a big hit on the projector just before the auction started.

The "film" selection from this year was a bit much even for me. I don't think those six guys showed that one girl the love and respect she needed.

It's always fun when someone announces that they've quit drinking because it put them in a bad place...and decided to take up smoking copious amounts of dope instead. And, it really improved his disposition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users