What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DAILY Broncos Training Camp Report (1 Viewer)

Cecil Lammey

Footballguy
It's that time of year again, and I can't wait!

I will be out at Dove Valley every day covering the Broncos training camp for AM 950 The Fan, and for all of us here in the Shark Pool. Fully credentialed of course, and hope to get some nice interviews for the Audible.

Bloom is also coming down next week to cover TC with me. :excited: It should be a great time, especially when Alfred Williams, Bloom, and me hit the Purple Martini. :banned:

Each day I will report my views from camp right here in this thread, but what are some of the battles that the mighty Shark Pool would like me to keep a close eye on?

Last edited by a moderator:

I will be out at Dove Valley every day covering the Broncos training camp for AM 950 The Fan, and for all of us here in the Shark Pool. Fully credentialed of course, and hope to get some nice interviews for the Audible.

Bloom is also coming down next week to cover TC with me. :excited: It should be a great time, especially when Alfred Williams, Bloom, and me hit the Purple Martini. :banned:

Each day I will report my views from camp right here in this thread, but what are some of the battles that the mighty Shark Pool would like me to keep a close eye on?
Woohoo! As a Bronco fan in Florida, I don't think you understand how much I've been looking forward to this thread. :) Edit: I know I'm one of those weirdos who actually cares about the OL, but I think the biggest question mark for me is who is getting the first-team reps at RG and RT, as well as who is looking good with the opportunities that they're getting.

Most may be interested in Cutler/Marshall/Henry but I'm really interested to hear specifics about Mike Bell's progress. I think he's been prematurely written off despite the fact he was fairly consistent as a rookie.

Woohoo! As a Bronco fan in Florida, I don't think you understand how much I've been looking forward to this thread. :) Edit: I know I'm one of those weirdos who actually cares about the OL, but I think the biggest question mark for me is who is getting the first-team reps at RG and RT, as well as who is looking good with the opportunities that they're getting.
SSOG you're my boy! So fitting that you are the first to post in this year's thread. This is my 4th year of covering it each day, and I'm so excited that I can't sleep!

I'd like to hear about how Cutler is looking and jelling with the WRs, especially Walker. I know last year Walker was barely heard of when Cutler was under the helm, was that Cutler getting acquainted, or a sign of things to come?

Cecil,

please ask around if there's any Al Wilson update.

Seems likely that he figured he could still play having tried out for the G-men (and failed a physical) so I'm curious what the other players thoughts are. Might be an uncomfy question for their invincible mindsets so, just looking for anything ya hear, it's not necessary to ask a player. Anything is appreciated.

For me, a non Bronco fan but fan of the sport, I see Rod as the last of an era for the Broncos team history. His health, his career ending, I bet there are some pretty great stories about the guy that some of his teammates could tell.

Stokely lining up wide at all? Or just in the slot?

Curious if Champ spends any time coverring the TE in camp

Daniel Graham's hands. As a Pats fan, I expect you (a few times) will come back and post how he just plowed someone over with one of his blocks. I want to know how well he's catching the ball though, how often. He has the ability to be the Broncos main TE IMO but ...eh well you get the point

thanks Cec

Eddie Moore news please ... :shock:
And more specifically, who is getting all the first team reps at SLB? Who has the inside edge for third on the safety depth chart now that Brandon has been released?Is the DL rotation going to continue to sub in and out all four depending on whether it is a passing or running down? Or will a set of starters emerge?How will Moss (once signed) and Dumervil look in Bates' defensive scheme? Will their pass rushing talents be well suited to lining up wide and taking on tackles one-on-one?Lots of interesting storylines at Broncos camp...

Cecil - KIA (Kudos in advance) - I really enjoyed your reports last year, and am so looking forward to this year. With TC camp starting so late, I hope you were able to make it to CFD this year :goodposting:

Some specific things I'm interested to learn about:

1. WR's in general - health of RSmith, progression of BMarshall, How Hixon looks, what roles the various WR's will play, etc.

2. What is going on @ LB? (basically echoing Busman)

3. may be difficult to tell outside of a game, but how Bates D will differ than Coyer

4. keep an eye on Bly

Cecil - good on you

I would like to know how Tony Scheffler is coming along.

PS - when you hit the Purple Martini - ask them if they have Blue Ice Vodka (finest premium American Vodka made in Idaho from potatoes)

I'm very interested in the progress of Dominik Hixon.
Time for my third annual "Denver WR3" post, copied from last year's TC thread. Every year a WR3 is the talk of camps. I have no idea why, but it always is. Here are some fun little numbers to throw a touch of water on the fire. I copied this from last year's thread, with nothing but the subject and the numbers updated.The Annual "SSoG Tempers Expectations for (Insert WR3 Candidate Here)".

2007 Edition: Dominik Hixon

I'll make this short and sweet. Here is a short list of WR3s who were talked about as "The Next Big Thing" in Denver, as well as the numbers they put up in their best year in Denver. Not necessarily the year they were pimped- their best year *EVER*.

Brandon Marshall (20/309/2)

Darius Watts (31/385/1)

Triandos Luke (6/52/0)

Ashley Lelie (54/1084/7)

Kevin Kasper (8/84/0)

Chris Cole (9/128/0)

Eddie Kennison (15/169/1)

Scottie Montgomery (11/99/0)

Travis McGriff (2/51/1)

I'm very interested in the progress of Dominik Hixon.
Time for my third annual "Denver WR3" post, copied from last year's TC thread. Every year a WR3 is the talk of camps. I have no idea why, but it always is. Here are some fun little numbers to throw a touch of water on the fire. I copied this from last year's thread, with nothing but the subject and the numbers updated.The Annual "SSoG Tempers Expectations for (Insert WR3 Candidate Here)".

2007 Edition: Dominik Hixon

I'll make this short and sweet. Here is a short list of WR3s who were talked about as "The Next Big Thing" in Denver, as well as the numbers they put up in their best year in Denver. Not necessarily the year they were pimped- their best year *EVER*.

Brandon Marshall (20/309/2)

Darius Watts (31/385/1)

Triandos Luke (6/52/0)

Ashley Lelie (54/1084/7)

Kevin Kasper (8/84/0)

Chris Cole (9/128/0)

Eddie Kennison (15/169/1)

Scottie Montgomery (11/99/0)

Travis McGriff (2/51/1)
what if Rod Smith is WR3? As I've said in another thread - I'm not convinced that the lack of production by the Denver WR3 is a function of scheme, rather it's a function of lack of talent. This team is as deep @ WR as any team I've ever seen, IMO.

what if Rod Smith is WR3? As I've said in another thread - I'm not convinced that the lack of production by the Denver WR3 is a function of scheme, rather it's a function of lack of talent. This team is as deep @ WR as any team I've ever seen, IMO.
I agree. If anyone as talented as Rod Smith or... oh, I don't know, let's say Ed McCaffrey... were to play WR3 for Denver, he'd be good for at least 19/195/0.It's a scheme thing. When Lelie was WR3, he had 35/525/2 (while McCaffrey had 900 yards). The next season, Lelie was #2 and McCaffrey was #3, and McCaffrey's numbers dropped to 19/195/0. Besides, are you really convinced that Dominik Hixon is so much more talented than Watts or Triandos Luke? The third WR in Denver is always going to be the 4th option at best, and frequently the 5th option, given how involved the TEs are in the passing game.

Anything on J.Moss, Crowder, M.Thomas would be awesome to see how the rookies are coming along.

Also how is Dre Bly fitting in and are they making Bailey play press coverage, a staple of the Bates system.

Any differences that are noticeable in the Bates system?

How is Sam Adams?

Basically, defense, defense, defense.

Thanks as always Cec.

Big Mex,

Love this thread, GB. :thumbdown:

In addition to the RB talk, I'd like to hear some IDP work. Namely, what's the LB situation - and what do they really look like? Can DJ Williams really handle the MLB role? Ian Gold still the unheralded stud? Is the front four good enough to free up these guys to make some plays?

Also - is Simeon Rice on Shanny's speed dial?

Broncos | Moore may go on IR

Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:04:33 -0700

The Denver Broncos have announced LB Eddie Moore (knee) will be placed on Injured Reserve if he clears waivers.

Broncos | Moore waived

Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:01:42 -0700

The Denver Broncos have announced they have waived LB Eddie Moore (knee) after he failed his physical.

;(

Broncos | Moore may go on IRSun, 29 Jul 2007 08:04:33 -0700The Denver Broncos have announced LB Eddie Moore (knee) will be placed on Injured Reserve if he clears waivers.Broncos | Moore waivedSun, 29 Jul 2007 08:01:42 -0700The Denver Broncos have announced they have waived LB Eddie Moore (knee) after he failed his physical.;(
He was in line to start in Bates defense, tough break for them.

Broncos | Moore may go on IRSun, 29 Jul 2007 08:04:33 -0700The Denver Broncos have announced LB Eddie Moore (knee) will be placed on Injured Reserve if he clears waivers.Broncos | Moore waivedSun, 29 Jul 2007 08:01:42 -0700The Denver Broncos have announced they have waived LB Eddie Moore (knee) after he failed his physical.;(
The report is that if Moore clears waivers, he will be placed on IR.

Training Camp Day 1: Morning Session

Mason's Morsels

Never before have I heard a coach excoriate his players for not celebrating enough. But never before today had I watched assistant head coach/defense Jim Bates conduct a training camp session.

It was midway through nine-on-seven drills, and I was standing about 75 yards away from the action, manning the east practice field where the cornerbacks and wide receivers were concurrently going through one-on-one work. In the middle of the receiving work, a gunnery sergeant-like voice bellows from the opposite field. Bates was angry — not at a missed play, but at a lack of enthusiasm from his defense after Sam Adams forced a fumble.

The crowd responded with its loudest roar of the day.

“They did react, huh?” Bates said. He was so focused on the moment that he barely noticed.

“This is a different individual that we’re dealing with,” safety Nick Ferguson deadpanned. “People always say to play this game you have to be a little insane, but sometimes it starts at the top. We’re all insane. It starts with Coach Bates, though.”

Bates’ charges had a good morning, punctuated when his first-team defense notched a pair of sacks of Patrick Ramsey during the “move-the-ball” drill at the end of practice. Safety Curome Cox nearly had two interceptions, while Champ Bailey jumped a pass and grabbed it after Quincy Morgan faked in one direction during one-on-one drills.

But what Bates liked most from his defense was its performance against the run.

“I like the way we played against the run — we played with a lot of muscle,” he said. “This is the first day. There’s so much room for improvement, but just coming out here, the biggest improvement from minicamp was how we fit blocks and how strong we were at the point of attack.”

“It was a good first day overall,” Head Coach Mike Shanahan added.

Other quick notes:… Javon Walker and Nate Webster rose slowly from a collision late in the session, but both should be fine. Walker turned in the catch of the day a few plays later, grabbing a pass from Jay Cutler that Karl Paymah had tipped skyward. Walker lunged for the ball, snared it and finished off a 14-yard gain …

… The only players to miss the morning session — besides those on the physically-unable-to-perform list — were tackle Doug Nienhuis and cornerback Lamont Reid, both of whom were injured in NFL Europa …

… More to follow shortly, including a breakdown of the first, second and third units on offense and defense, the weather report, more notes, photos, and some thoughts from Broncos players.

I'm as bullish as any other Broncos' fan when it comes to expectations for the 2007 season, but I'm starting to realize that depth doesn't currently seem to be the strength I once considered it.

To point:

1) The release of Al Wilson created a natural void for the athletic D.J. Williams to move into, but it's become clear that the Broncos didn't have a backup plan on the roster for SLB. With Moore done for the year, it'll be up to one of the FA additions to step up and become the starter. Given Warrick Holdman's starter status with Washington last year (although I'm not sure that is a very strong endorsement), I'm hopeful he can earn and keep the SAM spot. At least that position is only asked to play running downs.

2) The WRs corps is ailing (or recovering) from two to four on the depth chart, and unless they get healthy quickly, the passing game could be decimated with one Javon Walker misstep. Knowing his injury history, I'm concerned.

3) Safety has to be a concern, as many Broncos' fans had this worry on their radar even before Sam Brandon was released. Who is going to fill the "big nickel" DB role? Will we even attempt such a thing this year? Will Champ have to line up opposite Gates and Gonzalez in obvious passing situations? Will Foxworth once again be called on to play safety if either (or both) of the starters go out?

4) I like how many DL have been brought in to compete for playing time in Jim Bates' system, but the fact that no separation between starters and second stringers has emerged through OTAs and minicamp is potentially problematic. On one hand, we could have eight serviceable lineman that we can keep fresh by using wholesale "line changes" depending on the perceived play situation. That would be great. The other side of that coin is that we don't have a unit that has emerged as considerably better than the rest of the depth chart.

I do think our depth at QB, RB, TE, OL, and CB is good to great, so I guess I'm just doing the kind of nitpicking a super bowl contender has to deal with during the preaseason.

WR depth is a concern, but I'm not worried about SLB depth. They will on be in non-nickel situations anyway, and denver plays a lot of nickel. Holdman and Lewis aren't great, but they should be decent enough at SLB.

Safety is not much of a concern with Ferguson coming back from an injury, but apparently Cox and Hazmallah have impressed thus far, so there isn't a strong desire to go and overspend for CHiefs Wesley. Also Foxworth has experience at safety as well.

My only concern along the d-line is the DE opposite Ekuban. It appears that Engelberger will be in on rushing downs, and Dumervile will come in on passing situations. I wouldn't be suprised to see Crowder overtake Engelberger before long, and on passing situations to see Moss come in for Ekuban who might go to DT during those situations.

Apparently Adams has been an absolute force at DT, and Kennedy and Warren are playing well. Also Thomas has been tearing things up as well. DT looks pretty good.

Every team has weakspots or places were depth isn't ideal. But that is expected in todays salary cap.

Just a note on who has shown up on what team for the Broncos...

OFFENSIVE LINE UPS: SUNDAY

* Wide Outs: Other than Walker everyone rotated between teams.

* Tight Ends: Daniel Graham remained the primary TE with Stephen Alexander and Nate Jackson both getting some reps on the 1st Team. Teyo Johnson worked exclusively with the 2nd and 3rd Teams.

* Running Backs: The surprise here was that RB Andre Hall (one of my favorite unknown Broncos) actually got some 1st Team reps today! However, Travis Henry had the majority of reps as expected.

* O-line:

* 1st Team O-line was unchanged from minicamp: LT Matt Lepsis, LG Ben Hamilton, C Tom Nalen, RG Chris Kuper and RT Erik Pears.

* 2nd Team O-line consisted of: LT Ryan Harris, LG Chris Myers, C Greg Eslinger, RG Montrae Holland and RT Adam Meadows.

* 3rd Team O-line featured: LT Cliff Washburn, LG Emmanuel Akah, C Mark Fenton, RG Kevin McAlmont and RT Jacob Rogers.

DEFENSIVE LINE UPS: SUNDAY

* D-line:

* 1st Team D-line included: DE’s Ebenezer Ekuban and John Engelberger, DT’s Gerard Warren and Sam Adams.

* 2nd Team D-line consisted of: DE’s Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder, DT’s Jimmy Kennedy and Alvin McKinley.

* 3rd Team D-line featured: DE’s Kenard Lang and Elvis Dumervil, DT’s Marcus Thomas and Amon Gordon.

DIME PACKAGE NOTE: Jarvis Moss and Elvis Dumervil played DE and Ekuban slide inside to one of the tackle slots.

* Linebackers:

* 1st Team LB’s: SAM Warrick Holdman, WILL Ian Gold, MIKE D.J. Williams

* 2nd Team LB’s: Outside LB’s Louis Green and D.D. Lewis, MIKE Nate Webster

* 3rd Team LB’s: Outside LB’s Wesly Mallard and T.J. Hollowell, MIKE Cameron Vaughn

* Secondary: No surprises here as CB’s Champ Bailey and Dre’ Bly and Safeties Nick Ferguson and John Lynch played on the 1st Team. Foxworth and Cox joined the 1st Team during work on the Dime Package.

Just a note on who has shown up on what team for the Broncos...

* Running Backs: The surprise here was that RB Andre Hall (one of my favorite unknown Broncos) actually got some 1st Team reps today! However, Travis Henry had the majority of reps as expected.
thanks for the report... if you don't mind, how did Andre Hall look with the ball? Compare him to Henry if you like.
Unfortunately I'm not at camp this year! :lmao: But Kaylore over on the Orange Mane is there and this is his report on the RB's...

Travis Henry: He looked “ok” much more impressive in the passing game. I think it will take him some time to learn the system, but in protection and as a receiver he was the best of the bunch. As a runner his vision was “ok” but not amazing. That will take time. He tries to cover up well and keeps his balance in his strides.

Mike Bell: Bell was the best at finding the holes, slashing, and generally making things happen as a pure runner. He was less impressive in the passing game. I think of all the backs he “gets it” or he understands how it’s supposed to work. Still not the best speed but more burst than last year, which could either be first day excitement, or the offseason program.

Andre Hall: Hall was very impressive indeed. He had a lot of burst, speed and his runners instincts are impressive. He’s very compact and fast and reminds me a bit of Jones-Drew. He did a lot of little things like as he broke free and saw defenders coming on the right side, he effortlessly switched the ball to his left arm and used his right as a stiff arm. He would shift the ball depending on where the defenders were to protect it and would cover up in traffic. Great speed and vision. I was surprised.

Cecil Sapp: He pretty much ran right at guys and tried to bowl them over and I think that’s just his style. He didn’t break anything huge, though.

Selvin Young: Probably the least impressive. His balance was poor and he would lean forward too much. As he over leans into his runs, his arm would come away from the ball exposing it to attack and whatnot. Turf monster got him a few times.
I'm happy to see other people are pleased with Andre Hall... I'd like to see him do well! :goodposting:

My only concern along the d-line is the DE opposite Ekuban. It appears that Engelberger will be in on rushing downs, and Dumervile will come in on passing situations. I wouldn't be suprised to see Crowder overtake Engelberger before long, and on passing situations to see Moss come in for Ekuban who might go to DT during those situations.
Remember that Denver also wants to slide Dumerville in to DT in obvious passing situations, too. They were going to do a lot more of it last year, but he didn't have time to learn the DT *AND* the DE responsibilities, so they had him focus on DE and put the DT idea on the backburner. I expect to see him spending more time inside this year- maybe Ekuban, Dumerville, Thomas, Moss as an obvious passing down D-Line?

Users who are viewing this thread